Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe he'll come back playing even more inspired ball.
    He is already playing inspired ball.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR is a top notch person. One of the better dudes in the NBA. Sad news!
    For sure! He's been nothing but class playing in San Antonio. I'm a fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost my dad a few years back. Gets better as time moves on but there are definitely times when it randomly hits me...that damn it would be nice if my Pops was around to see this.

Condolences to the Derozan family tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prayers to all concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keeping the DeRozan's in my heart and on my mind today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Godspeed Mr. Derozan. You raised a special boy who grew into a damn good man.
    Your legacy will live on in him and his daughters.

You now dance with the angels and have the best seat in the house to watch your son.

Love and Peace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prayers for DeMar and his family in their time of grief...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP.

He sounds like he was a great father and a good man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is already playing inspired ball.
    Yeah, that's why I said "even more." Tragedy, among the strong-willed, can lead one to ascending to greater heights than before.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's why I said "even more." Tragedy, among the strong-willed, can lead one to ascending to greater heights than before.
    I remember Tim Duncan’s dad dying back in the ‘02 playoffs in the first round. His dad died after game 3 against the Sonics. He missed game 4 to attend his dad’s funeral and the spurs ended up losing that game. No one thought he would even play in game 5 which was a must win since it was best of 5. Tim showed up a few hours before game 5. Had a good game and the spurs advanced to play the Lakers. Tim was great against the Lakers. Put up monster numbers and was clearly better than both Kobe/Shaq in that series. If the spurs had Manu a year earlier they would have beaten the Lakers that year. Tim was a monster in that series but he just didn’t have enough help to win. I was just amazed at how high of a level Tim played at after losing his Dad before that series started.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that sucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP. My condolences to the DeRozan family. Sad. I hope he takes all the time he needs to grieve. His mental health is a concern as well so he needs the support of his family and friends more than ever.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to hear about Demar's dad. Looks like he was a great guy. Seeing him wear a Spurs hat chokes me up a bit. Seems like he truly supported his son no matter what.

I remember Tim Duncan’s dad dying back in the ‘02 playoffs in the first round. His dad died after game 3 against the Sonics. He missed game 4 to attend his dad’s funeral and the spurs ended up losing that game. No one thought he would even play in game 5 which was a must win since it was best of 5. Tim showed up a few hours before game 5. Had a good game and the spurs advanced to play the Lakers. Tim was great against the Lakers. Put up monster numbers and was clearly better than both Kobe/Shaq in that series. If the spurs had Manu a year earlier they would have beaten the Lakers that year. Tim was a monster in that series but he just didn’t have enough help to win. I was just amazed at how high of a level Tim played at after losing his Dad before that series started.
    Yeah, I still remember that and was thinking about TD while reading this thread. We got blown out by the Sonics early in game 4 but I remember TP, and I think Malik Rose leading a bit of a comeback late in the game after being down big to start, however, we just fell short and still ended up losing by around 10 or so (someone needs to correct me if I am wrong on the details as it was a long, long time). I also wasn't sure whether or not Tim would come back for game 5 (I thought I read that he wasn't even going to take game 4 off, but the Spurs told him to go?), but yeah, he came back and he lead the Spurs to an inspired win in game 5. I was so happy that he came back. I would have understood if he didn't come back, but when he did, I was so happy that he could do that after what had happened. You are right about how good he was when he still had great mobility as he did in his younger days. He was a monster back then. He could go toe to toe with both Kobe and Shaq by himself and usually outplay one of them, and/or sometimes outplay both of them, but it was so tough for anyone to beat those two individually without a lot of help. If Tim had another youngish all-star level player to help him back then, we would have wiped the floor with them with the way he was dominating IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to hear about Demar's dad. Looks like he was a great guy. Seeing him wear a Spurs hat chokes me up a bit. Seems like he truly supported his son no matter what.

Yeah, I still remember that and was thinking about TD while reading this thread. We got blown out by the Sonics early in game 4 but I remember TP, and I think Malik Rose leading a bit of a comeback late in the game after being down big to start, however, we just fell short and still ended up losing by around 10 or so (someone needs to correct me if I am wrong on the details as it was a long, long time). I also wasn't sure whether or not Tim would come back for game 5 (I thought I read that he wasn't even going to take game 4 off, but the Spurs told him to go?), but yeah, he came back and he lead the Spurs to an inspired win in game 5. I was so happy that he came back. I would have understood if he didn't come back, but when he did, I was so happy that he could do that after what had happened. You are right about how good he was when he still had great mobility as he did in his younger days. He was a monster back then. He could go toe to toe with both Kobe and Shaq by himself and usually outplay one of them, and/or sometimes outplay both of them, but it was so tough for anyone to beat those two individually without a lot of help. If Tim had another youngish all-star level player to help him back then, we would have wiped the floor with them with the way he was dominating IMO.
    I didn't even expect Tim to comeback for game 5 during that series and was going to hold it against him if he didn't. I went into that game 5 expected him not to show up. The rest of the team didn't believe he would either from what I remember in pre-game interviews a day before. I turn on the TV and it was either on TBS or TNT but they reported a Tim Duncan sighting at the Alamodome with his wife at the time about an hour before tip off. Duncan was just dominant on both ends of the court in that series against the Lakers. People forget but David missed the first two games of that series so Tim had to guard Shaq for the first two games. Even when Dave cameback he got into quick foul trouble guarding Shaq so Tim was the primary defender of Shaq for the whole entire series and just busted Shaq's ass. Shaq had the worst series of his career statistically not just against Tim but against any opponent. I was impressed by Tim's compe ive nature to go at Shaq on both ends while dealing with the loss of his dad. Not easy to do in that high stakes type of situation.

I definitely believe if Tim had a player like Tmac, Ray Allen, or even a young Michael Finley the Spurs would have wiped the the floor with the Lakers earlier in his career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Demar will be able to get through this and not for the Spurs sake but for his own sake and well being. I wish him the best through this tough ordeal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Malik had something like 28/13 in that game, I remember it quite vividly.

RIP Demar's dad, kind of cool to see him in a Spurs hat, must have been very proud of his son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's terrible. RIP. That's a nice family pic and love the Spurs cap on his Dad w DeMar's daughters. I don't things are easy for DeMar. I admire him more and more as a Spur and a person, and feel real bad for him losing his father. Condolences. DeMar has been a professional and a leader for my favorite franchise and I respect that.
    Last edited by superbigtime; 02-20-2021 at 11:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar missed only two games says a lot about Demar. He is a good son, but he has a team to be back to also. And he pours it all out out there, albeit not the result that Spurs fan expect sometimes, spoiled by the big 3 for the longest. But I still think Demar gives his hardest what Pop ask him to, facilitator when DJ and White were still learning the ropes. He’s been a good soldier.

Condolences Demar. May your father’s soul rest in peace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik had something like 28/13 in that game, I remember it quite vividly.

RIP Demar's dad, kind of cool to see him in a Spurs hat, must have been very proud of his son.
    I also remember Malik doing that two arm wrap up of the ball, a la Tim, pre tipoff. Nice nod.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please accept our condolences! Best wishes!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad days for DeMar. We hope he feels surrounded by much love from family and friends.

It's good to see how much has changed Spurs fans' opinion about him. Anybody can like or dislike him as a player but nobody can deny he's a great professional. He might not be the leader a championship team needs but he's definetely leading our team into a hard but successful rebuilding process. Spurs fans appreciate his commitment, the sacrifice for the team and young players developement at the time he steps up when needed. DeMar doesn't show off, he's not looking for attention in social media nor generating any controversy as many "superstars" do these days. By contrast, his presence in media and news is always related to good causes.

DeMar is a Spur any Spurfan can feel proud of. As a fan base, we assure him and his family of the compassion that we feel towards them in their pain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sry DD, love ya

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR is a top notch person. One of the better dudes in the NBA. Sad news!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bit late, but RIP.

Thread Information