Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
    Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL @ giving polticians from either side credit for distributing the vaccine. So simplistic. No one DIDN'T want to distribute the vaccine. Government simply did what governments are supposed to do. Most of the heavy lifting on distribution was done by the states anyway...red and blue.
    This. The vaccine was going to get distributed no matter what. The only difference specific to the vaccine rollout that I can think of if Trump were still in office would be that there would be a lower percentage of Trump supporters refusing to take it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had pretty universal mask usage during the surges too. Last year the first Texas surge start around the end of May. So I'm taking a let's see what happens view. It could be that regional patterns will show themselves as time goes on. We are probably watching how seasonality develops for the first time in human history.

Or maybe Abbot is right and Texans have mastered safe practices.
    You're remembering wrong, mask usage in the area dropped off a cliff the first couple of days of May when Abbott told cities they couldn't enforce mask mandates. When I'd go grocery shopping in Universal City immediately after that proclamation mask usage dropped from about 95% to 65%, and in Schertz it dropped from about 95% to 40%. Mask usage didn't start picking up again until we were deep in the summer surge by the end of June / beginning of July when Abbott issued the statewide mask mandate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL @ giving polticians from either side credit for distributing the vaccine. So simplistic. No one DIDN'T want to distribute the vaccine. Government simply did what governments are supposed to do. Most of the heavy lifting on distribution was done by the states anyway...red and blue.
    This. The vaccine was going to get distributed no matter what. The only difference specific to the vaccine rollout that I can think of if Trump were still in office would be that there would be a lower percentage of Trump supporters refusing to take it.
    Disagree, Biden invoked the DPA for vaccine production, which Trump didn't. It was an obvious call to make but Trump didn't make obvious calls a lot of the time. Not trying to say this was an amazing or heroic move from Biden or anything, any competent 12 year-old would have probably done the same.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree, Biden invoked the DPA for vaccine production, which Trump didn't. It was an obvious call to make but Trump didn't make obvious calls a lot of the time. Not trying to say this was an amazing or heroic move from Biden or anything, any competent 12 year-old would have probably done the same.
    Trump didn't invoke the DPA for vaccine production because by the time the vaccine was ready to be mass produced he had already lost the election and no longer gave a . Trump invoked the DPA plenty of times for ventilators, PPE, tests and other things. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have done it for vaccines had he won the election, especially given how he would have been the one to get the opportunity to go claim credit (much of it undeservedly so) instead of Biden.

Trump's a and his fan club are idiots, but there's no way Trump was going to pass up an opportunity to do something easy that he could brag about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump's a and his fan club are idiots, but there's no way Trump was going to pass up an opportunity to do something easy that he could brag about.
    And yet he did because he's a spoiled child.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet he did because he's a spoiled child.
    What he did was pass up the opportunity to do something that Biden would get to brag about, because he's a spoiled child.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump didn't invoke the DPA for vaccine production because by the time the vaccine was ready to be mass produced he had already lost the election and no longer gave a . Trump invoked the DPA plenty of times for ventilators, PPE, tests and other things. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have done it for vaccines had he won the election, especially given how he would have been the one to get the opportunity to go claim credit (much of it undeservedly so) instead of Biden.

This was such a easy political slamdunk, even after losing, but it just goes to show how stupid and emo that little was...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What he did was pass up the opportunity to do something that Biden would get to brag about, because he's a spoiled child.
    He could have bragged about it and talked about how the Democrats would have never had the balls to invoke it.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was such a easy political slamdunk, even after losing, but it just goes to show how stupid and emo that little was...
    No argument there.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could have bragged about it and talked about how the Democrats would have never had the balls to invoke it.
    No doubt he could have. By that time though he had moved his focus from Covid to subverting democracy.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole onset of the virus was never going to be easy for a country or leader as large and diverse and transportable as ours. So Trump takes the easy way out when he finds out and agrees with the idea that experts cant be trusted because they are going to give you diverse opinion early on when something so new. Make up cures. Hire people to do difficult jobs. And then make masks and distancing a political football. And he will never ever live it down when we look back at this.
    Bottom line is he clearly cost this country lives with this stupid non unified BS. He took cues from advisors who pandered to the ignorant populist madness to keep straight with his fanatical base.
    Last edited by pgardn; 04-30-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole onset of the virus was never going to be easy for a country or leader as large and diverse and transportable as ours. So Trump takes the easy way out when he finds out and agrees with the idea that experts cant be trusted because they are going to give you diverse opinion early on when something so new. Make up cures. Hire people to do difficult jobs. And then make masks and distancing a political football. And he will never ever live it down when we look back at this.
    Bottom line is he clearly cost this country lives with this stupid non unified BS. He took cues from advisors who pandered to the ignorant populist madness to keep straight with his fanatical base.
    Trump flipped on covid when it became apparent that lockdowns were hurting the economy. The economy was his shiny trophy and covid was going to tarnish it so he downplayed the seriousness of it and latched on to any readily available product that anyone said might help. Yes, he botched a lot of things, no argument from me there. My only point is that he wouldn't have botched the vaccine rollout if he were the one who was going to get to claim credit for it going well, and that there are people out there refusing to get vaccinated because of politics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, with a distotion.

Trumps administration took a hands off, "there is no problem" approach, other than the embattled CDC people whose job it was to deal with the problem.

His administration was, by all accounts, thinly staffed, with people chosen less for competence than for an ability to ingratiate themselves.

I have no doubt they would have wanted to help distrubute vaccines, just as I have little doubt that Biden's bunch probably did a better job all around than Trumps would have.

Trump's entire administration was littered with half-assed incompetence.

Why do you think this would have been different?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump flipped on covid when it became apparent that lockdowns were hurting the economy. The economy was his shiny trophy and covid was going to tarnish it so he downplayed the seriousness of it and latched on to any readily available product that anyone said might help. Yes, he botched a lot of things, no argument from me there. My only point is that he wouldn't have botched the vaccine rollout if he were the one who was going to get to claim credit for it going well, and that there are people out there refusing to get vaccinated because of politics.
    No doubt we would have wanted it to go well.

I have a doubt as to whether the rubes working for him could do it.

Jared's interns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess we just got lucky

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everyone.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got fortunate this virus was an easy target for a vaccine.
    Then we got sane and threw out a horrible president.

We will get lucky when Abbott, Paxton, and Patrick get the out of Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess we just got lucky
    Muh zip code lived

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it was all luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Florida has that same drive

"Florida’s ban on mask mandates came under increasing scrutiny from government health officials on Sunday as the surging Delta variant pushed new daily cases of Covid-19 in the state to a record high.

The 21,683 new cases reported on Saturday was Florida’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic. It came one day after Ron DeSantis signed an executive order prohibiting school districts from requiring staff and students to wear masks...….."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-ron-desantis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    25 cases today in Bexar county....Twenty....five.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

The Gov would like his apology now
    Excellent post. Excellent.... Post.

SAN ANTONIO – Bexar County COVID-19 cases continue to climb and send more people to the hospital amid a nationwide resurgence of the virus.

Statistics released Tuesday showed sharp jumps in key indicators over the previous set of numbers released on July 21, six days earlier. The seven-day average for new cases leapt up 62%, from 363 to 589, and the number of people with COVID-19 in the hospital jumped up 47%, from 397 to 585, of which 182 are in the ICU.

The hospital numbers are more than quadruple the week between June 23 and June 29 when there was a weekly average of 135 COVID-positive patients in area hospitals and 44 in the ICU.

The positivity rate for COVID-19 tests also continued to shoot up. It jumped from 13.5% for the week ending July 16 to 17% for the week ending July 23. Less than a month earlier, it was only 3.8% for the week ending June 25.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...ppear-stalled/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks, Greg Abbott

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks, Greg Abbott
    Abbutt is taking a stand for personal responsibility

meaning

everybody, society, I am a Rugged Texas Individual with no responsibility to the Common Good, my family, my friends, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbutt is taking a stand for personal responsibility

meaning

everybody, society, I am a Rugged Texas Individual with no responsibility to the Common Good, my family, my friends, etc
    But will be asking for another federal handout soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The coronavirus situation in Texas, as well as Florida, has increasingly caught the attention of the White House. During a briefing Thursday morning, Jeff Zients, the White House’s COVID-19 response coordinator, noted that the two states, over the past seven days, have made up one-third of new cases nationwide and over one-third of new hospitalizations...."

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08...-demographics/

How are we letting Florida win this thing. C'mon now

Thread Information