Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ghost Writer
    Run.

That might be the Spurs only hope.

The Spurs will have to take advantage of their superior speed. Duncan, Parker and Rose are all faster than Malone, Payton and Shaq. Jackson can keep up with Kobe.

I think if the Spurs do their usual plodding half-court game, that will play into the older Lakers' hands.

We have to take the transition game to the next level this season and somehow find a way to run in the playoffs, too.

Concordantly, no one in the NBA is better at conducting afast breaking team than — you guessed it — Jason Kidd.

Maybe we just need to get Kidd and let the pieces fall where they may.

The Spurs will have to use their youth, athleticism and speed to overcome the veteran starpower of the Lakers.

Thoughts?

MI21
    Your Idea's are spot on.

Lakers are going to be severly lacking in transition D, but there half court D is going to be pretty damn good, plus Kobe will be more effective defensively than ever because he can rest even more on the offensive end, because of the support offensively he will have with not only Shaq, but Gary and Karl.

Getting rough with them may help, some hard contact games against the old blokes cant help ther health and bodies.

The key is they will still have to double Duncan often, so it will be the familiar story of our perimeter players performing in all aspects of the game that can kill LA. But there only real glaring Weakness seems to be there Transition Defense, and perhaps there 3point shooting.

Pretty daunting task to beat them this season if they get both players.

Jimcs50
    Ghost, you do not run in the playoffs with any longterm success. NJ, Dallas and Sacto will bear witness to that fact.

picnroll
    Transition will be some help but the Lakers aren't going to be that slow with Payton, Kobe, and George. Their good abllhandlers so we won't get that many turnovers. They'll keep balance, they're good rebounders, and they won't need to sell out on offensive rebounding so the perimeter guys can keep balance and get back, just like the Spurs do.

Our best chance is to get Kidd and Mourning/Brown and hope Jax, MAnu and TP have growth spurts. If we don't get Kidd I'm for going for Maggette/Odom/Arenas and laying in wait.

I wonder if this becomes a pattern where vet stars start selling out to the Lakers every year creating a non-compe ive environment how healthy this is going to be for the league?

Whottt
    Geez Tony Parker being the fastest PG in the NBA and a guy that Rudy T called a one man fast break wouldn't help our running game at all would it. It's not like Tony ever has to pull up and wait for his teamates to arrive. :major inrolleyes

adidas11
    Yep, as if running a fast break happens consistently in the playoffs.

Ghost Writer
    Jimmy and adidas, you are preaching to the choir about half court ruling in the playoffs. That's why I said the Spurs have to find a way to run next season and in the playoffs. Read.

If it comes down to the typical half court sets, then we have to hope that our faster guys can take the Lakers slower vets off the dribble and to the rack.

Speed kills.

scott
    The problem is that the halfcourt team will find a way to slow the game down to a level they are comfortable with- much like we did against Dallas and New Jersey.

How do we "find a way" to run. This isn't NBA Live 2003, and the Dream Team Lakers aren't going to just let us use our newfound way of running.

Ghost Writer
    I just told you, scott. Pay attention.

If we can't run fast breaks all the time, then we have to use the speed advantage in the half court to get to the rack or draw fouls as we blow by the slower Lakers' defenders.

Also, the Spurs were able to slow it down to the halfcourt game because we used our speed to get back in transition and force the Mavs and Nets to slow it up and go into half court sets.

I can't see the Lakers keeping up with us to grind a fastbreak to a halt like that.

Quit it with all the doom-and-gloom. I'm looking at solutions today.

Archie
    Spurs can create motion in the halfcourt. The biggest problem in year's past has been that the Spurs were excruciatingly predictable. That changed somewhat this year yet the problem was still there. So much so that great defensive teams like the Suns and Mavs were able to stymie the Spurs at times. Kidd would change that. I would expect to see more movement from Timmy. He proved to be devastating in the Finals from the high post. set him up there and run screen rolls all day.

You guys act like Kidd hasn't run a half court offense before

Ghost Writer
    That's right, Arch.

People also forget that the Spurs were quick enought o get back on defense to disrupt the Mavs and Nets' fastbreaks.

Are the Lakers qucik enough now to do that?

I don't think so.

Can Malone keep Duncan from scoring off the dribble?

I don't think so.

Whottt
    Sigh

If you guys want our half court improved Kidd should have never even been discussed...Payton all the way.

Im lieu of that get shooters that can score off the pick N roll or when plays are run for them.. and when Duncan is being double teamed.

Ghost Writer
    Whott, Payton is going to the Lakers.

We have "shooters" who can penetrate and score.

Kidd is a master of the pick-and-roll.

Will someone with substance please talk to me?

Question.

scott
    Substance like "Bruce Bowen's defense on Kobe is overrated."?

Ghost Writer
    scott, stop being a little hanger-on b1tch. I am pissing all over your overrating of Bowen in the other thread, just as I squashed your "Work a sign & trade for Brand with Sterling in one afternoon" bullsh1t yesterday in another.

Do you have any p1ssing and moaning related to the Spurs needing to use their speed against the Lakers next year?

If not, then stick to topic or STFU.

scott
    You squashed nothing. Sterling isn't interested in a sign & trade, and we all found that out in one afternoon- which exactly what I suggested they do.

And you sure did piss over me by telling us all that having Kidd trumps Kobe scoring 40. Yippee!

Like our friend MadeFromDust, you are a star only in your own mind.

Whottt
    Kidd is not the master of the PickNRoll where do you get that from?

I'd rather have Stockton or Payton over Kidd doing that. It helps to have some one who can hit the side of a barn running it.

And our outside shooting is shaky, it has potential but you can never have enough outside shooting on a team with Tim Duncan.

Back to your running idea..I can't beging to grasp how you wouldn't think Parker would be a total asset to our running game...the guy can beat anyone down the floor to get a pass. Not that I think Manu and Duncan couldn't make those passes as well as Kidd anyway..but since you are discussing it. Me personally I stick with the good old half court O. Get Stockton..he knows how to run ing PickNRoll and he wasn't the reason the Jazz choked against the Bulls.

adidas11
    Finding a game plan and approach that is opposite to what the Lakers will put into effect is paramount in beating them. The Spurs should try to continue to expound on what advantages they have. Speed. Although I think this advantage is a little overrated, it is still something the Spurs must try to integrate moreso in their offense and defense.

Add a PJ Brown, and a Lamar Odom, and the Spurs will be very solid next year. PJ can provide the rebounding that is essential to a running game, and Lamar can play both the half court, and open court game. Plus, Lamar's length can be deadly in terms of defending, and breaking down a tough half court defense. You don't lose your speed advantage by picking up these two players.

scott
    Whottt, to Kidd's credit, he creates more fast break opportunities with his permimeter rebounding and unprecidented ability to quickly kick the ball out and get it up court. Tony Parker can't match him in these areas, which are far more deadly than Kidd's ability to run up the court himself.

Whottt
    Right and you don't think Parker would be a good guy to be kicking it out to with his speed and teardrop finisher?

Get real. There'd be no better finisher in the NBA.

And as it pertains to beating LA..Who in the is gonna catch Parker on their team even if they are getting back? Not even Kobe..

Kidd runs the transition even without those rebounds, he is always looking for the guy down the court, that's the only thing about his game that I like. And his steals serve him well too...He doesn't play man to man defense..he sits there and watches the ball, plays all the passing lanes and goes for steals..he hardly bodies his guy..he usually just sits there and watches them run by him and tries to pick it. That's why he gets ing torched(along with the fact that he has lost a few steps).

scott
    Whottt, Parker would be a great recipient from a Kidd kick out.

But you are talking about a Kidd + Parker backcourt in this case, something I'm not willing to put up with for a year. Parker is a lesser 2 guard than Jackson or Manu.

Don't get all fussy with me- I don't want Kidd. But I was addressing your questions about Kidd's fastbreak abilities. Parker's value in the fast break isn't questioned, but if we get Kidd, we mostly likely have to move Parker.

Ghost Writer
    Kidd > Parker

kidd ran the pick-and-roll with both Martin and Jerfferson all last season.

Parker should be here if Kidd comes, that's why I didn't address him.

P.S.

"You squashed nothing. Sterling isn't interested in a sign & trade, and we all found that out in one afternoon- which exactly what I suggested they do." — scott

There was no inquiry made about a S&T.

Then you started fussing about Kidd immediately signing with the Nets if the Spurs made a pitch outright to Brand, which was determined to be equally as ludicrous.

You have a knack of responding negatively to my takes, yet getting slammed when I take you to task.

Can Bowen guard Shaq next year?

Whottt
    You don't just move Parker for nothing just because you have Kidd. That's insane..

You damn sure don't move him for a scrub like Rasho when you can just go out and sign Brad Miller.

Why do the Spurs always ejoy getting assraped in trades? I am gonna go postal if they trade Parker for ing scrub. I am gonna go postal.

And I agree, I don't like a Parker Kidd backcourt either, especially in a half court set, but if you want to run it's silly to think Parker is the weak link there.

That's a ridiculous thought. Seriously it is.

scott
    Yah Ghost... you really showed me about Kidd signing with NJ if we were to offer Brand a deal.

Just look at all the people advocating offering Brand a deal and waiting 15 days to see what happens.

Archie
    Yeah, you don't just run off your talent because you can. Another key part of staying on top is making smart moves with the talent you have.

Saying that Parker is a "luxury" and can be dropped for any run of the mill bigman is foolish.

Thread Information