Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess I'll start with Best Picture.

Nomadland : I started this but knew pretty quickly it was going to be a downer.

Promising Young Woman : I actually paid $20 bucks to rent this pretty average movie. It's not bad but it's pretty weak as a Best Picture nominee.

Trial of Chicago Seven : This was very good. Great cast and never felt like it dragged.

Minari : will watch when they drop the rental price.

Judas and the Black Messiah : Great movie all around.

Mank : never heard of it but will probably watch tonight. Likely can't go wrong with Gary Oldman. Plus Seyfried is hot.

Sound of Metal : thought this was good but not great. The lead actor was fantastic but in the end, I didn't think the movie was awesome.

The Father : hadn't heard of it

It's hard to think of a movie that blew me away this year. Of the ones I've seen above, Judas and the Black Messiah was my favorite. I'm going to actually make a point to watch all of them. Except finishing Nomadland.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    As to best actor, I thikn Riz Ahment gets it for Sound of Metal. He was fantastic. I also think they do make him the first Muslim to win an acting Oscar.
    Just now realized he was the guy from The Night Of.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    As to best actress, even though I haven't seen it, I think it goes to Andra Day.
    Even though they're great, I don't think they give it to Viola Davis or McDormand because I think they're getting away from someone winning like Streep.
    And Mulligan was good but I didn't think she was great.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I've only seen Judas and Chicago 7, the latter being as good as expected and the former better than it probably should've been. Judas is the product of completing teams of sitcom writers, a director on his second feature and two lead actors who have barely played leads and are both a decade too old to play these roles. Speaking of the leads, it's pretty obvious these performances kind of took the Academy by surprise; they somehow decided both were supporting roles. It made an NYT reporter ask "If Stanfield and Kaluuya are both supporting actors, then who exactly is this movie supposed to be about?"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've only seen Judas and Chicago 7, the latter being as good as expected and the former better than it probably should've been. Judas is the product of completing teams of sitcom writers, a director on his second feature and two lead actors who have barely played leads and are both a decade too old to play these roles. Speaking of the leads, it's pretty obvious these performances kind of took the Academy by surprise; they somehow decided both were supporting roles. It made an NYT reporter ask "If Stanfield and Kaluuya are both supporting actors, then who exactly is this movie supposed to be about?"
    Yeah...that does come up once in a while. In this case, I thought Kaluuya (Fred Hampton) was better. I haven't seen three of the other Best Actor movies so I don't know if he should crack that. That being said, I don't think either of the Judas guys was better than Ahment. I will say that I don't think Cohen was better than some of the other cast in Trial.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    If Hurt Locker and Crash can win best picture I gotta kind of disagree that Promising Young Woman is weak for a nominee. Loved that movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If Hurt Locker and Crash can win best picture I gotta kind of disagree that Promising Young Woman is weak for a nominee. Loved that movie.
    I guess between those three, I'd agree that Promising Young Woman was the best.

As to this year, I thought I'm Your Woman was better even as to best actress.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Of the ones I've seen, I'd go:

Sound of Metal
    Nomadland
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Mank
    Trial of Chicago Seven

A lot of these are pretty overrated in my opinion. I would normally go watch these in a theater around this time of year, so I do wonder if the experience of watching on my couch, and all of the distractions that go along with that, may have affected my focus and/or appreciation of the movies. I thought "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" was better than any of the nominees (that I've seen.) And while I don't know that "One Night in Miami" was one of the ten best movies of the year, I did like it more than several of the actual nominees. I might even put Palm Springs up there.

Andra Day should be a shoe-in for Best Actress but she may be at a disadvantage due to it being only a so-so movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^ bunch of women

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be another Fast and Furious coming out soon.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Now tell us you don't care, weakling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be another Fast and Furious coming out soon.
    I never watched those to begin with. I watch do entaries mainly or tutorials to learn things. Sorry you have such a warped sense of who I am irl but thanks for the laughs nonetheless.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    kori watches Loose Change and The Pick-Up Artist.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    None of the COVID era movies that have come out have been very good at least the ones I've seen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Never heard of any of those movies

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nomadland : I started this but knew pretty quickly it was going to be a downer.
    Take a look at these 2 on the IG.

_gypsytribe_

The whole Van Life thing can be interesting. She'll probably give you a stiffy. Or at least the husband will for you and Adam Lambert.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Take a look at these 2 on the IG.

_gypsytribe_

The whole Van Life thing can be interesting. She'll probably give you a stiffy. Or at least the husband will for you and Adam Lambert.
    I'm sure it could be cool as under the right cir stances and for a certain amount of time. It's not a viable option for me at this point.

Thread Information