View Poll Results: Which position do the Spurs need to strengthen?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Point Guard

0 0%
  • Combo Guard

0 0%
  • Wing

0 0%
  • Big Wing

13 14.94%
  • Athletic Forward

38 43.68%
  • Stretch Big

25 28.74%
  • Anchor Big

11 12.64%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a rim protecting big that is a GREAT rebounder. Tired of getting out rebounded every night

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletic forward makes sense. And I can see how you created the choices through position/size, obviously. Another way to look at it is through skill. Skills that I think are desperately lacking: deadly outside shooting, creative playmaking. I think those are a couple of things we are really lacking. Having written it, it makes me wonder about not getting Haliburton now, alas. But it's easier to say that now that we have some improved defense with DJ, White and Devin out there, not to mention more minutes for Yak.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A combo (or pure 3) forward as well as a combo (primarily a 4) big.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a rim protecting big that is a GREAT rebounder. Tired of getting out rebounded every night

I swear we have a guy like that on our roster. Poeltl? he play C and when playing the full games he's averaging over 10 Rebs.

We don't lake a Center, we lack a big and Athetlic 4 that can help Box out and rebound.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best player available who isn’t a guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread. There are some interesting projects in the draft and someone is likely to drop. If the Spurs keep their pick and assuming it'd be somewhere in the 12-20 range, here's my list of realistic/semi-realistic targets :

TIER 1 :
    - Greg Brown : super raw, but a lot of potential
    - Kai Jones : even more raw and even more potential
    - Franz Wagner : if other GMs are blind
    - Jalen Johnson : if his value dips due to red flags
    - Jaden Springer : he's all over the place in mocks, might be long gone, but a very polished player

TIER 2:
    - Brandon Boston : huge upside as a shooter/scorer, might find it easier in the NBA than college
    - Josh Christopher : big, athletic, polished but hasn't put it all together yet
    - Usman Garuba : watched him a few times, looks big, strong, long, enormous defensive upside even on the perimeter, but his offense is very suspect. He's hit some 3s now though, so he's improving

That said, I think it's possible the Spurs zag when everyone zigs and be buyers at the trade deadline. Not sure they'd feel great ending up with another 2 or 3 year project on their hands if they can get someone who's good and fits with the other players right now. Not saying I like him at the max he'd demand, but just as an example the Spurs's first, say top 10 protected, could very likely be the best offer Atlanta would get for John Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thread. There are some interesting projects in the draft and someone is likely to drop. If the Spurs keep their pick and assuming it'd be somewhere in the 12-20 range, here's my list of realistic/semi-realistic targets :

TIER 1 :
    - Greg Brown : super raw, but a lot of potential
    - Kai Jones : even more raw and even more potential
    - Franz Wagner : if other GMs are blind
    - Jalen Johnson : if his value dips due to red flags
    - Jaden Springer : he's all over the place in mocks, might be long gone, but a very polished player

TIER 2:
    - Brandon Boston : huge upside as a shooter/scorer, might find it easier in the NBA than college
    - Josh Christopher : big, athletic, polished but hasn't put it all together yet
    - Usman Garuba : watched him a few times, looks big, strong, long, enormous defensive upside even on the perimeter, but his offense is very suspect. He's hit some 3s now though, so he's improving

That said, I think it's possible the Spurs zag when everyone zigs and be buyers at the trade deadline. Not sure they'd feel great ending up with another 2 or 3 year project on their hands if they can get someone who's good and fits with the other players right now. Not saying I like him at the max he'd demand, but just as an example the Spurs's first, say top 10 protected, could very likely be the best offer Atlanta would get for John Collins.
    Kai Jones reminds me a LOT of Nicholas Claxton, and Nic hasn't made it in the league. That's what makes me iffy about Kai. He flashes some nice moves, but so did Nic and Nic did it even better. The issue is, Nic isn't explosive enough to make use of all his skills and neither does Kai. That's what impresses me about Luka, he has guard skills but he's also faster than your typical big man (which you need to be to make it in the league).

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Ariel Hukporti. Super athletic C that can shoot the 3 and has real polish to his game. Of course, me saying this means that some team I hate will draft him and he’ll become an immediate all star. But that’s what I want them to do, go get an athletic 5 with modern shooting ability and rim protecting ability to develop for the future. I’ve always been a Spurs fan, and the Spurs have always had a dominant big since David Robinson. I just want that to continue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Ariel Hukporti. Super athletic C that can shoot the 3 and has real polish to his game. Of course, me saying this means that some team I hate will draft him and he’ll become an immediate all star. But that’s what I want them to do, go get an athletic 5 with modern shooting ability and rim protecting ability to develop for the future. I’ve always been a Spurs fan, and the Spurs have always had a dominant big since David Robinson. I just want that to continue.
    I've seen a bit and IMO, he would classify as an athletic forward in this league. His length, stature, and narrow frame doesn't seem to be ideal for an anchor big, he wouldn't cover enough space with his body. While his shooting stroke isn't quite polished enough to be a reliable shooter from 3, I wouldn't classify him as a stretch big either. He looks like a quality rim running, weak side blocking, athletic forward. It's early but he's being projected as undrafted, so if the Spurs want him they could get him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bennedict Mathurin seems like a good fit. One of the few wings with good shooting touch. He maybe the Pat Williams of this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to know what we need when LMA, Mills, Dero, and Gay are FA. I'm not against trading for a point guard. doing so means Murray and White are on the trading block for another young player or maybe a veteran and a pick. They shouldn't pass up a Halliburton if they can. That said, the time is now to start work on a poertle replacement and get some depth. . An athletic big to force Luka to stay conditioned and motivated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bennedict Mathurin seems like a good fit. One of the few wings with good shooting touch. He maybe the Pat Williams of this draft.

Thought you made that name up at first.

Not bad. Looks to be a 3 level scorer. Would like to see a little more burst. Would bolster the depth behind Devin, essentially wiping out Lonnie's minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to know what we need when LMA, Mills, Dero, and Gay are FA. I'm not against trading for a point guard. doing so means Murray and White are on the trading block for another young player or maybe a veteran and a pick. They shouldn't pass up a Halliburton if they can. That said, the time is now to start work on a poertle replacement and get some depth. . An athletic big to force Luka to stay conditioned and motivated
    Why go young for the sake of going young? If there was a young guard better than Murray or White, why would they be on the trading block? There aren't any more Haliburtons coming, not in the range we're likely to pick anyways. Even then, are we really prepared to go another four years of having a mediocre team because we're starting over with a new point guard who has to learn the system (and because we didn't address our other positions of need)?
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-21-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletic forward is the biggest need. Full stop. Even if Demar leaves, which I’m not sold that he will (I actually think he and Patty both come back) they have enough coverage at 1-2-3 with Jones/Murray/Walker/White/Vassell/Johnson.

That said, if someone ends up falling to them that they have very high on draft boards at one of those slots, you absolutely take them. I think Vassell was in that boat last year despite not being the biggest need. His defensive metrics are high level as a rookie with a shortened training camp, and he has all the tools to be serviceable offensively (will be a high 30s three point shooter).

If they end up with a 2/3, you have to seriously consider moving White, and the athletic forward may come via trade or free agency.

Let’s also not forget that if Demar leaves, they’ll have a massive amount of cap room that isn’t useful just in FA but also for trades if teams need to create room. Plus depending on the destination, Demar could bring back something in a S&T (I think Patty, Gay and Aldridge are all MLE level so not as likely).

The Spurs are literally sixth in the league in defensive rebounding and not too far off #2 (New Orleans). Only Milwaukee is better than them. On offensive end, Spurs tend to err on side of preventing transition vs. offensive rebounding. When you have good rebounding guards like Murray, it makes up for less rebounding elsewhere.
    Last edited by cjw; 02-21-2021 at 09:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletic forward is the biggest need. Full stop. Even if Demar leaves, which I’m not sold that he will (I actually think he and Patty both come back) they have enough coverage at 1-2-3 with Jones/Murray/Walker/White/Vassell/Johnson.

That said, if someone ends up falling to them that they have very high on draft boards at one of those slots, you absolutely take them. I think Vassell was in that boat last year despite not being the biggest need. His defensive metrics are high level as a rookie with a shortened training camp, and he has all the tools to be serviceable offensively (will be a high 30s three point shooter).

If they end up with a 2/3, you have to seriously consider moving White, and the athletic forward may come via trade or free agency.

Let’s also not forget that if Demar leaves, they’ll have a massive amount of cap room that isn’t useful just in FA but also for trades if teams need to create room. Plus depending on the destination, Demar could bring back something in a S&T (I think Patty, Gay and Aldridge are all MLE level so not as likely).

The Spurs are literally sixth in the league in defensive rebounding and not too far off #2 (New Orleans). Only Milwaukee is better than them. On offensive end, Spurs tend to err on side of preventing transition vs. offensive rebounding. When you have good rebounding guards like Murray, it makes up for less rebounding elsewhere.
    Do you think our future four should be a rim rolling Jerami Grant type as opposed to a Pascal Siakam? Pascal is who I thought of when I made my description for "big wing". Someone who could handle the ball a little bit, do some playmaking as our four to keep the opponent guessing.

As far as Vassell goes, I'm starting to think maybe they weren't fully bought in with Lonnie, so they wanted to find another guy to build up into our wing of the future (just like the possibility that they are not convinced by Luka, that they would invest in another stretch big this year).
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-21-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think our future four should be a rim rolling Jerami Grant type as opposed to a Pascal Siakam? That's who I thought of when I made my description for "big wing". Someone who could handle the ball a little bit, do some playmaking as our four to keep the opponent guessing.

As far as Vassell goes, I'm starting to think maybe they weren't fully bought in with Lonnie, so they wanted to find another guy to build up into our wing of the future (just like the possibility that they are not convinced by Luka, that they would invest in another stretch big this year).
    I think the optimal lineup is Keldon at the four. When you have a rim protector like Jakob you overload with perimeter oriented players. A Middleton type I think is the ideal player for us maybe one of Vassell/Lonnie is the answer at the starting lineup. That is why i like an athletic shooter like Mathurin over Wagner.

Vassell and Lonnie are the starting wing candidates on the position that would be left by Derozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the optimal lineup is Keldon at the four. When you have a rim protector like Jakob you overload with perimeter oriented players. A Middleton type I think is the ideal player for us maybe one of Vassell/Lonnie is the answer at the starting lineup. That is why i like an athletic shooter like Mathurin over Wagner.

Vassell and Lonnie are the starting wing candidates on the position that would be left by Derozan.
    Hmm you're one of the rare few who believe Keldon shouldn't slide down in the event DeMar is gone. I disagree, but I respect it. IMO, you can maintain a perimeter overloaded line-up by sliding down Keldon and adding a taller version (for the sake of not being mismatched against taller fours) of him at the four. Those would still be four perimeter oriented players. rankingtear.

This is my exact line of thinking when I talk about guys like Wagner and Herb Jones, my two most coveted prospects.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-21-2021 at 10:36 AM.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    athletic forward/stretch big. not many great stretch bigs in this year draft. So at least for now my favs are: with 1st rnd franz wagner and with 2nd rnd herbert jones. Both 6'8, good defenders and shoot from 3 pt pretty well. I have a feeling that jones gonna be a steal if he stays in the 2nd rnd.

Also matthew hurt looks interesting but not so great defender. He played with tre in duke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    athletic forward/stretch big. not many great stretch bigs in this year draft. So at least for now my favs are: with 1st rnd franz wagner and with 2nd rnd herbert jones. Both 6'8, good defenders and shoot from 3 pt pretty well. I have a feeling that jones gonna be a steal if he stays in the 2nd rnd.

Also matthew hurt looks interesting but not so great defender. He played with tre in duke.
    Judging from your post, I'm going to assume that half who voted for Athletic Forward really meant to vote for Big Wing. maybe I should have had a different label for big wing. Either that or the fact that DeMar and Keldon are undersized and it's misleading people to believe all other big wings will be the same size under that category.

IMO, there's a distinct difference between the two (Athletic Forward & Big Wing): one has playmaking skills, the other does not. One has more verticality, the other does not. One has better ball handling skills, the other does not.

I probably should have labeled it "Playmaking Big Forward" instead.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-21-2021 at 11:20 AM.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judging from your post, I'm going to assume that half who voted for Athletic Forward really meant to vote for Big Wing. maybe I should have had a different label for big wing. Either that or the fact that DeMar and Keldon are undersized and it's misleading people to believe all other big wings will be the same size under that category.

IMO, there's a distinct difference between the two (Athletic Forward & Big Wing): one has playmaking skills, the other does not. One has more verticality, the other does not. One has better ball handling skills, the other does not.

I probably should have labeled it "Playmaking Big Forward" instead.
    lebron has everything and hes a 6'9 point guard.

imo wagner and herbert jones could easily be consider as an athletic forward. They both can play at 3 and 4. Both have sizes (6'8), wagner will probably grow 1-2 inches- hes young and his brother is 6-11. Herbert is way more athletic. They probably wont cover centers but we already have poeltl and eubanks for that job. Other guys in nba that play 4: tatum (6'8), siakam(6'9), collins(6'9).
    murray/tre
    white/vassell/lonnie
    keldon/herbert
    franz/samanic
    poeltl/eubanks
    Last edited by spurspl; 02-21-2021 at 11:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lebron has everything and hes a 6'9 point guard.

imo wagner and herbert jones could easily be consider as an athletic forward. They both can play at 3 and 4. Both have sizes (6'8), wagner will probably grow 1-2 inches- hes young and his brother is 6-11. Herbert is way more athletic. They probably wont cover centers but we already have poeltl and eubanks for that job. Other guys in nba that play 4: tatum (6'8), siakam(6'9), collins(6'9).
    murray/tre
    vassell/lonnie
    keldon/herbert
    franz/samanic
    poeltl/eubanks
    I think we're arguing semantics at this point.

I tried to layout descriptions for each archetype so that we're all on the same page, but people like you want to cling onto pre-defined notions of what Athletic Forward means to you.

LeBron is not a full-time point guard. He shares those duties. He would classify under what I described as Big Wing or now known as Playmaking Big Forward. You just have to go to the opening post and read each bullet point.

Being a big wing/playmaking big forward doesn't mean you aren't athletic or not tall. Read the descriptions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Positionally/role wise, big wing. Skillset wise, sniper.

None of the youth are movement or pullup 3-point shooters and the only ones who are average or better in terms of combining percentage and volume from 3, are White, Walker, Vassell.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Positionally/role wise, big wing. Skillset wise, sniper.

None of the youth are movement or pullup 3-point shooters and the only ones who are average or better in terms of combining percentage and volume from 3, are White, Walker, Vassell.
    Yeah our offense can't survive with another stationary three point shooter. I don't like the fit with Franz or Herb, especially Herb 1.7 attempts and senior jump are common red flags.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we really need to draft is a guy (whatever the position) who has the ability to be a legitimate #1 option on a championship worthy team... Admittedly that's proved, IMO, by the doing. We have a several guys who are good enough to be starters on a championship team (again, IMO : Keldon, White, DJ, maybe Vassel, maybe Samanic, maybe even Tre Jones & Lonnie *). But if we are going to compete, we need that guy. IMO, it's not Demar nor are we going to get said guy through FA/Trade. That leaves the draft, and IMO pushes us towards picking high potential, even if there is more risk...

So, Best Potential Available, regardless of position.

*Note that Poeltl isn't on this list - he is currently fatally flawed. It's not that he has to score a specified amount (KobesAchilles), but he has to be able to shoot at least 60% on FT's, and punish a team that puts a small (=<6'8") on him; he hasn't demonstrated either of those and he's in year 5 in the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Franz but will be drafting in the range of 18 - 23 which probably puts the best available players as Centers and PF so do you draft best talent or need?

It's going to be a weird draft but will start learning on what the Spurs are going to do with LMA, Deroz, Mills, Lyles, Rudy - Just looking at that we could easily be loosing 3 big men in Rudy, LMA, and Lyles - leaving us only Poodle, Eubanks, and Luka.

We set at PG starting and backup - We set at SG starting and backup - We a little thin on SF - We are weak at PF - We are OK at Center but no real backup

Thread Information