Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘We have a responsibility’: AOC on the fight for $15 minimum wage
    Duration: 07:41 2 days ago

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., a leading proponent of the $15-an-hour wage, talks about the Democrats’ fight for increased minimum wage, stating she believes the parliamentarian should be overridden and that the number one priority should be, “making good on the promise we made and not allowing procedural obstacles to get in our way.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/oth...ge/vi-BB1e7AOF

---------------

Progressives stance is pretty clear here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its nevertheless bad optics/politics to be holding up the relief bill for it.

just make it a separate bill and nuke the filibuster

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    override the parliamentarian?

Trent Lott FIRED the parliamentarian for ruling against Repug programs in 2001

The parliamentarian is an advisor to the Vice-President, has no power to enforce or punish.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

Isn’t Moscow Manchin pretty dead set on keeping the filibuster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn’t Moscow Manchin pretty dead set on keeping the filibuster?
    hes also dead set against 15/hr

in the meantime you're holding up covid aid

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the problem with some who live in a bubble and think the whole rest of the US is just like them - it just doesn't seem to get through their pretty little heads that maybe $15 in NYC ain't the equivalent in WV.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, all those kids with bright futures as coal miners....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the problem with some who live in a bubble and think the whole rest of the US is just like them - it just doesn't seem to get through their pretty little heads that maybe $15 in NYC ain't the equivalent in WV.
    Did Trump bring coal mining jobs back yet?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only "optics" Repugs care about is

1) being seen to scorched-earth OBSTRUCT everything from the Dems, which the party discipline demands

2) pleasing their BigDonor class.

They, in their safe-seat/gerrymandered/voter-oppressed districts and states, don't give the tiniest about how their voters "optic" them

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to get the relief bill now.
    Whatever it takes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're going to believe the Malaysian incel?

I mean it could even be true, but you for your sources.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You just posted an Ian Miles-Cheong tweet claiming things are 50% more expensive in Denmark and it didn't even occur to you that it might be bull .

The New York Times, for instance, found that Big Macs cost “about 27 cents more on average in Denmark than in the United States.” But according to the “Big Mac Index” from the Economist, a Big Mac in Norway costs 76 cents less in “Denmark (US $4.90) than in the United States (US$5.66) at market exchange rates.”
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mc...rkers-denmark/

Why do you guys keep going back to the well on these ing hucksters? Aren't you tired of being duped?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

This is the way.

$15 an hour as a federal minimum is bonkers anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's on Karrin'O'clock time I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index

"50% more"

Nope. Purchasing power is roughly equivalent, despite the slightly overvalued US currency.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No chance with manchin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just posted an Ian Miles-Cheong tweet claiming things are 50% more expensive in Denmark and it didn't even occur to you that it might be bull .

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mc...rkers-denmark/

Why do you guys keep going back to the well on these ing hucksters? Aren't you tired of being duped?
    You beat me to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Karrin botting an incel posting from Malaysia about Danish Big Macs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the way.

$15 an hour as a federal minimum is bonkers anyway.
    agreed

and to all the people saying "but manchin will never get rid of filibuster"... its not like manchin is supporting the 15/hr anyway

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No chance with manchin.
    Sinema Must be a true centrist because there is no reason for her to be scared of wanting to get rid of it. Mark Kelly, freshly elected is seemingly fine with getting rid of the filibuster or voting for 15 min wage and he's up for relection in 2 years.

That could change but she's on some power trip for sure.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Everyone seems to assume that every McDonald's (or Wendy's, or Pizza Hut, or whatever other token fast food chain is used in these discussions) is owned by a corporate en y and that higher wages for workers are coming out of those people's bloated paychecks and bonuses. That's not how it works. Fast food spots are often owned by some independent franchisee who pays royalties to the corporate brand for the rights to use their trademarks and recipes. A lot of times it's someone who worked their way up through restaurants on their own. Their margins are extremely tight as it is. $15 an hour for their whole staff is not a viable option.

Meanwhile, the other company everyone likes to bring up, Walmart... Yes, Walmart can afford to pay $15 per hour. That's just another built-in advantage they're going to have over smaller businesses anytime they open in a rural area. So margins have already increased for small businesses, and now their biggest compe or has an easier time eating them alive because they won't have those issues.

If you're going to make a drastic change in minimum wage you should make allowances for the size and revenue of the business ownership and the cost of living. But then you'd be left with complex legislation that makes it harder to explain in a tweet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone seems to assume that every McDonald's (or Wendy's, or Pizza Hut, or whatever other token fast food chain is used in these discussions) is owned by a corporate en y and that higher wages for workers are coming out of those people's bloated paychecks and bonuses. That's not how it works. Fast food spots are often owned by some independent franchisee who pays royalties to the corporate brand for the rights to use their trademarks and recipes. A lot of times it's someone who worked their way up through restaurants on their own. Their margins are extremely tight as it is. $15 an hour for their whole staff is not a viable option.

Meanwhile, the other company everyone likes to bring up, Walmart... Yes, Walmart can afford to pay $15 per hour. That's just another built-in advantage they're going to have over smaller businesses anytime they open in a rural area. So margins have already increased for small businesses, and now their biggest compe or has an easier time eating them alive because they won't have those issues.

If you're going to make a drastic change in minimum wage you should make allowances for the size and revenue of the business ownership and the cost of living. But then you'd be left with complex legislation that makes it harder to explain in a tweet.
    costco also pays above min wage

but agreed re: fast food franchises

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    costco also pays above min wage
    And they should. CostCo stores are usually located in metro areas where the cost of living is higher, and they're certainly a big and profitable enough business to survive on higher wages.

Walmart should pay those wages (among other benefits) as a rule. But we shouldn't force mom and pop stores to play on the same field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am a racist and I am liable to go to for laughing at

* dog munching d-word*

Thread Information