Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone still ing about Yak’s contract? We got the best screen setter, and a top 3 rim protector for <$10M.

"But he doesn't score 10 points a game!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta wait a year... He is looking like a steal though. Amazing coaching by Pop this year. Really hall of fame stuff getting the most out of even his scrubbiest players. Turns a player who can't catch a ball or go up strong and fouls a lot into a premier rim defender. Glad the old man got his fire back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our boy Jakob is protecting the rim at an elite level, is now being tasked more and more with initiating offensive sets from the high post- made some nice passes, DROVE IT TO THE BASKET FROM THE TRIPLE THREAT FOR A BUCKET....

I know, bringing up this name will cause me to spontaneously combust. But you can start to see the work with Timmy coming through and I see more and more flashes of that type of presence on the floor. Not saying he’s that good- obviously, not saying he will even touch the 2015 iteration of Timmy at his peak- but hes starting to put his fingerprints all over the game in ways that Timmy used to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta wait a year... He is looking like a steal though. Amazing coaching by Pop this year. Really hall of fame stuff getting the most out of even his scrubbiest players. Turns a player who can't catch a ball or go up strong and fouls a lot into a premier rim defender. Glad the old man got his fire back
    The you talking about? This isn't anything new. Yak has always been a monster on defense. Most people are just too dumb to look past his FT% or lack of offensive skill.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...&highlight=Yak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Samanic can prove that his defense isn't a fluke, in these next few games, and can hit the open 3, I don't see any reason why he should be left off the rotation, tbh. And maybe even start in the short run. I love Keldon but he's more of a 2-3 than a 3-4. It is about time we start integrating Luka to the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Samanic can prove that his defense isn't a fluke, in these next few games, and can hit the open 3. I don't see any reason why he should be left off the rotation, tbh. And maybe even start in the short run. I love Keldon but he's more of a 2-3 than a 3-4. It is about time we start integrating Luka to the team.
    We might have to move Gay to a contender to make room for Luka (and even Lyles).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The you talking about? This isn't anything new. Yak has always been a monster on defense. Most people are just too dumb to look past his FT% or lack of offensive skill.

Pop gets a back up center who couldn't even average 20 minutes a game as a top 10 pick, with no offensive game, hands of stone, foul prone, and had no idea how to play. And by year 3, he has him playing like DPOY. taught him to catch a pass, and schemed him only to play to his strengths. If that's not coaching then why the did Toronto get rid of him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan's assist numbers of late have been outstanding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop gets a back up center who couldn't even average 20 minutes a game as a top 10 pick, with no offensive game, hands of stone, foul prone, and had no idea how to play. And by year 3, he has him playing like DPOY. taught him to catch a pass, and schemed him only to play to his strengths. If that's not coaching then why the did Toronto get rid of him?
    Hmm, to get the best player to ever play for their franchise? FYI, Raptors' fans and management loved Poeltl, but they knew they needed to give up something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2nd half of the season could be even better than the first.
    Here's to keeping the full roster intact. The Spurs match up possibilities could be pretty incredible. Could play almost completely different units on back-to-backs.
    I'm very impressed with the entire squad. Who thought they'd be in 5th in the West at this point? Not me.

Thanks for the great game grades, timvp!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, to get the best player to ever play for their franchise? FYI, Raptors' fans and management loved Poeltl, but they knew they needed to give up something.
    I thought we wanted either Siakim or OG though and they chose Poetl to dump. Anyone who says that Pop isn't who made Poetl is a troll who is just hating on Pop. he's back guys. He took some time off after losing his wife, but he has the fire back. No other coach can do what he is doing with such a young roster. even Larry Brown quit after a year and a half with such a young team back in 91.

It's a textbook master class on how to take raw talent and develop it into a player. Gets a player who can't dribble, pass, or shoot as a point guard and turns him into the MIPOY. Gets a center who can't catch, finish, stay on the floor, and know where to be on offense and turns him into a DPOY candidate who is solid offensively now. Luka has no idea how to play defense, couple years with Pop and everyone is like "omg Luka! Where did this defense come from?" He's playing for the greatest defensive coach ever and maybe the greatest teacher ever. Pop might not fix vets, but if he gets you young, he will mold you into a damn good player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought we wanted either Siakim or OG though and they chose Poetl to dump. Anyone who says that Pop isn't who made Poetl is a troll who is just hating on Pop. he's back guys. He took some time off after losing his wife, but he has the fire back. No other coach can do what he is doing with such a young roster. even Larry Brown quit after a year and a half with such a young team back in 91.

It's a textbook master class on how to take raw talent and develop it into a player. Gets a player who can't dribble, pass, or shoot as a point guard and turns him into the MIPOY. Gets a center who can't catch, finish, stay on the floor, and know where to be on offense and turns him into a DPOY candidate who is solid offensively now. Luka has no idea how to play defense, couple years with Pop and everyone is like "omg Luka! Where did this defense come from?" He's playing for the greatest defensive coach ever and maybe the greatest teacher ever. Pop might not fix vets, but if he gets you young, he will mold you into a damn good player
    First of all, no, we don't know that to be the case. But, let's say that was indeed how it happened. The Raptors preferring to keep Siakam and Anunoby over Poeltl doesn't mean Jacob wasn't good. Like I told you, they loved him in Toronto. Any Raptors fan or Canadian guy can tell you that. Poeltl has been good since he got to the league and even prior to that. There's a reason he got picked 9th overall. Higher than any of our other youngsters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The crazy part is the guy does have some offensive skill and a post game (look at his college tape at Utah), but that just isn't efficient enough to be a viable option on offense. It sucks a little cause I love interior play, but him setting screens and playing in the high post is a much better use of his talent and the offense.

I do wish they'd give him some of those looks against mismatches and maybe that'll happen as he further cements himself as a starter. I'm happy for the guy cause I was definitely concerned he'd be nothing more than a career back up (Nerlens Noel) drafted way too high.

I knew he was good in Toronto (splitting time with Jonas), but I was concerned he had plateaued early and would never reach starter level or validate his draft positioning.

I also want to see if he can do a much better job against the few elite post up big men remaining. He did a bad to mediocre job when matched up again Jokic & Embiid in the bubble and I'm hopeful his improved confidence can lead to a better effort there.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 03-03-2021 at 02:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, no, we don't know that to be the case. But, let's say that was indeed how it happened. The Raptors preferring to keep Siakam and Anunoby over Poeltl doesn't mean Jacob wasn't good. Like I told you, they loved him in Toronto. Any Raptors fan or Canadian guy can tell you that. Poeltl has been good since he got to the league and even prior to that. There's a reason he got picked 9th overall. Higher than any of our other youngsters.
    They loved him so much they barely played him

Just stop with this Pop hate. Poeltl would not be the player he is today without Pop. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. Both OG and Siakim have taken huge steps back as far as player development goes this year. Nick Nurse would not have made Poeltl into a DPOY caliber player. He wouldn't be running a defensive or offensive system that plays to the strengths of Poeltl. They liked Poeltl bc he has the tools to be this and they took the risk that he could be developed, but if you think Nick Nurse or Dwayne Casey were going to develop him then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Pop did to Poeltl exactly what he is doing to Luka. He is teaching him, playing to his strengths, and putting him a position to succeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might have to move Gay to a contender to make room for Luka (and even Lyles).
    I'd prefer going that route rather than having Luka start for Keldon. Keldon has earned that starting role. Removing Lonnie and LA from the SL is enough of a fix, no further changes needed unless dictated by injury tbh.

SL: Dejounte/White/Keldon/Derozan/Poetl
    Bench (assuming you can offload Rudy): Fatty/Lonnie/Vassell/Luka/LA

that's a top 5-6 team in the West with a 2nd round ceiling tbh.

I don't think they end up moving Rudy but I agree that it'd be a shame if Luka isn't part of the rotation somehow when everybody is healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone still ing about Yak’s contract? We got the best screen setter, and a top 3 rim protector for <$10M.
    I haven't seen the Dude around much lately, but he was absolutely cliff-jumping off that signing

This team has really sucked the joy out of being a fan. I’ve never seen such an overall fall from grace from a once revered front office.

Yeah Jakob isn’t catastrophic in and of itself; but it’s a continuation of a trend of really poor decision making and doing Jack right.
    That whole thread is great to read back in hindsight. SpursTalk will on anything and everything, no matter the context...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With that brutal of a schedule that we got left we might really need all 16 bodies (I’m not counting Weatherspoon) on the roster. Would be beneficial if you could rest players on occasion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guy Dejounte predicting the future... Spoke this into existence from the start

A good surprise this season would be Samanic being good. That would raise the out of the team's ceiling.

Right now what the team is hoping for is for the Vassell + Keldon bench combo to raise the ceiling. Samanic would be gravy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle ing power!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen the Dude around much lately, but he was absolutely cliff-jumping off that signing

That whole thread is great to read back in hindsight. SpursTalk will on anything and everything, no matter the context...
    Why does that guy only post during the offseason? Really odd lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They loved him so much they barely played him

Just stop with this Pop hate. Poeltl would not be the player he is today without Pop. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. Both OG and Siakim have taken huge steps back as far as player development goes this year. Nick Nurse would not have made Poeltl into a DPOY caliber player. He wouldn't be running a defensive or offensive system that plays to the strengths of Poeltl. They liked Poeltl bc he has the tools to be this and they took the risk that he could be developed, but if you think Nick Nurse or Dwayne Casey were going to develop him then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Pop did to Poeltl exactly what he is doing to Luka. He is teaching him, playing to his strengths, and putting him a position to succeed.
    What Pop hate? Dude stop inventing narratives.

All I'm saying is that Poeltl has always been good, because that's the truth. Of course that players' develop over time, but Poeltl has been relatively solid since he got to the league. He's just following the normal developmental curve.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does that guy only post during the offseason? Really odd lmao
    He's still posting on Twitter but it has been more sporadically the last month...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A fun game to watch. Loving Luka...looks like his teammates really like him too, which is cool to see. And, for a night, I was wrong about Trey Lyles. I hope he continues to prove me wrong. Sad to think we could easily have 4 or 5 more wins without the Covid outbreak. I heard we have 40 games in 68 days after the all-star break, so it's good we have so many young legs to rely on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A fun game to watch. Loving Luka...looks like his teammates really like him too, which is cool to see. And, for a night, I was wrong about Trey Lyles. I hope he continues to prove me wrong. Sad to think we could easily have 4 or 5 more wins without the Covid outbreak. I heard we have 40 games in 68 days after the all-star break, so it's good we have so many young legs to rely on.
    I'm just wishing the dude would get rid of his cringe-worthy bio on instagram. So much teen angst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Pop hate? Dude stop inventing narratives.

All I'm saying is that Poeltl has always been good, because that's the truth. Of course that players' develop over time, but Poeltl has been relatively solid since he got to the league. He's just following the normal developmental curve.
    relatively solid and being in the contention for DPOY are two different things buddy. That’s the Pop effect. Sad you think so low of him that you compare Pop’s player development to Nick Nurse but that’s the Spurstalk we live in I guess

Thread Information