Sinema went full Maverick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The minimum-wage fiasco will hurt millions. But it will hit red states hardest.

More than 23.8 million people made less than $15 per hour in 2019,

around 12.4 million reside in the 22 states with two Republican senators, Brookings found. That number is more significant than it seems, since those states tend to be less populous.

By contrast, only 7.3 million of those workers live in the 23 states that have two Democratic senators. And the remaining 4.2 million live in states with one senator from each party or in D.C.

some of the states with the largest numbers of these low-wage workers, relative to their populations, are in the Deep South, the Midwest, and the Plains and Western states.

“Low-wage work is everywhere, but it’s increasingly a Southern and Midwestern problem, policy-wise,”

a lot of people in red states that have raised their minimum wages will still get left behind by Congress’s failure.

virtually all Democratic senators favor the $15 minimum wage, while just about all Republican senators oppose it.

Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) opposed.

Their opposition is dispiriting: West Virginia is a very poor state, and
    as James Downie points out,

Arizona has already passed one of the highest minimum wages in the country, so Sinema is denying the same benefit to others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/03/minimum-wage-hurt-red-states-brookings

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With a name like Cinema, you'd expect a show.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA USA
    Raise alll prices will not matter
    Why to go donkeys
    so why don't be lower all the salaries starting with the rich to lower prices?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not close to an economist, but some of the most vulnerable small businesses in places like South Texas or not going to be able to handle this.

It has always been a problem legislating equality in wealth. I would think tax cuts for the richest are not the way to go, but beyond this and a few other things this is always been tough. This requires a cultural change beyond me myself and I imo.

If you read many red team members responses under Trump then it’s pretty clear the culture is dogs eat dogs. How you change this, I have a not a clue. They truly believe this pseudo-Darwinian “I got to get mine first at the expense of others”

* Foot note

Many of these people claim to be Christians.
    if they cannot handle that and people cannot live on minimum wage, that means that there is a big problem in redistribution of wealth in society. Republicans have push the rhetoric of trickle down economy, which failed miserably and now poor people cannot live and small business cannot afford to raise minimum wage

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Min wage was suppose to be for 15 year olds to go to work and learn how to do a job and money
    Not to raise a family on

You want more robots in store raise the min wage
    you know what, we should give 0$ to employees and go back to slavery to keep prices down. You don't seem bothered by the fact that the top1% took most of the economic gain since 1980 (and Reagan). Maybe the economy would be better and we wouldn't talk about raising the minimum wage if this disparity didn't occur. I still don't understand how people can still believe in trickle down economy while it has failed so badly. It seems that most people don't read and look at data

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Biden is the one voting in Congress?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why need to MAGA
    Did trump and his family bring the jobs manufacturing their goods back from China? No, that's what I thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm blocking you
    Mr 200 alts getting hooked so easily

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "32 million workers would receive a raise under a $15 minimum wage—and

24 million of them are in states where senators voted against it.

In other words,

75% of workers who would benefit from a $15 minimum wage are in states represented by senators who voted no last week.

The Senate must take up and pass the Raise the Wage Act as soon as possible.

-- Economic Policy Ins ute

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Thumbs-Down to Sinema, Survey Finds Majority of Arizona Voters Favor $15 Minimum Wage

"The verdict is clear—in Arizona, voting to raise the minimum wage is the smartest political move."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...?cd-origin=rss

Manchin heard a lot of disagreement from WVA when he wanted $11

Pass $15 now and indexed to inflation from now (Powell wants higher inflation, like 3% or more)

Pass $15 now, but pay $15 in 4 years will only buy $14 or less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard for me to agree mandating a minimum wage when the cost of living varies so much across the country.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard for me to agree mandating a minimum wage when the cost of living varies so much across the country.
    Agreed. Should be purely a state & local issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Should be purely a state & local issue.
    It makes some sense to set a maximum rate of exploitation, does it not? Few complain that $7.25/hour is too high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $11 is better than nothing tbh. No way any increase in minimum wage has 10 R votes tho

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes some sense to set a maximum rate of exploitation, does it not? Few complain that $7.25/hour is too high.
    Does that rate need to be the same in San Francisco, CA as it is in San Francisco, TX? We're not a genous nation, cost and income structures are different. One size does not fit all. Besides, the majority of Americans already live in a state or city with a minimum wage above $7.25.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does that rate need to be the same in San Francisco, CA as it is in San Francisco, TX? We're not a genous nation, cost and income structures are different. One size does not fit all. Besides, the majority of Americans already live in a state or city with a minimum wage above $7.25.
    NONE of the state minimum wages are livable. $15 isn't livable in top 25? metro areas.

but $800B and empire every year for the corrupt multiple-war-losing MIC is absolutely the minimum to squeak by

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NONE of the state minimum wages are livable. $15 isn't livable in top 25? metro areas.

but $800B and empire every year for the corrupt multiple-war-losing MIC is absolutely the minimum to squeak by
    The concept of "livable" is subjective, arbitrary and meaningless in the context of the employer-employee relationship. You are not your employer's dependent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. But there are areas where that's a good wage and anything higher could close down the business. If you're out in bum wherever, $7.25 might be too much. The problem is that the business owner will always be wanting a lower wage and the worker, always a higher wage. There's an equilibrium where it works for both (assuming a successful business plan). But that equilibrium is different for every city in the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any event, all these jobs will eventually be replaced (totally or partially) with robots and we'll have a new discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And whenever bring up the about robots, most of the people I know just dismiss it. Or don't want to think about it.

Thread Information