Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    goliath
    Take this for what its worth, but I had lunch today with a friend/co-worker whose father-in-law is a minority owner of the Spurs. This is what he told me:

1. Kidd is a done deal. It was termed as a "lock". Its been considered close to a done deal since the All-Star break. Both sides have made it known for a long time that they were each others clear first choice through an intermediary (ie Tim). Said both sides have been locked onto each other for a long, long time. Spurs would be completely shocked and stunned if he ended up not coming.

2. Jo was more of a contintengency plan than anything. Never really interested in him as a legitimate option (mainly b/c of Kidd)

3. $ figure still hasnt been set. He said Kidd is agreeable to taking less money to sign a legit big. I asked him about the 9.5 mil reported on SR. He said he didnt know the exact figures talked about, but from what he has heard he wouldnt be surprised. Alot depends on who they can sign and for how much. If they need Kidd to take 10.5 to clear room to sign PJ or ZO he will, or 9.5, ect, ect

Well, take this info for what its worth. All I can personally confirm is that he is related to a minority owner so he should know what hes talking about.

Oh...by the way....no his name is not Dusty

Archie
    Hope so.

timvp
    Kidd taking less to open up room for PJ Brown or Zo would make this a very successful offseason.

But FA's seeking the MAX always get the MAX.

KoriEllis
    Thanks for the info. It's always great to have a little more insight and perspective.

But I know for a fact that some of the info in this post is incorrect.

I am not saying that Kidd isn't coming. But there is some incorrect info here.

spurster
    Interesting. I wonder whether TD would be willing to take a little less, too.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    yeah, that sounds too good to be true...but thanks for reporting it...

Archie
    IMO the Spurs shouldn't ask Kidd to take less outright...it's only if they lay out the cap situation and Kidd asks what he can do to help do they talk about that. Right now NJ is offering less than they can so the Spurs shouldn't think they can offer less outright too.

MI21
    Thanks for the info. It's always great to have a little more insight and perspective.

But I know for a fact that some of the info in this post is incorrect.
    Tell us why it is wrong then?

Dont be a infohog!

2pac
    I would love it if Kidd would take a couple million less.

Getting him without anyone decent in the middle would be miserable. If he took a ~2.5-3 million paycut, we could sign a PJ Brown or Olowakandi.

If you sign Kidd, Speedy is toast, and who cares?

If you sign Kidd, do you go over the cap to resign Jackson?

Will we ovver Kidd the full 6 years? I dont think his play will merit whatever he will be paid in 6 years, which would give us a terrible contract problem.

Whottt
    Hopefully he will let us trade his assssssss to GS in 2 years.

goliath
    He made it sound like that the $$$ has not been set yet. It was more like let us go talk to others (PJ/ZO, ect) and see what we can do. Then they'd go back to him and say we talked to Zo and if you agree to 10 instead of 12.5 we can get him, what do you say?

I didnt get the impression that Kidd had agreed to take less just that he was open to the idea and the Spurs were going to see what they could do.

50 Cent
    Its been considered close to a done deal since the All-Star break. Both sides have made it known for a long time that they were each others clear first choice through an intermediary (ie Tim). Said both sides have been locked onto each other for a long, long time. Spurs would be completely shocked and stunned if he ended up not coming.
    Kori, maybe this is what you know to be incorrect, because I certainly do. Kidd wasn't and never has been the Spurs #1 choice.

Archie
    Don't be so sure, 50. Who did Pop fly to meet for dinner when the free agency period started?

Thank you.

Whottt
    Yeah but do you expect them to say that to Jason Kidd ?

I think Kidd was their top choice before we won an NBA le.

50 Cent
    I think Kidd was their top choice before we won an NBA le.
    Nope, try again. He plays on the west coast.

Archie
    If he was unrestricted, sure. But he's not so Pop flew to NJ. End of discussion.

Spurminator
    I heard Kidd and Duncan are just ing with us, and they're both going to sign with Miami.

goliath

I would guess your talking about Brand. He may have been ideally there 1st choice in a perfect world, but the Spurs had to have known it was likely a pipe dream to get him, with him being a RFA.

I would think that when you take the player along with the likelyhood of us getting him, Kidd was, is and has been #1.

50 Cent
    Fine, believe what you want. The Spurs ownership group's #1 option this offseason has been a big man. I'm not saying that we aren't getting Kidd - nobody at this point in the negotiations really knows what is going on. I'm just saying he isn't/wasn't their #1 option.

Archie
    He's effectively their #1 with Brand being a RFA.

Ghost Writer
    This is encouraging.

It sucks that Payton will take $4.5 to play in LA and Malone will take $1.5 to play with Payton in LA, yet we have to hope Kidd will take $12 million and Brwon will take $4 million to play for us.

Ain't that a b1tch?

Archie
    It'll be a for LA if the Spurs add those two after the Lakers commit to a 35 year old and a 40 year old for the next 3 or 4 seasons or whatever.

Ghost Writer
    At the price they are paying for those two, I'd sign Payton and Malone in a heartbeat. You would, too, Mr. Plan D.

Archie
    Look at their payroll. They'll be bumping up against the lux tax threshold with that. They've shot their load. That's the cast they are going with until O'Neal leaves and the team rebuilds around Bryant.

Ghost Writer
    So what?

Shaq and Kobe won three le with Fisher, Fox and Horry for krissakes!

Thread Information