Page 38 of 95 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not dumb, it's ing common sense, which is in short supply on this site.

The Celtics absolutely ed themselves with the way Ainge treated IT. He did everything they wanted, fought and played, and Ainge ed him royally and now no big free agents want to go there.

And that's a premiere franchise in the NBA. Ainge ed them because of how he ed Thomas. If the Spurs send LMA to ing Orlando or Washington or some other dumbass team with no prayer of the playoffs, then they're ing themselves. Not because of Aldridge but because other players will see how they're likely to get ed in the future.

This is so simple, I have no idea why it's a hard concept for the brainiacs on this board to understand. Holy .
    I agree with what you're saying in principle, but those two situations are apples and oranges. Sending LA to a non playoff team for the second half of a shortened season on an expiring contact when he's set for FA is a FAR cry from what happened to IT. I agree we want to do right by players, but besides LA can you name one FA in their prime that has come here? We've built this carefully crafted image of ourselves, but we still don't get the players we want till their well past their prime. Our culture appeals to the nba equivalent of senior citizens that are looking for a last payout and know the spurs are the suckers to give it to the. It's time to face reality that we are, in essence, the nba retirement home.

Now I'm not suggesting we go all out and destroy our image as a caring organization (I personally like that way of doing business) but we can't continue to consistently prioritize that image over team growth. There needs to be some give and take.

On a side note, your condescending tone really isn't leading to and meaningful dialog or discourse. We're all on the same side here my friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s coming soon lmao but I’m a firm believer spurs need to be taking shots at guys like him if they have a chance
    If the Spurs start signing knuckle heads like KPJ, I’m out. I’d rather be a borderline/middle tier playoff team with players I like to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His point is the the Spurs will trade him where he wants to go because that is who they are. Maximizing the return by trading him anywhere for the best value is obviously what we all want but the point is Spurs aren't going to trade him to a dumpster fire franchise he doesn't want to go to because that is how they operate, regardless of how dumb it might be. Same thing with people on here always clamoring to trade Mills. Yeah we know they should but we also know they aren't going to and we all know why. The Spurs just don't operate like most teams do
    With literally weeks left on his deal, they will trade him anywhere they can get return. If it’s a dumpster fire, he can negotiate a buyout. He’s already gotten 18M that wasn’t always guaranteed this season. He can leave some on the table to get out of a bind, and go where he wants. Look at it as the Spurs fronting him 18M to take the sting out of his buyout. That’s how they looked after him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs start signing knuckle heads like KPJ, I’m out. I’d rather be a borderline/middle tier playoff team with players I like to watch.
    The right knucklehead in the right environment can make sense so it’s not as black and white for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The right knucklehead in the right environment can make sense so it’s not as black and white for me.
    Well, a lot of teams disagree with you. He was a top 10 talent in his draft class, yet dropped to #30 for just this reason. When what everyone thought would happen actually happened, he was flipped for a second. This isn’t like when he was drafted, and teams thought he might cause problems in the locker room. He HAS caused problems. As long as the PATFO culture exists, we won’t be signing any players like him. It’ll be OK, though. Guys like him tend to bust out. They think they’re a complete product, and tend to rely only on their athleticism, and don’t work on their game. They never progress past rotation player, or borderline starter, and that ceiling isn’t worth putting up with their . He’s already been kicked to the curb by one team, and it won’t be the last one.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA for Horford + draft capital, with OC buying out LMA immediately, seems like a win/win/win. The Spurs get draft assets and a backup for Poeltl, the Thunder get salary relief and some use out of their trove of picks (which they will never be able to use all of), and LMA gets to choose where he plays.

As long as LMA is apprised of the buyout plan in advance, there would be no reason for him (or any potential free agent) to hold this against the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, a lot of teams disagree with you. He was a top 10 talent in his draft class, yet dropped to #30 for just this reason. When what everyone thought would happen actually happened, he was flipped for a second. This isn’t like when he was drafted, and teams thought he might cause problems in the locker room. He HAS caused problems. As long as the PATFO culture exists, we won’t be signing any players like him. It’ll be OK, though. Guys like him tend to bust out. They think they’re a complete product, and tend to rely only on their athleticism, and don’t work on their game. They never progress past rotation player, or borderline starter, and that ceiling isn’t worth putting up with their . He’s already been kicked to the curb by one team, and it won’t be the last one.
    i’m not arguing for him specifically just saying sometimes you take a flier on a guy with a troubled past. We didn’t all grow up with two parents and food on the table . With that being said Preacher Pop can’t be everyones saviour. Low risk, high reward guys can help a team that has no clear path to NBA contention like ourselves. We are going to spend the next 20 years in mediocrity without taking some chances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA for Horford + draft capital, with OC buying out LMA immediately, seems like a win/win/win. The Spurs get draft assets and a backup for Poeltl, the Thunder get salary relief and some use out of their trove of picks (which they will never be able to use all of), and LMA gets to choose where he plays.

As long as LMA is apprised of the buyout plan in advance, there would be no reason for him (or any potential free agent) to hold this against the Spurs.
    Horford has two more years left around 26M per year. Better be good draft capital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horford has two more years left around 26M per year. Better be good draft capital.
    Barnes too, right? Would rather go for Barnes between the two if there was a chance.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure LMA has a trade kicker. He’s not going anywhere he doesn’t want to go

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think the LMA will be used as a buyout for whatever team he’s get traded too

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I'm just saying that the Thunder have so many draft assets piled up they will have to use a lot of them for something other than selecting players for themselves. They might not give up what the Spurs would want for eating those two years of Horford's deal, but I think there's a potential middle ground there. Even a late first has a lot of value to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I'm just saying that the Thunder have so many draft assets piled up they will have to use a lot of them for something other than selecting players for themselves. They might not give up what the Spurs would want for eating those two years of Horford's deal, but I think there's a potential middle ground there. Even a late first has a lot of value to the Spurs.
    OKC could buyout Horford (like Blake Griffin) and keep all their draft picks. Not like they are on the cusp of contending. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but seems unlikely to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure LMA has a trade kicker. He’s not going anywhere he doesn’t want to go
    A trade kicker is just a salary markup if he gets moved. Different than a no trade clause. Wen can and should trade him anywhere we see fit but we won’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barnes too, right? Would rather go for Barnes between the two if there was a chance.
    The difference being, with Barnes, the player capital would be going the other way. Horford is 33, and makes a lot more money. Barnes is 28, kind of at his peak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’ll go anywhere that his salary and kicker will fit. The only trade he can really stop is Boston. The kicker can make things more difficult, but sometimes it’s not even an issue. I don’t think It’s even a speed bump for OKC or SAC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC could buyout Horford (like Blake Griffin) and keep all their draft picks. Not like they are on the cusp of contending. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but seems unlikely to me.
    Horford has zero incentive to sell two years and 52M at a discount. He can gum up the works by holding a roster spot for two years, when OKC has like 15 first rounders in the next 5 years. They got paid to take his contract. It ain’t going out the door for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horford has zero incentive to sell two years and 52M at a discount. He can gum up the works by holding a roster spot for two years, when OKC has like 15 first rounders in the next 5 years. They got paid to take his contract. It ain’t going out the door for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My preferences:

1. Barnes, with some asset(s) going out with LMA

2. Horford, with some asset(s) coming back

3. Wiggins, with multiple assets coming back. He’s the worst player fit of the bunch, and is owed the most money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My preferences:

1. Barnes, with some asset(s) going out with LMA

2. Horford, with some asset(s) coming back

3. Wiggins, with multiple assets coming back. He’s the worst player fit of the bunch, and is owed the most money.
    I like all of this. Wiggins fills a need and makes DDR expandable if we lose him. I think the Warriors are higher on him than we think though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet the trade kicker has already been waived. LA initiated this. You can't give a team an ultimatum to trade you and then expect to receive an additional windfall. I also suspect that the trade kicker would be on the remaining part of his contract which I think would be around $1 million.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To Heat: Gay, Muscala
    To Thunder: Aldridge (to be bought out), Olynyk, Harkless
    To Spurs: Horford, Miller

The Thunder have so much cap space both now and going forward that they're not going to give up an asset to shed Horford's salary (they might actually be able to command a minor asset). Also, their preference would be to send him to a situation where he can at least pseudo contend for a championship, so as to uphold their reputation as a franchise that does right by their players.

From a Spurs perspective, he only makes sense in a scenario where DeRozan and Mills are being re-signed. They could start him at the four for the first 6 minutes of both halves, then alternate him and Poeltl thereafter, with Johnson moving to the bench, but still playing similar minutes and often closing . . .

Starters: Horford, DeRozan, Poeltl, White, Murray

Bench: Mills, Johnson, Walker IV, Vassell, Lyles

Deep bench: Samanic, Eubanks, Miller, Bates-Diop, Jones, Weatherspoon
    Last edited by TD 21; 03-13-2021 at 06:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Great to see. Like LeVert, think he's a great guy and pro.

Tin-foil hat time - and no this trade does not include LeVert.

I have a feeling with LeVert coming back, and is at or close to 100% effectiveness; I think the Pacers are a pretty formidable team in the East and will start to climb the standings as a result.

Spurs: T.J Warren, Jeremy Lamb

Pacers: LMA, Lonnie Walker

T.J Warren's status for return is uncertain, and may not be back fully healthy until next year. He still has 1 more year on his deal though, and would be decent DDR insurance should he choose to leave in FA at the end of the year.
    Pacers get LMA for front court depth and playoff insurance, and also receive the mercurial Walker who may thrive in a new system/style of play.

Both teams Pace of play is eerily similar, Playing with Sabonis/Turner on the court at any one time may be appealing to LMA and the Pacers.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don‘t see Presti desperate to unload Horford. He likely sees him as an asset and will wait to find someone to give him more rebuilding assets. Not saying it’s likely, but wouldn’t shock me to see him pull it off. He would want something from us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not dumb, it's ing common sense, which is in short supply on this site.

The Celtics absolutely ed themselves with the way Ainge treated IT. He did everything they wanted, fought and played, and Ainge ed him royally and now no big free agents want to go there.

And that's a premiere franchise in the NBA. Ainge ed them because of how he ed Thomas. If the Spurs send LMA to ing Orlando or Washington or some other dumbass team with no prayer of the playoffs, then they're ing themselves. Not because of Aldridge but because other players will see how they're likely to get ed in the future.

This is so simple, I have no idea why it's a hard concept for the brainiacs on this board to understand. Holy .
    But if they make a trade with Orlando or Washington, why can't they trade him there if that team agrees to buy him out before the trade goes down? If the Spurs discuss that with Aldridge before going through with such a trade, and he's fine with it to help the Spurs get something for him, why can't they do a trade like that? I don't think it's as bad as you're saying it will look.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the Isaiah Thomas situation with the Celtics was, in fact, I don't think you can compare the two. I hope they never get another star free agent because they really screwed that poor guy over. How they treated Isaiah Thomas is a joke. He busted his ass the whole time he was there, and he pushed through the injury to play for them in the playoffs when he was looking at getting a max contract, and it ruined his career and he lost of a lot of money. He could have just sat out. It's really inexcusable how they treated him. Nothing like that is going to happen if the Spurs trade Aldridge to a bottom feeder, especially if a buyout it agreed to before the trade goes down. I don't know why you're saying it would be a really, really bad thing.
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-14-2021 at 06:54 AM.

Thread Information