Page 8 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Cs get desperate, Aldridge for a TE plus a minor asset could gain some traction. The Spurs would then gain some much-needed breathing room under the tax and could absorb a smaller salary, perhaps even for another minor asset.

Would the Spurs' TE disappear if they go under the cap this offseason? If not it becomes even more appealing for the Spurs.
    The TE would likely be useless for the Spurs, as they'd need to renounce it in order to use the cap space. I wouldn't do it unless Bos give us another asset or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's some value in having Collins' rights - if the plan is to have him and keep DDR. Otherwise they'd have to renounce DDR before offering Collins the max or near it.
    Sure but I think if the Spurs were going to lock up DDR, then they would have already done so.

There's the point that they would have to build an extension on top of his $27.7 million dollar salary and that's why they're letting him hit FA, so they can re-sign him to a more reasonable deal.

Then again, I assume DeMar wants similar money over 3 years (something like 3 years, $75 million). Trading for Collins and then re-signing Collins and DDR is possible but that's going to be a very expensive team with a log jam on the perimeter, with DDR reverting back to the 3, and the team would still having Murray, White, Vassell and KJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The TE would likely be useless for the Spurs, as they'd need to renounce it in order to use the cap space. I wouldn't do it unless Bos give us another asset or two.
    we have cap space so the TPE is virtually worthless; it only helps facilitate an LMA trade for a 2nd or distressed asset without taking bad salary back. We need to pull the trigger on that because sending LMA to the bench will cue the in him and we will end up paying him 90 cents on the dollar to play for the Clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but I think if the Spurs were going to lock up DDR, then they would have already done so.

There's the point that they would have to build an extension on top of his $27.7 million dollar salary and that's why they're letting him hit FA, so they can re-sign him to a more reasonable deal.

Then again, I assume DeMar wants similar money over 3 years (something like 3 years, $75 million).
    I doubt DDR would be that cheap. He'll get a Hayward type offer from somewhere. He'd actually be really great value at 3/75 or so if he decides to give PATFO a discount, but it seems highly unlikely.

Trading for Collins and then re-signing Collins and DDR is possible but that's going to be a very expensive team with a log jam on the perimeter, with DDR reverting back to the 3, and the team would still having Murray, White, Vassell and KJ.
    It'd be expensive indeed. Some of the younger guys would have to be traded within a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless Detroit gives up an unprotected 1st, I wouldn't be interested in trading for Griffin at all...(and I doubt they do that and honestly I'm not sure that's enough for a $40M contract)
    I agree. There would have to be two assets involved to take on $40 million in cap. A top 10 protected 1st isn't cutting it. More like top 3 or 5 and another asset like Doumboya.

Spurs would have to do that deal at the deadline, which would effectively kill their off-season before it begins but the promise of a great pick, another solid prospect and another top half 1st round pick could be enough for them to be interested.

Griffin's deal also becomes a vehicle to take on massive salaries in exchange for multiple assets at next seasons trade deadline. Don't think the Spurs would consider it but that wouldn't be the worst route for them to take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends what their plans are. That TE can be used all the way up to the draft if they decide they want to resign DD and it looks like nothing suits their needs on the FA market. In addition, if they do the trade early, like not on deadline day, they could be players to take even some ending salary (+assets) to facilitate other deadline deals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. There would have to be two assets involved to take on $40 million in cap. A top 10 protected 1st isn't cutting it. More like top 3 or 5 and another asset like Doumboya.

Spurs would have to do that deal at the deadline, which would effectively kill their off-season before it begins but the promise of a great pick, another solid prospect and another top half 1st round pick could be enough for them to be interested.

Griffin's deal also becomes a vehicle to take on massive salaries in exchange for multiple assets at next seasons trade deadline. Don't think the Spurs would consider it but that wouldn't be the worst route for them to take.
    The Pistons would obviously only even consider that if they needed the cap space because they had something big lined up in free agency, which is unlikely (ironically, DeRozan is probably the only possibility depending on how the draft shakes out).

If DeRozan would be willing to extend with them, the Spurs could attempt to work out a sign and trade for what you proposed (the exact protections going forward would need to be negotiated obviously).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if the Spurs keep winning, there's no way I see DeMar included in any trade. That would be completely demoralizing for the team since he's a big contributor. He would have to go in a S&T.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's concern about DDR contract. His team obviously felt that due to the pandemic, he'll get less than his opt in. Then teams spent regardless and Hayward got 120 mil for four years. His agent will be looking at that number and probably take 4/110. Spurs probably want to offer him 3/88. And tbh, I don't want DDR for a 4 year. This is his last big contract and he'll sign with a team that's unlikely to contend over the next 3 years. What would he be playing for in SA? Atm, he is playing for that contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's concern about DDR contract. His team obviously felt that due to the pandemic, he'll get less than his opt in. Then teams spent regardless and Hayward got 120 mil for four years. His agent will be looking at that number and probably take 4/110. Spurs probably want to offer him 3/88. And tbh, I don't want DDR for a 4 year. This is his last big contract and he'll sign with a team that's unlikely to contend over the next 3 years. What would he be playing for in SA? Atm, he is playing for that contract.
    If he wants to make those extra millions, or chase a ring - that's his prerogative.
    If he wants to help cultivate something that might become special here, that's also his prerogative.
    He's a different dude, for sure, so all things could be on the table.

It's up to the Spurs FO to navigate such matters.
    Hopefully things come together in a fruitful manner for the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him walk or trade him to some sucker for something good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pistons would obviously only even consider that if they needed the cap space because they had something big lined up in free agency, which is unlikely (ironically, DeRozan is probably the only possibility depending on how the draft shakes out).

If DeRozan would be willing to extend with them, the Spurs could attempt to work out a sign and trade for what you proposed (the exact protections going forward would need to be negotiated obviously).
    Turns out that Detroit can't necessarily trade their firsts because its owes a top 16 protected in 2021 and 2022, top 18 protected in 2023 and 2024, and top 13 and top 11 protected in 2025 and 2026 to Houston. That complicates their ability to off-loading Blake. They really don't have much in the way of assets tbh.

Doesn't really make sense for the Spurs to S&T DDR for Blake if they aren't getting a good first. Even if its for Doumboya-- a player that they really seemed to want-- that doesn't justify such a trade. too bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out that Detroit can't necessarily trade their firsts because its owes a top 16 protected in 2021 and 2022, top 18 protected in 2023 and 2024, and top 13 and top 11 protected in 2025 and 2026 to Houston. That complicates their ability to off-loading Blake. They really don't have much in the way of assets tbh.

Doesn't really make sense for the Spurs to S&T DDR for Blake if they aren't getting a good first. Even if its for Doumboya-- a player that they really seemed to want-- that doesn't justify such a trade. too bad.
    Very good info.
    Thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no denying this. Your not doing it for griffin your doing it for the pick. it would be like picking up LMA and gay for another year. If we dont have anyone we are going for in FA this year it pushes it back one year while getting an asset. I dont think I would want Bey. I like him and think he will be a good player but I want to see how KJ and Vessel develop in the next few years for our SF position.
    which Bey? I personally like the one from Colorado, not the one from Villanova.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which Bey? I personally like the one from Colorado, not the one from Villanova.
    The one on Det. I think he came from villanova. He is more of a sf/pf but I see him more of a S/f.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have cap space so the TPE is virtually worthless; it only helps facilitate an LMA trade for a 2nd or distressed asset without taking bad salary back. We need to pull the trigger on that because sending LMA to the bench will cue the in him and we will end up paying him 90 cents on the dollar to play for the Clippers.
    The Spurs don’t have cap space until they renounce players (and the TPE counts against cap space). So can carry it into offseason.

But you’re right in that if they plan to use cap space, it almost certainly means renouncing the TPE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one on Det. I think he came from villanova. He is more of a sf/pf but I see him more of a S/f.
    oh ok, so Saddiq. I was not all that impressed with him coming into the draft. I thought he was a good college player, but a bit overrated. I really liked the Tyler Bey's toughness and defensive potential. I know he needs to work on his offensive game a bit, but defenders who can guard 1-4 are great assets to have. I really felt like he and Vassell would make a great SF rotation for the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Mo Bamba has 2 years left on his deal. Trey Lyles has 1. Bamba makes almost 500,000 more than Lyles. So Orlando saves money and gets an expiring contract. Do you think we could send Lyles and a 2nd to Orlando for Bamba?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad we cannot trade Aldridge for Drummond straight up. Both have expiring contracts and Drummond is 4 million more expensive, but he would be a perfect compliment to Poetl. Also, he and Poetl would give us the necessary front court to go against Denver, Utah, and the Lakers.

A lot of people in here are sour on Drummond, but he has been a very productive player his entire career. He has been a double double machine, averaging in the mid teens in both points and rebounds. I will take that all day over LaSuckas Softridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA has a trade kicker, so the total would be 27m+ if traded to another team. A certain percentage is added to the contract.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Mo Bamba has 2 years left on his deal. Trey Lyles has 1. Bamba makes almost 500,000 more than Lyles. So Orlando saves money and gets an expiring contract. Do you think we could send Lyles and a 2nd to Orlando for Bamba?
    I have been saying this for awhile but throwing in lonnie instead of a pick. It would give them someone young at a position that they could use. I dont think they would give him up for a second. Especially if it is believed to be a low 2nd for someone they picked as an early 1st.

As for your other post. I liked Shaddiq better and wanted the spurs to get him. I think he is more of a 3 though as Tyler I see as more of a 3/4 but more of a 4. I wanted us to get Shaddiq over Vassel but have been pleased that we got vassel as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DDR can ask for 4 years, $120 but that's not happening and certainly not from the Spurs tbh. He's been very good but I think his rep as a flawed player will keep teams from committing that much for him.

3 years, $88 million just seems steep. I really don't see the Spurs offering him a long-term deal for that much, or at all really. I think DDR has been good for this team but ponying up that much when there are other options that can step into a bigger role seems crazy to me tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR can ask for 4 years, $120 but that's not happening and certainly not from the Spurs tbh. He's been very good but I think his rep as a flawed player will keep teams from committing that much for him.

3 years, $88 million just seems steep. I really don't see the Spurs offering him a long-term deal for that much, or at all really. I think DDR has been good for this team but ponying up that much when there are other options that can step into a bigger role seems crazy to me tbh.
    Last off seasons guards and forwards signings.

Malik Beasley agrees to a four-year, $60 million contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Bogdan Bogdanovic agrees to a four-year, $72 million contract with the Atlanta Hawks

De'Aaron Fox agrees to a five-year, $163 million (worth up to $195 million) max extension with the Sacramento Kings.

Danilo Gallinari agrees to a three-year, $61.5 million contract with the Atlanta Hawks.

Joe Harris agrees to a four-year, $75 million contract with the Brooklyn Nets

Gordon Hayward agrees to a four-year, $120 million contract with the Charlotte Hornets.

Brandon Ingram agrees to a five-year, $158 million max extension with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Donovan Mitc agrees to a five-year, $163 million (worth up to $195 million) max extension with the Utah Jazz.

Jayson Tatum agrees to a five-year, $163 million (worth up to $195 million) max extension with the Celtics

Fred VanVleet agrees to a four-year, $85 million contract with the Toronto Raptors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams Charania ShamsCharania

The Raptors and Cavaliers are engaged in active talks on potential Andre Drummond deal to Toronto/Tampa, per sources. Details about that and more on Inside Pass at @TheAthletic: theathletic.com/2387459/2021/0…
    9:47am · 15 Feb 2021 · TweetDeck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond to Toronto would be difficult to accomplish salary-wise without help from a third team.

Thread Information