Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have all our full roster available. Go Spurs Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic does what he normally does and rapes the Spurs to the tune of a 40 point triple double and a narrow Mavs win after DePression goes hero mode to the detriment of the team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is gonna shutdown Luka.
    Last edited by 8sy21vd; 03-09-2021 at 06:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka vs Luka. The battle we’ve all been waiting for tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Samanic back at the end of the line. I'm sad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Luka will get some more playing time for the next several games and I don't know how in Game Shape Rudy is going to be as it takes much longer to get back in shape at his age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs by 7

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope that's not Vassel having a serious case of COVID.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fake Luka watches off the bench the real Luka play and manhandle us. That said, Spurs by 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/dr...t=DRIVES&dir=1

Bookmark this post for later.

This is likely why the Spurs lose this game tonight.

We fail miserably against teams with star players who are unstoppable at getting to the rim.

On the bright side, Luka isn't as quick as the other guards.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if they limit Doncic, they win the game. The Mavs role players are pathetic and the Spurs should destroy them. But it's the Spurs, so I guess Josh Richardson scoring 40 wouldnt shock me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Samanic back at the end of the line. I'm sad.
    Pop will slowly bring them back. And with good defense and the ability to knock down outside shots, so I expect Luka to still get some minutes.

Spurs by 8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great to have nearly all the players back ... i doubt Pops rotations will please us tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka has earned minutes. His defense brings a new dimension to the team. With him and Poeltl plus your choice of wings the Spurs can switch everything without getting a bad mismatch. That doesn't happen with Lyles or Gay. IMO this team's ceiling is as high as Luka's development. They are a playoff team without him, but playoff success to any significant degree will depend on Luka continuing to improve. I am very interested to see us play the Lakers again. Dejounte posted some advanced stats on Poeltl and if I read them correctly Poeltl was the 3rd best defender against LeBron. I think that Luka could cause Eyebrow issues. Few bigs can cover him at the 3 point line because he can get by most bigs off the dribble. I don't think that would be the case with Luka. How can you bench a guy who has had the best opponent FG% in the league while he has been on the court. To me the move is to insert Luka in the starting line up and have Lyles go back to the end of the bench. Lyles is fine as a back up, but what he brings to the table doesn't justify starting especially on a team looking to make a run in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Luka will get some more playing time for the next several games and I don't know how in Game Shape Rudy is going to be as it takes much longer to get back in shape at his age.
    I also think he can step into Vassell's role well enough, so he may still get some run.

Once Devin comes back though, he'll probably be back to mop up duty barring further injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shooting guard drills with White, Lonnie, Vassell

It's clear the organization views White and Vassell as SGs

In the back:

Poeltl and Eubanks are grouped together - Anchor Bigs

And the third basket in the very back

Lyles, Gay, Luka - Stretch Bigs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In the back:

I was looking forward for Vassell to have a shot at guarding Luka tonight with his size. This team really needs an elite on-ball defender, like Danny and nephew, and I think Devin could be that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking forward for Vassell to have a shot at guarding Luka tonight with his size. This team really needs an elite on-ball defender, like Danny and nephew, and I think Devin could be that guy.
    Ehh I don't know about that one, bro. I feel like Luka is a giant compared to Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In the back:

Big wing drills: KBD, DeMar, and Keldon

Matching up well with the positions I laid out in my other thread:

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=289433

Only one I missed on was putting Rudy Gay under big wing. I guess the team doesn't see him mobile enough to be that. He's with the Stretch Bigs group in these videos.

@bluebellmaniac

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs by 8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We may have the best defensive Luka in the NBA!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope that's not Vassel having a serious case of COVID.
    Yeah. Everyone assumes since they're young, that COVID won't have long term effects or be a serious threat, but you never know. Get well Devin!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only one I missed on was putting Rudy Gay under big wing. I guess the team doesn't see him mobile enough to be that. He's with the Stretch Bigs group in these videos.
    Rudy has played more 5 than 3 this season, though rather little of each. He's basically a full-time 4 and only plays 5 or 3 in emergencies or special situations.

That's why I think he's the most expendable of the four expiring vets: he plays a position the Spurs are suddenly crowded at, he is okay coming off the bench, and could be an instant upgrade to a contender (and doesn't add salary obligation) so he might actually fetch a decent asset in return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy has played more 5 than 3 this season, though rather little of each. He's basically a full-time 4 and only plays 5 or 3 in emergencies or special situations.

That's why I think he's the most expendable of the four expiring vets: he plays a position the Spurs are suddenly crowded at, he is okay coming off the bench, and could be an instant upgrade to a contender (and doesn't add salary obligation) so he might actually fetch a decent asset in return.
    Sucks because out of all the vets, I think he's had the most positive impact in the locker room (totally baseless opinion of mine)

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks because out of all the vets, I think he's had the most positive impact in the locker room (totally baseless opinion of mine)
    I agree. From everything I have heard (no insider info, just articles/quotes/posts) he has been a model teammate and mentor to the young players. Having an extra few months of that might be worth more than whatever asset the Spurs could get back. I'd still take any first-round pick, but a second might not be good enough unless it's in the early to mid 30s imo.

PF being so crowded might be the writing on the wall, though. While he's a great locker room presence, I don't think the Spurs will want to re-sign him because he will almost certainly be able to command both more money and more playing time elsewhere. There's also the aspect of doing right by him, as in sending him to a contender where he can be part of a deep playoff run. Those teams might not be willing or able to part with a first, but perhaps something could be worked out. Boston could be possible if they whiff on all their big targets.

Thread Information