Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, none of those bad contracts people are trying to move are going anywhere. They’ll be there this summer if the FA thing doesn’t pan out. If you take them now, you close off options. FA, or other trades that may become available after the season.
    Which is why a S&T is on the table this summer. The team that wants Derozan would be more incentivized to trade assets away knowing he's going to be signed with them long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be surprised to hear they overplayed their hand last year. They have overplayed their hand so often these last few years that they haven’t been able to make any good trades.
    Asking for a first round draft pick is overplaying your hand?
    Second round picks are not worth a lot.
    I would agree on some levels they may have misplayed this- but I strongly suspect very little was out there- that is his market was pretty low even last year.
    Even a late first taking back salary doesn't sound that attractive.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I do find it funny that there are posters here who talk about how the spurs treating their players right and not just looking to trade them for the best deal has some real impact and yet when they wanted LMA to come of the bench he pouted said no and pretty much left the team never to return... yet the spurs are still going to "do right by him"...

NBA front office version of being a cuck...
    Guaranteeing all of LMA's salary this season only to buy him out months later. ing embarrassing front office. Its the Carroll situation all over again. Ever since Wright was hired, this team has done nothing right outside of the draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be surprised to hear they overplayed their hand last year. They have overplayed their hand so often these last few years that they haven’t been able to make any good trades.
    A trade would have been much easier if they didn't gift all $24 million of LMA's salary this year. He was only guaranteed $7 mil this season. Spurs acted like a ”classy” organization and LMA still pouted and whined about being benched. Meanwhile, Celtics and Lakers treat their players like cattle and everybody still lines up to play for them. Nice guys always finish last. Spurs truly are the cucks of the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A trade would have been much easier if they didn't gift all $24 million of LMA's salary this year. He was only guaranteed $7 mil this season. Spurs acted like a ”classy” organization and LMA still pouted and whined about being benched. Meanwhile, Celtics and Lakers treat their players like cattle and everybody still lines up to play for them. Nice guys always finish last. Spurs truly are the cucks of the NBA
    There’s always deal to make specially last season. The Grizzlies traded a worse looking Marc Gasol who had been quarreling with his coach on a horrible tanking Grizzlies team (and Conley) and launched themselves into a rebuild that just the immediate year after saw them improve. They are nowhere near great but their team is very young and Jackson is always injured apparently that’s bad luck. They got a lot of miscellaneous vets and veterans they rerouted to other teams the season after and got pieces they wanted to keep. Heck they traded the untradeable albatross that was Chandler Parsons who had not played in two years and was awful when he did and who was refusing to rehab in the gleague... There’s no one telling me there weren’t deals. They likely did overvalue LMA (them picking his option supports this). They just haven’t been savvy making deals to improve the team... and that’s likely to stay the same as long as they have the same management.

still hoping for a trade though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guaranteeing all of LMA's salary this season only to buy him out months later. ing embarrassing front office. Its the Carroll situation all over again. Ever since Wright was hired, this team has done nothing right outside of the draft.
    Funny that you think Wright is in charge. We all know it’s

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny that you think Wright is in charge. We all know it’s
    Pop, Buford, Wright... whoever's in charge doesn't change the fact that the front office has been in shambles since the Kawhi trade to Toronto. Just one bad move after another

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How would it be easier?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop, Buford, Wright... whoever's in charge doesn't change the fact that the front office has been in shambles since the Kawhi trade to Toronto. Just one bad move after another

Strength has been in drafting/player development and cap management. But not so much in adaption, trades, etc. Cap space is great, if you feel like you can attract players, but LMA was the exception to the rule. Our last 2? big free agents: 1 backed out and screwed us over. The other came in lazy and uninterested in learning the plays and was cut after a few months ... Rudy Gay was a good signing, would have paid off better if nephew didn't screw us over...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was before Nephew left. That Pau Gasol contract is a good starting point. Wright may still be in the dog house after that Marcus Morris debacle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, the Celtics did treat a very prominent player like and have paid for it ever since. Big FAs have declared they're not signing there. (Also the city is pretty ing racist.) The Lakers, however, can do anything they want, plus they get League help for nearly anything they do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Pau Gasol contract is a good starting point. .
    That Pau contract is overly emphasized (on the site in general, not necessarily your point.) Pau had a player option that he was likely to take. The Spurs wanted to make a run at Chris Paul and needed Pau to opt-out so they cold afford CP3. Then they colud re-sign Pau to a new contract with his Bird rights. Obviously, they had to make it worth Pau's time to opt-out so they gave him a richer contract. Unfortunately, CP3 blew off the Spurs for Houston. When he did that, the Spurs, being honest people and knowing if they renegged on their verbal agreement to Pau it would quickly become well-known in the market, gave him the agreed upon new contraact. Of course, it was bigger. Pau had to be incentivied to opt-out.

Everyone always wants the Spurs to swing for the fences, and this was a case of them trying to do it by getting CP3 price-be-damned, and why it isn't usually prudent to do so. You can argue it was a mistake, but it was a calcualated gamble that just didn't work in the Spurs' favor. It's not like PAFO were just morons or handing out loyalty contracts as is often asserted on ST. You roll the dice and sometimes you lose.
    Last edited by BillMc; 03-19-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Windhorst is 43
    Lebron 36
    Same high school but different years
    Windhorst was with Akron news paper and covered Lebron in high school then basically followed him to Cleveland and Miami
    Ok thanks for the clarification. I guess I got my info mixed up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big young FAs are mostly restricted like Collins and Lauri Markkadan and the trend is to match the offers no matter what and not lose “the asset”. We’ll have to overpay a lot to get the teams not to match.
    It used to be automatic that teams picked up all options on the rookie deal, too. That’s not 100% any more. ATL had their chance to extend them. Now, if they overpay on a match just to not lose him, they’ll have a harder time moving him. He won’t be a value like he is now. He may not even be break even. A team the overpays him with an offer won’t be looking to move him, so they won’t care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was almost two years ago, Oct 2019, and he was coming of an AS selection.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s not forget that when LMA’s contract was guaranteed, the Spurs had not committed to the youngsters and they were playing a different style with lots of iso.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s not forget that when LMA’s contract was guaranteed, the Spurs had not committed to the youngsters and they were playing a different style with lots of iso.
    Yes
    And in October 2019 Spurs youth movement wasn't anything to write home about....
    DJM- coming of an ACL missed the year
    LWIV- Coming off an injury plagued Rookie year
    KJ and Luka just drafted
    Derrick- Looked promising
    Not to mention Devin and Tre

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Pau contract is overly emphasized (on the site in general, not necessarily your point.) Pau had a player option that he was likely to take. The Spurs wanted to make a run at Chris Paul and needed Pau to opt-out so they cold afford CP3. Then they colud re-sign Pau to a new contract with his Bird rights. Obviously, they had to make it worth Pau's time to opt-out so they gave him a richer contract. Unfortunately, CP3 blew off the Spurs for Houston. When he did that, the Spurs, being honest people and knowing if they renegged on their verbal agreement to Pau it would quickly become well-known in the market, gave him the agreed upon new contraact. Of course, it was bigger. Pau had to be incentivied to opt-out.

Everyone always wants the Spurs to swing for the fences, and this was a case of them trying to do it by getting CP3 price-be-damned, and why it isn't usually prudent to do so. You can argue it was a mistake, but it was a calcualated gamble that just didn't work in the Spurs' favor. It's not like PAFO were just morons or handing out loyalty contracts as is often asserted on ST. You roll the dice and sometimes you lose.
    How dare you? Making sense of things and not just take them out of context? Is that the ST way? You, sir, should think long and hard next time you're about to post something like that. Or even better: don't think, just make something up and shout it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, Ex, we can't disrupt people's arguments with facts around here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s always deal to make specially last season. The Grizzlies traded a worse looking Marc Gasol who had been quarreling with his coach on a horrible tanking Grizzlies team (and Conley) and launched themselves into a rebuild that just the immediate year after saw them improve. They are nowhere near great but their team is very young and Jackson is always injured apparently that’s bad luck. They got a lot of miscellaneous vets and veterans they rerouted to other teams the season after and got pieces they wanted to keep. Heck they traded the untradeable albatross that was Chandler Parsons who had not played in two years and was awful when he did and who was refusing to rehab in the gleague... There’s no one telling me there weren’t deals. They likely did overvalue LMA (them picking his option supports this). They just haven’t been savvy making deals to improve the team... and that’s likely to stay the same as long as they have the same management.

still hoping for a trade though.
    And, they’re in 10th place. Houston has made big trade after big trade, and they’re in the toilet.

Trades aren’t everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here is Windhorst saying it. He's saying they could trade him tonight if they wanted to, but would have to take on a bad contract

Thanks for sharing. This was useful to know. It does seem like a buy out is 90% or over the likely scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And, they’re in 10th place. Houston has made big trade after big trade, and they’re in the toilet.

Trades aren’t everything.
    They are very useful in the right situation. This was one. Not a revisionist version either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have more of a problem with the initial overpriced contract with a Gasol, who was benched by the Lakers, then benched by the Bulls in the 4th quarters. Spurs payed top dollar for a player on an obvious decline. The re-sign was a side agreement that I think the Spurs should have honored and a nice thing for Gasol to do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How dare you? Making sense of things and not just take them out of context? Is that the ST way? You, sir, should think long and hard next time you're about to post something like that. Or even better: don't think, just make something up and shout it out.
    My apologies, my friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, a lot of Spurs fans would prefer all three of those players gone to benefit the youth movement.

This sounds like a "damned if the Spurs do and damned if the Spurs don't" type of situation when it doesn't need to be. It's only like that when you view it that way and ignore all the other plus factors.
    The Spurs entered the season with four solid veterans and could leave the off-season, losing all four without moving any for assets. That's not a damned if the Spurs don't type of situation, they could've moved at least some of them for assets while also making more playing time for the young players and possibly improving their own pick. That's technically a win-win.

Thread Information