Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The one disappointing part for me is that we never got to see Bill and Ellie interact. We essentially spent an entire episode on people that passively helped Joel and Ellie. I could see viewers that have no knowledge of the game being confused as to why they dedicated so much time on something that had very little to do with their journey.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The one disappointing part for me is that we never got to see Bill and Ellie interact. We essentially spent an entire episode on people that passively helped Joel and Ellie. I could see viewers that have no knowledge of the game being confused as to why they dedicated so much time on something that had very little to do with their journey.
    I miss this scene

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thought it was pretty amazing myself.
    Sure but it had really nothing to do with the story other than fleshing out Bill and Frank's love story. Joel/Ellie were in it for like 5 mins and they completely changed Franks wanting to leave because Bill is a miserable asshole into a happy love story. One reason I enjoyed LoU so much is because everything was so bleak and depressing. Not sure I liked how they dressed this part up

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sure but it had really nothing to do with the story other than fleshing out Bill and Frank's love story. Joel/Ellie were in it for like 5 mins and they completely changed Franks wanting to leave because Bill is a miserable asshole into a happy love story. One reason I enjoyed LoU so much is because everything was so bleak and depressing. Not sure I liked how they dressed this part up
    yeah serious i wish it was more bleak and depressing. instead of this ridiculously happy and hopeful story of a sick partner saying they're killing themselves today and the other healthy one also killing himself

while i liked having joel/bill/ellie interact in the game, i actually think this version was more powerful. aside from the weak plot point of bill "owing joel some favors" that are never explained and just left at that, i like that the whole world doesnt revolve around joel/ellie. the show is demonstrating how this event is uniquely painful and difficult for all individuals.

it was frustrating that the plot barely moved forward, but tbh i like the depth they gave

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    its clear the show isnt trying to turn this into a resident evil movie where joel/ellie just slaughter their way through massive hoardes of zombies or just have every episode an action/stealth sequence. having them rampage through the school to get a car battery, get back to the car, and then just drive away... all because bill "owes joel some favors" doesnt tell much story at all anyway. bill serves no real plot significance to TLOU aside from knowing where to find a battery (and then the battery not being there anyway). at least for the purpose of the show they gave a fleshed version of it

i also dont think the show wanted the whole "lol i found a gay magazine" bit as some corny gamergate reveal

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Them killing themselves aside their whole ep was about their love and how happiness could be found even in the apocalypse. Yeah it was a sad ending but they lived happily together that entire time and it was a massive departure from the implied relationship of bill and frank in the game. I know you've played it. This is sunshine and rainbows when it comes to Bills character versus the miserable paranoid head he was in the game and it was just to appease a certain audience

It gave depth to a part that didn't really need it. I mean great for everyone that identified with it and enjoyed it. Not taking anything away from them but I didn't like how they approached this ep and if a post apocalyptic gay love story is the high point of the season I am somewhat concerned about the rest of it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    the purpose of the TV show isn't just to repeat cutscenes for players who loved the game, its also to expand the IP to a broader audience. my wife hates games but she's loving the show

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And yeah two lovebirds living out the apocalypse together and one dying of old age / natural causes and the other choosing to go out with him and how it was presented on screen was definitely not bleak and depressing at all. Imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the purpose of the TV show isn't just to repeat cutscenes for players who loved the game, its also to expand the IP to a broader audience. my wife hates games but she's loving the show
    When did I say they needed to repeat cutscenes? There were million different ways they could have approached this part of the game and the way they chose I didn't like. I don't need you to tell me why my opinion is incorrect or invalid

And my dislike of this ep has nothing to do with them being gay. Idc about that. I care about the narrative change to bills character

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Them killing themselves aside their whole ep was about their love and how happiness could be found even in the apocalypse. Yeah it was a sad ending but they lived happily together that entire time and it was a massive departure from the implied relationship of bill and frank in the game. I know you've played it. This is sunshine and rainbows when it comes to Bills character versus the miserable paranoid head he was in the game and it was just to appease a certain audience

It gave depth to a part that didn't really need it. I mean great for everyone that identified with it and enjoyed it. Not taking anything away from them but I didn't like how they approached this ep and if a post apocalyptic gay love story is the high point of the season I am somewhat concerned about the rest of it
    bill was still mostly miserable. he clearly didnt care for frank's intention of cleaning up the town. he didnt want to make friends. even when frank/tess were having a grand old time there was the tense conversation between him and joel. bill was still a miserable . he just had a soft spot for frank

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah i didnt get that impression at all. He just seemed a little surly. They threw in one instance of him not wanting to get supplies for Frank to clean and then a little tenseness with Joel and thats it. To me they missed the mark on Bills character. aside from his jackboot comment at the beginning and Frank telling him he thought 9/11 was an inside job you didnt even really get a good picture of his anti-government at udes

plus, he invites the first guy that falls into his trap and feeds him dinner after being in the post-apoc for 4 years? didnt really make sense

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    When did I say they needed to repeat cutscenes? There were million different ways they could have approached this part of the game and the way they chose I didn't like. I don't need you to tell me why my opinion is incorrect or invalid
    i mean, we just disagree. i never said your opinion was invalid lol. but obviously if i disagree with your opinion i'm going to think its incorrect. thats just called disagreeing. the reason i said "repeat cutscenes" is because your complaints mostly seemed to be that they deviated from the game (changed from frank wanting to leave... "massive departure from the first game")

And my dislike of this ep has nothing to do with them being gay. Idc about that. I care about the narrative change to bills character
    i mean, in the game they were gay too, so them being gay wouldnt necessarily have anything to do with it, nor did i ever imply that your issue with the episode was because of the gay angle. you're the only one who keeps bringing up the gay angle "post apocalyptic gay love story is the high point of the season" comment, etc

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    And yeah two lovebirds living out the apocalypse together and one dying of old age / natural causes and the other choosing to go out with him and how it was presented on screen was definitely not bleak and depressing at all. Imo
    my wife was bawling from the moment frank said it was his last day basically until the episode ended

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yeah i didnt get that impression at all. He just seemed a little surly. They threw in one instance of him not wanting to get supplies for Frank to clean and then a little tenseness with Joel and thats it. To me they missed the mark on Bills character. aside from his jackboot comment at the beginning and Frank telling him he thought 9/11 was an inside job you didnt even really get a good picture of his anti-government at udes

plus, he invites the first guy that falls into his trap and feeds him dinner after being in the post-apoc for 4 years? didnt really make sense
    i mean, him dodging the evacuation and building his setup, having his panic room beneath the basement (you can hear soldiers saying they're sweeping the basement and they were clearly above him). i think you get a good idea of what kind of guy he is. the rugged appearance as well.

as for why he let Frank in... its also probably the first human he's encountered in years. he confirmed he wasnt infected. and as miserable a as bill was, everybody wants some form of companionship. even game Bill had a gay relationship with Frank at some point, it was just off screen. not crazy to me. it was also just supposed to be a single meal. i dont think bill anticipated where things went

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i mean, we just disagree. i never said your opinion was invalid lol. but obviously if i disagree with your opinion i'm going to think its incorrect. thats just called disagreeing. the reason i said "repeat cutscenes" is because your complaints mostly seemed to be that they deviated from the game (changed from frank wanting to leave... "massive departure from the first game")

i mean, in the game they were gay too, so them being gay wouldnt necessarily have anything to do with it, nor did i ever imply that your issue with the episode was because of the gay angle. you're the only one who keeps bringing up the gay angle "post apocalyptic gay love story is the high point of the season" comment, etc
    i dont care if they deviate from the game, i just wanted the deviations to make sense and be true to the characters as presented in the game. Like i said, they could have approached this ep in any number of ways. They totally softened Bills character and he is almost nothing like his character in the game.

when it comes to live screen adaptations of games i come into it expecting changing to the way the story plays out. What i dont like is when they change a characters personality. Same reason i absolutely despised that Halo show. Narrative changes aside the Jon-117 character was absolutely nothing like his novel/game counterpart

that said I didnt hate or dislike Ep3 or anything, my original point was I kept hearing how Ep3 was going to be the best of the season and i went into it with high expectations which were left unmet with the way it unfolded

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    my wife was bawling from the moment frank said it was his last day basically until the episode ended
    eh, different kind of sad to me. Like, Frank chose his ending and Bill loved him enough to go along with him and Frank loved him enough to be okay with it. it's sad in the sense that people died but touching because two lovers lived their life together and chose to go out together peacefully. to me that is a different kind of bleakness/sadness than Bill finding Frank hanging in a house with a note telling him how much he hated him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i dont care if they deviate from the game, i just wanted the deviations to make sense and be true to the characters as presented in the game. Like i said, they could have approached this ep in any number of ways. They totally softened Bills character and he is almost nothing like his character in the game.

when it comes to live screen adaptations of games i come into it expecting changing to the way the story plays out. What i dont like is when they change a characters personality. Same reason i absolutely despised that Halo show. Narrative changes aside the Jon-117 character was absolutely nothing like his novel/game counterpart

that said I didnt hate or dislike Ep3 or anything, my original point was I kept hearing how Ep3 was going to be the best of the season and i went into it with high expectations which were left unmet with the way it unfolded
    i never played nor watched halo so cant comment. i also hadnt heard the stuff about Ep3 being the best or whatever, so i just watched it without that pre-conceived notion. my grip with the episode was that the main plot didnt move at all other than they found a car (and ellie's moment with the one zombie).

personally im fine with how they went about bill. im not sure game bill would have made for a compelling character on TV. i also thought the scene of the shootout was kind of a waste of time. they show bill getting shot and nearly dying, but then cut away to a scene later where bill is totally fine and its frank who is dying. so what was the point of showing bill get shot, especially if the fence was just going to repel all the raiders anyway? seemed like wasted runtime, and they instead could have ended the episode with the car crashing or something

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i never played nor watched halo so cant comment. i also hadnt heard the stuff about Ep3 being the best or whatever, so i just watched it without that pre-conceived notion. my grip with the episode was that the main plot didnt move at all other than they found a car (and ellie's moment with the one zombie).

personally im fine with how they went about bill. im not sure game bill would have made for a compelling character on TV. i also thought the scene of the shootout was kind of a waste of time. they show bill getting shot and nearly dying, but then cut away to a scene later where bill is totally fine and its frank who is dying. so what was the point of showing bill get shot, especially if the fence was just going to repel all the raiders anyway? seemed like wasted runtime, and they instead could have ended the episode with the car crashing or something

That was another gripe, I didnt see the point of the Raider sequence either since it seemed to have zero implications on the story or how it played out.

But yeah, I had heard a lot that Ep3 was the best and it would be the emmy episode. and i read that on multiple platforms in more than a couple articles. It wasnt a bad episode and i didnt hate it or anything, but as i said if that was allegedly the best i am now concerned for how the rest of the story is going to play out.

Pittsburg is my favorite part of the game, so i really hope they do the next episode justice

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    This is sunshine and rainbows when it comes to Bills character versus the miserable paranoid head he was in the game and it was just to appease a certain audience
    Or maybe it was just a great story. Were you annoyed when the Left Behind DLC came out and was that was happy and trying to appease a certain audience too?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Or maybe it was just a great story. Were you annoyed when the Left Behind DLC came out and was that was happy and trying to appease a certain audience too?
    Not at all. And i dont think it was a great story personally. like if they were straight, no one would even care. I'm not qhris or calf tats so save the anti gay rhetoric

didnt see anything "happy" about the left behind DLC either. it was also to provide backstory to certain things ellie references in the game, so it was not to appease a specific audience at all imho

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Not at all. And i dont think it was a great story personally. like if they were straight, no one would even care. I'm not qhris or calf tats so save the anti gay rhetoric

didnt see anything "happy" about the left behind DLC either. it was also to provide backstory to certain things ellie references in the game, so it was not to appease a specific audience at all imho
    'Appease a specific audience' sounds like rhetoric and Ellie's first kiss and first crush was one of the happiest moments of the series of games.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    'Appease a specific audience' sounds like rhetoric.
    if you interpret it that way, sure. but i remember when LoU2 came out and a certain audience was angry at the portrayal of Lev and didn't like the painting of a trans character in such a negative light regardless of whether or not they saw him as representation in gaming.

Again, this is a series that is near and dear to my heart, so any complaints are about the authenticity of the characters to their origins, IMO. you dont have to agree with them, and i dont really care if you do or dont. but like i said, you can save the anti gay rhetoric, because if that was what i actually cared about my favorite game wouldnt feature a gay lead

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    sure, that specific scene is happy for her, and then her best friend gets infected and dies shortly thereafter. nothing happy about that

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    sure, that specific scene is happy for her, and then her best friend gets infected and dies shortly thereafter. nothing happy about that
    you literally had the opposite point about episode 3

you argued bill/frank had a happy story even though it ends with them both killing themselves

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you literally had the opposite point about episode 3

you argued bill/frank had a happy story even though it ends with them both killing themselves
    A child getting bit infected and dying suddenly is not the same as an old man living years together happily with his partner having a terminal illness and CHOOSING how to meet their fate with their partner. The entire episode was about their love story and the life they built together.

Whatever man, I'll just keep my opinions to myself

Thread Information