Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    One thing I don't like about most zombie shows is, there's generally a group of characters who you know in advance are going to survive to the end and be the heroes because they're the "stars of the show." In Black Summer, everyone is fair game, anyone can die, and you don't know what the is gonna happen next. The acting and cinematography are top tier. Every character is flawed, nobody is a perfect hero, but you can feel empathy for all of their various cir stances and how they cross paths.

I've never played the game, but I'm two episodes into TLOU and two people that I thought were going to be primary characters have already died.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just wish we would've had some type of interaction between the characters. Even if it was completely different from the game - finding Bill after Frank's death and he gifts them the truck and then wastes away in a depressive state... whatever. There's something missing as it is. If you delete the entire flashback sequence, it's just Joel and Ellie conveniently finding a running truck. Not only that... why would tv-show-Tess tell Joel to take Ellie to Bill and Frank's, knowing that Bill is a shut-in and would never let Frank take Ellie anywhere?

All that said, I really liked the episode. Just a few tweaks would've made it gel better with the rest of the series imo.

I'm really happy to see the "He ain't even hurt" scene in next episode's trailer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just wish we would've had some type of interaction between the characters. Even if it was completely different from the game - finding Bill after Frank's death and he gifts them the truck and then wastes away in a depressive state... whatever. There's something missing as it is. If you delete the entire flashback sequence, it's just Joel and Ellie conveniently finding a running truck. Not only that... why would tv-show-Tess tell Joel to take Ellie to Bill and Frank's, knowing that Bill is a shut-in and would never let Frank take Ellie anywhere?

All that said, I really liked the episode. Just a few tweaks would've made it gel better with the rest of the series imo.

I'm really happy to see the "He ain't even hurt" scene in next episode's trailer.
    tbh thats pretty strong criticism. my guess is Tess knew that Frank could convince Bill. we already knew frank convinced bill to host joel/tess as guests against bill's wishes

its also not like they had a dozen options and just landed on bill/frank
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-30-2023 at 05:50 PM.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    I wonder how Frank knew what his terminal illness was with no doctors around and how they knew what pills and the correct dosage to manage the illness as well. I guess we're supposed to just believe they read some books and figured it out?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I wonder how Frank knew what his terminal illness was with no doctors around and how they knew what pills and the correct dosage to manage the illness as well. I guess we're supposed to just believe they read some books and figured it out?
    Frank seemed pretty competent treating Bill's gunshot; I wonder if that scene was included to hint at him maybe being an EMT or a nurse before the world went to .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    They could have made a series about Frank and Bill, probably would have been interesting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    one of my first critiques of Ep 3 was how little the main story progressed. after all that time, the only real end results were that they would up with a car (and talked a little bit, set the 'ground rules', etc).

though i did read somebody's comment that in the game, even after playing through all of Bill's town, going to the school, finding frank, etc... the only way the main story progressed after all that is... you wound up with a car

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    one of my first critiques of Ep 3 was how little the main story progressed. after all that time, the only real end results were that they would up with a car (and talked a little bit, set the 'ground rules', etc).

though i did read somebody's comment that in the game, even after playing through all of Bill's town, going to the school, finding frank, etc... the only way the main story progressed after all that is... you wound up with a car
    Seems that's the SOP for writing a series. Episodes 1, 2 awesome. Middle episodes are usually all fillers with the season finale being awesome

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Seems that's the SOP for writing a series. Episodes 1, 2 awesome. Middle episodes are usually all fillers with the season finale being awesome
    i thought Ep 3 was a great watch tbh. the main plot didnt progress too much, but it told a great self contained story. kinda like pine barrens of sopranos (extremely different in tone, obviously). pin barrens did next to nothing plot wise but was one of the GOAT episodes

Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    totally forgot about the preview of the next episode at the end of the credits

i'm guessing Melanie Lynskey is going to play the woman that is referenced in the Pittsburgh mission when the enemies are talking about how one survivor gave them a ton of trouble before getting sniped. interested to see how they are going to flesh that out. Hope they keep the Humvee with the corpse hood ornament

Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Frank seemed pretty competent treating Bill's gunshot; I wonder if that scene was included to hint at him maybe being an EMT or a nurse before the world went to .
    possibly. but i know some nurses and EMTs and dont think they would know jack about diagnosing someones terminal illness or how to treat it and his competence in treating gunshot wounds may be more of a byproduct of living in the post-apocalypse for a decade. we also dont get a good view other than him digging the bullet out initially since it just flashes forward to Frank in the wheelchair

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Just go ahead and give everyone involved in that episode all of the Emmys.

That was an all-timer, a perfect episode of television that will be talked about for 20 years. Best episode I've seen since the Marcia Clark episode of the OJ series. This show is running circles around everything else in the genre so far.
    Last edited by Adam Lambert; 02-01-2023 at 10:56 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I rewatched episode 3 and I liked it a lot better without any preconceived notions about what should be included from the game. It really is a great episode.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Finally caught up. That was a great episode and gives me hope that the rest of the series will be pretty rewarding and not just zombie .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Finally caught up. That was a great episode and gives me hope that the rest of the series will be pretty rewarding and not just zombie .
    people seem really mad they're not getting an hour of this once a week

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    people seem really mad they're not getting an hour of this once a week

I'd be out if it was just zombie . That being said, the zombie they do is really well done. But so far, the writing and thought that goes behind the story is pretty damn good.
    I never played the game so I can't relate from that side of things. But it's been a good watch through three episodes. The girl does get on my nerves a bit but whatever.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    possibly. but i know some nurses and EMTs and dont think they would know jack about diagnosing someones terminal illness or how to treat it and his competence in treating gunshot wounds may be more of a byproduct of living in the post-apocalypse for a decade. we also dont get a good view other than him digging the bullet out initially since it just flashes forward to Frank in the wheelchair
    It's possible they were only treating symptoms, not the disease. There are known treatments for symptoms of certain illnesses, plus there are books available. The episode covered a large time span in part of an episode. This is why I say these two's lives pre and post apocalypse would be interesting backstories.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I felt a little disappointed in episode 5 tbh. Nothing was bad, it was just short compared to the others and a lot of that time was dedicated to new characters I honestly don't care about. I guess we'll see how the next episode plays out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I felt a little disappointed in episode 5 tbh. Nothing was bad, it was just short compared to the others and a lot of that time was dedicated to new characters I honestly don't care about. I guess we'll see how the next episode plays out.
    yeah as a viewer and not as someone who has played the game, they kinda rushed us into some position where we're supposed to care about the Two and a Half Men girl and whoever the Henry is. but its pretty clear at this point that much like the game, the actual events of the world are merely vehicles to move joel/ellie's relationship further

Name
    Joseph Rao Kony
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    totally forgot about the preview of the next episode at the end of the credits

i'm guessing Melanie Lynskey is going to play the woman that is referenced in the Pittsburgh mission when the enemies are talking about how one survivor gave them a ton of trouble before getting sniped. interested to see how they are going to flesh that out. Hope they keep the Humvee with the corpse hood ornament
    man, i was way off. they didnt keep the corpse hood ornament either. ep was kinda meh

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    First episode that pretty meh. Hard to follow up on how great last week was.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    next episode comes out early on friday. they didnt want to compete with the superbowl

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was totally bored with this one. And why didn't they take more firepower from Bill and Frank's. He should be walking around with something better than a hunting rifle. And why did he leave the hunting rifle anyway?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I was totally bored with this one. And why didn't they take more firepower from Bill and Frank's. He should be walking around with something better than a hunting rifle. And why did he leave the hunting rifle anyway?
    presumably they took more stuff and it was in the bed of the pickup, but they didnt exactly have time to unpack

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    presumably they took more stuff and it was in the bed of the pickup, but they didnt exactly have time to unpack
    Yeah...I gave that consideration. But they had plenty of time for him to pick a different gun. He should have left their neighborhood with something different as his main weapon.
    And I still don't understand why he left it in the store. Not a huge deal. I still like the story.

Thread Information