View Poll Results: Which position do the Spurs need to strengthen?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Point Guard

0 0%
  • Combo Guard

0 0%
  • Wing

0 0%
  • Big Wing

13 14.94%
  • Athletic Forward

38 43.68%
  • Stretch Big

25 28.74%
  • Anchor Big

11 12.64%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks slow footed to me, and the league mandates guarding out to three and pick and roll. Other than that skill set looks pretty awesome. Referring to the Turk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How'd you gather that from what I posted? Haha, I was saying I think only Grizzlies, Hawks, and Thunder might be the main threats to taking Wagner.

As far as who is my next option after Wagner, I posted this earlier:

Tier 1

Franz Wagner (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Jalen Johnson (Playmaking Big Forward)

Tier 2

Scottie Barnes (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Alperen Sengun (Stretch Big)
    Herb Jones (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Ayo Dosunmu (Combo Guard)

Tier 3

Ziaire Williams (Wing)
    Greg Brown (Athletic Forward)
    Sandro Mamukelashvili (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Amar Sylla (Athletic Forward)
    Isaiah Todd (Stretch Big)

Tier 4

Kai Jones (Stretch Big)
    Brandon Boston Jr. (Wing)
    Usman Garuba (Athletic Forward)
    Vrenz Bleijenbergh (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Trendon Watford (Playmaking Big Forward)
    Isaiah Jackson (Anchor Big)

Tier 5

Terrence Shannon Jr (Wing)

So, Jalen Johnson would be next despite his character concerns... and if he's not there, just move down the list and so forth.
    I forgot: what does Playmaking Big Forward equate to in the poll? Can't figure it out for some reason....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot: what does Playmaking Big Forward equate to in the poll? Can't figure it out for some reason....
    Big Wing (also refer to opening post for description)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What should the Spurs be looking for?

A long, athletic 3 who can also play defense and fling from downtown. He can slide up the position tree or he can go down. And he never complains.

Just like every other team in the league.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What should the Spurs be looking for?

A long, athletic 3 who can also play defense and fling from downtown. He can slide up the position tree or he can go down. And he never complains.

Just like every other team in the league.
    Isn’t Keldon fairly close to that? Not great outside shooting but decent. I still see a 4 who can pass and shoot being the priority, even if not superbly athletic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Franz is a big wing and you're calling Renfro an Athletic Forward?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Franz is a big wing and you're calling Renfro an Athletic Forward?
    Yes, because Franz can handle the ball for longer stretches and Renfro is a high flyer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins would fit one huge need.

we basically need a guy to fill the role we hope samanic will, and a guy to play the role Lonnie was meant to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, because Franz can handle the ball for longer stretches and Renfro is a high flyer.
    *Quickly Google's 'nba vernacular "high flyer" '*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *Quickly Google's 'nba vernacular "high flyer" '*
    Player who relies more on his jumping ability to make things happen, usually for easy shots on offense (players can throw lobs on offense, or he can dunk the ball) or blocks the ball in a way most other players can't (they'll keep up with the player with their exceptional speed and their explosive jumping ability)

Think Athletic Forwards as your Blake Griffins, Amare Stoudamires, Shawn Kemps

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three of the mentioned prospects (G. Brown, K. Jones, T.Shannon Jr.) are on local TV (CBS) right now

Edit: ugh, Greg Brown taking ill-advised shots
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh boy,

Kai and Greg both having little to no impact on this game. Probably will drop these guys a tier or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Player who relies more on his jumping ability to make things happen, usually for easy shots on offense (players can throw lobs on offense, or he can dunk the ball) or blocks the ball in a way most other players can't (they'll keep up with the player with their exceptional speed and their explosive jumping ability)

Think Athletic Forwards as your Blake Griffins, Amare Stoudamires, Shawn Kemps
    This list reads more like "guys who relied too heavily on physical gifts to the detriment of developing all around skills." 38 seasons between them and zero rings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This list reads more like "guys who relied too heavily on physical gifts to the detriment of developing all around skills." 38 seasons between them and zero rings.
    Agreed. That's why my preference is more for guys with skill. An athletic forward like that has a place on a roster, but not where they are a focal point on a team. I think the current Spurs roster would benefit having a guy like that though.

I think it's worth noting that those types are more attainable for cheap (Renfro) and probably not a type a team should invest in with a first round pick.

There WAS a time in the NBA that teams would throw ten first round picks at it though. Not these days.

To me, priority goes like this:

1) Big Wing aka Playmaking Big Forward (who could play the four part-time or full-time)
    2) Stretch Big, to add depth in that area if nothing else
    3) Wing
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-27-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... 38 seasons between them and zero rings.
    Dude, that's the fate of the vast majority of NBA players. Only those guys who are lucky enough to end up on the right team at the right time get rings. You need:

What we really need to draft is a guy (whatever the position) who has the ability to be a legitimate #1 option on a championship worthy team... Admittedly that's proved, IMO, by the doing. We have a several guys who are good enough to be starters on a championship team (again, IMO : Keldon, White, DJ, maybe Vassel, maybe Samanic, maybe even Tre Jones & Lonnie *). But if we are going to compete, we need that guy. IMO, it's not Demar nor are we going to get said guy through FA/Trade. That leaves the draft, and IMO pushes us towards picking high potential, even if there is more risk...

So, Best Potential Available, regardless of position.
    Finding that guy, especially through later picks, is HARD, so I suspect we should all get ready for some busts...or at least long development cycles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, that's the fate of the vast majority of NBA players. Only those guys who are lucky enough to end up on the right team at the right time get rings. You need:

Finding that guy, especially through later picks, is HARD, so I suspect we should all get ready for some busts...or at least long development cycles.
    Derrick
    Murray
    Johnson

Samanic (TBD)
    Lonnie (TBD)

I'd lean more towards "long development cycle" with the Spurs batting 60%. Given the track record, it should teach people to be more patient with prospects going forward now that the Spurs are earning our confidence (they should have already earned it with Kawhi, Manu, Tony, but most people here will call those selections a fluke for some reason).

Batting 60% from where the Spurs select in the draft? Really ing impressive.

Edit: Forgot Vassell, and he looks like a successful pick. It would make the Spurs batting record at 66%.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-27-2021 at 01:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, that's the fate of the vast majority of NBA players. Only those guys who are lucky enough to end up on the right team at the right time get rings.

Granted, but these are three of the best ever of that description at that position. Amare had a two time MVP PG, a very good all around SF, and some very good shooters & role players. Griffin had a top PG, as did Kemp, and both had some pretty good role players too. I'd say the reason these guys didn't win is because they themselves had fundamental flaws as first option guys. The best PFs of recent eras who relied on all around fundamentals rather than pure athleticism fared much better with regards to rings: Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Pau, Rasheed, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Too smooth.

rankingtear still think he can't shoot?

Last edited by Dejounte; 02-27-2021 at 03:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Include draft assets in anyway to move away from Veterans.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rankingtear still think he can't shoot?
    I said that for Renfro. Stationary shooting is the concern for Wagner.

Him shooting 50% is bittersweet for you that means he would go higher. That was the concern for him coming in shooting and footspeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said that for Renfro. Stationary shooting is the concern for Wagner.

Him shooting 50% is bittersweet for you that means he would go higher. That was the concern for him coming in shooting and footspeed.
    Ahh trust me it was a longshot anyway, not just in terms of draft positioning but the idea that the Spurs would like the same guy I liked out of 30 other guys in the first round. It's all fun for me and I enjoy watching these kids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playmaking Big Forward - Lesser version of Robert Woodard II? - Trendon Watford

mo7888

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Using Dejounte's original post:

Red Font: Won't be back
    Blue Font: Will be back
    Green Font: 2-way
    Lime Font: Borderline

Point guard:
    Dejounte Murray
    Tre Jones
    2021 Draft Prospects: ???

Combo guard:
    Derrick White
    Patty Mills
    Lonnie Walker

Quinndary Weatherspoon

2021 Draft Prospects: Ayo Dosunmu

Wing:
    Devin Vassell

2021 Draft Prospects: Brandon Boston Jr., Ziaire Williams
    Intriguing Spurs G-League Player: Cam Reynolds

Big Wing (or Playmaking Big Forward):
    DeMar DeRozan
    Keldon Johnson
    Rudy Gay
    Keita Bates-Diop
    2021 Draft Prospects: Franz Wagner, Herbert Jones, Vrenz Bleijenbergh, Trendon Watford, Sandro Mamukelashvili

Athletic Forward:
    Nate Renfro (2-way)

2021 Draft Prospects: Ariel Hukporti, Greg Brown, Amar Sylla, Usman Garuba

Stretch Big:
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Luka Samanic
    Trey Lyles

2021 Draft Prospects: Kai Jones, Isaiah Todd, Alperen Sengun

Anchor Big:
    Jakob Poeltl
    Drew Eubanks

2021 Draft Prospects: Jay Huff, Isaiah Jackson, Oscar da Silva
    Intriguing Spurs G-League Player: Kylor Kelley

I see 11 blue fonts - so 11 on the roster + 2 draft picks = 13 slots taken up. Add to this DMDR (I'd only want him if he's giving a BIG discount) and we are at 14. That leaves us 1 FA to pursue or to leave open depending on where we sit with the luxury tax. Not sure if KBD could be on a 2-way, but that would wrap up our 2-ways as well.

So not really much of a shot at having an eventful off season in signings, but that is how we roll around here. Now we just need an analysis on how this falls out salary-wise and how much we have to sign DMDR and any FA (I'm assuming the mid-level exception for any FA).

If DMDR falls through, then Collins is a possibility, but I don't want to pay max on him either.

Seems like the focus really needs to be on Wing, Big Wing, and Athletic Forward in the draft.
    Last edited by bluebellmaniac; 02-28-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playmaking Big Forward - Lesser version of Robert Woodard II? - Trendon Watford

mo7888
    He's a solid player...a little taller but the same wingspan. I see him as more of a 4 and Woodard as a 3 that can play the 4...he's probably a little better playmaker than Woodard but Woodard is the better shooter and I think has better defensive insticts. So, basically I agree with your comp... good catch...

One other thing Woodard has going for him is that he's a good kid who's immensely Coac a. I'm not saying Watford isn't I'm just not familiar with that part of his makeup.

Thread Information