Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would be cool if they keep going beyond the elite GOAT players, I'd love to see one for Manu and Nash, or on coaches

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yes, that seems to be his opinion if you listen to his Thinking Basketball podcast.

I do agree that Garnett's malleability, versatility & perimeter defensive skills are superior. Yet, Duncan's game was easier to construct championship teams around. And he was the more dominant interior scorer - apparently, Garnett was more efficient in the post - and his interior defense was superior.

I love both, but I'd take Timmy first every time in an all-time greats draft.
    Being a more “efficient” post scorer isn’t saying much when you rarely post up. It’s like comparing Embiid to Davis nowadays.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-23-2021 at 11:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being a more “efficient” post scorer isn’t saying much when you rarely post up. It’s like comparing Embiid to Davis nowadays.
    I totally agree and it isn't my argument, but thaose are his arguments and how I've interpreted them.

I definitely disagree with most of his argument of Garnett having superior "championship scalability" since Duncan won with disparately different rosters & schemes.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I totally agree and it isn't my argument, but thaose are his arguments and how I've interpreted them.

I definitely disagree with most of his argument of Garnett having superior "championship scalability" since Duncan won with disparately different rosters & schemes.
    Garnett was basically the Gary Payton archetype, in that he was essentially able to do everything at a high level but wasn’t elite at anything specific on offense that would bend the defense. They also didn’t have the mentality to become volume scorers when necessary just like Sheed. They are all overqualified wingmen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great video of a basketball savant. Used to resent Duncan because he was taking shine away from Robinson but looking back, he was the near perfect player on and off the court. Would've made any team a contender because of this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, the fact that TD racked up most of his accomplishments on 1 leg just adds to his greatness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Used to resent Duncan because he was taking shine away from Robinson .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, tell that to Ben Taylor cause it's 2021 and he's of the (informed & well thought out) opinion that they are close. And from watching the two videos (Garnett's & Duncan's) & listening to his podcast it seems he would take Garnett over TD.

I think it's closer in a lot of analysts and pundits minds whether Spur fans like it or not. And it'll likely only shrink as time goes by and Pop, Tony, Manu & Nephew end up in the hall of fame.

Mind you, I completely disagree and think Duncan is clearly the better player by a good margin.
    You know why we don't have to worry about Garnett ever being remembered as better than Duncan?

Tim was 10x All-NBA First Team. Kevin was 4x. Same position and same timeframe, so they were in direct compe ion. And only ONE of Kevin's selections was not shared with Tim (2008), while Tim was chosen over Kevin 7 times.

Case closed.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 02-26-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know why we don't have to worry about Garnett ever being remembered as better than Duncan?

Tim was 10x All-NBA First Team. Kevin was 4x. Same position and same timeframe, so they were in direct compe ion. And only ONE of Kevin's selections was not shared with Tim (2008), while Tim was chosen over Kevin 7 times.

Case closed.
    That's it and that's all!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already the greatest PF ever. But it bothers me to think that he could’ve been the greatest ever if nephew didn’t miss that with a better supporting cast like many so called superstars have today. Not getting the DPOY was a mockery and should be rectify somewhat when they name him in the HOF, that Timmy was one of the best defensive big that has ever played the game. While DRob made me a Spurs fan, Manu made me love the Spurs, I vould always count Timmy with “my Spurs would beat your best team,” because to me he was the best. My friend and I had an arguement who to draft as a franchise player knowing what we know now. He picked LeBron because of his 10 Finals appearance. I picked 19 straight, never missing one playoffs, 5-1 finals, no drama, no superstar diva, Timothy Theodore “The Big Fundamental” Duncan all day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already the greatest PF ever. But it bothers me to think that he could’ve been the greatest ever if nephew didn’t miss that with a better supporting cast like many so called superstars have today. Not getting the DPOY was a mockery and should be rectify somewhat when they name him in the HOF, that Timmy was one of the best defensive big that has ever played the game. While DRob made me a Spurs fan, Manu made me love the Spurs, I vould always count Timmy with “my Spurs would beat your best team,” because to me he was the best. My friend and I had an arguement who to draft as a franchise player knowing what we know now. He picked LeBron because of his 10 Finals appearance. I picked 19 straight, never missing one playoffs, 5-1 finals, no drama, no superstar diva, Timothy Theodore “The Big Fundamental” Duncan all day.
    Regardless of where you rank him, I put him as a Top 5 modern player. If you wanna go back through NBA history, there is a argument for top 10 with stiff compe ion...Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Magic, etc. Then you have the Durants and Currys who are trying to break into that list but I don't think they are there yet.

There are arguments to be made about how you want to arrange your list, but just to say that I got to watch the entire career of one of the best 5 players ever (in my mind) and witness 5 championships will always be satisfying.
    Last edited by Dex; 02-27-2021 at 10:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone arguing against that have either forgotten or never saw Tim in his prime. He was never a flashy scorer and would score allot of quiet points , there were games where I would think he had scored only 10 or so points but then I would look at the stats and see he had scored about 30, but also when needed he could take over the game at will and completely dominate a quarter or two, and even the full game if that was needed of him.

He is only lower in many people's minds because his mentality was always about the team and not about individual stats and achievements.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a nice PTR article from yesterday:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021...FlyUCkSznI64yM

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except for that missed putback in game 5 of the finals against Detroit lol. Though, tbh I don’t really think much of that miss, considering how that series was going at that point. TD is, was and will always be among the game’s best.
    dude was playing on a. Twice sprained ankle that during the season would’ve sat him about a month and was still putting up those numbers, against a defender in Wallace that defended him about the best ive ever seen him defended. I’m sure Timvp would remember a better or as equal one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude was playing on a. Twice sprained ankle that during the season would’ve sat him about a month and was still putting up those numbers, against a defender in Wallace that defended him about the best ive ever seen him defended. I’m sure Timvp would remember a better or as equal one.
    Actually, both of his ankles were sprained, which made his performance that much more impressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garnett was never better than Tim. Simply for the fact that he's not a first option like Tim. It was close back in the day, but Tim's rings speak for itself. KG had to ride Paul Pierce coat tails to get a chip
    EHHHH

yeah he took a small step back when he changed teams at his age 31 season. duncan started taking a back seat around the same age too

garnett's wolves were pretty lacking for talent. the one year they had a good team by their standards it was Sprewell and Cassell

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one I've never heard before. Do you have a link?
    I remember that happening as well. But as far as links go, this was all I could find:

https://www.spursdynasty.com/2006/06...ogize-for.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EHHHH

yeah he took a small step back when he changed teams at his age 31 season. duncan started taking a back seat around the same age too

garnett's wolves were pretty lacking for talent. the one year they had a good team by their standards it was Sprewell and Cassell
    the one year Duncan won the chip and beat the Lakers his 2nd best player was Stephen Jackson. Garnett as a first option never did anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the one year Duncan won the chip and beat the Lakers his 2nd best player was Stephen Jackson. Garnett as a first option never did anything
    garnett made it to the WCF the year after that

enrique, manu, and even bowen averaged more ppg than jackson in the lakers series (the real finals)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great little video about Duncan in his prime.

I miss Timmy
    That made me emotional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd add two things:

1. Duncan usually had one of the best Block/Foul ratios in the NBA, so even when a few other bigs averaged more blocks per game, they rarely showed Duncan's extreme efficiency. No one was better at avoiding fouls on unrealistic block attempts than Duncan.

2. Duncan played his entire career for a very frugal owner. During the peak years of the Spurs vs the Lakers rivalry, the Lakers outspent the Spurs by many many millions of dollars. Stephen Jackson walked after '03 due to a small offer, and almost no major FAs headed to the unglamorous town of San Antonio. The '13 & '14 Miami Heat teams that the Spurs split championships with in back to back match ups also outspent them by a significant amount. Duncan's five rings are all the more amazing because it was done while being handcuffed by some of the most frugal ownership in the league.

Thread Information