Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Tomorrow is looking like the annual "High Risk" day for the Southern US. My expert analysis based off of other expert analysis says that this could be significant imho

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Well I as a serial jr meteorologist predicted this way back since November or so. A very strong La Niña always leads to a very strong tornado season the following year. The last La Niña this strong was in 2010-2011, and 2011 ended up being the most active tornado season in US recorded history since 1974.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    This year is the tenth anniversary of the April Super Outbreak. One of the most volatile atmospheric events of the modern era.

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/n...reak-tornadoes
    Last edited by benefactor; 03-16-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    This year is the tenth anniversary of the April Super Outbreak. One of the most volatile atmospheric events of the modern era.

And yet it was arguably the driest April ever in San Antonio. Dry as a in' bone. I remember it well. 10th grade. The lawn didn't even get tall enough to need mowing until late May that year.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    May of 1997 the Jarrell tornado was unreal. It tracked from NE to SW.
    The sky turned a sick green. I watched it all from north Austin.
    In Jarrell whole hoods were stripped to the foundation and there were no trees. Wicked

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

It's not a stretch to say that we'll probably never see a day like this again literally ever.

Just on one day, you had three EF-5 tornadoes in which you could make a case for any of them being the strongest ever. The Philadelphia, Smithville, and the Phil Campbell tornadoes would stack up against any of the most notable ones in recorded history. And then you have the "forgotten" F5 tornado that hit Rainsville, and probably a few more that were EF-4 but could've been classified EF-5.

I remember some meteoroligst said on the Birmingham sounding for that day, 98% of the 60-ish severe weather parameters were completely maxed out that day...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    May of 1997 the Jarrell tornado was unreal. It tracked from NE to SW.
    The sky turned a sick green. I watched it all from north Austin.
    In Jarrell whole hoods were stripped to the foundation and there were no trees. Wicked
    Yeah, the Jarrell tornado is in a class of its own in terms of damage. Reduced an entire subdivision to nothing but concrete slab, literally killing everyone above ground

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    It's not a stretch to say that we'll probably never see a day like this again literally ever.

Just on one day, you had three EF-5 tornadoes in which you could make a case for any of them being the strongest ever. The Philadelphia, Smithville, and the Phil Campbell tornadoes would stack up against any of the most notable ones in recorded history. And then you have the "forgotten" F5 tornado that hit Rainsville, and probably a few more that were EF-4 but could've been classified EF-5.

I remember some meteoroligst said on the Birmingham sounding for that day, 98% of the 60-ish severe weather parameters were completely maxed out that day...
    Single events tend to be more memorable like the Moore EF-5, Joplin, Jarrell etc...but man looking at all the variables involved in that 72 hours it was just incredible. That quote that all those paths from all those tornadoes could have stretched from Maine to San Francisco...Jesus. The craziest thing is it actually could have been worse the way that cauldron in the sky was bubbling.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    "Northeast of Philadelphia, Mississippi, a swath of ground was scoured out to a depth of two feet, in some places. The tornado even ripped sections of asphalt from a road."

Lol... .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Last 1/2 hour out by San Anglo just popped up huge.
    Might get rough tonight

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Glad I don't have to worry about those gnarly twisters, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    welp....today is now a confirmed "High Risk" day, first one issued in two years. robinlopez.gif

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Tornadoes are scary as . Had a really weak one go over my house in the 90s and it was the freakiest feeling to feel all the air being sucked out of the rooms and into the hallway and up through the attic, thought I was going to die in that moment as I didn't know it was weak. It had just thrown a ton of hail and smashed out a bedroom window immediately before. Luckily all it did other than take out that window was rip a lot of shingles off my roof, but it knocked a tree into a neighbor's house a couple of doors down. Can't imagine what it's like to actually be in a major tornado.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-17-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    welp....today is now a confirmed "High Risk" day, first one issued in two years. robinlopez.gif
    Fortunately it's east of Texas now. It's going to hit the ty southern states like LA/AR/MS/AL.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Glad I don't have to worry about those gnarly twisters, tbh.
    But tornadoes are only a serious threat about 3 months out of the year (early March-early June) while you've got to worry about random unpredictable earthquakes striking at any old time, a 24/7/365 reality, including in the middle of the night when you and everyone else are asleep and... BAM! CRACK! 9.3 quake sending you deep headfirst into the earth into oblivion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Tornadoes are scary as . Had a really weak one go over my house in the 90s and it was the freakiest feeling to feel all the air being sucked out of the rooms and into the hallway and up through the attic, thought I was going to die in that moment as I didn't know it was weak. It had just thrown a ton of hail and smashed out a bedroom window immediately before. Luckily all it did other than take out that window was rip a lot of shingles off my roof, but it knocked a tree into a neighbor's house a couple of doors down. Can't imagine what it's like to actually be in a major tornado.
    This video is probably as realistic as it gets. Dude inexplicably sits there and films a monster tornado heading right toward him and actually captures the footage as it directly hits and tears up everything in front of him. Somehow he actually survives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0c27Twu__o

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    This video is probably as realistic as it gets. Dude inexplicably sits there and films a monster tornado heading right toward him and actually captures the footage as it directly hits and tears up everything in front of him. Somehow he actually survives

did he have a Blue Shed?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    After looking at the models and undergoing rigorous research, my expert analysis leads me to believe that anybody in the direct path of a tornado will likely encounter some type of damage...also look for increased wind speeds as the tornado gets closer

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ^An expert in his own mind^

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

God damn

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    After looking at the models and undergoing rigorous research, my expert analysis leads me to believe that anybody in the direct path of a tornado will likely encounter some type of damage...also look for increased wind speeds as the tornado gets closer
    Bend over, I'll ing show you some type of damage.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    But tornadoes are only a serious threat about 3 months out of the year (early March-early June) while you've got to worry about random unpredictable earthquakes striking at any old time, a 24/7/365 reality, including in the middle of the night when you and everyone else are asleep and... BAM! CRACK! 9.3 quake sending you deep headfirst into the earth into oblivion.
    Earthquakes don't scare me. If you get to safe spot, you got great odds even if it's bad. Tornadoes are just ish. Though I was hoping to see a huge one up close when I was out there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Earthquakes don't scare me. If you get to safe spot, you got great odds even if it's bad. Tornadoes are just ish. Though I was hoping to see a huge one up close when I was out there.
    The chance of being impacted by a deadly (EF3+) tornado is minuscule compared to other natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes that strike large areas. When you combine the fact that those tornadoes are rare, usually do not strike heavily populated areas, and have a relatively small damage path it's just not something I really ever worry about. And if you somewhat know what you're doing (unlike the mongoloid above who sat there and filmed a giant tornado barreling right toward him), you have time to flee the area on the 0.0001% chance you ever find yourself in the path of an F4/F5 tornado.

But yes, if you do somehow find yourself getting struck by a violent tornado then you're 100% screwed

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    The chance of being impacted by a deadly (EF3+) tornado is minuscule compared to other natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes that strike large areas. When you combine the fact that those tornadoes are rare, usually do not strike heavily populated areas, and have a relatively small damage path it's just not something I really ever worry about. And if you somewhat know what you're doing (unlike the mongoloid above who sat there and filmed a giant tornado barreling right toward him), you have time to flee the area on the 0.0001% chance you ever find yourself in the path of an F4/F5 tornado.

But yes, if you do somehow find yourself getting struck by a violent tornado then you're 100% screwed
    I will admit though, it's tougher to manage the tornado threat in states like Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas were homes aren't built with basements. In the more northerly states where basements are ubiquitous you're pretty much guaranteed survival without personal injury (yes, your property will be obliterated, especially the upper floor(s)) if you go into the basement. In a place like Dallas if an F4-F5 hits your house square on you can die and there's literally nothing or nowhere you can go to stop that.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Not sure if I agree. Earthquakes can strike at random without any warning and if it's a >9.0 type of quake you're ed. There's no time to "get into a safe spot" because weather forecasters can't predict seismic quakes, they are completely random acts of nature.

Thread Information