Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Which do you choose?

NOTE: All income is taxable (federal/FICA/ and possibly state depending on which state your primary address is in).

-If you choose the 10M now, the net proceeds after taxes will be direct deposited to your bank account the first day of the next month
    -If you choose the 500K a year, the net proceeds after taxes will be direct deposited to your bank account on January 1st each year starting next year.

-The 500K a year option will NOT be adjusted for any inflation (or deflation) in the future. It also won't be adjusted for any tax hikes or cuts in the future, at any level. It is a flat, nominal number.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    given either one today i'd retire tomorrow

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10 million will give you well north of 500k a year if invested well, so there really isn't anything to think about here.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    10 million will give you well north of 500k a year if invested well, so there really isn't anything to think about here.
    Not necessarily. It's five million after taxes. And then bad investments happen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    10 mil up front. Put it in the bank and live off of the interest.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Not necessarily. It's five million after taxes. And then bad investments happen.
    Exactly. Taxes, and even then, things aren't so simple, especially with the Biden admin and the likely bubble about to burst. That 30K is a fake number that has nowhere to go this year but down, down, down.
    10 mil up front. Put it in the bank and live off of the interest.
    In case you haven't noticed, interest rates have been hovering at a crisp, cool 0.02-0.04% over the past full calendar year. You can't live off the extremely paltry interest off that even if you had 5 or 10 million in the bank. You'd be lucky if it gets you a hamburger a day.

What needs to happen is interest rates need to be jacked up to 2015-2018 levels, and sequestration, two things that are far from the agenda of the Biden-Harris-Schumer-Pelosi consortium that we're stuck with until at least Jan. 2023.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    In case you haven't noticed, interest rates have been hovering at a crisp, cool 0.02-0.04% over the past full calendar year. You can't live off the extremely paltry interest off that even if you had 5 or 10 million in the bank. You'd be lucky if it gets you a hamburger a day.

You cant live off of $200,000-$400,000 a year homie? Especially with no bills and your house paid for?

Im just sayin I would take the cash really. I want my money NOW!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    A wise man once said : why not both?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You cant live off of $200,000-$400,000 a year homie? Especially with no bills and your house paid for?

Im just sayin I would take the cash really. I want my money NOW!
    If you get 10 million then assuming you live off 200K a year then after tax it'll last you about 25 years max. Considering interest rates are near zero and the stock market is too volatile to touch right now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just give me the 10M, even after taxes i'd still be set for the rest of my life

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'd take the 500k for the rest of my life. In 20 years I get my 10 million and I would have all my bills paid anyway after the first 500k and it would force me to live in some sort of means. Honestly I don't know how I would handle a large sum of cash just given to me, hard to say no to that Vegas lifestyle

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Just give me the 10M, even after taxes i'd still be set for the rest of my life
    X2

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I'd take the 500k for the rest of my life. In 20 years I get my 10 million and I would have all my bills paid anyway after the first 500k and it would force me to live in some sort of means. Honestly I don't know how I would handle a large sum of cash just given to me, hard to say no to that Vegas lifestyle
    That's kind of what I was thinking. You're set for life even after taxes as long as you don't expect like a new yacht every year or something. Heck in 2 years you could have enough for a down payment on a large house / mansion to live in + an apartment complex in order to earn extra income on that.

10 million up front, one time = could easily piss it all away on lavish and be left with nothing, just like a lot of pro athletes have.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The S&P goes up around 10% a year on average over time, even when factoring in recession years. So if you only net 5 mil after taxes, 10% still produces your 500k a year.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    The S&P goes up around 10% a year on average over time, even when factoring in recession years. So if you only net 5 mil after taxes, 10% still produces your 500k a year.
    Yes - but that's factoring in the fact the US has been the #1 economy globally for about 100 years, since the end of WWI.

When (not if) the US declines in world superiority, the dollar significantly loses global value to the yuan, yen, euro, ruble etc and others, it won't perform nearly that well. It'll be as much of a gamble as anything. You could lose all $5 million in no time flat just like what happened in Greece several years back.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Take the 10 mil.

Not guaranteed tomorrow. Today covid followed by no heat during a blizzard...tomorrow, who the knows

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You could lose all $5 million in no time flat just like what happened in Greece several years back.
    If the economy tanks that bad and never recovers, we'd all have much larger problems than this silly hypothetical scenario. Bottled water and bullets will be far more valuable currency than 500k in dollars.
    Last edited by Xevious; 03-02-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    10 Million now. Then invest it into GME and ride it to the moon. GG!

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    10 Million now. Then invest it into GME and ride it to the moon. GG!
    Invest in gamestop post retailpocalypse? Good luck with that RadioShack 2.0 stock

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Invest in gamestop post retailpocalypse? Good luck with that RadioShack 2.0 stock
    Not for long term. Just until the squeeze gets squozed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Take the 500k tbh. More money in the long run and can live off a 1/10th of that where I live. Probably find a job that I actually like and work part-time just to have something to do, other than blow through it.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Take the 500k tbh. More money in the long run and can live off a 1/10th of that where I live. Probably find a job that I actually like and work part-time just to have something to do, other than blow through it.
    Me likey this plan. Either a part-time WFH with a high hourly rate, or start a low risk high potential reward business.

So you live out in the country/rural area?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Me likey this plan. Either a part-time WFH with a high hourly rate, or start a low risk high potential reward business.

So you live out in the country/rural area?
    I live in between two cities (Richmond and Charlottesville) but there's a lot of rural areas in between. I could move out a little bit further of the suburbs and get some great bang for my buck while still being fairly close-ish to the city.

$50k plus a solid paying part time job could stretch pretty far out there while I invest a portion of the remaining yearly amount and squirrel away the rest. Minus maybe the occasional big-ticket item.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    Name
    Allan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    the first rule is to get the crown on your head. take the $10M now. PERIOD.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I live in between two cities (Richmond and Charlottesville) but there's a lot of rural areas in between. I could move out a little bit further of the suburbs and get some great bang for my buck while still being fairly close-ish to the city.

$50k plus a solid paying part time job could stretch pretty far out there while I invest a portion of the remaining yearly amount and squirrel away the rest. Minus maybe the occasional big-ticket item.
    Virginia is pretty expensive cost of living in general though. Proximity to DC, I guess. But it's not bad if you're used to the northeast or west coast cost of living.

Thread Information