Page 20 of 95 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I somewhat agree but the alternative may be paying our current vets. All this cap space and few targets worries me given PATFOs free agency moves the last 5 years so i’d rather over pay for a young player who checks alot of boxes for us.
    Beal and Lavine are free agents in 22, those are perfect fits for our team. Thinking spurs save at least a max slot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I somewhat agree but the alternative may be paying our current vets. All this cap space and few targets worries me given PATFOs free agency moves the last 5 years so i’d rather over pay for a young player who checks alot of boxes for us.
    Beal and Lavine are free agents in 22, those are perfect fits for our team. Thinking spurs save at least a max slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the best move to make this summer is to hold on to significant cap space, i'd be perfectly fine with that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can also take a player in and get a pick in trade for it. It may not make your team much better but you at least get something out of it. Overplaying a player can really hurt your team. This is why I like the Aldridge for #1 and wiggins last year and like it again this year. it is better to take someone else bad contract and get a pick then to create your own.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the best move to make this summer is to hold on to significant cap space, i'd be perfectly fine with that.
    If you are going to do that looking at a trade for someone like Blake Griffin to use as a caphold for 2022. Pick up some other assets along the way. Likely end up with a better 2022 draft choice as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if Beal or Lavine are targets you could still sign Collins and clear a max slot in 22 for one of them. We’d have to unload at least one of our guards to accommodate the minutes anyways. Paying Beal or Lavine 35+ seems worse than Collins at 29mm, especially given out current back court talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people seem to want the Spurs to run like they're a household. There's no upside to saving cap space. There's little benefit to getting "value" players when you're under the cap. If Collins is worth $20 Million, he's worth $30 Million, because $10 Million is basically worthless. Once you go over the cap, you can start looking for deals. But when you have cap space, the main goal should be to use it as quickly as possible.

Of course bad contracts exist. But they aren't marginal things where like 20 percent less APY makes the difference. They're usually from guys getting paid well above their tiers like Wall or Wiggins. Collins getting paid like one of the best players in his age group doesn't apply.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Collins ends up with the Mavericks.

I suspect he's more interested in a featured or at least perceived featured role and I suspect their primary concern will be or at least should be getting a secondary shot creator.

Can the Heat sign him out right this summer? I think they may have some cap hold issues forcing to operate above the cap. There is value in them trading for DDR now...
    Dragic, Iguodala and Leonard all have bloated team options, while Bradley and Silva also have team options and Robinson and Nunn have modest qualifying offers.

Robinson is probably the only one they view as a virtual must keep.
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-23-2021 at 05:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with collins, it's unlikely he becomes a spur. i'd be less surprised to see demar remain a spur and the remaining cap space spent on middle tier role players. ST will be beside itself over losing out on a player that may make the all-star team once or twice in his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with collins, it's unlikely he becomes a spur. i'd be less surprised to see demar remain a spur and the remaining cap space spent on middle tier role players. ST will be beside itself over losing out on a player that may make the all-star team once or twice in his career.
    if you are happy with the above you are part of the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Collins is worth $20 Million, he's worth $30 Million, because $10 Million is basically worthless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you are happy with the above you are part of the problem.
    at no point did i mention whether i'd be happy or not with any particular player. i'd gladly have collins because he'd be a serious upgrade form Aldridge. i was just making the observation that collins will likely end up elsewhere and there's a good chance derozan stays here. and that ST will implode as it usually does. that's just a prediction not an emotion.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which one of white or murray is going to the bench for us to get lavine or beal...

Neither of these guys move the needle for us...as long as Dejounte and Derrick are here we should be in the market for backup guards only

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe to a large market team that makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could get something good for LMA and some future picks. I don’t think they got the guts to pull the trigger on anything.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think his point is that there's no functional difference between being above the cap by $X or $X + 10M, at least until you start pushing up against the tax. The Spurs shouldn't be anywhere near the tax for a while because they will be so far below the cap this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe to a large market team that makes sense.
    See? That's what I'm talking about. The reasoning might be counter-intuitive, but it's not contradictory. When you're trying to build a team, value contracts basically don't have any place. Cap space only matters insofar as it relates to opportunity cost, and having $10 Million in cap space lying around is basically irrelevant to rebuilding.

If Collins is good enough to where the Spurs would be happy to pay $20 Million per year on him, then they should be willing to pay $30 Million a year, because that extra money isn't likely to be used on anything more important than getting a legit $20-Million player on the roster. The difference is basically just the MLE, and they'll have that in both scenarios.

The Spurs have a budget of the luxury tax, but that's not important when we're talking about how the team should use cap space. They're so far from the tax in that scenario that it won't be a realistic concern until at least the next off-season, and by then, they can probably look to replace some of their role-players for the value contracts folks think are important to have now or the aforementioned exceptions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think his point is that there's no functional difference between being above the cap by $X or $X + 10M, at least until you start pushing up against the tax. The Spurs shouldn't be anywhere near the tax for a while because they will be so far below the cap this summer.
    Yeah. The important thing is securing the players to build around first. If Collins is worth signing at all, he's worth maxing. You don't nickel and dime when it comes to key NBA players. That's just not how the league works.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at no point did i mention whether i'd be happy or not with any particular player. i'd gladly have collins because he'd be a serious upgrade form Aldridge. i was just making the observation that collins will likely end up elsewhere and there's a good chance derozan stays here. and that ST will implode as it usually does. that's just a prediction not an emotion.
    KingKev loves projecting absurdities onto others so he can argue superiority with another empty take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See? That's what I'm talking about. The reasoning might be counter-intuitive, but it's not contradictory. When you're trying to build a team, value contracts basically don't have any place. Cap space only matters insofar as it relates to opportunity cost, and having $10 Million in cap space lying around is basically irrelevant to rebuilding.

If Collins is good enough to where the Spurs would be happy to pay $20 Million per year on him, then they should be willing to pay $30 Million a year, because that extra money isn't likely to be used on anything more important than getting a legit $20-Million player on the roster. The difference is basically just the MLE, and they'll have that in both scenarios.

The Spurs have a budget of the luxury tax, but that's not important when we're talking about how the team should use cap space. They're so far from the tax in that scenario that it won't be a realistic concern until at least the next off-season, and by then, they can probably look to replace some of their role-players for the value contracts folks think are important to have now or the aforementioned exceptions.
    gotcha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, like if the choice was Collins for $20M or Collins for $30M, I'd obviously pick the former. But if the choice is Collins for $30M or someone else they don't like as much for $20M (or even like $17M), then I can't ride with it. Like they could well either like or be stuck with a guy like Markkannen, and that signing might even be better than Collins if Mark is good. But they shouldn't kid themselves into thinking Markkannen plus a $10M to $13M player is somehow smarter than overpaying for their top guy.

That said, it's not impossible that they just straight up like a guy like Markkannen. I know a RealGMer thought the Spurs would add a first to a Murray-Mark swap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see if Collins would even want to sign here after that debacle we saw with him and Murray last game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could get something good for LMA and some future picks. I don’t think they got the guts to pull the trigger on anything.
    No they can’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for s and grins, would anyone be interested in Porzingod? Sounds like Cuban is clearing cap room, and I know the Spurs have been enamored before. The bad blood between SA and the NYK is supposedly because Dolan accused the Spurs of tampering. He’s obviously not a great fit in Dallas, but he’s got a line of 20p/8r/1.5bl shooting 35% from long, in 30 minutes, and he’s still only 25.

LMA and Lyles is an almost perfect match.

Thread Information