Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1977
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets bet on that, WineHo. You are just to easy.
    it's a damn fact.

damn, you're dumb.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a damn fact.

damn, you're dumb.
    LMAO. You still havent proven .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    read and learn, or stand pat on idiocy. I don't care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC, SnakeBoy and DMC too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Reforms, the Texas Electricity Grid Is Still Vulnerable to Cold

Gov. Greg Abbott has promised the lights will stay on this winter. But many of the problems that led to the power system failure in February remain.

Donna Boatright lives alone now in the modest one-story house where her husband, Benny, froze to death.

The depth of the catastrophe, which left 4.5 million customers without power and caused as much as $130 billion in economic damages,

But 10 months later, the state’s energy grid remains vulnerable, and the ability to keep the lights on is a central political issue in the state.

many of the problems that pushed the Texas electrical grid to the brink of a total collapse still remain,

according to interviews with two dozen industry experts, elected leaders and current and former state officials.

Last month, ERCOT conducted a less-than-reassuring assessment looking at the strength of the grid going into the winter.

The state’s grid would not be able to keep up with demand even under winter conditions less severe than what happened in February, the assessment found.

it did not include data from last winter, and it did not consider what would happen if future winter storms were worse than last February’s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/23/us/texas-electricity-grid-winter.html

As always, Texas is piled high in corrupt B U L L S H I T, typical one-party state where there is no political accountability

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

whose troll are you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas’s natural gas industry had almost a year to prepare for last weekend’s cold blast and avoid another loss of production. But yet again, instruments froze, output plunged and companies spewed a miasma of pollutants into the atmosphere in a bid to keep operations stable.

Though Saturday’s cold front wasn’t as severe as the February storm that killed hundreds and knocked out power to much of the state, nearly 1 billion cubic feet of gas was burned or wasted due to weather-related shutdowns, according to filings with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. At the same time, production plunged to the lowest level since the last freeze, BloombergNEF data shows.

That has environmental implications. Natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a potent greenhouse gas. And the roughly dozen gas facilities that reported problems with the cold also emitted a combined 85 tons of sulfur dioxide and 11 tons of carbon monoxide, among other pollutants, according to a Bloomberg review of environmental filings.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pared-for-cold

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the natural gas released due to operating issues this weekend came from plants owned by Pioneer Natural Resources Co. Other facilities that reported operating issues and related emissions were owned by Occidental Petroleum Corp., Targa Resources Corp. and DCP Midstream. None of the companies immediately replied to requests for comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a new state law only requires “critical” infrastructure to get weatherized - but for a $150 application fee, energy providers can opt out.

“If they invoke the language in SB3 that says I'm not prepared to operate during a weather emergency, then they're not designated as a critical for the purpose that they do not receive electricity during a weather emergency,” Wang explained.
    https://news4sanantonio.com/news/tro...zation-for-150

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the electricity billionaires corrupt bag Repugs towards the suffering and death of Texans

Gas sellers made $11 billion while millions of Texans were without power in February

https://fortune.com/2021/07/09/gas-s...nter-blackout/

In years after electricity dereg, Texans paid $28B more for electricity that regulated electricity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to estimates from Bloomberg and other industry analysis, Texas gas production dropped by around 20% as the cold front arrived last weekend. It was the largest decrease in supply since February’s winter storm. The reason, according to do ents filed with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, includes equipment breaking down in the freezing temperatures.
    https://www.kut.org/energy-environme...e-for-the-grid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry, they promise to start working on solutions later this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's all buy generators. ing dimwit.
    you cannot use one on your apartment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you cannot use one on your apartment
    So much for diy solutions to systemic problems, tbh.

If there were potholes on the highway you'd be urging us to fix them ourselves.

Yet more dog libertarianism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry, they promise to start working on solutions later this year.
    Working on solutions on the thorny problem of how to fleece and kill customers and get away with it year after year. That can be difficult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How regulators screwed Texans and stuffed the pockets of sellers.

Freeze coming this week, BTW.

Monday, February 15. In the hours after the blackouts, ERCOT tried to shore up electricity reserves to stabilize the grid. The computer system that runs the market, though, interpreted this as an oversupply (in the middle of blackouts!) and dropped prices. When ERCOT and the PUC realized what was happening, officials decided to bypass the market and, on Monday evening, manually set prices at the maximum of $9,000 per megawatt hour. (By comparison, the average hourly price in 2020 was $25.73.) For fear that restarting the market and letting prices fluctuate in the midst of blackouts would lead to instability, officials kept prices at that artificially inflated level until Friday.

As a result, Texans spent an exorbitant amount on electricity during a week in which most of them couldn’t get much electricity. For the entirety of 2020, Texans paid $9.8 billion to keep the juice flowing. On February 16 alone, they spent roughly $10.3 billion. Costs for the month of February totaled more than $50 billion.

The bill for this pricing disaster is coming due. The Legislature approved the issuance of what will likely end up being about $5 to $6 billion in bonds to pay back some of these costs. That form of borrowing creates an obligation of about $200 for every adult and child in Texas.

Of the 2,500 participants in the ERCOT market—power plant owners, electricity marketers, electric cooperatives, creditors, and traders—many are privately held and don’t disclose their profits and losses. But some of the big shareholder-owned electricity generators were stuck with major losses because, while electricity prices were astronomical, natural gas prices were even higher.

As a result, anyone who had natural gas to sell came away a winner. Large Dallas-based pipeline owner Energy Transfer posted a net profit of $3.29 billion for the first three months of 2021; it had never posted even a $1 billion quarterly margin before. The company chalked up its profits to preparation—it had forked over the money to winterize parts of its facilities, so they remained up and running during the storm. Kinder Morgan made $1.41 billion, its best quarter ever. British oil giant BP, which supplies more gas in the U.S. than any other company, was coy. “It was a very exceptional quarter in gas trading,” CEO Bernard Looney told Bloomberg, which pointed to an estimate suggesting that the firm reaped $1 billion during that stretch. Gas producer Comstock Resources president Roland Burns put it much more plainly, saying it was “like hitting the jackpot.”
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...ilure-warm-up/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for the heads up, Kinder-Morgan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ERCOT is already shivering

As new ERCOT board member John Swainson told PUC Chair Peter Lake Tuesday, "We’re trying to ensure our generators can provide power, but if no one’s providing gas to our power plants, that’s a weak link."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should we be reassured by the reassurance? Instance of moral luck, it would seem.

If all turns out well -- as it probably will -- the reassurance will have been reassuring.

https://www.chron.com/politics/artic...s-16787736.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Electrical grid really improved? who believes ERCOT? why would they NOT lie about reliability?

100s dead, nobody punished.

The URI primary problem was absence of gas delivery, due the gas companies not weatherizing as warned10 years earlier,

BUT

... the gas companies banked $10B+ "disaster capital" from the disaster they caused.

CPS Energy raising rates 3.48%+ for the indefinite future to pay for their buying disaster-priced gas.

Capitalism for Capitalists-only S America yet again.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-19-2022 at 06:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for the heads up, Kinder-Morgan

wonder what other producers are doing. hopefully it won't be cold enough for long enough to freeze off their wellheads this time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wonder what other producers are doing. hopefully it won't be cold enough for long enough to freeze off their wellheads this time.
    probably none of the TX gas network has been weatherized.

Gas people made $11B during URI, why kill the golden goose?

tiest possible product for highest possible price, it's the Capitalists' way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much for diy solutions to systemic problems, tbh.

If there were potholes on the highway you'd be urging us to fix them ourselves.

Yet more dog libertarianism.
    If you were home and your power went out again for a few days, I'm sure the female in the house would greatly admire your resistance to toxic masculinity fueled desire to be industrious by actually prepping for the possibility, as you instead use the last bit of your backup battery (assuming you'd even go that far) to post on ST about the injustices of ERCOT and the power grid failures complete with graphs and necro'd threads from 2005.

Thread Information