Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Happening With Bail Reform At The Texas Legislature's Special Session?

special session GOP bail bills

would keep more people who have been accused but not convicted of violent or sexual crimes in jail unless they had enough cash to bond out;

expand the list of offenses for which defendants may not be released on cashless personal bonds;

and restrict charitable groups’ ability to pay to get criminal defendants out of jail.

increasing reliance on money bail would lead to the mass detention of poor criminal defendants while those who are wealthy could still walk free, and

that a proposed statewide risk assessment tool would unfairly punish minority defendants.

GOP bail bills aim to keep more criminal defendants deemed dangerous behind bars.

https://www.tpr.org/podcast/the-source/2021-07-21/whats-happening-with-bail-reform-at-the-texas-legislatures-special-session

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's Happening With Bail Reform At The Texas Legislature's Special Session?

special session GOP bail bills

would keep more people who have been accused but not convicted of violent or sexual crimes in jail unless they had enough cash to bond out;

expand the list of offenses for which defendants may not be released on cashless personal bonds;

and restrict charitable groups’ ability to pay to get criminal defendants out of jail.

increasing reliance on money bail would lead to the mass detention of poor criminal defendants while those who are wealthy could still walk free, and

that a proposed statewide risk assessment tool would unfairly punish minority defendants.

GOP bail bills aim to keep more criminal defendants deemed dangerous behind bars.

https://www.tpr.org/podcast/the-source/2021-07-21/whats-happening-with-bail-reform-at-the-texas-legislatures-special-session

Just boggles the mind.

Grifty bills gonna be grifty bills.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ku Klux Klan is no longer 'morally wrong' in bill that just passed Texas Senate

Just last week, the Texas Senate passed legislation ending all requirements that public schools in Texas teach about
    women’s suffrage and
    the civil rights movement in social studies classes.

Texas children will no longer need to be bothered with learning about
    Susan B. Anthony,
    Cesar Chavez, or
    Martin Luther King Jr., whose “I Have a Dream" speech and “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” would no longer be required curriculum.

Texas senators took it a step further. On Wednesday, July 21, they

voted to pass a bill that would remove a requirement for public school teachers to teach that the Ku Klux Klan is "morally wrong."

So if a teacher wants to have a group of fifth graders justify the Klan’s treatment of Black people—now they can have at it.

(BTW, that’s not a hypothetical. That actually happened in South Carolina.)

When this latest bill passed, the lieutenant governor stated that it would make certain that critical race theory isn’t taught in Texas.

However, the Senate-passed bill

removes almost all mentions of people of color and women,

as well as the requirement that white supremacy and the groups that support them, like the KK, are morally wrong.

racist legislators are using the threat of the 1619 Project

as an excuse to purge all civil rights and women’s suffrage curriculum out of the classrooms, and

turn the clock back in schools to the pre-civil rights era.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...d-Texas-Senate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gov. Abbott ended federal unemployment in Texas to get people back to work.

Now, claims for state unemployment are going up

In the month since the governor ended the extra federal benefits, the trendline for people applying for state unemployment benefits is going up.

With the highly-contagious Delta variant now causing a big e in cases in Texas - where masks aren’t mandated, and the vaccination rate is lackluster -

people at high risk may have renewed health concerns.

Importantly, though, as of last month,

the state no longer allows that as a reason to refuse work.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/business/right-on-the-money/texas-claims-state-unemployment-going-up/287-cb74c354-5002-41e3-ac9f-3cc35031d604

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hole Texas bag Governor focuses on denying workers paid sick leave

The Delta variant is ravaging Texas.

But Abbott has not only rescinded all state efforts to slow the spread of COVID but, in July, signed

an
    executive order preventing cities and counties from taking action.

The executive order states that no "county, city, school district, [or] public health authority " can "require any person to wear a face covering" or get a COVID-19 vaccine.

(There is an exception that allows jails and hospitals to require masks.)

It also stops local governments from mandating COVID-19 vaccines.

The executive order also prohibits any "COVID-19-related limitations imposed by local governmental en ies or officials" on businesses.

But for Abbott, this executive order is not enough. He called a special session of the legislature that began last Saturday at noon.

In this new session, Abbott has added several new items, including this one:

Legislation shielding private employers and employees from political subdivision rules, regulations, ordinances, and other actions that require any terms of employment that exceed or conflict with federal or state law relating to any form of employment leave, hiring practices, employment benefits, or scheduling practices.

What is this about? According to The Texas Tribune, the item is

"a longtime priority of the business community that has failed in recent regular sessions:

preempting local labor laws, such as mandatory paid sick leave."

So during a raging pandemic, Abbott has called an "extraordinary session" to make it harder for people to get paid sick leave.

access to paid sick leave means that fewer people show up to work when they are sick.

Keeping sick people at home is a fundamental way to control the spread of COVID.

Currently, about 40% of Texas workers, which is more than 4 million people, lack paid sick leave.

This includes 75% of service industry employees.

In recent years, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio have

passed ordinances requiring employers to offer paid sick leave.

These ordinances, however, were blocked by Texas and federal courts,

which found it conflicted with Texas' minimum wage law by requiring compensation in excess of the minimum.

Business lobbyists, however, are still worried and want a state law prohibiting cities localities from passing future ordinances.

Abbott is happy to oblige.

Texas chapter of the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) issued a press release praising him.

The Texas NFIB thanked Abbott for putting "regulatory consistency" on the agenda. consistently ing Labor

The group claimed it will stop "a confusing and contradictory patchwork of local ordinances."

While the Texas NFIB claims to support "regulatory consistency," it does not support a state law requiring paid sick leave for all workers.

Rather the Texas NFIB leads a business lobbying group called ASSET to fight paid sick leave laws.

efforts in San Antonio and other cities

to require paid sick leave show "a complete disregard for the entrepreneurs who have invested back into this state in the form of community service, job creation, and bearing the brunt of the tax load."

Such laws, ASSET claims, "bear no substantial relationship to a legitimate government interest."

ASSET even asserts, without any real evidence, that paid sick leave laws are "extremely harmful" to Texas employees.

a series of anonymous quotes from business owners about the damage paid sick leave laws would do to their companies.

One owner suggests that providing paid sick leave would force the company to eliminate its 401K plan.

https://popular.info/p/texas-governo...ses-on-denying

No sick leave applies mostly to hourly low-wage workers in jobs, probably most black and brown

Will other hole Repug states follow hole TX lead in ing over labor?

One of the reasons people aren't getting vaccinated is that they are worried that it will make them lose a few days which would cost them daily pay and perhaps get them fired. Get sick, lose pay, get fired. hole country
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-10-2021 at 07:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ku Klux Klan is no longer 'morally wrong' in bill that just passed Texas Senate

Just last week, the Texas Senate passed legislation ending all requirements that public schools in Texas teach about
    women’s suffrage and
    the civil rights movement in social studies classes.

Texas children will no longer need to be bothered with learning about
    Susan B. Anthony,
    Cesar Chavez, or
    Martin Luther King Jr., whose “I Have a Dream" speech and “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” would no longer be required curriculum.

Texas senators took it a step further. On Wednesday, July 21, they

voted to pass a bill that would remove a requirement for public school teachers to teach that the Ku Klux Klan is "morally wrong."

So if a teacher wants to have a group of fifth graders justify the Klan’s treatment of Black people—now they can have at it.

(BTW, that’s not a hypothetical. That actually happened in South Carolina.)

When this latest bill passed, the lieutenant governor stated that it would make certain that critical race theory isn’t taught in Texas.

However, the Senate-passed bill

removes almost all mentions of people of color and women,

as well as the requirement that white supremacy and the groups that support them, like the KK, are morally wrong.

racist legislators are using the threat of the 1619 Project

as an excuse to purge all civil rights and women’s suffrage curriculum out of the classrooms, and

turn the clock back in schools to the pre-civil rights era.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...d-Texas-Senate
    They are getting serious about pushing conservative, fascist, and white nationalist indoctrination.

It is the soft, velvety version that sneaks in the poisonous bile on the back end.

Luckily they aren't overly competent about it, and it is obvious to those of us who vote differently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the bribed, purchased STOTX delivers the fascism

Texas Supreme Court allows for arrest of Democrats who don't show up to Legislature

In the first special session, Republican lawmakers voted for a call of the House,

a procedural move that allowed them to authorize law enforcement to arrest members who were not present,

however it had no teeth since Texas law enforcement has no jurisdiction outside the state.

On Monday, the House which is still a few members shy of a quorum, issued the call of the House for a second time.

But this time the call only called for the doors of the chamber to be locked and did not address arresting members,

likely because of the temporary restraining order blocking such arrests.

https://www.rawstory.com/texas-supreme-court-allows-for-arrest-of-democrats-who-don-t-show-up-to-legislature

has anybody found which law was broken by the Dems?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are getting serious about pushing conservative, fascist, and white nationalist indoctrination.

It is the soft, velvety version that sneaks in the poisonous bile on the back end.

Luckily they aren't overly competent about it, and it is obvious to those of us who vote differently.
    and they act surprised when they are being called nazis but it is more and more obvious that a big portion of them simply are.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'They gave the governor the power:'

Texas bag AG non-attorney Ken Paxton pledges to quash local mask mandates

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...G-16380798.php

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mother er Biden is now up to 237k of dead Americans, bouts. & counting, son.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas warns Austin restaurants that liquor licenses could be revoked for requiring vaccine proof

Senate Bill 968, which passed during this year’s regular legislative session.

One clause of

SB 968 prohibits businesses from requiring customers to provide any do entation of their COVID-19 vaccination or post-transmission recovery in order to enter or receive service from that business.

The TABC is empowered to require compliance with the law in order for the business to keep any state license or permit. It went into effect June 16, as soon as Gov. Greg Abbott signed it.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...e-16385415.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gov. Abbott's executive order limiting jail releases is 'uncons utional,' Bexar County judge rules

ruled Friday that Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order that largely limited jail releases during the COVID-19 pandemic is “wholly uncons utional” and exceeds his authority.

the governor’s order prevented county officials from releasing her for “good time.”

The executive order, which the governor issued last year at the start of the pandemic, prohibited county jails from releasing defendants accused or convicted of violent crimes on personal recognizance bonds.

The governor’s order also prohibited inmates from being released early for good behavior.

Bexar County Public Defender’s Office filed the lawsuit, alleging that the governor’s order was uncons utional and exceeded his authority under the Texas Disaster Act.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...D-16390468.php

racist Abbutt as hardass on crime, esp black and brown crime

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greg Abbott's $250 million in funding for a border wall likely to get him 20 miles

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...eport-suggests

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Gov. Abbott's executive order limiting jail releases is 'uncons utional,' Bexar County judge rules

ruled Friday that Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order that largely limited jail releases during the COVID-19 pandemic is “wholly uncons utional” and exceeds his authority.

the governor’s order prevented county officials from releasing her for “good time.”

The executive order, which the governor issued last year at the start of the pandemic, prohibited county jails from releasing defendants accused or convicted of violent crimes on personal recognizance bonds.

The governor’s order also prohibited inmates from being released early for good behavior.

Bexar County Public Defender’s Office filed the lawsuit, alleging that the governor’s order was uncons utional and exceeded his authority under the Texas Disaster Act.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...D-16390468.php

racist Abbutt as hardass on crime, esp black and brown crime
    Who, commit the vast lion's share of the crime, bouts.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Greg Abbott's $250 million in funding for a border wall likely to get him 20 miles

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...eport-suggests
    You've fought it first with President Trump, now with Abbott. You vowed you would and you made good on that vow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bags increasing the hole-ness

"As Gov. Greg Abbott fights county governments and school districts in court over mask mandates,

one Republican lawmaker has proposed making Abbott’s ban on local mask orders the law of the ... " hole

https://www.expressnews.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-Democrats-say-GOP-bill-blocking-future-mask-16398646.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    de- ting just a tad

TEA reverses course,

now says schools must notify families when kids are exposed to COVID

https://www.expressnews.com/news/hou...y-16399067.php

the reversal is more proof of hole-ness. Hiding school infections from parents? W T F F

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    racist/xenophobe Paxton lying / slandering Biden

Fact check: Paxton claims Biden administration 'not even testing' migrants released in the U.S.

that the Biden administration is "just letting people in" is a claim that has been widely repeated and roundly debunked.

this fact check focuses on Paxton’s claim that the administration is "not even testing these people" being released into the U.S.

We found that while there are testing protocols in place, there are examples of cracks in the system through which some untested migrants slip through.

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...g-16397585.php

deplorable as ever

Texans test as having 2x as many infections as tested migrants.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hate radio toxic racist mouthpiece

Texas Lt. Gov. Patrick’s False Claim About Unvaccinated Black People

The majority of United States residents who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 are white

That contradicts Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s claim that, “in most states,” Black residents are “the biggest group” of unvaccinated people.

Patrick, in an Aug. 19 appearance on Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle,” falsely implied that it was unvaccinated Black people who are responsible for the resurgence of the coronavirus in his state and around the rest of the country.

“Well, the biggest group in most states are African Americans who have not been vaccinated. The last time I checked, over 90% of them vote for Democrats in their major cities and major counties.”

a KFF poll of individuals conducted between July 15 and July 27 found that among

unvaccinated adults,

57% were white,

20% were Hispanic and

13% were Black.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/08/scicheck-texas-lt-gov-patricks-false-claim-about-unvaccinated-black-people/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    summary of Texas holiness wanted by bag Texans, due 1 Sep 2021

Abortion restrictions, alcohol-to-go, critical race theory:

These Texas laws go into effect Sept. 1

https://www.expressnews.com/news/leg...1-16408129.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas House panel backs Gov. Greg Abbott’s plan to nearly triple state spending on border security

https://link.dallasnews.com/lt.php?i=18687A19299A15A848988

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mother er Biden is now up to 237k of dead Americans, bouts. & counting, son.
    Don't you know the counting stopped in January?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Texas House panel backs Gov. Greg Abbott’s plan to nearly triple state spending on border security

https://link.dallasnews.com/lt.php?i=18687A19299A15A848988
    Bully, bully for them!!!

Thread Information