Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but there's good reason to think this is more than just the typical "willingness to listen to offers", which is generally code for, don't bother unless you're willing to make an unforeseen offer or perceived overpay.

Revising my previous proposal and eligible February 23rd . . .

To Hawks: Gordon, Walker IV

To Magic: DeRozan, Eubanks

To Spurs: Collins, Snell, Bamba, Ennis III

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but there's good reason to think this is more than just the typical "willingness to listen to offers", which is generally code for, don't bother unless you're willing to make an unforeseen offer or perceived overpay.

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Atlanta would do that. The Magic....I'm torn but, they might...especially if they are getting good medical reports of Isaac...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont get why the magic would do it without some type of pick compensation. ATL might want some as well. I would like the trade from the spurs perspective. If DDr agrees to resign there it would increase the chances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic need more in that scenario. Maybe Yakob or a pick of some sort (via Spurs). DDR likely walks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if we took on Snell to get Collins and gave up Gay and Walker plus 1st.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons are said to be willing to give up griffin and a young player or pick to get out from Griffin contract. I say send them LMA and Gay. their pick should be good for awhile so even if we had to put it out for a few years would still be worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Griffin is horrible. He’s a 12/5 player now, and would be due basically $40M next year. Hard pass. Even taking on that contract for a year probably costs us at least one of our youngsters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont get why the magic would do it without some type of pick compensation. ATL might want some as well. I would like the trade from the spurs perspective. If DDr agrees to resign there it would increase the chances.
    Magic need more in that scenario. Maybe Yakob or a pick of some sort (via Spurs). DDR likely walks.
    To be clear, the Magic would obviously only theoretically do this either with a DeRozan extension being a prerequisite or with an understanding that it'd be likely.

Hawks do it because: Gordon gives them an affordable replacement at the four, another versatile defender to protect Young and a much needed dose of secondary play making. He also should have solid resale value. Walker IV would be a flyer obviously.

Magic do it because: They're seemingly adverse to re-building, have needed a go-to perimeter type for eons and can't attract superstars/stars in free agency. They're one of the rare teams with depth to spare at the four long term and Bamba is buried.

Pistons are said to be willing to give up griffin and a young player or pick to get out from Griffin contract. I say send them LMA and Gay. their pick should be good for awhile so even if we had to put it out for a few years would still be worth it.
    Griffin appears finished, but if the Spurs don't intend to target Collins or even Markkanen, they should consider it depending on the asset. Since the '21 1st and Hayes would be off limits and most of the remaining youth is insufficient, I'd imagine it'd have to be either Bey or a future 1st with top 10 or lottery protection.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if we took on Snell to get Collins and gave up Gay and Walker plus 1st.
    Collins isn't worth that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Griffin is horrible. He’s a 12/5 player now, and would be due basically $40M next year. Hard pass. Even taking on that contract for a year probably costs us at least one of our youngsters.
    no denying this. Your not doing it for griffin your doing it for the pick. it would be like picking up LMA and gay for another year. If we dont have anyone we are going for in FA this year it pushes it back one year while getting an asset. I dont think I would want Bey. I like him and think he will be a good player but I want to see how KJ and Vessel develop in the next few years for our SF position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no denying this. Your not doing it for griffin your doing it for the pick. it would be like picking up LMA and gay for another year. If we dont have anyone we are going for in FA this year it pushes it back one year while getting an asset. I dont think I would want Bey. I like him and think he will be a good player but I want to see how KJ and Vessel develop in the next few years for our SF position.
    Bey is another wing that plays big. He plays too similar to Keldon, that's why I wouldn't want him either. Our hole next year looks to be the "Wings" and "Wings who play big" positions, especially if DeMar leaves.

Point guards (1)
    Dejounte Murray - 6'5"
    Tre Jones - 6'3"

Guards who play wing (1-2-3)
    Derrick White - 6'5"
    Lonnie Walker - 6'4"
    Quinndary Weatherspoon - 6'4"

Wings (3)
    Devin Vassell - 6'6"

Wings who play big (3-4)
    DeMar DeRozan - 6'7"
    Keldon Johnson - 6'6"
    *Franz Wagner - 6'9"

Stretch Big (4-5)
    Rudy Gay - 6'8"
    Luka Samanic - 6'10"
    Trey Lyles - 6'9"

Bigs (5)
    Jakob Poeltl - 7'0"
    LaMarcus Aldridge 6'11"
    Drew Eubanks - 6'9"

Luka truly has a chance to earn a rotation spot next year. Excited for that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan and Gay are more than likely gone in the off season and Walker is unlikely to receive an extension at this point.

That leaves Johnson and Vassell as long term wings (you could argue to stretch it to include White, considering his defensive versatility).

Bey would provide a needed 3.5 and volume 3-point shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan and Gay are more than likely gone in the off season and Walker is unlikely to receive an extension at this point.

That leaves Johnson and Vassell as long term wings (you could argue to stretch it to include White, considering his defensive versatility).

Bey would provide a needed 3.5 and volume 3-point shooter.
    True, but will still be here next year unless the Spurs grow some cajones and trade him.

As far as Bey, you're right in regards to his shooting. That's an area where he is better than Keldon, and can add value there.

Though highly doubtful he gets traded at this point as he's outplaying Detroit's first round pick from the year prior. They'll probably be more inclined to let Sekou go instead.

However, if DeRozan and Gay do leave as you say, this team will be severely lacking shot creators / players who can create their own shots. One of the young players (Murray or Keldon are the likeliest to me) will have to develop that, or it will need to come from free agency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but will still be here next year unless the Spurs grow some cajones and trade him.

As far as Bey, you're right in regards to his shooting. That's an area where he is better than Keldon, and can add value there.

Though highly doubtful he gets traded at this point as he's outplaying Detroit's first round pick from the year prior. They'll probably be more inclined to let Sekou go instead.
    Right, but I'm saying he should be viewed as a depth piece at this point.

Agreed. Doumbouya is just not enough incentive for taking on a contract as onerous as Griffin's (even if it does expire in '22) though. If it's not Bey or maybe a protected future 1st in the near future, it's not worthy of discussion.
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-13-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless Detroit gives up an unprotected 1st, I wouldn't be interested in trading for Griffin at all...(and I doubt they do that and honestly I'm not sure that's enough for a $40M contract)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only chance a deal happens is if any of the vets asked to be traded otherwise there won’t be a deal

Snell is an expiring so, its not like his deal affects their cap going forward. The Spurs giving up a first to get Collins means that they'd have to be prepared to pay him the max. Even then, they'd be giving up a first just to have him on the team entering RFA as opposed to offering a deal and hoping he accepts and the Hawks don't match. I don't think I like that, as much as the Spurs need a PF going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, traded it for Oubre.
    It's likely not going to convey, because it's top 20 protected and GSW is looking like their pick will be in the teens. That means they'd be sending the Minny 2021 2nd round pick out instead.

Technically, GSW can still trade their 2021 first but they'd have to be specific with the protections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who says no?

Indy: LMA + Lonnie to Indy
    SAS: Turner + filler+ Indy's late 1st
    Both teams.

I suggested this trade a while back:

DeRozan for Turner and McDermott

That was around the time they got Levert. Trading for DeMar makes less sense now that they have him, but they'd likely trade Turner for a wing. Still, that would probably be closer to what Indy would be looking for for Turner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA going to get a buy out like Pau Gasol. Spurs realize team is better without him starting, player whines about bench role, requests a buy out, Spurs agree to buy out player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snell is an expiring so, its not like his deal affects their cap going forward. The Spurs giving up a first to get Collins means that they'd have to be prepared to pay him the max. Even then, they'd be giving up a first just to have him on the team entering RFA as opposed to offering a deal and hoping he accepts and the Hawks don't match. I don't think I like that, as much as the Spurs need a PF going forward.
    There's some value in having Collins' rights - if the plan is to have him and keep DDR. Otherwise they'd have to renounce DDR before offering Collins the max or near it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA going to get a buy out like Pau Gasol. Spurs realize team is better without him starting, player whines about bench role, requests a buy out, Spurs agree to buy out player.
    Or he may just flat out retire if the hip thing is chronic / lingers when he has too much basketball activity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics struggling with Washington at half time. It's hard to emphasize how much Ainge ed this up and now with losing Hayward for nothing they're on a slow spiral down. They have to make a move, use that huge trade exception somehow.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics struggling with Washington at half time. It's hard to emphasize how much Ainge ed this up and now with losing Hayward for nothing they're on a slow spiral down. They have to make a move, use that huge trade exception somehow.
    If the Cs get desperate, Aldridge for a TE plus a minor asset could gain some traction. The Spurs would then gain some much-needed breathing room under the tax and could absorb a smaller salary, perhaps even for another minor asset.

Would the Spurs' TE disappear if they go under the cap this offseason? If not it becomes even more appealing for the Spurs.

Thread Information