View Poll Results: Which position do the Spurs need to strengthen?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Point Guard

0 0%
  • Combo Guard

0 0%
  • Wing

0 0%
  • Big Wing

13 14.94%
  • Athletic Forward

38 43.68%
  • Stretch Big

25 28.74%
  • Anchor Big

11 12.64%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m digging this thread overall, Dejounte.

The challenge I see is that there are certain things we want from a player, which is the easier part, but given our likely draft position, we will likely get a player with either youth/inexperience, or someone with a notable skill who has flaws.

Being a little bit sarcastic, but is there a big man who passes and shoots well but has really bad knees and is slow? We might end up with someone like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m digging this thread overall, Dejounte.

The challenge I see is that there are certain things we want from a player, which is the easier part, but given our likely draft position, we will likely get a player with either youth/inexperience, or someone with a notable skill who has flaws.

Being a little bit sarcastic, but is there a big man who passes and shoots well but has really bad knees and is slow? We might end up with someone like that.
    People are saying this draft is deep and from what I can tell, it IS deep for guards and forwards. Last year's draft was deeper for big men. The real talent pool is from 1 to 15. Everything after is tougher to gauge, but I'm confident the Spurs will pull through again.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Demar for Precious and Duncan Robinson? It fills two needs. My immediate reaction is: yes, please. But why would Miami do this?

(On a tangent, I would look forward to the Pizza Hut commercial with Duncan Robinson delivering a pizza to Tim Duncan and David Robinson.)
    Bonus points if Duncan Robinson wears jersey #71.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually only have a casual fan's exposure to Duncan Robinson lmao

All I know is he lit it up in last year's playoffs.

Check the trade deadline thread, someone said there's a rumor that the Heat want to get DeMar by giving us your boy Precious and Duncan...
    Lol, it's fine, I don't keep up with Miami all that much either. Something about their current team is really unlikeable to me, idk what, maybe Butler and his foul-drawing antics or something. Either way, I don't really see Miami doing that trade sadly... But I don't like Robinson, so maybe it's a W in disguise.

Boy, how'd I like a minor trade where Miami just ships us Achiuwa. I'll be holding out hope...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice thread. At this point I think I'd lean towards BPA. I like what the Spurs have and think Dejounte, White, Vassell, KJ, and Poeltl can all definitely be impact players on a team with a shot at a championship, but we don't have that one dominant guy to build around yet. I'd prefer someone 6'8" or taller so that all of those guys still get their minutes, but if the BPA is shorter I wouldn't be opposed to using Walker + parts to address, say, a PF or C who can shoot, rebound, & play D. I don't think it's impossible for a team that goes seven/eight deep with all positive impact players to beat a team with a superstar or two, but it is less likely. I do like the idea of KJ & Vassell sliding down to SF & SG, where they can have a size advantage, rather than sliding up to PF & SF, where they'd both lose that advantage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More of this guy...

Stretch big -- Possible Luka Samanic replacement? -- Alperen Sengun

Honestly, liking the idea of this guy more and more. Maybe if both he and Luka pan out they can play together. It could be another DJ & White situation but at different positions. The guy is straight up dominating his league as an 18 year old.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Ariel Hukporti. Super athletic C that can shoot the 3 and has real polish to his game. Of course, me saying this means that some team I hate will draft him and he’ll become an immediate all star. But that’s what I want them to do, go get an athletic 5 with modern shooting ability and rim protecting ability to develop for the future. I’ve always been a Spurs fan, and the Spurs have always had a dominant big since David Robinson. I just want that to continue.
    I thought I was the only one. But I've been ready for our next superstar big man since Tim Duncan retired.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More of this guy...

Stretch big -- Possible Luka Samanic replacement? -- Alperen Sengun

Honestly, liking the idea of this guy more and more. Maybe if both he and Luka pan out they can play together. It could be another DJ & White situation but at different positions. The guy is straight up dominating his league as an 18 year old.
    If Sengun falls to us, I would be happy with drafting him. He's the single best player in the Turkish league at 18! That's a men's league where they get paid to win... However, I think he's got a chance to break into the top 5 in this draft, despite how loaded it is.

Another international to watch for would be Yoan Makoundou :

https://jtmbasketball.blogspot.com/2...makoundou.html

He's a major league athlete (the second coming of Clint Capela) with size (7'3.5" wingspan). He's also smart & a good learner; he started playing at 14, and now is good enough to play French Pro A (top league in France) at 20.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming LMA walks after this season we will need someone who can play the 5. We can't close games with Poeltl on the floor when teams decide to play hack-a-Poeltl, and I'm not happy with the idea of Eubanks closing games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming LMA walks after this season we will need someone who can play the 5. We can't close games with Poeltl on the floor when teams decide to play hack-a-Poeltl, and I'm not happy with the idea of Eubanks closing games.
    Anchor big that can actually finish and shoot free throws or stretch big?

I'm leaning on stretch big for a closing 5 to give the offense a little more dynamic. If we just get another Poetl who knows how to finish and can hit free throws and not necessarily add spacing, that wouldn't be bad either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is the draft this year? August?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Early rankings:

Tier 1

Franz Wagner (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Jalen Johnson (Playmaking Big Forward)

Tier 2

Scottie Barnes (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Alperen Sengun (Stretch Big)
    Herb Jones (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Ayo Dosunmu (Combo Guard)

Tier 3

Ziaire Williams (Wing)
    Greg Brown (Athletic Forward)
    Sandro Mamukelashvili (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Amar Sylla (Athletic Forward)
    Isaiah Todd (Stretch Big)

Tier 4

Kai Jones (Stretch Big)
    Brandon Boston Jr. (Wing)
    Usman Garuba (Athletic Forward)
    Vrenz Bleijenbergh (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Trendon Watford (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Isaiah Jackson (Anchor Big)

Tier 5

Terrence Shannon Jr (Wing)

Doesn't include projected top 10 players like Mobley, Cunningham, Kuminga, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stretch Big - Potential Luka Samanic replacement - Isaiah Todd

Athletic forward - fills rim rolling need and adds weakside blocking - Usman Garuba

Stretch big - potential Luka replacement: Alperen Sengun

Where are these three being slotted in mock drafts, DeJounte? I'd love these type of players but my only concern is they have a high propensity to bust.

Still, the team definitely needs more size, athleticism & interior defense to all our guard depth.

Also, I don't think the team is in the "replacement finding" mode and are just stocking piling assets/talent looking for their next star. Sorry, I know it is just semantics but I'm neurotic like that....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Todd is not even being mocked right now, but I suspect he will be a riser

Usman is consistently in the 15-25 range, same as Alperen (though Alperen is rising up to 10 lately)
    J_Paco

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Usman is consistently in the 15-25 range, same as Alperen (though Alperen is rising up to 10 lately)
    J_Paco
    Todd looks physically a lot like Garnett or Bosh and seems to have a mid - range game too. Has he shown the ability to make them out to three - point range?

And other than an elite, playmaking, shot creating combo forward (ala Doncic, Nephew, Butler, George, Durant, James etc.) (duh, all the non - le contending want this type) the biggest need is a multi - skilled big man that can stretch the floor and/or rim run.

Neither is easily obtained but are what we really lack since I like all our current young guys.

Luka could provide the latter but bringing in another prospect that can push or surpass him in the hierarchy isn't a bad strategy. I'm hopeful you're right and Pop finds minutes for him with the team extremely shorthanded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Todd looks physically a lot like Garnett or Bosh and seems to have a mid - range game too. Has he shown the ability to make them out to three - point range?

And other than an elite, playmaking, shot creating combo forward (ala Doncic, Nephew, Butler, George, Durant, James etc.) (duh, all the non - le contending want this type) the biggest need is a multi - skilled big man that can stretch the floor and/or rim run.

Neither is easily obtained but are what we really lack since I like all our current young guys.

Luka could provide the latter but bringing in another prospect that can push or surpass him in the hierarchy isn't a bad strategy. I'm hopeful you're right and Pop finds minutes for him with the team extremely shorthanded.
    I'm with you. Todd certainly looks the part. I haven't seen a complete game of his, but maybe something is off that we aren't seeing on the surface. Like perhaps his defense isn't good. And yes, I've seen him hit threes.

Like I've been saying since the season started, this upcoming offseason will be the biggest and most exciting one yet. We'll know what the Spurs are going to commit to for a long time starting this offseason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with you. Todd certainly looks the part. I haven't seen a complete game of his, but maybe something is off that we aren't seeing on the surface. Like perhaps his defense isn't good. And yes, I've seen him hit threes.

Like I've been saying since the season started, this upcoming offseason will be the biggest and most exciting one yet. We'll know what the Spurs are going to commit to for a long time starting this offseason.
    A stretch big would be nice.

Now I wouldn't be against finding a Lonnie Walker replacement either if the right guy falls to us...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A stretch big would be nice.

Now I wouldn't be against finding a Lonnie Walker replacement either if the right guy falls to us...
    I'd say ideally, the Lonnie Walker replacement (starting SG spot, for now that is) is already on the team - Vassell. They don't have exactly similar games, but if Vassell improves his driving and ball-handling skills, he could become a secondary creator off the dribble consistently, beyond his already good shooting and excellent defensive presence. His size and length would be heightened advantages playing at the 2 instead of the 3, the same for Keldon if he could move down to SF, in a case where the Spurs either get Collins in FA, or draft a promising, high-floor PF like Wagner.

I still think White's ideal role is leading the bench unit first (maybe as a ball-handling SG alongside Tre, we'll see how that goes) then staggering his minutes to play alongside DJ as needed, depending on the opposite teams' strength at the 1-2. So a SL of Murray-Vassell-Keldon-Wagner-Poeltl offers you smothering defense, switchability and length at every position, a good amount of shooters (all of them would have to up their shooting volume a bit, except for Poeltl of course) and ball-handlers.s

If Lonnie doesn't pick it up soon enough, and the Spurs start to look elsewhere on the team to fill his position, he really could be on the outside looking in starting next season. This will be by far Lonnie's most important off-season...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

J_Paco
    About Todd not being mocked, from today's ESPN article:

Isaiah Todd: From afterthought to first-rounder?
    Todd has helped himself as much as any player in the bubble so far. After entering the G League season projected to go undrafted, he has dropped enough glimpses of potential that some executives are openly considering his candidacy as a first-round pick.

There aren't many big men in the G League who have shown better perimeter shooting ability than the 6-foot-10 Todd has thus far, hitting 39% of his 3-point attempts. He has picture-perfect mechanics both with his feet set and even off movement -- Todd can pull up off the dribble or come off a screen (mostly midrange curls) in small doses. There's a theoretical quality to Todd's game that doesn't fully translate to game settings just yet, but watching him in warm-ups or drill situations reveals a very high skill level that could potentially be honed into a real weapon over time.

For as interesting as Todd's shooting stroke is, he's a fairly limited offensive player at this time, as evidenced by his poor 40% 2-point percentage, and the fact that he has dished out just 3 assists in 202 minutes of action thus far, ranking dead last among all players in assist percentage in the ESPN top-100 prospect rankings. It's difficult to find many power forwards in the NBA who have such limited ability to make decisions on the fly and make plays out of simple actions -- this is by far the biggest thing he'll have to work on. Patterning his game on NBA players such as JaMychal Green and Bobby Portis will likely represent Todd's best path to success.

Defensively, Todd has unquestionably been the Ignite's hardest-working player so far. He's blessed with outstanding mobility that allows him to cover ground seamlessly on closeouts, get back in transition to challenge shots at the rim and even sit down in a stance and slide his feet against smaller players on switches much more effectively than you'd expect.

Todd isn't much of a playmaker on the defensive end, averaging a paltry 7.5 rebounds, 0.6 steals and 0.8 blocks per 40 minutes, which underscores his lack of length (7-foot-1 wingspan) and the fact that the game simply moves too fast for him at this stage -- something that has long been considered his biggest weakness. While he plays hard, he's not a very physical big man on top of that, partially due to his slender frame. While theoretically you'd like to see a big man his size slide up to the center position at times in smaller, stretchier lineups, there are real question marks about whether Todd's frame and lack of defensive rebounding will allow him to do so, which renders him less versatile than most teams want to see from a modern big man.

Many eyebrows were raised around the basketball industry when Todd opted to forgo a scholarship at Michigan for the G League Ignite program, but that decision appears to be paying off in a major way thus far. It's unclear what kind of role he would have had for a stacked Michigan frontcourt, or how well his style of play would have fit into its offense. There's no question that the uptempo style of play of the G League suits his game better, helping Todd solidify his standing as a potential draft pick, and possibly even as a first-round pick depending on how the rest of his season and the pre-draft process goes.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...nba-next-stars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playmaking Big Forward - Potential Spurs Starting Four - Franz Wagner

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He looks better and better everytime I see him...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What pick range do you think he ends up going at, D? Wagner looks to be everything the Spurs could wish for at the 4. Would love to draft him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What pick range do you think he ends up going at, D? Wagner looks to be everything the Spurs could wish for at the 4. Would love to draft him.
    The Grizzlies draft well, so whatever draft position they end up at will be Wagner's lower limit... As far as how high, well I guess it depends how far Wagner's team goes in the tournament. I don't think his skills alone (because it isn't flashy enough) can vault him into the top 10. His team will have to garner enough media attention for him to be recognized by everyone. Obviously he won't end up top 5, so we look at which teams are likely to draft 6-15...

-Kings already have Woodard
    -Magic might need him, but they might fall in love with Scottie Barnes since he might remind them of their T-Mac days
    -Pelicans have a tendency of drafting flashier guys, I think
    -I could see Atlanta taking him
    -Celtics are loaded at his position, so not them
    -Thunder might take him because Presti, but the Poku pick tells me they'd rather swing for the fences
    -Knicks don't look like they take players like Wagner, especially after their multiple Euro busts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he could go to any of those teams you mentioned if they are ahead of us in the draft. So who would be your 2nd option?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he could go to any of those teams you mentioned if they are ahead of us in the draft. So who would be your 2nd option?
    How'd you gather that from what I posted? Haha, I was saying I think only Grizzlies, Hawks, and Thunder might be the main threats to taking Wagner.

As far as who is my next option after Wagner, I posted this earlier:

Tier 1

Franz Wagner (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Jalen Johnson (Playmaking Big Forward)

Tier 2

Scottie Barnes (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Alperen Sengun (Stretch Big)
    Herb Jones (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Ayo Dosunmu (Combo Guard)

Tier 3

Ziaire Williams (Wing)
    Greg Brown (Athletic Forward)
    Sandro Mamukelashvili (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Amar Sylla (Athletic Forward)
    Isaiah Todd (Stretch Big)

Tier 4

Kai Jones (Stretch Big)
    Brandon Boston Jr. (Wing)
    Usman Garuba (Athletic Forward)
    Vrenz Bleijenbergh (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Trendon Watford (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Isaiah Jackson (Anchor Big)

Tier 5

Terrence Shannon Jr (Wing)

So, Jalen Johnson would be next despite his character concerns... and if he's not there, just move down the list and so forth.

Thread Information