Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the alpha. (Not including role player guys like Horry, Steve Kerr, Carlos Beltran, even Gronkowski, though the latter was sure damn good last night)...

"Tampa" Tom Brady (7) > Michael Jordan (6) > Tim Duncan (5) > Babe Ruth (4) > Wayne Gretzky (4) > Bill Russell (11 / 2 [for the era] = 5.5) > Kobe Bryant (5*) > Le James (a few rings but far more failures in the end).

TAMPA TOM BRADY = Undisputable GOAT of all sports, tbh.

Discuss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Jordan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's meaningless to compare athletes across different sports.

Even if you could, since when is ring count the sole metric by which we judge greatness? If it were that simple, there would be nothing to discuss.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Truth.

It's funny watching the talking heads write him off every year. This is it, he's declining - we all get old, nothing to be ashamed of but it's the end of the line for Tom. Then he proceeds to make them all look stupid. Been going on for about 7 years now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can he be GOAT when he plays only one side of the ball and his success depends on a superior OL, etc.? Also when beyond more than most of the world doesn't even know who he is and never will?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't believe in a universal GOAT of sports. Can't compare different sports to each other. With that said if you asked somebody who would they like to be and they had to chose between Prime Jordan or Prime Brady; I'm willing to bet the majority would go with prime Jordan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the GOAT concept in murican football

Whatever the media talking heads need to keep their jobs

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth.

It's funny watching the talking heads write him off every year. This is it, he's declining - we all get old, nothing to be ashamed of but it's the end of the line for Tom. Then he proceeds to make them all look stupid. Been going on for about 7 years now.
    All these old white qbs making late playoff pushes based solely on the fact the college game has absolutely killed that position. Prioritizing athleticism over smarts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Great Tom in action.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1358577834013327360

Offensive pass interference called defensive PI by BradyRef.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moar of the Great Tom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EttNlmpW...jpg&name=large

NFL rules expert and ex ref Terry McAulay says most def incidental contact, no PI call should have been made.
    So that makes 3 so far on the day?
    2 leading to TDs, 1 leading to burning Honey Bear out of an INT.

Hail Tom you Brady Slurpers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's meaningless to compare athletes across different sports.

Even if you could, since when is ring count the sole metric by which we judge greatness? If it were that simple, there would be nothing to discuss.
    You're wrong. Period.

It's not just the ring count. It's the way it's done, being the alpha and so clutch situationally and all. And by the way, the NFL is the hardest league in pro sports to repeat, due to the short quan y of games per season and single elimination playoffs as well as the hard salary cap and parity-driven reality of the NFL vs. other leagues which offer soft caps, bird rights, soft cap w/luxury tax (baseball), etc. which are much more dynasty-friendly.
    How can he be GOAT when he plays only one side of the ball and his success depends on a superior OL, etc.? Also when beyond more than most of the world doesn't even know who he is and never will?
    That's a lousy argument, since the Buccaneers OL was garbage until *suddenly* Tom Brady joined the team? The Patriots supposedly had a *premium* OL (except to people like Will Hunting that actually watched the games) until Brady left, then they were garbage in 2020?

A great QB makes an OL look better than they are with their footwork in the pocket and pocket presence. Manipulating the OL/DL in his favor with his eyes and feet, rather than scrambling or running. It's by far the most underrated skillset of a QB and it's honestly what makes Tom Brady the GOAT. Now I must admit, what Mahomes had to deal with a completely useless offensive line that couldn't block an old lady, with 3/5 backups (and the Chiefs' 3 Pro Bowl linemen all the ones out) last night just wasn't fair, and no QB could have managed that situation against the ferocious Tampa front four. Those backups weren't NFL quality at all.

Also, your povertyball argument is stupid, because poverty countries don't count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're wrong. Period.

It's not just the ring count. It's the way it's done, being the alpha and so clutch situationally and all. And by the way, the NFL is the hardest league in pro sports to repeat, due to the short quan y of games per season and single elimination playoffs as well as the hard salary cap and parity-driven reality of the NFL vs. other leagues which offer soft caps, bird rights, soft cap w/luxury tax (baseball), etc. which are much more dynasty-friendly.
    The extent to which comparisons across sports mean anything is very limited. I suppose you can say, "player X dominated sport X relatively more than player Y dominated sport Y." For example, "George Mikan dominated basketball more than Otto Graham dominated football." However, when you try to translate that to a vague metric like "greatness" it doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't make sense to say, "George Mikan was better than Otto Graham." Better at what exactly? Even if you specify a generalized concept that does apply across sports, like clutch performance, the conditions are still completely different in one sport compared to another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The extent to which comparisons across sports mean anything is very limited. I suppose you can say, "player X dominated sport X relatively more than player Y dominated sport Y." For example, "George Mikan dominated basketball more than Otto Graham dominated football." However, when you try to translate that to a vague metric like "greatness" it doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't make sense to say, "George Mikan was better than Otto Graham." Better at what exactly? Even if you specify a generalized concept that does apply across sports, like clutch performance, the conditions are still completely different in one sport compared to another.
    George Mikan was fantastic for his era but would he have been in today's NBA? They didn't have offensive 3 seconds in his era, and there were 8 teams in the NBA. No three pointers to balance out the paint game, etc. Bill Russell's championship dynasty was great for its time but when you consider it was an uncapped league with 8 teams and mostly white players and Russell was the trump card because he was one of two tall good black guys in the league and the other was Wilt who had a far inferior team around him.

Otto Graham was pre Super Bowl, I really consider the NFL to have started in the first Super Bowl year. Again, very few black players back then so the compe ion was nerfed. No salary cap, far less teams, less structure etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the GOAT concept in murican football

Whatever the media talking heads need to keep their jobs
    I call it the GOAT industrial complex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the alpha. (Not including role player guys like Horry, Steve Kerr, Carlos Beltran, even Gronkowski, though the latter was sure damn good last night)...

"Tampa" Tom Brady (7) > Michael Jordan (6) > Tim Duncan (5) > Babe Ruth (4) > Wayne Gretzky (4) > Bill Russell (11 / 2 [for the era] = 5.5) > Kobe Bryant (5*) > Le James (a few rings but far more failures in the end).

TAMPA TOM BRADY = Undisputable GOAT of all sports, tbh.

Discuss.
    Sebastian Loeb, 8 time WRC champion. Guess, this makes him the true goat, according to your logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sebastian Loeb, 8 time WRC champion. Guess, this makes him the true goat, according to your logic.
    Individual sports / minor sports don't count... that's a different animal. the North American big four + global world soccer are the only ones that really qualify as major sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plus, if you want to count individual sports, I'm sure Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong won more than that guy

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moar of the Great Tom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EttNlmpW...jpg&name=large

NFL rules expert and ex ref Terry McAulay says most def incidental contact, no PI call should have been made.
    So that makes 3 so far on the day?
    2 leading to TDs, 1 leading to burning Honey Bear out of an INT.

Hail Tom you Brady Slurpers.
    Not uncommon for that to be called. If not, d backs would be pulling that all the time.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do agree though that officiating interference is endemic in sports now though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most one sided officiating I have seen since the refs gifted Big Ben his first superbowl ring. But it is still a impressive and hard to argue otherwise. Dude has the rings, all pros, pro bowls, mvps, superbowl mvps, and longevity

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah, twitter told me Serena Williams is the goat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do agree though that officiating interference is endemic in sports now though.
    Moar Great, great Tom plays.

Was it the same ref who called all three bogus PIs? I heard 2 were for sure. Not the chick i hope.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Most one sided officiating I have seen since the refs gifted Big Ben his first superbowl ring. But it is still a impressive and hard to argue otherwise. Dude has the rings, all pros, pro bowls, mvps, superbowl mvps, and longevity

Chiefs were outplayed in 7 outta 8 SB quarters. Very fortunate to not be the Bills right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Mikan was fantastic for his era but would he have been in today's NBA? They didn't have offensive 3 seconds in his era, and there were 8 teams in the NBA. No three pointers to balance out the paint game, etc. Bill Russell's championship dynasty was great for its time but when you consider it was an uncapped league with 8 teams and mostly white players and Russell was the trump card because he was one of two tall good black guys in the league and the other was Wilt who had a far inferior team around him.

Otto Graham was pre Super Bowl, I really consider the NFL to have started in the first Super Bowl year. Again, very few black players back then so the compe ion was nerfed. No salary cap, far less teams, less structure etc.
    Yeah I know. I was just using Mikan and Graham as random examples to illustrate my point, to make it a little more tangible. I guess thinking about 50s basketball led me to think of a 50s football player too. (I just recently read a history book about the NFL, so that was very interesting.)

Thread Information