Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coal-pocalypse

'More Than Your Mortgage':

Coal Fuels Skyrocketing Electric Cost In West Virginia

"Coal has become more expensive than renewables or natural gas,

the prices of which have fallen rapidly — and in West Virginia, the ratepayers are footing the bill,"

"With three of the state's major coal-fired power plants in need of hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of mandatory upgrades,

costs for ratepayers like Chase will continue to go up.

Coal may be a dying industry in the U.S.,

but Joe Manchin, a key Democratic swing vote in the Senate,

isn't interested in hastening its demise."

neighboring states "that were once heavily reliant on coal are moving away from it," citing Pennsylvania and Ohio as two examples of states that have

greatly reduced their reliance on coal and become more reliant on natural gas and nuclear power.

"These plants, even if they're kept open, are going to be operating at such a low level there will be far fewer jobs and far less coal consumed than it is now,"

https://www.nationalmemo.com/west-virginia-coal

Manchin make $500K / year from the coal industry. Manchin's personal wealth means no help for his voters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really an answer, chicken .

But Republicans sure made it easy for the people paying them to everybody through gaming the natgas and electricity supply.

Why won't you hold them accountable for that?

Are you still going to vote for them? I won't.
    Still going to? Nice narrative you have there, Smedley.

If I was as hard up as you appear to be for some Dem control, I'd not be living in a historically red state, you chicken mother er

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^ "Love it or Leave It"

(DMC Bingo jpg.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (Streak of never passing a negative remark about "the right" remains intact.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Texas, practically alone among the 50 US states, can't be relied on to keep the lights on during a cold snap, we're stocking up on propane space heaters and firewood. We already have a camp stove and jerry cans for water. Much as I hate storing gasoline at my house, it might be a good idea in case we somehow get caught short of fuel for our cars.

Y'all?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Texas oil & gas is needed right now."

What is he waiting for?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scary Halloween costume

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scary Halloween costume

I cannot wait to vote for this guy again. heh. Judge Becerra is pretty sharp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone in Texas should get vaccinated, with winter coming, as there is no guarantee that ventilators will have the electricity they need to operate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone in Texas should get vaccinated, with winter coming, as there is no guarantee that ventilators will have the electricity they need to operate.
    I'm all for vaccination, but (Dem) urban areas are mostly vaccinated. And probably the children will be, too by Feb.

It's the Repug, failed, toxic rural, culture that isn't vaccinated.

41 TX rural hospitals are close to failure. Were they in the Abbutt's legislative priorities?

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm all for vaccination, but (Dem) urban areas are mostly vaccinated. And probably the children will be, too by Feb.

It's the Repug, failed, toxic rural, culture that isn't vaccinated.

41 TX rural hospitals are close to failure. Were they in the Abbutt's legislative priorities?

Boiled down:::

President Trump: 400k dead AmericansPERIOD
    MF Biden: 356k dead Americans. & counting, son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FERC/NERC release final report. Texas will ignore it, and this will happen all over again in a few years.

Investigators determined that most of the power outages could have been avoided if power plants and wind turbines had been better protected against the cold and ice. In fact, the report found protecting key equipment such as sensing lines, transmitters at traditional power plants, along with wind turbine blades, would have reduced the number of megawatts of power lost during the storm by a whopping 67 percent.

• Eighty-one percent of freeze-related generating unit outages occurred at temperatures above the units' stated ambient design temperature.
    • Eighty-seven percent of unplanned generation outages were due to fuel issues related to natural gas.
    • Natural gas fuel supply issues were caused by natural gas production declines.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...s-16628257.php

https://www.ferc.gov/media/february-...-ferc-nerc-and

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gas providers couldn't afford disaster pricing, so the Texas lege is letting them take the shortfall from the Texans left short of power during winter storm Uri.

By all rights, windfall profits should be clawed back from the producers who let us down.

Texas gas bills may increase, companies allowed to make up $3.4B winter storm losses

Last edited by Winehole23; 11-19-2021 at 12:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    energy companies own the regulators

FERC’s report reveals how railroad commissioners refused to hold Texas natural gas companies to even minimal resiliency standards. For example, 43 percent of natural gas production declines were caused by freezing temperatures and weather because operators did not insulate the well equipment properly.

Almost 90 percent of outages were due to a lack of natural gas availability to powerplants. More than 80 percent of the facilities failed at temperatures higher than the stated minimum operating specifications.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...y-16632313.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds find true cause of the February blackouts, Texas officials deflect blame

After my column pointing out UT’s findings and the Big Lie about the cause of the blackouts,

Christian wrote an op-ed railing against me by name while defending gas suppliers.

One need only check his campaign finance records to understand why.

More than two-thirds of the campaign donations to the sitting commissioners have come from oil and gas allies.

All three commissioners trade oil and gas stocks, even while they make rulings about complaints against those companies,

“Oil and gas money accounted for 69 percent of all the campaign money raised by Commissioners Wayne Christian and Crad ,” the watchdog group reported, based on public records.

Christian’s six-year term is up next year, and he’s running for reelection. This is not a good time for him to bite the hand that feeds him.

https://www.expressnews.com/business...y-16632313.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw, Bouton, did you happen to see the two posts before your two posts? Interested in what you think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott lied. We're still ed if it happens again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doug Lewin parses the ERCOT report, which he describes as a "political do ent":

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The calculations for severe risk this winter show that it wouldn't take a storm as bad as the one in February, when hundreds of people died, to take the grid offline.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2021/11...ter-estimates/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the headline

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    E.g., CC, DMC and SnakeBoy in this thread.

Mindlessly parroting the WSJ and state regulators captured by the oil and gas biz.

Nine months ago, Wayne Christian was standing in his dark house, wearing three layers of coats to keep warm, one of millions of Texans who lost power from a ferocious winter storm. On the morning of Feb. 17, Christian, the chairman of the Railroad Commission of Texas, which regulates the state’s natural gas industry, phoned into the agency’s emergency Zoom meeting to test drive a statement that could spin the crisis in favor of oil and gas.

“The takeaway from this storm should not be the future of fossil fuels, but the dangers of subsidizing and mandating intermittent, unreliable forms of energy at the expense of using our resources to make the grid more resilient to extreme weather events,” Christian said.

It took less than 24 hours for the statement to become gospel — and for wind and solar, which played bit parts in the winter storm tragedy, to be cast as arch villains.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...n-16653772.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did y'all hear about the Amazon Web Services outage on the east coast the day before last?

Possible implications for the next snowpocolypse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information