Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great little video about Duncan in his prime.

I miss Timmy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing video. Thanks. 20 ing years ago. Damn.

Also really entertaining to watch the breakdown of old Spurs defenses... So many intricacies. Will never understand the discredit to Pop given by some people here. He was an X's and O's mastermind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I instantly shared this video across social media when it was posted, because more people should know that Peak Duncan stands with ANY player in the history of the game.

This whole Greatest Peaks series on the Thinking Basketball channel is full of excellent analysis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timmy never failed us, when we needed a bucket he got it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timmy never failed us, when we needed a bucket he got it
    Except for that missed putback in game 5 of the finals against Detroit lol. Though, tbh I don’t really think much of that miss, considering how that series was going at that point. TD is, was and will always be among the game’s best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except for that missed putback in game 5 of the finals against Detroit lol. Though, tbh I don’t really think much of that miss, considering how that series was going at that point. TD is, was and will always be among the game’s best.
    Well the 13 finals missed bunny too. Very rare tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh. I.. missed that one.. lol I guess I remember the Detroit one more simply because of TD’s reaction of having missed that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I generally enjoyed it. Having watched the Garnett one that came out before it, however, it seemed as though the takeaway was that Garnett was *slightly* better than TD at his peak, with a much worse supporting cast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is known!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I generally enjoyed it. Having watched the Garnett one that came out before it, however, it seemed as though the takeaway was that Garnett was *slightly* better than TD at his peak, with a much worse supporting cast.
    Yes, that seems to be his opinion if you listen to his Thinking Basketball podcast.

I do agree that Garnett's malleability, versatility & perimeter defensive skills are superior. Yet, Duncan's game was easier to construct championship teams around. And he was the more dominant interior scorer - apparently, Garnett was more efficient in the post - and his interior defense was superior.

I love both, but I'd take Timmy first every time in an all-time greats draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2003 pretty much ended any debate between Garnet and Tim. Tim had arguably the weakest supporting cast of the era and is one of 4 players (I think it’s only 4) to win a championship without another all star on the team. People always say well Garnett would have the same amount of rings but that is a stupid argument seeing as Tim smacked Garnett out of the playoffs in 99. 2003, Garnett couldn’t get out of the first round with Tim’s team. And by 2005 the culture of the T-wolves was shot. Also he would’ve gotten punked by the Wallace brothers. The only ring I think Garnett could lead us to was in 2006 and 7. That’s it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2006 game 7 against Dallas. after manu fouled drik, duncan got ing stonewalled by DeSagana Diop in OT

1-7 shooting + a turnover in OT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2006 game 7 against Dallas. after manu fouled drik, duncan got ing stonewalled by DeSagana Diop in OT

that is true but diop coulda stopped wilt that day.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Dream had the greatest peak in NBA history, but Duncan was close tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2003 pretty much ended any debate between Garnet and Tim. Tim had arguably the weakest supporting cast of the era and is one of 4 players (I think it’s only 4) to win a championship without another all star on the team. People always say well Garnett would have the same amount of rings but that is a stupid argument seeing as Tim smacked Garnett out of the playoffs in 99. 2003, Garnett couldn’t get out of the first round with Tim’s team. And by 2005 the culture of the T-wolves was shot. Also he would’ve gotten punked by the Wallace brothers. The only ring I think Garnett could lead us to was in 2006 and 7. That’s it.
    Well, tell that to Ben Taylor cause it's 2021 and he's of the (informed & well thought out) opinion that they are close. And from watching the two videos (Garnett's & Duncan's) & listening to his podcast it seems he would take Garnett over TD.

I think it's closer in a lot of analysts and pundits minds whether Spur fans like it or not. And it'll likely only shrink as time goes by and Pop, Tony, Manu & Nephew end up in the hall of fame.

Mind you, I completely disagree and think Duncan is clearly the better player by a good margin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that is true but diop coulda stopped wilt that day.
    Timmy clearly ran out of gas after carrying the team to an epic comeback. Can't blame him for eventually wearing out especially with how physical people were allowed to play him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy clearly ran out of gas after carrying the team to an epic comeback. Can't blame him for eventually wearing out especially with how physical people were allowed to play him.
    He had to be taken to hospital and put on a drip after the game to re-hydrate. He gave it everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another point: although this was unrelated to the question of Duncan’s peak, was it really fair for TB to downplay Tim’s offensive role in the 2005-2010ish Spurs offense? I recall Tim’s versatility being incredibly important in the 05 and 07 series against the Sun’s for instance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I would like to see the context for TB’s statement about Tim’s midrange game. Even if Tim was a below league average Midrange shooter, is that adjusted for position? I feel like Tim was at the very least an above average midrange shooter for a power forward — adjusted for shot contests and the like.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I'd say Dream had the greatest peak in NBA history, but Duncan was close tbh
    Just like I think

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garnett was never better than Tim. Simply for the fact that he's not a first option like Tim. It was close back in the day, but Tim's rings speak for itself. KG had to ride Paul Pierce coat tails to get a chip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, tell that to Ben Taylor cause it's 2021 and he's of the (informed & well thought out) opinion that they are close. And from watching the two videos (Garnett's & Duncan's) & listening to his podcast it seems he would take Garnett over TD.

I think it's closer in a lot of analysts and pundits minds whether Spur fans like it or not. And it'll likely only shrink as time goes by and Pop, Tony, Manu & Nephew end up in the hall of fame.

Mind you, I completely disagree and think Duncan is clearly the better player by a good margin.
    It’s mainly bc it’s easy to say a blanket statement like KG would have the same amount of rings as TD if he had been drafted by the Spurs. But when you go year by year it’s almost impossible to back that up.
    98-03? No
    04 his mvp year? Nope Pop got out coached and nobody could hit an outside shot. KG wouldn’t have changed that. He also never would’ve hit that shot over Shaq
    05? Nope.
    06? pretty good chance for a ring
    same For 07.
    08 Manu was hurt and Lakers had Gasol so probably not
    09 he was hurt and by 10 he was done

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do believe that TD was better during their respective primes overall, but I don't think the 08 season qualifies here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had to be taken to hospital and put on a drip after the game to re-hydrate. He gave it everything.
    That's one I've never heard before. Do you have a link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn, yeah I just found this channel today and was going to post it if no where already. Really great listen, good

Thread Information