Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Yeah, just enough time to walk to Bill's Town. Speaking of which, I don't remember if they ever said what that is based on. Just some random small town that neighbors Boston?
    I don’t think they ever specifically say what town it’s based on or anything like that

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    when you guys same time jump, would that include like, a few days of travel? i never got the sense that bill was crazy far from boston. its not like they got there via car or horseback

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    when you guys same time jump, would that include like, a few days of travel? i never got the sense that bill was crazy far from boston. its not like they got there via car or horseback
    I got the sense that they got there that afternoon. Maybe a day or two at most. Not sure why time jump was even mentioned.

I do think that the cold openers are going to continue to be flashbacks though. That's probably how we're going to get Bill's backstory, the Left Behind content, etc. That format would also work for the seasons covering the second game as there are already a lot of flashbacks there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So you haven't played the second game?
    I'm talking about the show, not the games. The games are amazing in ways a show never could be (I liked Part 2 more than most people), and the HBO series certainly isn't. It feels like exactly what it is, an adaptation of another medium. It's fine, probably as good as it can be, but it'll always feel like a cheap knockoff of the game, because it is.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 01-27-2023 at 12:04 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Black Summer

The first two episodes of LoU completely blow that out of the water. your last sentence is pretty much describing the LoU games too
    Nah. Black Summer is awesome for so many reasons, but another one is the chapter structure and episodic pacing. I like how the episodes are short, maybe 30-40 minutes, but so much happens in every episode because there are multiple quick-hitting chapters in each episode. Each chapter cuts between independently unfolding events in separate character arcs, and eventually they all intersect when the characters cross paths in different ways. And the whole thing just feels darker and more hopeless than even LoU. I don't know, just the overall style of Black Summer is fantastic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I don't like it that much. It's one of the better video game adaptations, but that's a low bar.

Black Summer is still the best zombie series IMO. It's the most brutal and realistic depiction of a collapsing society. One thing I don't like about most zombie shows is, there's generally a group of characters who you know in advance are going to survive to the end and be the heroes because they're the "stars of the show." In Black Summer, everyone is fair game, anyone can die, and you don't know what the is gonna happen next. The acting and cinematography are top tier. Every character is flawed, nobody is a perfect hero, but you can feel empathy for all of their various cir stances and how they cross paths.
    i dont understand this take at all. even if you dont consider the games... a first time watcher of this wouldnt come away with the impression that nobody important can die and everyone will be the hero. in the opening scenes of the show the guy's daughter is killed right in front of him. in the 2nd episode Tess, seen as one of the protagonists to this point, dies.

obviously some of the characters are going to survive. but thats not unique to TLOU. there are main characters in black summer who havent died in 2 seasons either

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i dont understand this take at all. even if you dont consider the games... a first time watcher of this wouldnt come away with the impression that nobody important can die and everyone will be the hero. in the opening scenes of the show the guy's daughter is killed right in front of him. in the 2nd episode Tess, seen as one of the protagonists to this point, dies.

obviously some of the characters are going to survive. but thats not unique to TLOU. there are main characters in black summer who havent died in 2 seasons either
    Yeah that's true. It's more just the general feeling of hopelessness I guess. Black Summer feels darker and more tense to me. I like the way it's shot, the character interactions, everything.

When I think about it, my favorite individual movie about a zombie apocalypse is 28 Days Later, and Black Summer reminds me of the style of 28DL.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 01-27-2023 at 12:37 AM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'm talking about the show, not the games. The games are amazing in ways a show never could be (I liked Part 2 more than most people), and the HBO series certainly isn't. It feels like exactly what it is, an adaptation of another medium. It's fine, probably as good as it can be, but it'll always feel like a cheap knockoff of the game, because it is.
    OK but my issue was with you saying a group of characters who you know in advance are going to survive to the end and be the heroes because they're the "stars of the show.", which is pretty clearly violated in the second game. And yeah I liked the second game even more than the first.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    OK but my issue was with you saying a group of characters who you know in advance are going to survive to the end and be the heroes because they're the "stars of the show.", which is pretty clearly violated in the second game. And yeah I liked the second game even more than the first.
    You're right. I was thinking about Part 1 in isolation, since I assume that's what the show is.

There's probably a cognitive bias from playing the game first, because now everything that happens in the show is just mimicking what I already experienced. That's why I think adaptations just can't be better than content made for cinema, because they'll always have that problem. When I see the actor playing Joel, I just see a guy trying to be like Joel but not quite living up to it. It's not his fault, but he just won't ever be as good as the original Joel. He doesn't quite have the same southern Texan vibe, in this case.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 01-27-2023 at 01:09 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    You're right. I was thinking about Part 1 in isolation, since I assume that's what the show is.

There's probably a cognitive bias from playing the game first, because now everything that happens in the show is just mimicking what I already experienced. That's why I think adaptations just can't be better than content made for cinema, because they'll always have that problem. When I see the actor playing Joel, I just see a guy trying to be like Joel but not quite living up to it. It's not his fault, but he just won't ever be as good as the original Joel. He doesn't quite have the same southern Texan vibe, in this case.
    pedro pascal was raised in texas

obviously as gamers who have an affinity for the game, there will always be nostalgia and preferring the original in some ways. but the purpose of the adaptation is in part to cater to the gamers, but also to expand the IP to a different audience. ie guy tries convincing his gf/wife that this game has a great story, but every time you try to get them to watch its just a 15 minute stealth combat sequence. now they can enjoy the same thing you did without having to be a gamer

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We knew it would be, but the show has officially been renewed for a second season.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    We knew it would be, but the show has officially been renewed for a second season.
    now i gotta make sure i play the second game before that season

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Nice. LoU2 is my favorite game of all time so I hope they do it real justice

I wonder if season 2 will be the 2nd game though. There is a time jump between the game of 5 years and there are plenty of flashbacks throughout the game. they could probably write a season about stuff happening between 1 and 2

Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    if they do S2 surrounding the events of the 2nd game though, s gonna be brutal as . Seraphite territory will have some nice gore

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    It's even better than the first IMO. Plus it triggers the incels.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

I wonder if season 2 will be the 2nd game though. There is a time jump between the game of 5 years and there are plenty of flashbacks throughout the game. they could probably write a season about stuff happening between 1 and 2
    They said they're only going to do stuff that was in the games. I was going to say they'd probably need to wait a couple of years for the actress playing Ellie to age a bit for the second season, but she's 19 already so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

They've already said that Part 2 will likely be covered in seasons 2 and 3. Craig Mazin doesn't want to cover the five year gap or write new material past Part 2. He wants to stick to the games. Though with Neil right there, that could always change. I assume Part 3 will happen, just not in that time frame.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They've (understandably) toned down the violence in the TV show, but they better ramp it back up for the next seasons. Part of what makes Part 2 so good is how ing brutal Ellie becomes, and the mental toll it takes on her.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    They've already said that Part 2 will likely be covered in seasons 2 and 3. Craig Mazin doesn't want to cover the five year gap or write new material past Part 2. He wants to stick to the games. Though with Neil right there, that could always change. I assume Part 3 will happen, just not in that time frame.
    Druckmann was making it sound like 3 only happens if they can come with as good a story as the first two. I'd be fine with the series ending where 2 finished if they can't come up with the story for another 9.5/10 game like the first two were.

Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Part 2 will cover s2 and 3 huh? interesting. i wonder how they will split that up. I always felt Santa Barbara could have been longer and Ellie could have gone through way more with the Rattlers because that faction's backstory wasnt explained much. maybe we'll get to see more of what Abby/Lev had to endure before Ellie arrives

Just thinking about how brutal it's going to be for people who never played the game. The invasion of the island...that's gonna be a real sight to behold on screen

Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Druckmann was making it sound like 3 only happens if they can come with as good a story as the first two. I'd be fine with the series ending where 2 finished if they can't come up with the story for another 9.5/10 game like the first two were.
    ND's story telling is really their strong point so they could make part 3 about an entirely different set of characters in another part of the world and it would probably be 9.5 game

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He's talking out of his ass. I don't see any way they don't release a third game (especially with the success of the show now). With Abby presumably rejoined with the Fireflies and Ellie in limbo, there's a lot of story left to tell there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    RIP

Actress Annie Wersching, who played Tess in ‘The Last of Us’ dies of cancer at age 45.

In the 2013 video game release of The Last of Us, she played the role of Tess. That role is played by Anna Torv in the show, but she will always be remembered as one of the alum. Diagnosed with cancer in 2020, she acted through it with roles as the very impressive Rosalind Dyer in The Rookie and Borg Queen in Star Trek: Picard.

https://www.msn.com/Annie-wersching-...dies-of-cancer

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That was the supposed best episode of the season? Kinda concerning

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    That was the supposed best episode of the season? Kinda concerning