Page 28 of 95 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't keep tabs on this guy. Can he play PF alongside Poeltl? Would he be upset coming off the bench? Maybe the idea is to trade him to a third team and that's where the interest comes from if it is at all legitimate.
    I don't think he's mobile enough to play the 4 and he's a starter for sure. Much better player than Poeltl offensively but not in his league when it comes to D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So not even in small spurts, huh? Damn...

DeMar for Nikola works straight up...

Anyone who thinks LMA and Gay for Nikola gets it done is out of their mind...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such a square peg fit if you’re keeping Poeltl otherwise offensively he would be a great starting center.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vucevic is a legit all-star in his prime.
    His contract is also great, 24 million in 21-22 season and 22 in 22-23 season.

I love Jakob, but if we're to be a legit playoff team, his flaws are just too much.
    Amazing defender, sets great screens, but that's it. His finishing around the rim is soft, he's one of the worst FT shooters in the league and he's still a foul machine.
    I can't see him playing more than 20 to 25mpg on a serious playoff team.

Now if you look at the rest of our roster, right now it looks like our starting lineup in a couple of years should be DJ/Derrick/Devin/Keldon, with Luka and Lonnie as the other players in contention to start.
    None of them except for Devin will ever be legit 3pt shooters who're off-ball menace that causes chaos with their movement. Really bad spacing for modern game.
    Lonnie is the other guy who can become an elite 3pt shooter, but he's been disappointing so far and I think he's the first one on the trading block if we talk young players.

If you start Jakob with those guys, it's simply not sustainable on offense. If we talk serious playoff teams, ofc.
    Vucevic is averaging 6.5 3pa on 41% this season.

He might not be an ideal solution, but the facts are that we need some kind of a legit floor spacer on PF or C.
    And I'd always take Vucevic over Collins, especially if we look at contract situations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So not even in small spurts, huh? Damn...

DeMar for Nikola works straight up...

Anyone who thinks LMA and Gay for Nikola gets it done is out of their mind...
    I would think Poeltl would have to be apart of the package to make it work IF we wanted to go in a totally new direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So was Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone think Poeltl and Vuc can play together? Poeltl is probably mobile enough to cover most 4s

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the point of trading for Vucevic. We'd give up so many young pieces to get him that we still wouldn't be a contender and would compromise the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract is also great, 24 million in 21-22 season and 22 in 22-23 season.

I love Jakob, but if we're to be a legit playoff team, his flaws are just too much.
    Amazing defender, sets great screens, but that's it. His finishing around the rim is soft, he's one of the worst FT shooters in the league and he's still a foul machine.
    I can't see him playing more than 20 to 25mpg on a serious playoff team.

Now if you look at the rest of our roster, right now it looks like our starting lineup in a couple of years should be DJ/Derrick/Devin/Keldon, with Luka and Lonnie as the other players in contention to start.
    None of them except for Devin will ever be legit 3pt shooters who're off-ball menace that causes chaos with their movement. Really bad spacing for modern game.
    Lonnie is the other guy who can become an elite 3pt shooter, but he's been disappointing so far and I think he's the first one on the trading block if we talk young players.

If you start Jakob with those guys, it's simply not sustainable on offense. If we talk serious playoff teams, ofc.
    Vucevic is averaging 6.5 3pa on 41% this season.

He might not be an ideal solution, but the facts are that we need some kind of a legit floor spacer on PF or C.
    And I'd always take Vucevic over Collins, especially if we look at contract situations.
    All day, every day, and twice on Sundays.

The thing with Vucevic is his value is depreciating as well, so he could stay on and continue the trend of being a veteran for younger players. That torch will be passed from either DeRozan or LMA.

If there's a 1% the Spurs organization even thinks he could play in the rotation without getting in anyone's way... you go for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way we’d trade Demar for Nikola imo I could see any of the other vets plus a pick maybe for him but thats it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The concern with Nikola's ability to play PF (for short stretches) is his defense when guarding 3's, right?

I looked deeper and checked out how well he guards three and how frequent.

Below is a list of players who defended 3's as frequent as Nikola (in order of closest to Nikola to furthest):

Grant Williams
    Zeke Nnaji
    Raul Neto
    Wendell Carter Jr.
    Denzel Valentine
    Dario Saric
    James Wiseman
    Obi Toppin
    Tyler Johnson
    Markieff Morris
    Aaron Nesmith
    Isaiah Stewart

Keep in mind, context here is important. Nikola's role consists of him staying inside the paint. So the times he's defending 3's are fewer opportunities than those assigned to do so (the wings in the list above)

As far as how well he guarded 3's compared to everyone on the list who contested 3's as much as he did or less... well, he didn't do too well. He allowed 38.3% on 3's, fifth worst on the list.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-3pt/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=FG3A&dir=1&CF= FG3A*LE*2.7:FG3_PCT*LE*39

So for sure looks like a true center unless the Spurs can teach him defensive chops at his current age (highly improbable)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally some interesting news.
    The mere fact that the Spurs name has been dropped like that would sour negotiations, if true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t like it with jakob playing well if he wasn’t then yeah but I like poertl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw something from Kevin O Connor that the spurs might be interested in a guy named Alize Johnson, think he plays in the G league. Anyone know anything on him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jazz are literally laying the ground work of modern roster construction before our very eyes, and we look to have a similar foundation in place defensively with the closest comparison to Rudy Gobert at age 25 that we have probably seen since Rudy came into the nba

the finishing concerns are overblown. Jakob Poeltl at the rim has converted 72.3% of his looks- Jokic is at 75% this year, Embiid 73.9, Gobert 75%. It’s not always the prettiest but he picks his spots well and gets it done.

ive said it 100 times and I will keep saying it. You want your big man in today’s game to protect the rim, be mobile on the perimeter defensively and in the open floor, set screens and roll effectively.

Vooch puts us back into the 2018 spurs team build archetype. We will have a hard cap on our potential defensively with Vucevic playing center- his scoring will have to come down as he won’t have as many shots on our team as he does in Orlando. So we see a marginal uptick in our scoring potential that is actually less than the sum of its parts, and take a massive step back defensively.

next trade scenario please.
    Last edited by PrimeMinister; 03-08-2021 at 02:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jazz are literally laying the ground work of modern roster construction before our very eyes, and we look to have a similar foundation in place defensively with the closest comparison to Rudy Gobert at age 25 that we have probably seen since Rudy came into the nba

the finishing concerns are overblown. Jakob Poeltl at the rim has converted 72.3% of his looks- Jokic is at 75% this year, Embiid 73.9, Gobert 75%. It’s not always the prettiest but he picks his spots well and gets it done.

ive said it 100 times and I will keep saying it. You want your big man in today’s game to protect the rim, be mobile on the perimeter defensively and in the open floor, set screens and roll effectively.

Vooch puts us back into the 2018 spurs team build archetype. We will have a hard cap on our potential defensively with Vucevic playing center- his scoring will have to come down as he won’t have as many shots on our team as he does in Orlando. So we see a marginal uptick in our scoring potential that is actually less than the sum of its parts, and take a massive step back defensively.

just comparing percentages isn't enough... volume matters too. a guy who picks his spots en route to 7-8 ppg is different from a guy who scores 14

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just comparing percentages isn't enough... volume matters too. a guy who picks his spots en route to 7-8 ppg is different from a guy who scores 14
    when you’re talking about point blank lay ups- sample size isn’t as much of a factor. Fair to say that under higher volume he’s still converting at a similar clip.

In that vein- Rudy Gobert converted 72.5% of his looks at the rim at age 25 at a very similar volume per game. It’s also clear as the year has gone on and Jak has assumed the role of everyday starter that his rhythm and timing around the basket has improved.

he defends at an elite level, he screens and rolls, can switch, and finishes around the basket. He’s also 25 on a bargain deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when you’re talking about point blank lay ups- sample size isn’t as much of a factor. Fair to say that under higher volume he’s still converting at a similar clip.

In that vein- Rudy Gobert converted 72.5% of his looks at the rim at age 25 at a very similar volume per game. It’s also clear as the year has gone on and Jak has assumed the role of everyday starter that his rhythm and timing around the basket has improved.

he defends at an elite level, he screens and rolls, can switch, and finishes around the basket. He’s also 25 on a bargain deal.
    Yeah, Rudy is taking three more shots to score 6 more points than Poeltl... Big whoop lmao

How does Rudy not pick his spots? Why are we acting like Rudy is some offensive maestro? Dude is being paid the max (3x more than Poeltl), he BETTER be scoring more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yeah, poeltl playing at this "jakob 2.0" level, at his pay, is quite a bargain

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Rudy is taking three more shots to score 6 more points than Poeltl... Big whoop lmao
    How does Rudy not pick his spots? Why are we acting like Rudy is some offensive maestro? Dude is being paid the max (3x more than Poeltl), he BETTER be scoring more.[/QUOTE]
    because rudy has been consistently elite for a stretch of multiple years, not for bursts here and there.

taking 3 more shots to score 6 more points is objective improvement. also a better rebounder. and as good as poeltl's defense has been, gobert has still been better.

but yes, as i said in my last post, jakob playing at february levels represents a bargain on his contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno boys, I just see the Vooch rumblings as more “spurs are interested” posturing than I do any indication of an imminent move. Mainly because critically evaluating his fit and the various give and take with offense, defense, what has made us successful this year when we win games leads me to the conclusion Vucevic isn’t a serious possibility.

Perhaps in the coming years you could make the argument that surrounding Vucevic with defenders like DJ, Derrick, Vassell, now Luka will allow the team to be a top 5-10 team defensively with a higher scoring potential than we would with Jakob as the starter, but I’m not there yet and don’t see Vooch as being the answer to creating a le contending team.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That makes sense to me. I love the FO’s new dedication to defense. To me we need 3P shooters and Vucevic seems to provide that but I think I would keep looking as well. Granted, I need to watch his game more closely. But the team is trending in a good direction, especially with Luka. I want him to get shots and Yak is perfect in that he will never complain about touches. That’s remarkable for the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar to Orlando

Heat, Celtics, or Hornets take Vucevic

Extra parts (from the Heat, Celtics, or Hornets) go to Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Highly agree with this post. The Jazz are showing everyone that you don't need 5 three-point shooters on the court at all times to be a good, let alone league-best, modern team. The obvious difference between them and the Spurs are the quality of their shooters, both in accuracy and volume, and also the fact that most if not all of their regular rotation players are good defenders. But we're not all that far from following a similar blueprint at all, and trading/acquiring a stretch-5 should only be considered insofar as it doesn't lower the defensive presence of the starting C (basically, can we get a Jakob-level center defensively that just so happens to be able to shoot 3's? The league, by and large, looks to be answering either No, or Embiid).

The more I think about it, the more I end up coming around to my previous position of wanting to trade DeMar. I'm at peace with knowing it won't happen, and there's a lot more scenarios where the Spurs are left with nothing than there are scenarios where they get a good haul for him, but I still think it's the best step to really move forward. We've seen (almost) every young player on our team take a step forward this season, and whilst they're probably gonna be worse in the short term, there's a much higher ceiling to the team moving forward if DeMar isn't there to cap it. At worst, we fail and start playing the lottery, like most teams eventually do. At best, the increased usage, touches, and motion lets the young players get even better.

I'm not expecting any trades by the deadline, but it sure would be nice to move one of Gay/Patty for assets. I'm not asking for much more after that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. No way PATFO even thinks of demar for vuj. That trade is just silly.

I’d imagine the interest that’s being reported was like “hey orl you want LA and garbage for vuj?” And orl was like nah I’m good. The end.

Thread Information