Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    tried searching for one but didnt want to necro something from a decade ago.

while i still have a soft spot for my 2008 civic, the first and only car i've ever owned, i wouldnt be caught dead putting a kid in there , and have one on the way. also wanted a vehicle with AWD given that we get some snow here, and long term, still enjoy making trips up to mountains.

so i just picked up a 2018 forester (well, picking it up on saturday) with ~20k miles on it for 20k. did a ton of research and feel pretty good about the selection for that class. the visibility while driving was pretty unmatched in the class, though some of the other small/mid SUVs had more luxury items and bells and whistles that im not particularly interested in.

like that it gets 26/32, even in full time AWD, which will be nice as i plan on keeping this one for the long haul, and mileage will be nice when i move back to LA in a few years. the CR-V and RAV-4 had similar numbers, but i really disliked the visibility of those in comparison, with the massive pillars they have between windows/doors. the forester feels like a greenhouse in comparison. also thought the hyundai santa fe was surprisingly nice, had good visibility and looked pretty nice from the inside, but ultimately the hyundai's and kia's dont seem to hold their value and werent compe ive with gas mileage

what u guys drive?
    Last edited by spurraider21; 02-18-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A 1980 Walton

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I really want to get a new Telluride. But the older I get, the more I side with my dad’s old adage, “you just need something that gets you from Point A to Point B. For the first time ever, I paid off a car (2016 Pilot). I’m probably going to just enjoy no payments for a while. That being said, I’ve been thinking about a Forrester as well. I passed one of the orangish ones a while back and it looked sharp.

About a year ago, I had to take my Pilot in and they gave me a new Civic as a loaner. That was a fun as car to drive. But I’ve got terrible night vision and need something higher up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I really want to get a new Telluride. But the older I get, the more I side with my dad’s old adage, “you just need something that gets you from Point A to Point B. For the first time ever, I paid off a car (2016 Pilot). I’m probably going to just enjoy no payments for a while. That being said, I’ve been thinking about a Forrester as well. I passed one of the orangish ones a while back and it looked sharp.

About a year ago, I had to take my Pilot in and they gave me a new Civic as a loaner. That was a fun as car to drive. But I’ve got terrible night vision and need something higher up.
    yeah, i was looking to just pay cash for something used, but certified pre-owned so still under warranty. the kia telluride and hyundai palisades both look like ing beasts, but they're both newer models so not much of a used market.

those might be things i look at down the line as my next car if/when we have more kids, and when wife is making money instead of costing tuition , but even then, i dont think i'd buy a brand new vehicle anytime soon. seems really unnecessary compared to getting a certified pre-owned vehicle, unless you REALLY want that new model (like the telluride for people looking to buy now)

pilot was on our radar too, but was just too much car for what we needed now. CR-V was closer in size to what we wanted. i really trust honda's after having driven my civic for a while, and one of my cousins' families has had the same odyssey since 2005 still going strong

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My main vehicle is a 2016 Jeep Renegade tbh...nothing fancy, wanted small SUV but thought the Kia soul looked really lame so this was a solid inbetween. no complaints thus far. was thinking of trading it in last year but with COVID and my job going full remote i dont really see the point anymore

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    while i didnt need one now, i was looking into 3 row SUVs just to get a sense of what i'd be looking at down the line, and man, some of those "third rows" are basically airplane seating with no real footspace. expected to see that in models like the sorrento, but even the palisade and telluride had tiny third rows. only ones i saw that had a legit third row size were the lincoln navigator, chevy suburban and tahoe (but tahoe has virtually no storage space behind the third row). or just getting a minivan at that point for half the price

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a 2006 BMW 750 Li with 88k miles as my weekend car. Car is a pain in the ass to maintain but I do love driving it. I have never taken to a stealership beacuse those guys will rob you blindly so I do a lot of the mechanical work on it if there's a youtube video on it or info on a BMW forum.

My other car is 2012 Ford Escape Limited Edition that I need to get rid of sometime soon. It's been good to me but it's time to move on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    while i didnt need one now, i was looking into 3 row SUVs just to get a sense of what i'd be looking at down the line, and man, some of those "third rows" are basically airplane seating with no real footspace. expected to see that in models like the sorrento, but even the palisade and telluride had tiny third rows. only ones i saw that had a legit third row size were the lincoln navigator, chevy suburban and tahoe (but tahoe has virtually no storage space behind the third row). or just getting a minivan at that point for half the price
    Yeah, part of the reason I got the Pilot was that I was coaching my daughter’s soccer team and wanted the 3rd row to haul kids. But it was cramped as . It was really barely functional for normal size people. Maybe used it 4 or 5 times in all these years.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

while i still have a soft spot for my 2008 civic, the first and only car i've ever owned, i wouldnt be caught dead putting a kid in there , and have one on the way. also wanted a vehicle with AWD given that we get some snow here, and long term, still enjoy making trips up to mountains.

so i just picked up a 2018 forester (well, picking it up on saturday) with ~20k miles on it for 20k. did a ton of research and feel pretty good about the selection for that class. the visibility while driving was pretty unmatched in the class, though some of the other small/mid SUVs had more luxury items and bells and whistles that im not particularly interested in.

like that it gets 26/32, even in full time AWD, which will be nice as i plan on keeping this one for the long haul, and mileage will be nice when i move back to LA in a few years. the CR-V and RAV-4 had similar numbers, but i really disliked the visibility of those in comparison, with the massive pillars they have between windows/doors. the forester feels like a greenhouse in comparison. also thought the hyundai santa fe was surprisingly nice, had good visibility and looked pretty nice from the inside, but ultimately the hyundai's and kia's dont seem to hold their value and werent compe ive with gas mileage

what u guys drive?
    Good choice, they have good ground clearance too. I have a 2014 Civic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Good choice, they have good ground clearance too. I have a 2014 Civic.
    <3

this is basically how i feel about my civic

https://www.craigslist.org/about/bes...565526716.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10/10 😂

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I drive a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Wife drives a 1972 Ford Pinto

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

what u guys drive?
    I had the Outback but it was a noise machine, couldn't talk hands free for . I have a Legacy now, it's better but still too much road noise. It's a lease though so next go round I'll probably get something a bit quieter since I take a lot of meetings while driving to and from airports. Best I've had so far is the Toyota Camry. the new models with some upgrades is pretty decent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's ing great

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So you're the other owner eh?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I had the Outback but it was a noise machine, couldn't talk hands free for . I have a Legacy now, it's better but still too much road noise. It's a lease though so next go round I'll probably get something a bit quieter since I take a lot of meetings while driving to and from airports. Best I've had so far is the Toyota Camry. the new models with some upgrades is pretty decent.
    yeah, my general understanding of subarus is that you should not be confusing them with luxury vehicles, but they are mechanically sound, pragmatic, hold value, etc. you arent getting a subaru to isolate yourself from the road

Camry's are rock solid . wife was driving a 2005 camry until we moved. when it comes to newer ones, toyota/honda/hyundai and even kia do a good job of stuffing a lot of features, bells and whistles into damn near every model. i couldnt fathom buying a sedan from the US or Germany

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I just bought a new Telluride Nightfall Edition for my father in law (we drive it when we go visit). It's nice, and spacious. I was expecting a bit more real wood for that money, but it's a good ride.

I'm still driving my '16 Lexus Rx330... it's just solid but it's getting up there in miles, tbh. Probably will start looking for something soon.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Subarus are solid if you want AWD and something that holds its value. Is there a hatchback version of the WRX yet? I would've gone with that or an Outback before the Forrester but I'm of the belief that too many people unnecessarily drive bigger SUVs. I tried to steer the gf towards a hatchback or a midsize SUV like the HRV/CHR when she was in the market for a car, but she walked out with a CRV because the others just felt "too small". We don't even have kids.

I drive a '15 VW GTI and an '06 Civic. I love the GTI but its given me some problems even though I baby the out of it and treat it like a princess.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Subarus are solid if you want AWD and something that holds its value. Is there a hatchback version of the WRX yet? I would've gone with that or an Outback before the Forrester but I'm of the belief that too many people unnecessarily drive bigger SUVs. I tried to steer the gf towards a hatchback or a midsize SUV like the HRV/CHR when she was in the market for a car, but she walked out with a CRV because the others just felt "too small". We don't even have kids.

I drive a '15 VW GTI and an '06 Civic. I love the GTI but its given me some problems even though I baby the out of it and treat it like a princess.
    Didn’t have a strong preference of the forester over the outback. All i really cared about were the internal dimensions (roomy enough for portable/removable car seat + adequate storage), awd, fuel economy, and durability. Outback and forester are nearly identical in all respects.

bit when shopping for certified pre owned, a lot more foresters were available and generally at a better price

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Currently have a 2012 Malibu with about 120k miles on it. Hoping I can ride it out to around 200k miles before it s out on me.

Will probably grab a Camry as my next car. I’m more about reliability and functionality than anything else. Although I have thought back and forth on the idea of a Tesla. Supposedly they have low mantienence and can last a long time. Anyone have one? I haven’t done a lot of research into them. Hoping it’s another 3-4 years before I need to grab a new car

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yay I can finally tell someone about my new car! I’ve been driving a 2018 Toyota Avalon by default; when my SO was having knee replacements/rehab he needed a vehicle he could get into without having to stop and walk off the pain every 30 min (he is 6’4”). We just went around to dealerships and sat in vehicles until he found one with the best leg room and ended up with the Avalon. It’s a very nice car, fully loaded, very comfy and drives smoooooth, but I’ve been eyeing the smaller SUVs as a replacement because now I have a car seat and stroller to accommodate.

Just from eyeballing cars in traffic I was drawn to the RAV4 size and pretty much decided that’s what I would look at first. Problem was there were tons of LE’s but most of the XLEs were under some recall and not able to be sold. My son beat me to the punch and bought his wife the only XLE Premium avail at our dealer! That gave me the opportunity to scrutinize the vehicle in and out, deciding that the Limited would probably get it equipped as I wanted. Not many Limiteds available and the ones they had were upwards of 33k.

The RAV is a great utilitarian vehicle but the road noise, and over 33k, I figured I could probably invest a few $k more and get some luxury too. I decided to look at a the RAV4 sized Lexus NX 300. Man, it was love at first sight It has every option (heated back seats!!). I just have not seen another car that attracts me, the styling is beautiful and the ride is sooo smooth and quiet. I’m totally in love with it. Problem is it was delivered to my garage 12 days ago and I’ve only been out in it once lol. I hope I love actually using it as much as I love just sitting in it in the garage

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Currently have a 2012 Malibu with about 120k miles on it. Hoping I can ride it out to around 200k miles before it s out on me.

Will probably grab a Camry as my next car. I’m more about reliability and functionality than anything else. Although I have thought back and forth on the idea of a Tesla. Supposedly they have low mantienence and can last a long time. Anyone have one? I haven’t done a lot of research into them. Hoping it’s another 3-4 years before I need to grab a new car
    I have a 2020 Camry Hybrid with currently a little under 10k, bought last April.

I would definitely suggest the Camry, 2020 or previous models because the 2021 model has that ugly tablet dashboard that obstructs driving view, it's the new craze but it's unpleasant to say the least. I prefer more traditional 2010s dashboards.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Hybrid is great on gas, but AWD would have been nice this winter to say the least. If you're getting a Camry, I would suggest either the Hybrid or the AWD (unfortunately it doesn't come in both) as opposed to the base model, depending on your location (if you live in a cold snowy state get the AWD, else get the hybrid because gas is going to skyrocket under the Biden regime).

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Tesla I wouldn't recommend just yet because the purchase price is outrageous and you never recuperate that in the savings on energy or anything else. Plus, the savings on energy isn't as much as you think, as charging a Tesla costs almost as much in electricity as the COVID-era gas prices for a full charge, it's not like charging a cell phone or something.

Wait for Musk to drop the prices to more reasonable standards rather than Mercedes-esque standards, before buying a Tesla, that's my advice. But no denying Tesla esque cars are the future. Hopefully in the future we'll get more solar and safe fusion electricity rather than relying on increasingly expensive fossil fuels.

Thread Information