Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think DDR is a role player but he plays an important role. I don't think he can lead a team to a championship but, I do think he can be part of a championship team as a the 3rd best player on a team. As for the Spurs, ddr has done a good job bringing our young guys along and that should be commended. Going forward I'm fine with keeping him and I'm fine with letting him go or trading him, it just depends on what we want to do as an organization. Do we strictly want to develop these kids and hope for one to develop into a high level star or do we want to cash in two or three and trade for a star? If we go development then we won't need ddr after this year but, we should realize that the only guys on the roster with true 'star' talent are Lonnie, Luka, and possibly Keldon (with a ton of work on his shot) and all of them have a ways to go to become that. The trading route would include packaging White, Lonnie, or Keldon with picks for a top end talent to pair with ddr (think Beal or someone similar).

In either case, the young guys have developed so well that we need to make a decision on a direction by the draft. We've got enough cap space and contracts large enough (white $17M/year or Murray $16M/year) to attach with picks to make a strong offer for any top player that becomes tradeable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think DDR is a role player but he plays an important role. I don't think he can lead a team to a championship but, I do think he can be part of a championship team as a the 3rd best player on a team. As for the Spurs, ddr has done a good job bringing our young guys along and that should be commended. Going forward I'm fine with keeping him and I'm fine with letting him go or trading him, it just depends on what we want to do as an organization. Do we strictly want to develop these kids and hope for one to develop into a high level star or do we want to cash in two or three and trade for a star? If we go development then we won't need ddr after this year but, we should realize that the only guys on the roster with true 'star' talent are Lonnie, Luka, and possibly Keldon (with a ton of work on his shot) and all of them have a ways to go to become that. The trading route would include packaging White, Lonnie, or Keldon with picks for a top end talent to pair with ddr (think Beal or someone similar).

In either case, the young guys have developed so well that we need to make a decision on a direction by the draft. We've got enough cap space and contracts large enough (white $17M/year or Murray $16M/year) to attach with picks to make a strong offer for any top player that becomes tradeable.
    I’m pretty confident Walker IV and Luka will never be stars. I agree with alot of what yiu say above at some point developing all these mid to late first round picks becomes excessive. Only so many minutes to go around. Now is a good time to explore moving a young player or two and some picks for the next disgruntled star, I’d just prefer to keep DJ, Keldon and Vassel if I had to choose.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty confident Walker IV and Luka will never be stars. I agree with alot of what yiu say above at some point developing all these mid to late first round picks becomes excessive. Only so many minutes to go around. Now is a good time to explore moving a young player or two and some picks for the next disgruntled star, I’d just prefer to keep DJ, Keldon and Vassel if I had to choose.
    Would you rate Bradley Beal as a star? He's one player I am very interested in getting. What do you guys think of Beal? Would he be worth it, and/or would the price be too steep? I think the Clippers tried to get him before getting Paul George, and I think they would have been a better team if they were able to trade for him instead. I mean, on paper Paul George is the more logical choice when the best players in the NBA right now are SF/PF hybrids, but I still think Beal is a better player than PG. I don't know, PG could prove me wrong these playoffs, but I've never been impressed with him come playoff time (despite his playoff failures, I was still a fan of PG until these previous playoffs, as I like his overall game and keep thinking he'll turn a corner, but last year's playoffs have made me to start doubting he'll reach his full potential. I guess we will see this time around).
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-02-2021 at 10:36 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a secret.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing for clarity... I'm not predicting Lonnie or Luka will be stars... I'm just saying they are the only ones we have with the physical traits to reach that level.... to actually do it requires a mentality and work ethic that we haven't seen(and may never see)

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR can’t be the only alpha on the team. I’m ok with Dejounte taking some of that responsibility, especially when DDR goes cold and gets frustrated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you rate Bradley Beal as a star? He's one player I am very interested in getting. What do you guys think of Beal? Would he be worth it, and/or would the price be too steep? I think the Clippers tried to get him before getting Paul George, and I think they would have been a better team if they were able to trade for him instead. I mean, on paper Paul George is the more logical choice when the best players in the NBA right now are SF/PF hybrids, but I still think Beal is a better player than PG. I don't know, PG could prove me wrong these playoffs, but I've never been impressed with him come playoff time (despite his playoff failures, I was still a fan of PG until these previous playoffs, as I like his overall game and keep thinking he'll turn a corner, but last year's playoffs have made me to start doubting he'll reach his full potential. I guess we will see this time around).
    Beal would be a prime candidate to go after. The cost would depend on two things 1) how bad would he want out and 2) what other teams that were after him would offer. Most top teams can't make compe ive offers (Philly is the exception). I think in the West Nola would be strong compe ion because they have draft capital and he fits. I think a strong starting offer for us would be something like White + Lonnie + our 1st.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beal would be a prime candidate to go after. The cost would depend on two things 1) how bad would he want out and 2) what other teams that were after him would offer. Most top teams can't make compe ive offers (Philly is the exception). I think in the West Nola would be strong compe ion because they have draft capital and he fits. I think a strong starting offer for us would be something like White + Lonnie + our 1st.
    Closer to the Harden haul than what you are proposing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two firsts min seems to be the precedence. I’d consider trades around some combo of Walker, White, Sammy an expiring vet not named DDR and two firsts for the likes of Beal, Lavine, KAT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two firsts min seems to be the precedence. I’d consider trades around some combo of Walker, White, Sammy an expiring vet not named DDR and two firsts for the likes of Beal, Lavine, KAT.
    Not Lavine. He’s not in that group. Beal and KAT are head and shoulders above him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two first rounders, 2 rotation players, and a prospect with high potential for an assortment of players that have shown they are capable of being the best players on bottom dwelling teams

You really think mortgaging our entire future for a player of Lavine or Towns caliber leaves us in any better position than the wolves or bulls are in now?

did we think these trade scenarios through at all or do we just want the instant gratification of something “new” so badly that we’re willing to just sell a kidney for it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what is the actual market value of our next to be free agents?

Let's try some numbers...in the wiew of our player's value for other teams

DDR..............difficult to say, in a dry market having no 3 point shot for a guard/wing is a big minus.....I don't see a team offering max but I'd say anything from 15 to 30 a year depending on the team

LMA.............bad season till now but worth consideration for his offensive ability and his past................No way near his last contract but I'd say anything from min. to mid level depending on the team

Gay............good season till now but too old............................................... .................................................. ...................................I'd say the same things said for LMA

Lyles..........no playing time till now, but good behavior and at least decent production for the minutes played........................................I'd say from minimum to max 6/7 millions

Mills..........decent/good season till now for his capabilities, but because of his defense he's an obvious liability.......................................I' d say anything from 5/6 millions to the mid level

different thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not been smoking crack. I really want this LMA speculation to go away, move forward with the young core and stop this silly Grandpa and Aldridge growth hinderance.
    Lonzo Ball.

Since the rest of the NBA is fully aware of how Aldridge has been in decline since 2016 and is now in full decline thus the PATFO are not going to buffalo anyone, just keeping the expectation level real:

"Since the start of February, he has been throwing flames: 45.9 percent from 3 on 8.1 attempts per game. That is the highest percentage in the league at that volume over that span. If you lower the attempts baseline to 6.5 per game, the list of guys over 45 percent expands to Jamal Murray, George, LaVine and Joe Harris. These are some of the best shooters in the world. Ball hasn't just improved his 3-point shooting; he's become an actual marksman."

To which you will respond we already have Walker, DJ etc.
    Could we then flip Ball for a team that needs him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Closer to the Harden haul than what you are proposing.
    I proposed a starting point...not an ending point...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would exclude Lavine.... but agree on the rest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not been smoking crack. I really want this LMA speculation to go away, move forward with the young core and stop this silly Grandpa and Aldridge growth hinderance.
    Lonzo Ball.

Since the rest of the NBA is fully aware of how Aldridge has been in decline since 2016 and is now in full decline thus the PATFO are not going to buffalo anyone, just keeping the expectation level real:

"Since the start of February, he has been throwing flames: 45.9 percent from 3 on 8.1 attempts per game. That is the highest percentage in the league at that volume over that span. If you lower the attempts baseline to 6.5 per game, the list of guys over 45 percent expands to Jamal Murray, George, LaVine and Joe Harris. These are some of the best shooters in the world. Ball hasn't just improved his 3-point shooting; he's become an actual marksman."

To which you will respond we already have Walker, DJ etc.
    Could we then flip Ball for a team that needs him?

Why? Why get a guy, just to flip him? The market is what it is. You’re not going to get him cheap, and sell him for lots of assets. It just makes no sense, AND we are both divisional and conference rivals with NO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? Why get a guy, just to flip him? The market is what it is. You’re not going to get him cheap, and sell him for lots of assets. It just makes no sense, AND we are both divisional and conference rivals with NO.
    Before he caught fire he was no doubt available for far less. I did not foresee the drastic improvement in treys and apparently no other teams did either. (Unless NO is committed to him.)
    However, same status of LMA in that he is on the last 1/2 year of his contract, so they need to either move him or pony up. They may have to take less then he is worth so as to get some return.

If not flipped, then what Spurs would you want to move if Lonzo joined?

I mean what other ideas do you have? The NBA knows the Spurs are ed with Aldridge. Drafting ability? Whoever is doing the scouting for the Spurs continues to kick ass top tier with another absolute beauty in KJ. Trading wise? They know Gramps has lost it with the Forbes fiasco, Patty 50 etc.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It obviously won't happen, but if there was ever a time for Spurs to make a blockbuster trade, it's now (or this summer).

If we talk about current roster, assets available and cap space, Spurs are unmatched. Other teams with cap space are bottom of the league and no legit playoff team has as much cap space.

I love watching all of the young guys, but it's going to get really crowded very soon and it's only a matter of time before someone's unhappy.
    DJ, Derrick, Lonnie, Devin, Keldon are all already or soon to be legit NBA starters. Some of them will surely make all-star selections in the future.
    Tre also looks like he's going to be a good rotation piece.

6 players for 3 positions. Keldon can play the 4, but he'd be way better as a permanent SF.
    Then you add Patty who'll inevitably retire as a Spur into the equation and there's just not enough minutes for everyone unless we keep playing those 4 guard lineups.

There's also Demar. He's been nothing short of amazing this season, but even though he has the size, he can't be a PF. Makeshift forward.

We don't have a single 6'7-6'10 player who's a great defender. (Unless Luka becomes the next AK47 because his lateral movements last night were really impressive.)
    In today's West, that won't work against top teams.

Jakob can become a defensive juggernaut, but on offense, he's one of the biggest liabilities in the league.
    Until Lonnie and Devin become more consistent, we have one legit 3pt shooting threat in Patty. And he's horrible at everything else. Spacing is awful at times.

Right now it's a pipe dream, but if the opportunity presents itself, Spurs simply have to try and get KAT. Assets are there and he would be a perfect fit.
    DJ, Keldon and Devin should be the only untouchables.

I love Derrick, he's probably our second best player when fully healthy, but his issues seem to be chronic. Would be a tough decision, but I'd rather have DJ.
    Lonnie...can become a superstar, but is always missing something.
    Don't get me wrong, if we can't get KAT or someone like Beal, I'd never trade them, but as I said, if someone like KAT is available, you simply have to go for it.

As far as more realistic trades go, just try and get something for Rudy and LMA. I'd love to get rid of Patty, but he'll never leave.
    Obviously, I think current roster will be a legit playoff team maybe even the next season, but if we want to contend again, a true superstar level player is needed. KAT just makes too much sense for me. He can become an MVP level player with proper coaching instead of that dumpster fire in Minny.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two first rounders, 2 rotation players, and a prospect with high potential for an assortment of players that have shown they are capable of being the best players on bottom dwelling teams

You really think mortgaging our entire future for a player of Lavine or Towns caliber leaves us in any better position than the wolves or bulls are in now?

did we think these trade scenarios through at all or do we just want the instant gratification of something “new” so badly that we’re willing to just sell a kidney for it
    Yeah this is a last piece to a championship move. We can't do this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before he caught fire he was no doubt available for far less. I did not foresee the drastic improvement in treys and apparently no other teams did either. (Unless NO is committed to him.)
    However, same status of LMA in that he is on the last 1/2 year of his contract, so they need to either move him or pony up. They may have to take less then he is worth so as to get some return.

If not flipped, then what Spurs would you want to move if Lonzo joined?

I mean what other ideas do you have? The NBA knows the Spurs are ed with Aldridge. Drafting ability? Whoever is doing the scouting for the Spurs continues to kick ass top tier with another absolute beauty in KJ. Trading wise? They know Gramps has lost it with the Forbes fiasco, Patty 50 etc.
    Maybe you do nothing, and let most or all of the expirings expire. I mean, it’s not like Ball fills a position of need. I’m not even sure his shooting improvement or blip makes him better than DJ.

You don’t just do something just to do something, at least the Spurs don’t. Consequently, a team that kills it in the draft still has all of their picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean when both Jimmy Butler and Thibs call you lazy then I kinda want no part of Towns. The dude is super talented, but the effort level is just beyond questionable. Like how is he such a bad defender? Though to be fair I haven't checked him out this year, but for his career he has been subpar. He has all the tools to be a monster on that end. The wolves tried to have KG mentor him bc they saw this as a problem, but apparently that didn't work. Would he listen to Tim? Idk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you do nothing, and let most or all of the expirings expire. I mean, it’s not like Ball fills a position of need. I’m not even sure his shooting improvement or blip makes him better than DJ.

You don’t just do something just to do something, at least the Spurs don’t. Consequently, a team that kills it in the draft still has all of their picks.
    Spurs may have no choice but to let him expire.
    Doing something for something, even if it's minimal is better then nothing for nothing. Letting good food go to waste is, waste.
    LMA is not going to help in this years playoffs. Never has, never will.
    Well I'll back off never and say he could be an excellent spot benchie depending on the opponent. But that would take Gramps to have some BBIQ moving fwd.

Never.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the young players. I know we probably won’t win a championship with them. But I want to see them develop and see where it goes, and avoid moonshots that could throw it all away. I just want to rid the team of expensive vets that underperform and aren’t on the same page. I could see Mills getting resigned as well as DD, *assuming they accept their role within the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i can't see how LMA has any value other than an expiring contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think DJ is a Star? He's 29th pick

Thread Information