Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I posted this article in the Snowpocalypse thread but thought it merited its own thread.

Full article for those without subscriptions:

Texas’s deregulated electricity market, which was supposed to provide reliable power at a lower price, left millions in the dark last week. For two decades, its customers have paid more for electricity than state residents who are served by traditional utilities, a Wall Street Journal analysis has found.

Nearly 20 years ago, Texas shifted from using full-service regulated utilities to generate power and deliver it to consumers. The state deregulated power generation, creating the system that failed last week. And it required nearly 60% of consumers to buy their electricity from one of many retail power companies, rather than a local utility.

Those deregulated Texas residential consumers paid $28 billion more for their power since 2004 than they would have paid at the rates charged to the customers of the state’s traditional utilities, according to the Journal’s analysis of data from the federal Energy Information Administration.

The crisis last week was driven by the power producers. Now that power has largely been restored, attention has turned to retail electric companies, a few of which are hitting consumers with steep bills. Power prices surged to the market price cap of $9,000 a megawatt hour for several days during the crisis, a feature of the state’s system designed to incentivize power plants to supply more juice. Some consumers who chose variable rate power plans from retail power companies are seeing the big bills.

None of this was supposed to happen under deregulation. Backers of compe ion in the electricity-supply business promised it would lower prices for consumers who could shop around for the best deals, just as they do for cellphone service. The system would be an improvement over monopoly utilities, which have little incentive to innovate and provide better service to customers, supporters of deregulation said.

“If all consumers don’t benefit from this, we will have wasted our time and failed our cons uency,” then-state Sen. David Sibley, a key author of the bill to deregulate the market, said when the switch was first unveiled in 1999. “Compe ion in the electric industry will benefit Texans by reducing monthly rates,” then-Gov. George W. Bush said later that year.

The EIA data shows how much electricity each utility or retail provider sold to residents in a given year and how much customers paid for it. The Journal calculated separate annual statewide rates for utilities and retailers by adding up all of the revenue each type of provider received and dividing it by the kilowatt-hours of electricity it sold.

From 2004 through 2019, the annual rate for electricity from Texas’s traditional utilities was 8% lower, on average, than the nationwide average rate, while the rates of retail providers averaged 13% higher than the nationwide rate, according to the Journal’s analysis.

The Texas Coalition for Affordable Power, a group that buys electricity for local government use, produced similar findings in a study of the state’s power markets and concluded that high statewide prices relative to the national average “must be attributed to the deregulated sector of Texas.”

In other states that allow retail compe ion for electricity, customers have the option of getting their power from a regulated utility. The absence of an in bent utility in parts of Texas that allow retail compe ion makes it difficult for consumers to know if they are paying too much for power, critics say.

The push to deregulate the electricity-supply market in Texas and elsewhere in the U.S. began in the 1990s amid similar efforts in airlines, natural gas and phone services. Leading the charge was Enron, the Houston energy company and champion of free markets that went bankrupt in 2001 amid revelations of widespread fraud.

For power generators, the laissez-faire market design rewarded companies that could sell electricity inexpensively and still recover their capital costs. But it provided little incentive for companies to spend cash on infrastructure that could protect power plants during sporadic severe cold snaps.

Catherine Webking, general counsel for the Texas Energy Association for Marketers, an industry trade group, said retail providers give customers access to more choices than many standard utilities, such as renewable-energy products. Customers also typically have the option to switch plans, she said. If customers “don’t feel it’s the best thing for them they can find a different provider,” she said.

On the retail power side, dozens of compe ors emerged after deregulation. But recently, compe ion in Texas has been declining amid a wave or mergers in the industry.

Texas is home to the two of the nation’s largest retail-energy providers, Vistra Corp. and NRG Energy Inc. Marketers now owned by the two companies accounted for three quarters of the retail electricity sold in Texas in 2019.

In January, NRG completed its $3.6 billion purchase of retail-energy provider Direct Energy, which doubled the number of NRG’s retail customers to six million and boosted its workforce from about 4,500 to 7,500. About half of its retail customers are in Texas.

Vistra’s largest Texas retail subsidiary, TXU Energy, and NRG have said their customers wouldn’t be hit by ing prices due to the blackouts because their electricity plans aren’t tied to short-term price swings in the wholesale electricity market.

Tim Morstad, associate state director of AARP Texas and a critic of retail-energy suppliers, said he expects many retail customers to suffer increases in their rates in the near future as the companies price in sky-high power rates seen during the winter blast. Most vulnerable, he said, would be customers of retail energy providers who have signed up for variable-rate plans that rise and fall every month amid fluctuations in market rates.

“The prices are definitely going to increase,” he said. “For those on variable contracts, they’ll feel the pinch sooner.”

Some retail-energy providers enter long-term contracts for the electricity they sell to consumers, potentially shielding them from the dramatic surge in the wholesale market seen last week, said Kenneth Rose, an independent consultant at Michigan State University who has studied the retail-energy industry.

The Texas Public Utility Commission said it has “strongly urged” retail electric providers to delay billing residential and small commercial customers.
    If you want to argue in favor or tax cuts or deregulation on principle, fine, but we can retire the trickle down argument at this point. I'm old enough to remember two massive tax cuts and now a Texas energy deregulation experiment that failed to result in anything but the further enrichment of America's wealthiest, so it's time to put to rest the moronic argument that these types of efforts benefit the average Joe. Anyone arguing for policy in favor of trickle down theory is either lying or is completely unaware of how the real world works, and they can't be trusted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It points out the aspect of capitalism that pretty much causes the failure of libertarianism as a moral, coherent ideology:

Resource/information asymetry.

People in this case were preyed on by people who took advantage of them.

Vulture capitalism/late stage capitalism at its finest.

You can bet all that money flowed into the pockets of the investor class, who had pretty much zero motive to invest in the grid.

Irony is that the failure here was pretty much what collapsed the Soviet Union. Underinvestment, and cheapening.

Lucky for us they aren't in charge of graphite nuclear reactors...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted this article in the Snowpocalypse thread but thought it merited its own thread.

If you want to argue in favor or tax cuts or deregulation on principle, fine, but we can retire the trickle down argument at this point. I'm old enough to remember two massive tax cuts and now a Texas energy deregulation experiment that failed to result in anything but the further enrichment of America's wealthiest, so it's time to put to rest the moronic argument that these types of efforts benefit the average Joe. Anyone arguing for policy in favor of trickle down theory is either lying or is completely unaware of how the real world works, and they can't be trusted.
    Agreed.

There are a lot of useful idiots out there.

Makes me mindful of that "origins of conservatism" video. The useful idiots labor under the mistaken belief that someone deserves to make a billion dollars because they are inherently good, rather than just lucky, as most of them would readily admit to being.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pity post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speak of the devil...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeded With Tax Cuts, Kansas Harvests the Benefits

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

What should the corporate tax rate be?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What should the corporate tax rate be?
    I don't know. What do you think it should be?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't know. What do you think it should be?
    I think it's fine at 35 or 36% like it used to be. Surprised Sleepy Joe is only bumping it up to 28%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's fine at 35 or 36% like it used to be. Surprised Sleepy Joe is only bumping it up to 28%.
    I don't think you can get too aggressive at once, you have to see how a hike will affect the economy. Eventually taxes will have to be increased to pay for all this "stimulus".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All powerful central government is the answer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And God.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm fine with raising any tax in small increments.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not in every case but probably worth a try here. We know deregulation doesn't work.

No, we've tried the Republican plan already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas doing it's own thing is the answer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas doing it's own thing is the answer.

leave him alone. His wife changed the wifi password, and he can only get on the internet when she agrees to put the password in his phone
    Last edited by Bogie; 02-27-2021 at 09:27 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leave him alone. His wife changed the wifi password, and he can only he can only get on the internet when she agrees to put the password in his phone
    Stuttering Jeffery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol DMC squadding the God squad

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stuttering Jeffery

You just got a taken on you from 7 different directions. It was comedy watching you flounder, knowing how angry you were for getting destroyed.

you’re like derp looking for friends on here now. That’s who you are

but thank you for pointing out the typo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just got a taken on you from 7 different directions. It was comedy watching you flounder, knowing how angry you were for getting destroyed.

you’re like derp looking for friends on here now. That’s who you are
    And you're Bonnerific, the one who was banned for doing this constantly:

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you're Bonnerific, the one who was banned for doing this constantly:

Laughing at knowing how mad you are at how bad you got owned when your whole existence is to try to win the internet.

if you weren’t such a terrible person, you would be pitiable. As it is, you’re derp in 20 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laughing at knowing how mad you are at how bad you got owned when your whole existence is to try to win the internet.

if you weren’t such a terrible person, you would be pitiable. As it is, you’re derp in 20 years.
    Maybe try another alt. You've already soiled that one too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe try another alt. You've already soiled that one too
    The dmc Rolodex

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taxes should never be that high on anything, dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Intellectually and morally bankrupt from the party that is still mysteriously not growing among white millenials.

Thread Information