Page 57 of 80 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1977
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas senators blast regulator for power grid winterization loophole lawmakers wrote into law

The law says the state's natural gas system won't be required to prepare for extreme weather until 2022 at the earliest and allows companies to opt out of weatherization requirements.

In a committee hearing Tuesday, Texas senators were furious that

natural gas companies won’t have to better prepare their facilities for extreme weather before this winter and

rebuked the Texas Railroad Commission,

which regulates the state’s massive oil and gas industry, for not fixing the problem sooner.

“Wait a minute,” state Sen. Robert Nichols, R-Jacksonville, told Wei Wang, executive director of the Railroad Commission. “You haven’t done it yet?”

But the “loophole” that lawmakers spent the hearing condemning and

the slow timetable for winterizing the state power grid were part of legislation they approved during the regular legislative session in the spring.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09...grid-loophole/

maybe somebody passed a bill and didn't read it? still don't know what's in it?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hole Texas grid is not part of national grid for FreeDumb to deregulate the grid to enrich campaign donors, it up, 1000s die, no accountability, punishment, on enrichment of the perpetrators, Texas pays $28B more for juice.

With AGW destabilizing the polar vortex more often, extreme Arctic cold down to TX will happen again, probably sooner rather than later.
    that is interesting. AGW seems like a good thing if it makes Texas and Florida cooler and places like Minnesota and Wisconsin have milder winters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the blackout providers went offline because they failed to fill out paperwork declaring themselves critical infrastructure.

During the regular session of the Texas Lege, Republicans wrote them a loophole that allows them to skip winterization if they decline to to fill out the same form again.

Senate Bill 3, which Abbott signed into law, calls for creating a committee to map out the state’s energy infrastructure by September 2022, then gives the Railroad Commission 180 days to finalize its weatherization rules.

On Tuesday, lawmakers on the Senate Business and Commerce Committee were frustrated that the new law allows natural gas companies to opt out of weatherization requirements if they don’t voluntarily declare themselves to be “critical infrastructure” with the state.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09...grid-loophole/

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that is interesting. AGW seems like a good thing if it makes Texas and Florida cooler and places like Minnesota and Wisconsin have milder winters.
    Such norms would mean almost total ecological collapse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "rate relief"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no-brainer, if it's not killed in committee it'll probably die in Calendars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    three special sessions, still no winterization mandate and the loophole allowing energy companies to get out of it for 150 bucks is still there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buc-ee's CEO "Beaver" Aplin is now on the ERCOT board

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dems haven't held a statewide office in Texas in nearly thirty years, am I supposed to both sides this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It won't. It has already increased the average number of 100 degree days in a year, and will get worse, as will droughts and fires. The cold snaps in teh winter will become more common as the jet stream destabilizes.

Poking bears has consequences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and the whole mess gets teed up again, with the Texas Lege again ignoring energy reform in favor of "emergency" anti-abortion, anti-voting, anti-trans and anti-CRT laws.

https://www.kut.org/energy-environme...uary-blackouts
    It's almost as if not killing people was less important than grifting at tax/rate-payer expense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It won't. It has already increased the average number of 100 degree days in a year, and will get worse, as will droughts and fires. The cold snaps in teh winter will become more common as the jet stream destabilizes.

Poking bears has consequences.
    Relation to Ten Bears?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relation to Ten Bears?
    Reference to unbridled emission of CO2, and the unintended consequences of forcing rapid climate change.

I have argued for years that we have no idea how bad it is going to be, and is therefore very inherently risky.

Do not poke sleeping bears with a stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas lege is all set to kick the can again

Six months and three special legislative sessions later, Texas did bupkis.

(That's yiddish for goat droppings, "something of no worth")

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (But they did saddle ratepayers with the costs, a very valuable consideration to energy providers.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans run against "bad government" and prove their bona fides by governing badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans run against "bad government" and prove their bona fides by governing badly.
    Cry more

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you got that backwards

Repugs don't care about actually governing.

"Government is the problem"

Disaffected people will agree with cutting taxes to starve "bad" government, so Repugs deliver bad govt For The People while spending the taxes on tax cuts and oligarcy's corporate welfare.

Repugs obstruct any government, esp when it's wonderful For The People, to deny any credit for good, beneficent govt to Dems

The deluded, ignorant suckers in Trash's 74M voters will fare much worse after Capitalist/Christian fascism dominates an Orban-ized USA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Water and electricity failing when we need them the most is an abysmal failure of governance and a legit reason to cry, tbh.

Texas didn't prepare for a foreseen contingency. Reliability is the second word in ERCOT, but Republicans have been too cozy with providers to make it happen. The results were deadly statewide -- ~700 people died due to energy companies' greed and Republican incompetence.

Then they pulled the energy companies out of the fire and laid the costs on ratepayers.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 10-23-2021 at 11:29 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This hasn't been such a great thread for you, DMC.

Consistently cranky, out-of-touch takes and missed dunks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol DMC's meek tolerance of obvious Republican failure

"It's a historic winter storm, some issues expected."

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC's just another Trump . They've all completely sold out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC's just another Trump . They've all completely sold out.
    tries to hide his , but few are fooled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Water and electricity failing when we need them the most is an abysmal failure of governance and a legit reason to cry, tbh.

Texas didn't prepare for a foreseen contingency. Reliability is the second word in ERCOT, but Republicans have been too cozy with providers to make it happen. The results were deadly statewide -- ~700 people died due to energy companies' greed and Republican incompetence.

Then they pulled the energy companies out of the fire and laid the costs on ratepayers.
    Did you buy a generator and acquire the resources to survive should it happen again? Or did you instead just increase your online ing about it?

Blah blah blah republicans blah blah blah

Republicans didn't tell you to be unprepared.

If you ever have a flat tire, are you going to open your laptop and complain online about it instead of having a spare?

Thread Information