Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's not much to elaborate, you're saying what they "would've" done as a fact when the truth is you have no idea tbh. But that's par for the course for today's nba lovers
    It’s obvious with what Jordan, Magic, Dream and Chick pulled that they would have done the same if given the opportunity
    They were a bunch of whiners too

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It’s obvious with what Jordan, Magic, Dream and Chick pulled that they would have done the same if given the opportunity
    They were a bunch of whiners too
    That's just more speculation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just more speculation
    like you speculate that today’s players WOULD NOT have survived in the 80s 90s?

that’s rich

At least the players I mentioned have demonstrated their behaviour when things don’t go their way, so it’s not something I made up

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares. The nets need defense and rim protection. If anything he takes away minute from more deserving players and makes their defense worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New norm

Yeah if only le virgin and 2 time defending MVP free agent Moses Malone didn’t team up with stacked and perennial le contender 76ers in 82-83

If only Barkley didn’t force a trade to a compe ive Suns team in 92 or to Houston in 96 with Dream and Drexler after spectacularly failing to deliver a le to Phoenix

Do we need to go on or are you afraid to remove your nostalgic biased goggles ?
    Did Barkley demand a trade to NY and NY only so he can play with Patrick Ewing? Did Ewing demand a trade to play with Reggie and the Pacers? The 90's were mostly about teams built around the solo star.. And if you had 2 in Malone and Stockton they both got drafted.. Now lets look at the Duncan era.. We had amazing rivalries in the West did we NOT? Shaq and Kobe, Tim, Dirk, Nash, all at the center of contending teams.. Was there any talk of Dirk being frustrated that Dallas can't get over the hump demanding a trade to SA? Or that Dirk wanted to play in Phoenix with Nash and Amare? Or even leaving in FA to tag up with anybody? Not that I heard.. Tim had a cup of coffee with Orlando and it went nowhere.. He stayed loyal..

This has become a game of who can out buddy up.. I am NOT saying it never happened in past era's.. I am saying it is NOW the norm to the point that all the young players coming up will see this as the only way to win rings. Rivalries are going out the window.. KD did this 2 times.. OKC and GS was a potential rivalry in the West.. GS and the Cavs just came off an epic finals.. More was to come.. But when he teamed up with GS he rigged the league for 3 years.. Now here we are again..
    Last edited by dbreiden83080; 03-07-2021 at 05:24 PM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    whats funny is how a guy averaging 12/5/4 has so many people butthurt over "buddying up", as if aging ringless stars signing with a contender for cheap is something that hasnt been going on for the past 40 years.

this isn't even remotely comparable to what KD did, which was literally the only case of where "buddying up" legitimately ruined the balance of the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whats funny is how a guy averaging 12/5/4 has so many people butthurt over "buddying up", as if aging ringless stars signing with a contender for cheap is something that hasnt been going on for the past 40 years.

this isn't even remotely comparable to what KD did, which was literally the only case of where "buddying up" legitimately ruined the balance of the league.
    Because Lebron, Wade and Chris Bosh hitting the Finals 4 times in a row barely rose above noise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not trolling I’m serious, if you can’t handle the truth that’s too bad, grandpa
    It's ok you are a grumpy 60 years old man with a personal vendetta against MJ.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Superteams: NBA can't sustain interest with only the product on the court. They will increasingly showcase the drama and social/political beliefs of their stars off the court. Behind closed doors the NBA probably believes it has the ability and duty to take a leadership role in the black community. Keep in mind this is predominately non-blacks in these rooms

I am in my 30s. Older than most the players. Increasingly can't relate with what they want, think or even frankly verbalize. I don't envision myself ever returning to this sports league as a fan and even my Fandom for Duke basketball is being challenged. After Mike Krzyzewski retires I'll likely be out after 25+ years. Sidenote: these discussions of lack in fundamentals, commitment and mindset are also being had at the College level. This is beyond just the NBA. I think amchang hit nail on head mentioning media.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    This is like Amare Stoudemire to Dallas. Anyone suggesting he is helping a stacked team be even more stacked hasn’t watched Blake play the last two years. It’s not only the fact that his knees are shot and now he shoots more three pointers than two pointers. It’s also he’s a slow it down, pound the ball, halfcourt player in a league where even the slowest teams play mostly in transition or delayed transition and first good shot offense. The Pistons as bad as they’ve been this year have been a million times more aesthetically pleasing to watch when Blake has been out. He doesn’t fit this league. His body can’t really play at this level anymore.

But I will say he may have some value as a 15 minute per game forward facilitator when the Nets might want to play a little more halfcourt, for whatever unlikely reason. I can see him getting 8 points and 4 rebounds in short minutes against the opposing team’s back-ups. But playing a much bigger role than that, I’d find it very surprising.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Because Lebron, Wade and Chris Bosh hitting the Finals 4 times in a row barely rose above noise.
    and they lost twice in the finals, were taken to 7 in another finals, and were taken to 7 several times in earlier playoff series. they werent cruising through the playoffs halfheartedly like GS was

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s ok your are a 90 year old man with a weird fetish for the 90s

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever.

He's washed.

If he can bully some rebounds and hit an occassional trey good for the Nyets.

Another grossly overpaid NBA player.

Doubt it's gonna make any team pay for Softridge but at least after Griffin is signed that equal option will be gone.
    So Griffin is pretty much Amare Stoudemire career arc 2.0? uva flashy dunker and powerful at the rim early in his career but later on reduced to a washed up big softy who's only good for a few jumpers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Griffin is pretty much Amare Stoudemire career arc 2.0? uva flashy dunker and powerful at the rim early in his career but later on reduced to a washed up big softy who's only good for a few jumpers?
    If the Twinky Nets can get him on some super duper PEDs and diet and exercise program maybe he could be better then he has been this year? I would think the Pistons already tried that but who knows. I haven't seen much of the Pistons but what I saw of him is he can only muscle now. Not much mobility.

He should be able to provide spot minutes and more minutes in the upcoming long 2nd half season. Plus since he raped the Pistons i don't think the Nyets are paying him much.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Who cares. The nets need defense and rim protection. If anything he takes away minute from more deserving players and makes their defense worse.
    i'm REALLY hoping the nets think blake is just what they need and don't make anymore moves

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

There are a lot of guys who were fans of Ewing, Malone, Miller or whoever, and because MJ kept those guys from eating, their fans hate the guy with a passion. I do suspect we have a few of those in this forum.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i'm REALLY hoping the nets think blake is just what they need and don't make anymore moves
    Exactly.

Lateral move. Doesn't move the needle.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Even KG had to be convinced that finally leaving the Twolves was a good move. Initially, he did not want to go to Boston.

I'm not inclined to totally blame the media exalting Jordan's ring count and sterling finals record as the standard, which in turn forced todays star's hands. It is part of it, and the other part is that most guys now are just wired differently. Shout out to Dame and few other real ones for staying loyal and grinding.

Did Barkley demand a trade to NY and NY only so he can play with Patrick Ewing? Did Ewing demand a trade to play with Reggie and the Pacers? The 90's were mostly about teams built around the solo star.. And if you had 2 in Malone and Stockton they both got drafted.. Now lets look at the Duncan era.. We had amazing rivalries in the West did we NOT? Shaq and Kobe, Tim, Dirk, Nash, all at the center of contending teams.. Was there any talk of Dirk being frustrated that Dallas can't get over the hump demanding a trade to SA? Or that Dirk wanted to play in Phoenix with Nash and Amare? Or even leaving in FA to tag up with anybody? Not that I heard.. Tim had a cup of coffee with Orlando and it went nowhere.. He stayed loyal..

This has become a game of who can out buddy up.. I am NOT saying it never happened in past era's.. I am saying it is NOW the norm to the point that all the young players coming up will see this as the only way to win rings. Rivalries are going out the window.. KD did this 2 times.. OKC and GS was a potential rivalry in the West.. GS and the Cavs just came off an epic finals.. More was to come.. But when he teamed up with GS he rigged the league for 3 years.. Now here we are again..

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Good comparison

Maybe Amare had the superior coach & PG but I do rate him a little above Blake. Much prefer his ego.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even KG had to be convinced that finally leaving the Twolves was a good move. Initially, he did not want to go to Boston.

I'm not inclined to totally blame the media exalting Jordan's ring count and sterling finals record as the standard, which in turn forced todays star's hands. It is part of it, and the other part is that most guys now are just wired differently. Shout out to Dame and few other real ones for staying loyal and grinding.
    Social media plays a huge role in how these guys are wired. I think it was either Andre Iguodola or some other player mentioned a few years ago that how during halftime guys are on their phones checking their stats and what people were saying about them on social media. Social media s with their mind and creates great insecurity. This feeds in these players feeling desperate to get a ring at all cost to silences all the haters on social media. I really do believe this played a role with KD and Lebron creating multiple super teams. Both are very sensitive and care what people say about them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot of guys who were fans of Ewing, Malone, Miller or whoever, and because Stern kept those guys from eating, their fans hate the guy with a passion. I do suspect we have a few of those in this forum.
    fify

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There are a lot of guys who were fans of Ewing, Malone, Miller or whoever, and because MJ kept those guys from eating, their fans hate the guy with a passion. I do suspect we have a few of those in this forum.
    Bird and Jordan. When is the last time the East was great. Both in my Starting 5

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Did Stern have a 48 inch vertical leap?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Social media plays a huge role in how these guys are wired. I think it was either Andre Iguodola or some other player mentioned a few years ago that how during halftime guys are on their phones checking their stats and what people were saying about them on social media. Social media s with their mind and creates great insecurity. This feeds in these players feeling desperate to get a ring at all cost to silences all the haters on social media. I really do believe this played a role with KD and Lebron creating multiple super teams. Both are very sensitive and care what people say about them.
    It's a good point.

Now it begs the question of how would yesterday's players have handled the tech era? Jordan read all the buzz about himself back then and was pretty sensitive, himself.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Did Stern have a 48 inch vertical leap?

MJ's 48 inch vertical leap is like Wilt beating mountain lion. Myth. But Jordan had outstanding 42-43 inch verical.

Seriously, NBA rim height is 10 feet. Jordan was 6'6'' in shoes. On his dunks his head was on the level or just slightly below rim level. That means 42-43 inches. Jordan had never dunked with his head being 5 inches higher than rim

Thread Information