Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A minimum wage that doesn't factor cost of living doesn't make sense.
    Minimum wage hasn't done that in over a decade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Min wage was suppose to be for 15 year olds to go to work and learn how to do a job and money
    Not to raise a family on

You want more robots in store raise the min wage

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Min wage was suppose to be for 15 year olds to go to work and learn how to do a job and money
    Not to raise a family on
    We live in service economy dumbass, the nation is built on ty jobs. A $7.50 minimum wage pushes too much load onto the taxpayer through food stamps and Medicaid instead of ensuring a wage people can live on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wyoming is doing ok with that now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the does the federal gov need one
    The states should have one for their economy not big federal government

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah hard to imagine a $15 minimum wage in West Virginia. No wonder why Manchin won't sign off on this.

What sucks about politicians is it has to be all or nothing. Why not negotiate a $12 minimum wage instead? (I think 10 is too low even for WV or Kentucky. )
    i had to drive through a chunk of WV to pick up a car i bought. wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy to live there , ing dreadful place

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Senate parliamentarian has dealt a potentially lethal blow to Democrats’ drive to hike the minimum wage, deciding that the cherished progressive goal must fall from a massive COVID-19 relief bill the party is trying to speed through Congress, Democratic Senate aides said Thursday.

The finding by Elizabeth MacDonough, the chamber’s nonpartisan arbiter of its rules, comes as Democrats prepare for House approval Friday of an initial version of the $1.9 trillion package that still includes the minimum wage boost.

It also forces Democrats to make politically painful choices about what to do next on the minimum wage, which has long caused internal party rifts.

The Senate aides confirmed the parliamentarian's decision to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because it hadn't yet been released.

Progressives seeking to maximize Democratic control of the White House and Congress have wanted party leaders to push aggressively on the issue. The proposal would gradually raise the federal minimum wage to $15 over five years, well over the $7.25 in effect since 2009.

But Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona have voiced opposition to including the minimum wage hike in the relief bill, and other moderates have expressed concerns, too.

That suggests Democrats could well lack the strength they need for it to survive. Democrats control the 50-50 Senate with Vice President Kamala Harris’ tiebreaking vote and can’t lose any of their senators to prevail. Republicans solidly oppose the hike to $15.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Senate parliamentarian has dealt a potentially lethal blow to Democrats’ drive to hike the minimum wage, deciding that the cherished progressive goal must fall from a massive COVID-19 relief bill the party is trying to speed through Congress, Democratic Senate aides said Thursday.

The finding by Elizabeth MacDonough, the chamber’s nonpartisan arbiter of its rules, comes as Democrats prepare for House approval Friday of an initial version of the $1.9 trillion package that still includes the minimum wage boost.

It also forces Democrats to make politically painful choices about what to do next on the minimum wage, which has long caused internal party rifts.

The Senate aides confirmed the parliamentarian's decision to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because it hadn't yet been released.

Progressives seeking to maximize Democratic control of the White House and Congress have wanted party leaders to push aggressively on the issue. The proposal would gradually raise the federal minimum wage to $15 over five years, well over the $7.25 in effect since 2009.

But Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona have voiced opposition to including the minimum wage hike in the relief bill, and other moderates have expressed concerns, too.

That suggests Democrats could well lack the strength they need for it to survive. Democrats control the 50-50 Senate with Vice President Kamala Harris’ tiebreaking vote and can’t lose any of their senators to prevail. Republicans solidly oppose the hike to $15.
    I just want my 2800 smackers! I got my eye on a pair of 100 smacker slippers from that Jewish online shoe store, Hammacher,
    Sc mer.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It won't cause mass inflation nationally, any more than it caused inflation in the states where it was implemented.

Economics fail.
    It's economics fail to say that some podunk town in say, east Oklahoma where the average house costs literally 25k with an acre of land and crazy cheap property taxes, should be forced to pay $15 an hour W2 when the market rate for a minimum job like burger flipping, dishwashing or countertop cleaning (e.g. a high school / temporary job, not meant to be a livelihood in the first place... that's what the Left fails to understand about all this) is probably even less than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25.

One size fits all approach in a diverse AF nation in all aspects of the word "diverse" = epic fail.

I'm not against a $15 minimum wage in cities like SF / greater Silicon Valley, LA, NYC, Boston, even Chicago (because of the huge economic divide there), Denver, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, maybe Madison, parts of Connecticut/Rhode Island/New Jersey, etc. Generally high cost of living cities. (Other big cities like Dallas/Atlanta/Houston/Miami could go $12 but not $15 IMO because they are cheaper and save money on income taxes, IMO.)

But even then, minimum wage jobs are intended to be extra income for someone young and uneducated, basically elbow grease and a loss of work-virginity per se, character building, resume enhancement, learning to work under ty managers, learning to deal with W2s and filing taxes, etc..... i.e., paid learning experiences for kids... not permanent careers. That's what the Left fails to understand in all this.

Minimum wage is meant to protect such employees from an extreme crash in the market value of cheap labor, such as the case in China et al., i.e. in Seattle the market equilibrium for minimum wage is probably north of $15 by this point, but in rural parts of the USA the market equilibrium for the same labor is probably closer to $5-6 per hour. Setting a price floor on a federal level is a dangerous precedent and a failure at basic arithmetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's economics fail to say that some podunk town in say, east Oklahoma where the average house costs literally 25k with an acre of land and crazy cheap property taxes, should be forced to pay $15 an hour W2 when the market rate for a minimum job like burger flipping, dishwashing or countertop cleaning (e.g. a high school / temporary job, not meant to be a livelihood in the first place... that's what the Left fails to understand about all this) is probably even less than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25.

One size fits all approach in a diverse AF nation in all aspects of the word "diverse" = epic fail.

I'm not against a $15 minimum wage in cities like SF / greater Silicon Valley, LA, NYC, Boston, even Chicago (because of the huge economic divide there), Denver, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, maybe Madison, parts of Connecticut/Rhode Island/New Jersey, etc. Generally high cost of living cities. (Other big cities like Dallas/Atlanta/Houston/Miami could go $12 but not $15 IMO because they are cheaper and save money on income taxes, IMO.)

But even then, minimum wage jobs are intended to be extra income for someone young and uneducated, basically elbow grease and a loss of work-virginity per se, character building, resume enhancement, learning to work under ty managers, learning to deal with W2s and filing taxes, etc..... i.e., paid learning experiences for kids... not permanent careers. That's what the Left fails to understand in all this.

Minimum wage is meant to protect such employees from an extreme crash in the market value of cheap labor, such as the case in China et al., i.e. in Seattle the market equilibrium for minimum wage is probably north of $15 by this point, but in rural parts of the USA the market equilibrium for the same labor is probably closer to $5-6 per hour. Setting a price floor on a federal level is a dangerous precedent and a failure at basic arithmetic.
    1. The left understands economics better than the right. Don't give me that , and especially don't give me that unless you have actually read any of hte studies on the subject.

For better or worse we are in an integrated economic union.

If podunk places can't educate their kids, and provide good jobs for them... they lose out to cities. been that way since there have been cities. That is why economies do well when cities do well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. The left understands economics better than the right. Don't give me that , and especially don't give me that unless you have actually read any of hte studies on the subject.

For better or worse we are in an integrated economic union.

If podunk places can't educate their kids, and provide good jobs for them... they lose out to cities. been that way since there have been cities. That is why economies do well when cities do well.
    only 20% of Americans live in rural areas.

The Repugs "champion" them, but do nothing to help them, and much to hurt them.

eg, rural hospitals and clinics are closing, rural broadband is still a long way off

America is dominated by metropolitan agglomerations, has been urbanizing for 100+ years.

Better schools, health care access, jobs, socialization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    neocon Biden taking a in liber s

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    neocon Biden taking a in liber s
    He pushed for a 15 bucks an hour, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They should run Bernie and see how that goes a third time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We live in service economy dumbass, the nation is built on ty jobs.
    This is why need to MAGA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate parliamentarian expresses opinions, not rules, is but an advisor to the VP

Cons ution says Kamala Harris is the decider

Pelosi keeps $15 in the bill
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-26-2021 at 09:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

damn, i was promised Marxism-Bidenism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is what we were promised. what happened

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Have you actually ever bought a sandwich with your own money? Or is that just another thing the mrs pays for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not a surprise. The Return of the Establishment is what the left wanted.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL at the idea that Mitch McConnell isn't the establishment.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you want when you voted for Biden?

Fake ignore incoming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Mitch gone
    Only thing Mitch did was get judges in
    Other stuff he was useless

Thread Information