Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    We upgraded vehicles almost 2 years ago when our son was born as well. My wife went a Q5 which was an upgrade over her Accord but we're both tall and with the carseat being rear faced, the passenger seat is uncomfortable for long drives. In hindsight I wish we'd get something bigger. I like the Denali and Traverse so I'll definitely be looking into one of those if we have another kid in the next year.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I wish we'd get something bigger.
    Bend over, I'll ing give you something bigger.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yay I can finally tell someone about my new car! I’ve been driving a 2018 Toyota Avalon by default; when my SO was having knee replacements/rehab he needed a vehicle he could get into without having to stop and walk off the pain every 30 min (he is 6’4”). We just went around to dealerships and sat in vehicles until he found one with the best leg room and ended up with the Avalon. It’s a very nice car, fully loaded, very comfy and drives smoooooth, but I’ve been eyeing the smaller SUVs as a replacement because now I have a car seat and stroller to accommodate.

Just from eyeballing cars in traffic I was drawn to the RAV4 size and pretty much decided that’s what I would look at first. Problem was there were tons of LE’s but most of the XLEs were under some recall and not able to be sold. My son beat me to the punch and bought his wife the only XLE Premium avail at our dealer! That gave me the opportunity to scrutinize the vehicle in and out, deciding that the Limited would probably get it equipped as I wanted. Not many Limiteds available and the ones they had were upwards of 33k.

The RAV is a great utilitarian vehicle but the road noise, and over 33k, I figured I could probably invest a few $k more and get some luxury too. I decided to look at a the RAV4 sized Lexus NX 300. Man, it was love at first sight It has every option (heated back seats!!). I just have not seen another car that attracts me, the styling is beautiful and the ride is sooo smooth and quiet. I’m totally in love with it. Problem is it was delivered to my garage 12 days ago and I’ve only been out in it once lol. I hope I love actually using it as much as I love just sitting in it in the garage
    I don't get the love for heated seats. I've had them in my last 3 vehicles and rarely used them. On the other hand, the one that had cooling seats...I used it all the time. I wish that was a more common option.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't get the love for heated seats. I've had them in my last 3 vehicles and rarely used them. On the other hand, the one that had cooling seats...I used it all the time. I wish that was a more common option.
    I suppose you don’t wear many dresses while driving lol

I don’t really care about back seat heaters, prob no one will ever sit back there, I added it as an example of the kind of over the top options my vehicle comes with. But I’ve had heated/cooled driver’s seats in every vehicle since about 2000 and I use both features quite frequently.
    Last edited by mrsmaalox; 02-19-2021 at 01:02 PM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My dad's truck has lumbar and upper hammy massage, that is great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My dad's truck has lumbar and upper hammy massage, that is great.
    Word. The car I had with the cooling seats (2007 Avalanche) had the lumbar controls (no hammy massage). I'd set them so it almost felt like there was a fist in my lower back (bend over...etc.). It was great for longer drives.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I don’t really care about back seat heaters, prob no one will ever sit back there, I added it as an example of the kind of over the top options my vehicle comes with. But I’ve had heated/cooled driver’s seats in every vehicle since about 2000 and I use both features quite frequently.
    You're right. Due to my job, I'm almost always in a smart pantsuit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yay I can finally tell someone about my new car! I’ve been driving a 2018 Toyota Avalon by default; when my SO was having knee replacements/rehab he needed a vehicle he could get into without having to stop and walk off the pain every 30 min (he is 6’4”). We just went around to dealerships and sat in vehicles until he found one with the best leg room and ended up with the Avalon. It’s a very nice car, fully loaded, very comfy and drives smoooooth, but I’ve been eyeing the smaller SUVs as a replacement because now I have a car seat and stroller to accommodate.

Just from eyeballing cars in traffic I was drawn to the RAV4 size and pretty much decided that’s what I would look at first. Problem was there were tons of LE’s but most of the XLEs were under some recall and not able to be sold. My son beat me to the punch and bought his wife the only XLE Premium avail at our dealer! That gave me the opportunity to scrutinize the vehicle in and out, deciding that the Limited would probably get it equipped as I wanted. Not many Limiteds available and the ones they had were upwards of 33k.

The RAV is a great utilitarian vehicle but the road noise, and over 33k, I figured I could probably invest a few $k more and get some luxury too. I decided to look at a the RAV4 sized Lexus NX 300. Man, it was love at first sight It has every option (heated back seats!!). I just have not seen another car that attracts me, the styling is beautiful and the ride is sooo smooth and quiet. I’m totally in love with it. Problem is it was delivered to my garage 12 days ago and I’ve only been out in it once lol. I hope I love actually using it as much as I love just sitting in it in the garage
    heated back seats are pretty nifty, you dont see that all the time.

and yeah, cars like the RAV-4, CR-V, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Santa Fe and Forester are not going to give you the great luxury feel of isolating you from the road. you'll feel the ride a bit, and you'll get some road noise. you can still line those up with frills and gizmos, but it's not going to be a cruise liner. thats also why they're on the more economic side... but with the RAV4, CRV, Forester, etc, you also know its just generally a solid vehicle that's not going to be a headache.

the NX isn't old enough of a model to know how long their life cycle is, but their values hold up pretty well going back to 2014/2015 so its promising. on the flipside of the luxury/feel of it, you're getting less fuel economy (unless you spring for the hybrid), less cargo space as well. but thats a solid purchase imo

theres usually a give or take with these things. sounds like the NX is what you were looking for

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    if your interior is leather, heating/cooling seats are awesome imo.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    God, had a load of cars since we moved here.

In '11 it was 2010 Camaro 2 SS, 2011 Charger, 2007 Mustang.

'15 It was a really nice 14 Chevy Captiva and 2015 Elantra. We started getting old here.

We're back at 3 cars again. 2007 Jeep Rubicon, 2018 Ford Fusion (really, really love this car for some reason) and a 2019 Jeep Compass. Between all three, we don't even have over 60k miles combined. I can't go back to having buckets with high miles, mechanic bills balance out payments.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I bought a 2012 CR-V in 2014 and 165K miles later it drives like a charm. Can't speak to the kid piece.

We also have a 2012 Civic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Honestly my only complaint about the CR-V is that so many other people have the exact same model and color, so I've approached the wrong car in the parking lot more times than I can count.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

One of my ex gf's never wore anything under her dress, unless it was that time of the month tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    God, had a load of cars since we moved here.

In '11 it was 2010 Camaro 2 SS, 2011 Charger, 2007 Mustang.

'15 It was a really nice 14 Chevy Captiva and 2015 Elantra. We started getting old here.

We're back at 3 cars again. 2007 Jeep Rubicon, 2018 Ford Fusion (really, really love this car for some reason) and a 2019 Jeep Compass. Between all three, we don't even have over 60k miles combined. I can't go back to having buckets with high miles, mechanic bills balance out payments.
    do you swap around because you get bored? or the cars start breaking down on you?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    We got a used car in May 2020, when prices tanked before they skyrocketed

The missus wanted a 2017 Subaru Impreza hatchback for the AWD, but those cars rarely drop in price (Subarus in general). Ended up getting a certified 2017 VW Golf Wolfsberg Edition, 24k miles for under 15k. Great deal and saw some priced for 18-19k a couple of months after. No AWD, but we're in California and don't need rugged for the couple of times a year we go outdoors/national parks.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    do you swap around because you get bored? or the cars start breaking down on you?
    The only car that kind of broke down was the Mustang. It was pitiful. Not even 50k before a new alternator and then the electrical system running the AC/Heat started messing up and it was all sorts of typical Ford ery.

Otherwise, just like to get out from under cars before 75k.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The only car that kind of broke down was the Mustang. It was pitiful. Not even 50k before a new alternator and then the electrical system running the AC/Heat started messing up and it was all sorts of typical Ford ery.

Otherwise, just like to get out from under cars before 75k.
    probably a wise decision if you insist on buying american (except some jeeps, and the big pickups)

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    probably a wise decision if you insist on buying american (except some jeeps, and the big pickups)
    Yeah, definitely SOME Jeeps. We had a '99 Wrangler Sierra. Got her to about 90k miles and we were still able to sell her for $11k. We paid $17k for the Rubicon. Dude down the road offered us $20k for it. Bluebooks for $25k now. Too bad most Jeeps are heaps of if not maintained like an old French after awhile.

Foreign will always be best, indeed. Drove a load of them when I was a bucket-buyer as a youth. The thing is my dad is a mechanic, so work was paid by helping and beer. At the end of the day, good maintenance will keep almost any car in great condition.

Great maintenance costs $ and the old man is in Texas. Even with the buckets, maintaining foreign cars still costs more. So, I just let the warranties take care of it, flip it out when it's still profitable to do so and have new cars every few years that are built into my monthly budget with zero stress.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I don’t really care about back seat heaters, prob no one will ever sit back there, I added it as an example of the kind of over the top options my vehicle comes with.
    See, this is what I'm talking about. Why? Noone sits in the back seats of the gf's CRV either. Like 6-7 out of 10 cars out on the road are SUVs and the seats/cargo space are often not even used or needed. They're also more expensive and become a less fun ride the bulkier you get. I dont get it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yeah, definitely SOME Jeeps. We had a '99 Wrangler Sierra. Got her to about 90k miles and we were still able to sell her for $11k. We paid $17k for the Rubicon. Dude down the road offered us $20k for it. Bluebooks for $25k now. Too bad most Jeeps are heaps of if not maintained like an old French after awhile.

Foreign will always be best, indeed. Drove a load of them when I was a bucket-buyer as a youth. The thing is my dad is a mechanic, so work was paid by helping and beer. At the end of the day, good maintenance will keep almost any car in great condition.

Great maintenance costs $ and the old man is in Texas. Even with the buckets, maintaining foreign cars still costs more. So, I just let the warranties take care of it, flip it out when it's still profitable to do so and have new cars every few years that are built into my monthly budget with zero stress.
    while you cant outright neglect them, some of the foreign buckets you refer to require fairly limited maintenance. , before we married, my wife had bought herself a used 2005 camry with over 100k miles on it, drove it for several years, never had any serious mechanical issues. we just didnt think it was worth paying to have it shipped over here, so we just gave it to her parents as a spare.

my ive had my civic since 08 and have about 155k miles on it. only real repair work i've had to do to it was replace the motor mount at about 120k miles which ran me about $650.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    See, this is what I'm talking about. Why? Noone sits in the back seats of the gf's CRV either. Like 6-7 out of 10 cars out on the road are SUVs and the seats/cargo space are often not even used or needed. They're also more expensive and become a less fun ride the bulkier you get. I dont get it.
    yeah, equation changes when you have kids (or older parents that you occasionally shuttle around). if i didnt have kids but wanted an SUV type vehicle for the purpose of cargo/trips, i'd just get a smaller crossover type like the HR-V (if we're talking honda) and lay the seats down. but CR-V get pretty good gas mileage given their size anyway.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    yeah, equation changes when you have kids (or older parents that you occasionally shuttle around). if i didnt have kids but wanted an SUV type vehicle for the purpose of cargo/trips, i'd just get a smaller crossover type like the HR-V (if we're talking honda) and lay the seats down. but CR-V get pretty good gas mileage given their size anyway.
    I had an SUV when my daughter was born in 05, but got sedans after and never had issues with space tbh. The only thing that sucks about the civic is when sciatica acts up and my hips are below my knees.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I had an SUV when my daughter was born in 05, but got sedans after and never had issues with space tbh. The only thing that sucks about the civic is when sciatica acts up and my hips are below my knees.
    yeah sedans are fine with kids too, if they're roomy enough. the extra space is nice when you are using car seats, particularly the removable ones that pop into strollers. having the extra room to constantly pop the bulky seat in and out is helpful.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    yeah sedans are fine with kids too, if they're roomy enough. the extra space is nice when you are using car seats, particularly the removable ones that pop into strollers. having the extra room to constantly pop the bulky seat in and out is helpful.
    Yeah, definitely not as much of an issue when they face forward though. And holy , my daughter is 16 in a few weeks. Time flies.

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Congrats. Lexus are solid and very reliable. I also looked at a RAV4 back in the day, but I made the mistake of checking out the RX 330 first. Then the RAV4 looked like all plastic. I don't really like driving, so having comfort is at the top of my list.

Thread Information