Page 5 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's interesting because half the league has no future 1st's they can offer...but by definition, that means the other half has multiple 1st's they can put in a deal. Teams with no 1st's can only offer young players (Prescious Claxton etc) but those other teams with a boatload of picks might find it easier to let one go now for a vet knowing their cupboard is still full.
    Sure, and for like a Beal trade, that could mean a random team could get him. But the teams with firsts to offer aren't necessarily looking at LMA, DMDR, Gay or Mills as that missing piece. Also note that a few teams like OKC and Houston own firsts from a number of teams. Those picks aren't part of the realistic currency for an in-season trade market. I'd say total there are probably like five or six 2021 firsts that have any chance to be dealt.

The very best SA might be able to hope for from a LMA trade is Precious or like Grant Williams and one of Boston's other reject picks. I actually like Achiuwa as a small-ball center competing with Eubanks, so it's not the worst thing. Maybe NYK, CHA or SAC would give up their first for DeRozan to make a real playoff push. But I doubt it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, and for like a Beal trade, that could mean a random team could get him. But the teams with firsts to offer aren't necessarily looking at LMA, DMDR, Gay or Mills as that missing piece. Also note that a few teams like OKC and Houston own firsts from a number of teams. Those picks aren't part of the realistic currency for an in-season trade market. I'd say total there are probably like five or six 2021 firsts that have any chance to be dealt.

The very best SA might be able to hope for from a LMA trade is Precious or like Grant Williams and one of Boston's other reject picks. I actually like Achiuwa as a small-ball center competing with Eubanks, so it's not the worst thing. Maybe NYK, CHA or SAC would give up their first for DeRozan to make a real playoff push. But I doubt it.
    That's probably right on a LMA trade but, I do wonder how this expanded format impacts management's decisions out there because really only 4 teams aren't in contention for the play in. It's easy to see a few of those play in teams thinking LMA might help their chances.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way would we be able to get Precious for LMA. LMA's game has fallen off a cliff. At best, his agent can suggest he is disgruntled as a way to explain his poor play, but I don't see anyway a team gives up a 1st for him. I am happy to be proven wrong, of course.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way would we be able to get Precious for LMA. LMA's game has fallen off a cliff. At best, his agent can suggest he is disgruntled as a way to explain his poor play, but I don't see anyway a team gives up a 1st for him. I am happy to be proven wrong, of course.
    Could be...but the discussion around this is based on numerous reports that other teams are interested in LMA... I get what your saying and he looks washed to me but value is derived from the interest of others...and apparently others are interested..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Father Time has caught up to LMA.

I don't see anyone being interested as to offer something valuable.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr, around our first game with GS, basically said that the rumored trade would have happened if Klay didn’t blow his Achilles. Wasn’t a case of bad rumors, more like bad luck.

Anyone think that LMA is being held out for just this reason?
    Holding him out to trade him? I don't think saying your 35 year old center is hurt will help his value any.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs be lucky to get a second rounder for LMA at this point. I more see him being a buy out and he is a Net or Buck in the playoffs.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors aren't trading away that Minny pick. It's the best draft capital any team has for a Beal trade.
    It's also their best way to offload Wiggins. The Warriors trying to trade for another star when they already have Curry/Thompson/Green/Wiggins on the books for $135M is a tax bill that would make any owner blanche.

Now the Warriors probably can do better than Aldridge if they are willing to package that MIN pick with Wiggins, but the Warriors will probably want salary relief at least as much as a star player in return. Replacing Wiggins with Beal doesn't help their cap/tax situation.

The Warriors are staying compe ive in the middle of the West right now and will get Klay back next season, but Aldridge being a free agent makes things difficult. That's why a deal, before Klay's injury, centered around Aldridge for #2 plus Wiggins made so much sense for both sides.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also their best way to offload Wiggins. The Warriors trying to trade for another star when they already have Curry/Thompson/Green/Wiggins on the books for $135M is a tax bill that would make any owner blanche.

Now the Warriors probably can do better than Aldridge if they are willing to package that MIN pick with Wiggins, but the Warriors will probably want salary relief at least as much as a star player in return. Replacing Wiggins with Beal doesn't help their cap/tax situation.

The Warriors are staying compe ive in the middle of the West right now and will get Klay back next season, but Aldridge being a free agent makes things difficult. That's why a deal, before Klay's injury, centered around Aldridge for #2 plus Wiggins made so much sense for both sides.
    The Warriors still also have their own 2021 pick, no? Maybe that's the one they'd be willing to part with in such a trade.

But boy that Wiggin deal is not great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holding him out to trade him? I don't think saying your 35 year old center is hurt will help his value any.
    Hip flexor is the new plantar fasciitis. In the old days, the roster was 12, and the only way you could see a prospect for a game minutes tryout was for someone to get ‘hurt’ so you could expand the roster. So many players got PF that it was almost a pandemic. It’s an injury that has no external signs, and really can’t be seen on any kind of imaging. In other words, something easy to fake. The Spurs can’t just say they’re holding LMA in case there is a trade. Like PF, a hip flexor is a minor injury that has no set recovery time. An easy fake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Warriors still also have their own 2021 pick, no? Maybe that's the one they'd be willing to part with in such a trade.

That’s why they need to attach a legitimate asset. I don’t think their pick will likely be enough. I have a hard time seeing them miss the playoffs again, although I suppose it’s possible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren't doing anything unless Aldridge requests a trade, which seems especially unlikely in a condensed/awkward season.

Either way, he's not fetching Achiuwa or a commensurate prospect and the 76ers wouldn't have interest.

Despite the unflattering metrics, he'll need to be replaced by a stretch big. Everyone needs at least one and it'll be exacerbated with this perimeter corps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren't doing anything unless Aldridge requests a trade, which seems especially unlikely in a condensed/awkward season.

Either way, he's not fetching Achiuwa or a commensurate prospect and the 76ers wouldn't have interest.

Despite the unflattering metrics, he'll need to be replaced by a stretch big. Everyone needs at least one and it'll be exacerbated with this perimeter corps.
    In this day and age, Rudy Gay is a stretch big.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But there has to be some consideration to the amount of overpay related to the expectations on production. How much is the overpay? If it's 5 million it's not a big deal...if 10 it's more problematic...of course that comes fown to evaluation.
    In theory. In reality, this is a relatively inexpensive core. Like, what's the long term opportunity cost? Maybe they have to go slightly cheaper towards the back end of the rotation.

If they believe that him and the young core could turn them into Pacers West (which seems to be their goal), then it's not a big deal.

In this day and age, Rudy Gay is a stretch big.
    I meant 5 or at least 4.5. Sure, he plays it some in certain situations, but not constantly like a Collins.

He's also likely to join Aldridge as being gone in the off season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing we know for certain, Beasley isn’t going anywhere.
    Well that’s not entirely true...
    Is this unprecedented?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be...but the discussion around this is based on numerous reports that other teams are interested in LMA... I get what your saying and he looks washed to me but value is derived from the interest of others...and apparently others are interested..
    Sounds good to me. I will respectfully stop criticizing him. Great player!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That’s why they need to attach a legitimate asset. I don’t think their pick will likely be enough. I have a hard time seeing them miss the playoffs again, although I suppose it’s possible.
    Their own pick wouldn't be enough for us to take back Wiggins. If they offer it to us, I would ask for Wiseman also.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, traded it for Oubre.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their own pick wouldn't be enough for us to take back Wiggins. If they offer it to us, I would ask for Wiseman also.
    I don’t know. If GSW fall out of the playoffs it could well be in the 10-14 range. Not bad, as everyone keeps busting nuts about how this is such a “deep” draft.

Wiggins deal is bad, but at least it’s “just” 2 years after this one (not 3+).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but at 8M per the numbers don’t work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, traded it for Oubre.
    I hate Kelly Oubre. He’s a ing scrub who shoots 40% from the field, but looks like an All Star whenever he plays against us. You’ve definitely got your beer goggles on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate Kelly Oubre. He’s a ing scrub who shoots 40% from the field, but looks like an All Star whenever he plays against us. You’ve definitely got your beer goggles on.
    Read his post again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read his post again.
    Ah, got it. Still hate Oubre.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could be holding LMA out on purpose so that other teams don't get the chance to continually see how bad he has become which will lower his trade value if he kept regressing. Maybe they waited to late to sit him and other possible trade partners have enough tape LMA already to say heck no to a trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could be holding LMA out on purpose so that other teams don't get the chance to continually see how bad he has become which will lower his trade value if he kept regressing. Maybe they waited to late to sit him and other possible trade partners have enough tape LMA already to say heck no to a trade.
    In my opinion, they should have traded him the first time he asked for one, if not 2018 at the latest.

Thread Information