Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Texas turning into a 3rd world country over an ice storm.

Conservative deregulation screwing us all.

exactly same problems as happened 10 years ago but nothing done because of muh profits and muh freedom

there will be a ton of fist pounding over everyone who screwed up again, then absolutely nothing done to fix the problems again.

Leopards Eating Faces Party in full effect.

And unfortunately people are going to die because of it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just had a 2 hour, 40 minute brownout, thanks GVEC and ERCOT.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    all the tweets from Texas politicians about California’s rolling blackouts are looking really stupid right about now. At least in California they’re rolling black outs that can be planned for in advance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all the tweets from Texas politicians about California’s rolling blackouts are looking really stupid right about now. At least in California they’re rolling black outs that can be planned for in advance.
    Well I only had four rolling blackouts overnight. But instead of being for 45 minutes they were for 1-3 hours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't ing believe temperatures in the 20s is a statewide emergency. I live in Texas, not ing Tijuana.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    these aren’t even “rolling” just blackouts that last for days for some people. One TX bubba was tailgating me in his truck, tried to zoom past me, but then skidded into the intersection because he could stop at the red light. Another one sped off as soon as the light turn green after revving his engine and all that. The dumbass nearly spun out onto the curb himself before barely recovering. We’re making Sub-Saharan Africa look like Italy during the Renaissance Era tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if we had more plants then we could have avoided this. That's what they'll say
    They'd be right, the problem we're having right now is not enough capacity. ERCOT doesn't do capital investment and apparently the right incentives aren't there for private companies to do it either.

ERCOT's mission to provide the least expensive energy to Texans hasn't provided the capacity needed to keep people alive in extreme weather.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid power overnight. Water back. Wi-Fi back.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Solid power overnight. Water back. Wi-Fi back.
    And those Lone Stars are ice cold

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    178, 000 people live in Abilene

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    178, 000 people live in Abilene

Must be a typo. Is this Abilene, Nigeria? Certainly that wouldn't happen to the great ol state of Texas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some commercial buildings have data centers that people remote in to. I couldn't work today as an engineer.
    Texas “getting to work” is a stupid priority right now.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Bossman here. Working remote from Florida but have a company I manage in TX. Workers are whining about icy streets and not having power. Told them they better get to the office or I'm canning their a$$. The show must go on

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Texas “getting to work” is a stupid priority right now.
    Bossman here. Working remote from Florida but have a company I manage in TX. Workers are whining about icy streets and not having power. Told them they better get to the office or I'm canning their a$$. The show must go on.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Texas, where 25GW of wind capacity feeds into the state's main power grid, wind can sometimes produce as much as 60% of total electricity. But because wind power tends to ebb in the winter, the grid operator typically assumes that the turbines will generate only about 19% to 43% of their maximum output.
    Even so, wind generation has actually exceeded the grid operator's daily forecast through the weekend. Solar power has been slightly below forecast on Monday.

"The performance of wind and solar is way down the list among the smaller factors in the disaster that we're facing," Daniel Cohan, associate professor of environmental engineering at Rice University, said in an interview. Blaming renewables for the blackouts "is really a red herring".

That does not mean that frozen turbines are playing no role in the energy crisis, which the grid operator has highlighted. Cody Moore, head of gas and power trading at Mercuria Energy America, noted that wind generation this week is down markedly this week from last week, possibly indicating that turbines are automatically shutting down due to ice.

"We are seeing wind generation down 60% week-over-week," said Matt Hoza, manager of energy analysis at BTU Analytics. But wind and solar that are operating "are in a very advantageous position" as power prices have topped US$1,000 a megawatt-hour.

The situation raises questions about the grid's preparedness. "Grid demand is so much higher than we've really built the system for in the wintertime," said Joshua Rhodes, a research associate at the University of Texas at Austin.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 02-16-2021 at 11:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

brb looking for my copy of votingrepublican.jpeg

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm living in an apartment on a short-term basis because we're between houses, and that place is beyond ed. Was getting electricity for maybe 5 minutes an hour up until yesterday evening. Now we've been without power for >12 hours. We haven't had water for two days. Yesterday I saw multiple water lines (completely uninsulated) to several buildings that had burst and were spewing water into the street. The fire alarms were tripped this morning and sprinklers were spraying water in some of the units. The fire dept won't touch anything, saying it's the apartment's responsibility to troubleshoot their own . The apartment won't answer the phones or respond to any repair requests. Last night they sent out an automated email saying to keep our heat on and faucets dripping to avoid pipes busting. It also went on to say that any unreported damage from the storm will be the financial responsibility of the tenants.

We packed a bag and are currently at my parent's house, who have not lost power at all and have their own well for water.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

brb looking for my copy of votingrepublican.jpeg
    I've seen this going around but it's pretty misleading.

For one thing, their drawings of the boundaries aren't accurate... HP goes several blocks west of the Tollway where several of those outages are showing up, and those are some of the wealthiest parts of the area. And the outages also haven't appeared to spare Preston Hollow which is where the real gazillionaires live.

What would be interesting to understand is how much power is going to business areas at the expense of residential. I live near Greenville Ave and our area hasn't lost power at all. But out in the neighborhoods in Lakewood, pretty much everyone we know has lost power for a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any rich enough company has pretty giant generators... can't say that's what's going on there, but figured it's important to point out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houses and apartments on the same grid block as "essential" hospitals are safe from power outages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If power generators did this to avoid paying spot prices for oil and gas, anyone who knew and didn’t resign on the spot should go to prison.

Last edited by Winehole23; 02-16-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Thread Information