Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    next time (to skip illinois) go through memphis (via evansville) and (if you want to skip arkansas) go through new orleans
    I actually don't hate the Arkansas drive if it's during the day and there's not a ing deluge storm. Arkansas raised their state speed limit to 75 and they can't pull over and ticket for under 82.5 as per their 10% rule so I cruise 80 through the state. I don't like driving there at night because there's too many wooded areas with deer.

Illinois sucks just because it's soooooooooo long and 70 instead of 75 which it should be. But I cruise 74-75 and never have any problems. It's just such long and boring stretches of endless corn fields. Also, gas is near West Coast levels of high in Illinois.

If you've ever driven the length of Tennessee, the I-81 - I-40 way, from east of Knoxville to Memphis (I have, one time)... that's a looooooooong pain in the ass, too. But at least there are some cities. The places I've been to and hung out in Nashville and Memphis are nice, but I've heard they are high murder cities if you go to the wrong places. Sure they have good music and great barbecue.

Louisiana, I've driven the I-10 way twice and the I-20 way once (last fall - that's where I blew my tire). Depending on the weather, all else being equal I'd probably rather drive through Arkansas than Louisiana. Louisiana's state speed limit is 70 and the highways are quite a bit worse actually.

I've been East so, soooooooo many times. I just want to go West once. I know the gas is higher, I'm prepared for it. At least I get the 3.0 + 1.75% reward for gas on my BOA credit card.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    OP wrong, per par... I-95 in New Jersey, max 65 MPH, depending on the zone...

https://www.state.nj.us/transportati...peed/rt95.shtm

EDIT:

there it is
    The thing about Jersey is it's a smaller state, roughly the size of all of Israel, so at least you can traverse from east Philly metro, NJ to the NY NJ metro area in a couple hours even at 65 MPH... but smart people there know where you can speed (the cities) and where you can't (the open road). If the speed limit in the country parts is 65 MPH, that's where you have to watch for speed traps and probably not risk going over 5 MPH over unless when you're in the process of passing a truck from the left lane.

From PA points east/northeastward, 65 MPH on the highway is the standard; the population density is high and the amount of land is small. You can probably get by with 70 MPH without getting pulled over, but I wouldn't chance 75. Maine is the exception, the speed limit on I-95 is 70 and so you can probably go 75.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Taken a lot of road trips out west and have only been pulled over on an interstate in Nevada going 88 in a 75 (was passing a truck full of rocks fwiw). Normally keep the cruise control within 5 mph of the speed limit. If you're in a rural area the most they can give you is a $40 ticket going 5 mph or less over the speed limit so they have bigger fish to fry.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Taken a lot of road trips out west and have only been pulled over on an interstate in Nevada going 88 in a 75 (was passing a truck full of rocks fwiw). Normally keep the cruise control within 5 mph of the speed limit. If you're in a rural area the most they can give you is a $40 ticket going 5 mph or less over the speed limit so they have bigger fish to fry.
    Yeah if it's just instantaneous like that and you're passing a hazardous vehicle from left to right they should never pull you over for that. As long as you pass with an ample amount of space and slow down to a reasonable speed once you pass the truck. Only sustained speeding can lead to a ticket, the general rule of thumb is you're allowed to temporarily speed for a few seconds if you're passing a slow and/or hazardous vehicle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Yeah if it's just instantaneous like that and you're passing a hazardous vehicle from left to right they should never pull you over for that. As long as you pass with an ample amount of space and slow down to a reasonable speed once you pass the truck. Only sustained speeding can lead to a ticket, the general rule of thumb is you're allowed to temporarily speed for a few seconds if you're passing a slow and/or hazardous vehicle.
    Eh, I've been pulled over twice for that. Don't think they give a for the cir stances unless they're actually an emergency.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Eh, I've been pulled over twice for that. Don't think they give a for the cir stances unless they're actually an emergency.
    Bet they just gave you a warning though, seems like an easy case to talk yourself out of. I've done it hundreds of times. I always watch for those evil speed traps (which should be federally banned) and my phone GPS is good at tracking about half of them.

I got pulled over 4 times in 3 states on my October trip (all warnings, only one of them a formal written warning) and none on my trip earlier this month.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Bet they just gave you a warning though, seems like an easy case to talk yourself out of. I've done it hundreds of times. I always watch for those evil speed traps (which should be federally banned) and my phone GPS is good at tracking about half of them.
    Nah, tickets both times. Only two times I got a ticket for speeding too.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Nah, tickets both times. Only two times I got a ticket for speeding too.
    That's re ed. Well if you're out of state you can ignore it, just don't drive through that state again I guess.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    That's re ed. Well if you're out of state you can ignore it, just don't drive through that state again I guess.
    it was in Nevada, so I paid that ASAP.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    it was in Nevada, so I paid that ASAP.
    what state is your residence/license plate? I'm guessing Arizona because of your college, so maybe they have reciprocity with NV? I know a lot of the New England/Northeast states have a "reciprocity" system in terms of enforcing tickets, points systems, etc.

The problem with just "paying" a ticket is it goes on your record and jacks up your insurance rates long term which is a lot worse problem than the ticket itself. Usually it's better to pay a lawyer the $75 or so to get it deferred adjudication (the one time I had a ticket I was 22, but it wasn't for speeding) and it won't go against your long term record. Also, the lawyer fee generally pays for itself because the lawyer can usually whittle down the fine by 25-50%.

No states have reciprocity to Texas, fwiw.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    what state is your residence/license plate? I'm guessing Arizona because of your college, so maybe they have reciprocity with NV? I know a lot of the New England/Northeast states have a "reciprocity" system in terms of enforcing tickets, points systems, etc.

The problem with just "paying" a ticket is it goes on your record and jacks up your insurance rates long term which is a lot worse problem than the ticket itself. Usually it's better to pay a lawyer the $75 or so to get it deferred adjudication (the one time I had a ticket I was 22, but it wasn't for speeding) and it won't go against your long term record. Also, the lawyer fee generally pays for itself because the lawyer can usually whittle down the fine by 25-50%.

No states have reciprocity to Texas, fwiw.
    I'm from SA, just went to college at ASU. I'm in that area of the country a lot, though. I just do defensive driving and it's off my record, and my insurance has gone down since then.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I'm from SA, just went to college at ASU. I'm in that area of the country a lot, though. I just do defensive driving and it's off my record, and my insurance has gone down since then.
    I guess the defensive driving class is the other option, but it's time consuming and costs about the same as a simple lawyer call to get deferred adjudication. If you're driving through that area of the country a lot then yeah ignoring it wouldn't be a great option because if they get you a second time and you defaulted on the first ticket they might be able to hold you in jail. But if it's a state you don't plan on ever going back to then defaulting is a fine option. In Texas I know that they won't hold out of state tickets against you when you go to renew registration, only in-state. And you can lie about it on insurance because if you defaulted that means you technically were never "convicted".

Thread Information