Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A new study suggests that a particular mix of personality traits and unconscious cognition -- the ways our brains take in basic information -- is a strong predictor for extremist views across a range of beliefs, including nationalism and religious fervour. Across all ideologies investigated by the researchers, people who endorsed "extreme pro-group action," including ideologically-motivated violence against others, had a surprisingly consistent psychological profile.

Subtle difficulties with complex mental processing may subconsciously push people towards extreme doctrines that provide clearer, more defined explanations of the world, making them susceptible to toxic forms of dogmatic and authoritarian ideologies. The extremist mind -- a mixture of conservative and dogmatic psychological signatures -- is cognitively cautious, slower at perceptual processing and has a weaker working memory. This is combined with impulsive personality traits that seek sensation and risky experiences.

So, it is scientifically proven that extremists such as maga and/or religious people have difficulties and are slower at processing complex problems, have a weaker working memory and more likely to believe in conspiracy theories.

It is a complex read so most likely the group I mentioned won't read or not understand it.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rstb.2020.0424

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smells of derp all the way, so it would confirm him as a stupid extremist.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Church of Woke

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A new study suggests that a particular mix of personality traits and unconscious cognition -- the ways our brains take in basic information -- is a strong predictor for extremist views across a range of beliefs, including nationalism and religious fervour. Across all ideologies investigated by the researchers, people who endorsed "extreme pro-group action," including ideologically-motivated violence against others, had a surprisingly consistent psychological profile.

Subtle difficulties with complex mental processing may subconsciously push people towards extreme doctrines that provide clearer, more defined explanations of the world, making them susceptible to toxic forms of dogmatic and authoritarian ideologies. The extremist mind -- a mixture of conservative and dogmatic psychological signatures -- is cognitively cautious, slower at perceptual processing and has a weaker working memory. This is combined with impulsive personality traits that seek sensation and risky experiences.

So, it is scientifically proven that extremists such as maga and/or religious people have difficulties and are slower at processing complex problems, have a weaker working memory and more likely to believe in conspiracy theories.

It is a complex read so most likely the group I mentioned won't read or not understand it.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rstb.2020.0424
    There are people out there that are engineers and programmers that have extreme conservative views and believe in conspiracies. You would think those people would be able to process complex problems since their jobs require it but still ended up with extreme views. How would you explain those people ending up with extreme views?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There are people out there that are engineers and programmers that have extreme conservative views and believe in conspiracies. You would think those people would be able to process complex problems since their jobs require it but still ended up with extreme views. How would you explain those people ending up with extreme views?
    Royal Society Publishing is British. I am guessing Islam is a larger part of their data than MAGA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Royal Society Publishing is British. I am guessing Islam is a larger part of their data than MAGA.
    Fundamentalist Islam and maga are both very conservative movements

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    MAGA is more nationalist than religious, when comparing to Islam. I think many Republicans that turned their back on Trump in 2020 election were rural religious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does it say about creating sock puppets online to support your own positions?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MAGA is more nationalist than religious, when comparing to Islam. I think many Republicans that turned their back on Trump in 2020 election were rural religious.
    I think you got that backwards... IIRC, he slipped greatly in the suburbs/among educated voters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's amusing how the echo chamber here never challenges claims from the members.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does it say about creating sock puppets online to support your own positions?
    Who is derp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said Fundamentalist Islam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said Fundamentalist Islam.
    If he said "fundamentalist Christian" would you draw such a distinction?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, fundamentalist Muslims. Renowned supporters of secularism, lgbt and abortion rights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he said "fundmentalist Christian" would you draw such a distinction?
    Sure. I would surmise he's not referring to the vast majority of Christians.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That the Republican Party is islamophobic doesn’t change that fundamentalist Islam is conservative in nature. Part of that is nationalism and similar sentiments of ingroup superiority. The parties might not be compatible (not that there is a fundamentalist Muslim party in the US), but that does not mean they are not both conservative

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, while there might be some overlap in certain areas (ie: Allah), I just don't think your average American muslim is really anywhere near as fundamentalist as an Iranian muslim, for example.

Just the mere fact that the Iranian is living in a theocracy that has harsh penalties for infidels makes me think there's probably ample difference between them.

And I'm not even talking about the radicalized kind here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, fundamentalist Muslims. Renowned supporters of secularism, lgbt and abortion rights
    In a survey of American Muslims, 0% identified as lesbian or gay. Here’s the story behind that statistic

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/us/lg...pride-progress

Blacks are lukewarm to gay marriage, but most say businesses must provide wedding services to gay couples

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...o-gay-couples/

Not all political affiliation is about supporting causes of that movement. It's as much, if not more about that movement supporting them. This is true for both sides.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, while there might be some overlap in certain areas (ie: Allah), I just don't think your average American muslim is really anywhere near as fundamentalist as an Iranian muslim, for example.

Just the mere fact that the Iranian is living in a theocracy that has harsh penalties for infidels makes me think there's probably ample difference between them.

And I'm not even talking about the radicalized kind here.
    There's a difference between a fundamentalist and an extremist. Unlike the Bible, there's no Pope to use hand-wavium for political pressure relief. There are some fundamentalists who are also reformists but still believe in the fundamental teachings of the Qu'ran.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a difference between a fundamentalist and an extremist. Unlike the Bible, there's no Pope to use hand-wavium for political pressure relief. There are some fundamentalists who are also reformists but still believe in the fundamental teachings of the Qu'ran.
    Still cannot admit when wrong.

The US Islams as a whole don't want their religion to go back to when Abu was Calphi 1300 years ago like the Salalfists do which is what is taught at madrasa from North Africa to Pakistan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That the Republican Party is islamophobic doesn’t change that fundamentalist Islam is conservative in nature. Part of that is nationalism and similar sentiments of ingroup superiority. The parties might not be compatible (not that there is a fundamentalist Muslim party in the US), but that does not mean they are not both conservative
    So they just magically lose their religious beliefs when they come to the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they just magically lose their religious beliefs when they come to the US.
    Islam is not monolithic, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The US Islams as a whole don't want their religion to go back to when Abu was Calphi 1300 years ago like the Salalfists do which is what is taught at madrasa from North Africa to Pakistan.
    The US Muslims do not have liberal values like your run of-the mill liberal democrat. Their values align more closely with the right, even though they vote left. In fact, many minorities, especially immigrants will support the left because of what the left can do for them. It's not about the moral values of the left. It's about how easy the left is to guilt into submission via social media pressure. So from that standpoint, perhaps a lot of those who purport to support the left are conservative, since a fair amount of self preservation instinct defines conservatism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Islam is not monolithic, dumbass.
    Fuzzy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how the echo chamber here does the handoff in the relay race to a huge L.

Thread Information