Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar DeRozan, Spurs (unrestricted)

Outlook: If you do a quick search of players who are averaging at least 21 points, seven assists and four rebounds per game this season, you see a list of eight players who have one thing in common: They don’t come cheap. Six of the players are on max deals (Damian Lillard, Nikola Jokic, LeBron James, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Jimmy Butler), one is on a near-max (DeRozan left some money on the table when he-resigned in Toronto in 2016) and one is headed toward a max extension after his rookie deal (Luka Doncic). And if we’re assuming that Paul will cite the Holiday deal as evidence of his own worth – and we are – then you’d better believe the 31-year-old DeRozan is doing the same.

A source with knowledge of DeRozan’s outlook said he’ll be taking a “wide open” approach to free agency in terms of possible landing spots. But after these past three seasons in San Antonio, where he was asked to sacrifice on the scoring front and evolve as a playmaker in the process, the master of the midrange has put himself in prime position to take advantage of this well-earned reputation as a more versatile offensive threat.

Post-trade deadline prism: The Spurs, whose choice to waive LaMarcus Aldridge in exchange for $5.8 million in buyout money was the headline of their deadline period, are on the dawn of a new financial era. Between Aldridge, DeRozan Rudy Gay, Patty Mills and Trey Lyles, they have a combined $78 million coming off the books.

As for DeRozan’s ultimate landing spot, it will be fascinating to see what teams emerge as suitors and what the market bears. In this point guard-heavy free agency class, he’s the best wing player available outside of Leonard, who – as we noted – doesn’t appear to actually be available.

https://theathletic.com/2504113/2021...shared-article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kewl

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So whoever offers the most money. I'd do the same in his shoes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Potential DeRozan suitors (or teams who will have the max) according to the article:

Five teams are assured of having significant cap room.:

• Three of those teams — the Knicks, Spurs, and Thunder — will have enough cap room for a max contract even if they win the lottery.
    • A fourth, the Mavericks, project to have about $35 million in room if Josh Richardson opts out of his $11.6 million player option, which would put them in play for the max contract for a player with nine or fewer years of service (currently projected at $33.7 million).
    • One other team, the Hornets, will have significant cap room, but probably not quite enough for a max. We project them to have about $26 million below the cap line.

Three others teams seem likely to have room if they want it:

Finally, a small handful of teams could, in theory, have significant cap space, but it’s unlikely to work out that way in practice.

• The Suns will have close to $30 million in room if Chris Paul opts out and leaves as a free agent.
    • The Pelicans, Hawks, and Cavs could get close to $20 million in room, but only if significant restricted free agents (Lonzo Ball, John Collins, Jarrett Allen) walk out the door.
    • The Bulls could do the same, but would have to waive or trade Thaddeus Young and Tomas Satoransky, and let Lauri Markkanen walk.
    • The Pistons could theoretically generate $25 million in cap room, but most of it will likely be siphoned out by the cap hold for a high lottery pick.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 04-07-2021 at 02:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw DDR made a point to go talk to Lou Williams after the last Hawks game when Lou played us on his 1st game after being traded. Lou took the trade pretty hard I think, DDR is a good dude to check in on him.

I like DeRozan and hope he ends up somewhere he is happy weather that be with the Spurs or elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guesses:

1) Back with the Spurs
    2) The Hornets
    3) Dark horse pick are the Mavericks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess: the Knicks. They’ll pay him as much as he can make, and as many years as he’s allowed. They’ve been so Star starved, they’ll squint, and see him as a franchise guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be the biggest mistake the franchise has made since trading Kawhi if we let him go. He deserves the max PERIOD

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be the biggest mistake the franchise has made since trading Kawhi if we let him go. He deserves the max PERIOD
    Why? The team sucks with him, they can get their teeth kicked it at home fine without him too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? The team sucks with him, they can get their teeth kicked it at home fine without him too.
    I mean he was destined to fail here since the team was never built around him If we properly built around him then we would be a top 4 team in the west this year. Like imagine if the 27 million a year to LMA actually went to a good player. Imagine if his center could make a lay up. Or KJ a wide ass open 3. This team is built in a way for him to fail and he still is dragging the Spurs to the playoffs (play-in).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S&T is the most realistic option, imo.

If not, rather let him walk than have him re-sign here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Knicks or the Heat would be preferred. I think the Spurs try and do a two year deal, and he will reject that for either more years (last big contract) or a better winning situation (Heat). I don't see him staying in San Antonio, but only because San Antonio wouldn't max him. If San Antonio offered him the max or near max, I think he would definitely re-sign with the Spurs because he has to like that the entire offense flows through him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean he was destined to fail here since the team was never built around him If we properly built around him then we would be a top 4 team in the west this year. Like imagine if the 27 million a year to LMA actually went to a good player. Imagine if his center could make a lay up. Or KJ a wide ass open 3. This team is built in a way for him to fail and he still is dragging the Spurs to the playoffs (play-in).
    At this rate, we won’t make the play in, and Poeltl makes layups just fine. What player is going to sign here, with the team drowning, weighed down by DD’s antiquated game? We didn’t sign players coming off championships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, the Heat don't trade for Oladipo without any intention of keeping him. Their cap space will go to him, leaving no room for DeRozan.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool, enjoy your new team, demar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be a long dry season without a franchise player. Be careful what you wish for.

I still believe this team is a PF/C 20/10 away from being a contender, as long as Murray, White, Keldon, Vassell, Luka and Poeltl continue to improve. Sign Demar his max, sign Patty but in limited role, and let Rudy/Lyles walk. Sign Dieng back.

I think Demar has demonstrated his loyalty, and being a good soldier. He likes playing with the young core. I think he will sign with the Spurs, granted they have a good plan of becoming compe ive. But if it's another year of mediocrity, I think Demar should find a contender that he can help get a ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well bye gif

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be a long dry season without a franchise player. Be careful what you wish for.

I still believe this team is a PF/C 20/10 away from being a contender, as long as Murray, White, Keldon, Vassell, Luka and Poeltl continue to improve. Sign Demar his max, sign Patty but in limited role, and let Rudy/Lyles walk. Sign Dieng back.

I think Demar has demonstrated his loyalty, and being a good soldier. He likes playing with the young core. I think he will sign with the Spurs, granted they have a good plan of becoming compe ive. But if it's another year of mediocrity, I think Demar should find a contender that he can help get a ring.
    And how are we going to get that 20/10 PF/C? They don’t grown on trees, and if we tie up $30M in DD, we won’t be able to afford one, regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My gut feeling is he returns to the East. My guess is:

1. Knicks
    2. Heat
    3. Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he took that same approach to 3 pointers and less so on the defensive end...

Teams been playing like a clogged drain as of late.

In all seriousness, DDR deserves to be happy - hope he finds a situation that accommodates his unique, although at times archaic, offensive gifts.
    Spurs have three players who should compete for starters minutes at SF next season too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect the candidates are Hawks, Grizzlies, Knicks, Raptors . . .

- Hawks: Would have to go the sign and trade route, with Collins and/or Bogdanovic being candidates. Would upgrade the latter in terms of shot creation, but only makes sense if Young is willing to cede primary ball handling responsibilities.

- Grizzlies: Desperately need another source of shot creation alongside Morant and he'd be a significant offensive upgrade on Winslow.

- Knicks: Even if they regress some, with Randle's and Barrett's improvement from 3 and if they plan to start Quickley next season, he could make sense if they want to fast track their re-build, but he'd stunt the growth of Barrett.

- Raptors: Ideal current fit with core as Lowry replacement, but they need a starting center and may not want to deal with possible backlash again if/when he doesn't finish his career with them.

The Grizzlies make the most sense from both a team and player perspective. Small market, intriguing young nucleus, no go-to guy at the moment and can't attract real stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    reality: 12:01

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    free agent Demar Derozan has agreed to 3-year, $105M deal with Spurs

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lolololol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    reality: 12:01

Adrian Wojnarowski
    @wojespn
    free agent Demar Derozan has agreed to 3-year, $105M deal with Spurs
    I think it is becoming clear unless we catch fire and make the playoffs, Spurs will not invest heavy in DeMar anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​
    My guess: the Knicks. They’ll pay him as much as he can make, and as many years as he’s allowed. They’ve been so Star starved, they’ll squint, and see him as a franchise guy.
    Agreed. I think he’s going to the Knicks. Although I’d love a ST with hawks for Collins

Thread Information