My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A group of about three dozen Democrats in the House have signed a letter calling for President Joe Biden to give up his sole authority to authorize the launch of nuclear weapons, which was obtained by Politico.

"Vesting one person with this authority entails real risks," reads the letter, which was spearheaded by Rep. Jimmy Panetta, D-Calif., according to Politico. "Past presidents have threatened to attack other countries with nuclear weapons or exhibited behavior that caused other officials to express concern about the president’s judgment."

The letter continues, “While any president would presumably consult with advisors before ordering a nuclear attack, there is no requirement to do so. The military is obligated to carry out the order if they assess it is legal under the laws of war. Under the current posture of U.S. nuclear forces, that attack would happen in minutes.”

The congressman said in a tweet on Wednesday: “ICYMI: I'm calling on @POTUS to install checks & balances in our nuclear command-and-control structure. Past presidents have threatened nuclear attacks on other countries or exhibited concerning behavior that cast doubt on their judgment.”

The Democrats suggest several alternatives to the president’s sole authority, including requiring other officials in the presidential line of succession, specifically the vice president and the House Speaker, neither of whom can be removed by the president if they disagree — to concur with a launch order.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ducks, he clearly says "Past presidents have threatened nuclear attacks on other countries or exhibited concerning behavior that cast doubt on their judgment".

And he's right. But what Congress needs to really do is rescind the AUMF(s) handed to the Executive and regain the power to declare and authorize the use of force.

Thread Information