Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's bs. The floor is being raised in terms of prerequisites for most decent jobs, but pay isn't following. You can't offer 35k per year with no benefits while expecting a bachelor's and 10 years experience, and claim "no one wants to work" when they say eff your ty job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny though how the world nearly collapsed according to Repugs because Karen and Darrin couldn't get their salads and mimosas fast enough during lockdowns, and started calling everyone who worked the jobs "heroes". But when it's time to start talking about a raise they're suddenly saying none of the so-called heroes deserve anything close to $15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny though how the world nearly collapsed according to Repugs because Karen and Darrin couldn't get their salads and mimosas fast enough during lockdowns, and started calling everyone who worked the jobs "heroes". But when it's time to start talking about a raise they're suddenly saying none of the so-called heroes deserve anything close to $15.
    You're always welcomed to increase your tips.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really doubt the constipated Congress can create a sophisticated Federal minimum wage, pro-rate to regional costs, and indexed annually to inflation.

The floor everywhere should be $20, enforced from 2025, then increased for high-cost areas, starting now.

States have no compunction about hitting poor people with punitively regressive property and sales taxes, and blocking any attempts at rent control or building affordable housing.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it's time to start talking about the incompetent government forcing people to do things they aren't there asking to give the incompetent government more power? Seems reasonable.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Government force isn't the moral choice as the leftists would have you believe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the federal government starts Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical, etc. (ALL engineers with Bachelors/GS 5) at $30,414 (adjusted for locality) - that's $15 per hour.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Resul...smax=45847&p=1

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the federal government starts Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical, etc. (ALL engineers with Bachelors/GS 5) at $30,414 (adjusted for locality) - that's $15 per hour.

What’s your point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Government force isn't the moral choice as the leftists would have you believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The only thing that proves is that you don't understand the economic value of PTO, retirement, or health insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When it's time to start talking about the incompetent government forcing people to do things they aren't there asking to give the incompetent government more power? Seems reasonable.
    Sounds way better than your desire to give unelected corporate executives immunity, money, and power.

You desired political format absolutely takes peoples ability to vote away, so the negative feedback of elections forcing change would give way to naked fascist corpratism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yuck. That's ing terrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have disdain for people that pretend people are actually working for $7.25 an hour.
    I know my nephew is working for that much in a burger king in the rio grande valley. He's young (early 20s) and texas born and raised.

He's not a complete moron, but there's some of that going on. That said, plenty of places that will only pay that to desperate people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's re ed to even have a nationwide minimum wage. The local compe ive market should set the wage. High cost areas like New York, Seattle, LA, etc. would naturally have higher wages than lower cost areas like Alabama. In San Antonio it appears that $12 is around the average for unskilled uneducated labor. The more skills they acquire, the higher the pay. I know the cheapest I have on the payroll is for a "moderate" skill shop guy that unloads trucks, sweeps and cleans, takes deliveries, etc. @ $20 an hour plus insurance, matching 401K, paid holidays and vacation etc.
    The counter-argument to this is that inflation is a federal matter, since the money supply is a federal matter. The dollar depreciates over time the same for everybody no matter where they live. The US, Mexico or anywhere in the world where somebody is holding a US dollar.

Since we have a ~2% depreciation in the currency on an annual basis, but no adjustment at all on the federal minimum wage, that means in net terms that minimum wage keeps going down in purchase power (and thus getting liquidated) every year. Again, no matter where you live.

This is why federally we should have a reasonable minimum, then states can implement their own, at that level or above, based on the local conditions. The fact that the federal minimum wage is not adjusted for inflation is already a great ripoff favoring employers. This is because the minimum wage generally drives the overall salary scale.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing that proves is that you don't understand the economic value of PTO, retirement, or health insurance.
    Can you do nothing but insult me? I am a government worker so I fully understand the economic value of PTO, retirement and health insurance.

Getting back to the subject - Miami-Dade County starts their Engineer 1 at $54,932.02 compared to the $30,414 starting pay for Federal Engineers with similar PTO, retirement and health insurance.
    Last edited by rmt; 10-08-2021 at 08:03 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s your point?
    My point is that maybe the federal government should take a long look at THEIR pay (for Engineers) before they start mandating a national $15 minimum wage for burger flippers. C'mon - do you know how hard those engineering problems are? Makes my head hurt when I look at them.
    Last edited by rmt; 10-08-2021 at 08:08 AM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My point is that maybe the federal government should take a long look at THEIR pay (for Engineers) before they start mandating a national $15 minimum wage for burger flippers. C'mon - do you know how hard those engineering problems are? Makes my head hurt when I look at them.
    They absolutely should be paid more than that. Doesn’t change the fact that minimum wage needs to go up too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you do nothing but insult me? I am a government worker so I fully understand the economic value of PTO, retirement and health insurance.

Getting back to the subject - Miami-Dade County starts their Engineer 1 at $54,932.02 compared to the $30,414 starting pay for Federal Engineers with similar PTO, retirement and health insurance.
    What is the economic value of those things? Put a dollar figure on it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point is that maybe the federal government should take a long look at THEIR pay (for Engineers) before they start mandating a national $15 minimum wage for burger flippers.
    Nah, do the minimum wage first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, do the minimum wage first.
    So, you think burger flippers (with no educational requirement - not even a high school diploma) should earn the same as Engineers with a Bachelors?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, you think burger flippers (with no educational requirement - not even a high school diploma) should earn the same as Engineers with a Bachelors?
    I think engineers have more opportunities than a single federal job in the USA.

You proved that yourself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the economic value of those things? Put a dollar figure on it.
    It doesn't matter what the economic value of those things are - because local governments are paying $24k more than federal government with SIMILAR benefits.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The burger flipper should get paid a livable wage. The engineer should be paid more than the burger flipper. They can both happen.

Why do you look at poor people with such disdain? Do you think flipping burgers while getting screamed at by your manager and customers is a job you could handle? Not saying they need to make six figures, but jobs like that aren’t easy. They should be paid accordingly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The burger flipper should get paid a livable wage. The engineer should be paid more than the burger flipper. They can both happen.

Why do you look at poor people with such disdain? Do you think flipping burgers while getting screamed at by your manager and customers is a job you could handle? Not saying they need to make six figures, but jobs like that aren’t easy. They should be paid accordingly.
    "No skill" yet half of these Karens can't even hold a knife let alone cook a decent meal. That's why most are ordering out, eating like a whale, and screeching at workers when the food is a minute late then tipping like , but still find the meal great enough to grace their ty Facebook feeds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boycott restaurants that don't pay their cooks more than minimum wage.

Thread Information