Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Bare with me, I'm jetlagged. I watched the Lakers-Wolves game last night and each team scores 40 in the second quarter? I know this is nothing new and happens regularly the past 7 years or so, but is this sustainable entertainment? It's just like the All-star game where people play on one end of the court.

and no, I'm not pining for 90's basketball with fist-fights and 77-76 final scores...just kinda bored because there's no compe ion element anymore. I was completely indifferent to last 2 years Lakers team (and this one too because I hate LeBron), but it's just not good anymore.

I'll still tune in occasionally because the talent level is off the charts and certain players are a joy to watch(Luka, etc), but the game itself blows.

Ironically, I've started watching hockey again seriously for the first time since the Panthers made their "rat run" to the cup 25 years ago.

anybody else on board with this, or am I just being a whiny got? Probably a got

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're a got but also 100% right.

Hope you've been well, my bro.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Maybe we don't need 90's fist fights but I'll take a 05 Spurs vs Pistons series anytime over this current BS. Quality defense and each possession is crucial.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday I watched highlights of a Bulls-Lakers games from the 96-97 season

The Bulls ended up winning that game, but holy they allowed 70 pts in the first half

But it was an anomaly TBH, NVE was hitting everything and Shaq couldn't miss either, he even made shots he wasn't supposed to make

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, I think players have finally reached the regular season fatigue, they've lost interest and just sit and wait for the playoffs where they will crank the intensity up, especially the top teams

In OP's exemple, I really doubt the Lakers gave a about playing D for 48 minutes in tht game

Top teams should get a regular season bye imo

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Fatigue

Dudes in peak physical condition playing essentially half court basketball for 30 min a night and not even suiting up for 25-30% of the games. Gotta love it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The disparity is getting way too large for teams to care. Sure there has always been discrepancy but now there are really a few teams that can compete against each other and everyone else is fodder. Teams either have three superstars or none and the quality of the products show. The players know too.

They are earning $20m a year so why would they jeopardize their health for a longer term control to kill it out there for no chance of winning (not the championship, but the game).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA sucks right now - got a few teams shammed together without drafting there stars that will likely play a non drama filled finals.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    literally hit the nail on the head. i couldn't have said it better in terms of what my thoughts on the NBA the past 5 years or so. you're right, the individual talent level is as good as it has ever been. Between guys hitting three's from 30 ft beyond the arc to a bunch of 6'10 ######freaks being able to play multiple positions. I was actually watching old clips of the 02 playoff series between the Kings/Lakers, which were the two best teams in the league that year and two of the best teams in the 00's. Outside of Shaq, Kobe, and Webber everyone else in that series would struggle to make an NBA roster today. Bibby and Stojakovic would probably play 8 minutes a game in today's league and both guys were All-Star calibre players during that time period.

however, the product then dwarfs the storm we have today. it's hard to pinpoint the exact source of the gotry we refer to as the "today's NBA". between the touch fouls, lack of defense, 1 on 1 dribble in place for 15 seconds offense, social media influence, players more concerned about doing their 'stanky leg tik tok celebrations' over actually winning the game, Jews peddling their political BS, all the soyboy mixed race mulatto "cotton candy haired" lookalikes, and uppity BLM ###### antics at an all time high it all just adds up to a sandwich. and all these elite players buddying up together and forming super teams also detracts from the overall compe iveness. I don't remember who posted this on here, but somebody mentioned that these players are constantly checking their social media during halftime instead of discussing X's and O's....and I think that's a major contributor to the gotry that is going on now. I look at a guy like Jeremy Lin and there's no doubt that

1) this guy is taking up his ass every night
    2) this guy probably checks his Instagram 100 times a day while blogging about his vegan avocado toast

i haven't watched an actual game on my own for 5 years. only games I've seen are if I'm at a guest at someone else's place. and even the coverage is about as low as it's ever been. come to think of it, a few months ago I was over at a friend's place who had a game on...they interrupted the game so that some sideline bimbo could ramble on and on about how some NBA player liked a controversial photo on twitter. and then at halftime some overpaid, multimillionaire negro was lecturing me on how he's oppressed in his gated community, I'm the problem, and that I need to help vote Trump out of office

tl;dr it all sucks

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    literally hit the nail on the head. i couldn't have said it better in terms of what my thoughts on the NBA the past 5 years or so. you're right, the individual talent level is as good as it has ever been. Between guys hitting three's from 30 ft beyond the arc to a bunch of 6'10 ######freaks being able to play multiple positions. I was actually watching old clips of the 02 playoff series between the Kings/Lakers, which were the two best teams in the league that year and two of the best teams in the 00's. Outside of Shaq, Kobe, and Webber everyone else in that series would struggle to make an NBA roster today. Bibby and Stojakovic would probably play 8 minutes a game in today's league and both guys were All-Star calibre players during that time period.

however, the product then dwarfs the storm we have today. it's hard to pinpoint the exact source of the gotry we refer to as the "today's NBA". between the touch fouls, lack of defense, 1 on 1 dribble in place for 15 seconds offense, social media influence, players more concerned about doing their 'stanky leg tik tok celebrations' over actually winning the game, Jews peddling their political BS, all the soyboy mixed race mulatto "cotton candy haired" lookalikes, and uppity BLM ###### antics at an all time high it all just adds up to a sandwich. and all these elite players buddying up together and forming super teams also detracts from the overall compe iveness. I don't remember who posted this on here, but somebody mentioned that these players are constantly checking their social media during halftime instead of discussing X's and O's....and I think that's a major contributor to the gotry that is going on now. I look at a guy like Jeremy Lin and there's no doubt that

1) this guy is taking up his ass every night
    2) this guy probably checks his Instagram 100 times a day while blogging about his vegan avocado toast

i haven't watched an actual game on my own for 5 years. only games I've seen are if I'm at a guest at someone else's place. and even the coverage is about as low as it's ever been. come to think of it, a few months ago I was over at a friend's place who had a game on...they interrupted the game so that some sideline bimbo could ramble on and on about how some NBA player liked a controversial photo on twitter. and then at halftime some overpaid, multimillionaire negro was lecturing me on how he's oppressed in his gated community, I'm the problem, and that I need to help vote Trump out of office

tl;dr it all sucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fatigue

Dudes in peak physical condition playing essentially half court basketball for 30 min a night and not even suiting up for 25-30% of the games. Gotta love it!
    not physical fatigue smh......

I’m talking boredom
    Let’s be real if you are the favourite you’ll find the regular season too boring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When watching YT highlights, 95% of the time, play by play guys aren’t even describing what’s taking place on the court , they only kinda react when the ball goes in the basket, and even then they’re like “oh and yes he just scored but I’m just waiting for the playoffs to start”

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Eat a d*ck white boys. We know NBA sucks is codeword for we hate minorities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bare with me, I'm jetlagged. I watched the Lakers-Wolves game last night and each team scores 40 in the second quarter? I know this is nothing new and happens regularly the past 7 years or so, but is this sustainable entertainment? It's just like the All-star game where people play on one end of the court.

and no, I'm not pining for 90's basketball with fist-fights and 77-76 final scores...just kinda bored because there's no compe ion element anymore. I was completely indifferent to last 2 years Lakers team (and this one too because I hate LeBron), but it's just not good anymore.

I'll still tune in occasionally because the talent level is off the charts and certain players are a joy to watch(Luka, etc), but the game itself blows.

Ironically, I've started watching hockey again seriously for the first time since the Panthers made their "rat run" to the cup 25 years ago.

See my Real NBA > Todays NBA thread. Sums all this bull up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we don't need 90's fist fights but I'll take a 05 Spurs vs Pistons series anytime over this current BS. Quality defense and each possession is crucial.

My Niggra!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, you're just not a twitter-addled twelve year old, which is the primary demographic the NBA caters to. I've said it countless times on here, basketball is a fundamentally broken sport. It all comes back to the 3 point shot and the imbalance of it being worth 50% more points than 2 point shots. It's actually no harder of a shot to make than long midrange 2s and only marginally harder than close range 2s. This is the primary reason for NBA games feeling like glorified All Star games or streetball. Because the 3 pointer is such a potent weapon, teams have to prioritize defending it above all else, which translates into spacing you could pilot a cruise ship through. And with that, easy dribble-drives or drives-and-kicks, where it looks like zero defense is being played.

I actually think basketball would be a much better sport if scores were around the 70ish mark. Buckets would mean more and a ten point lead would actually feel like a lead instead of de facto tie, which it basically is in the modern game. As it stands, the criticism that basketball isn't worth watching until the last two minutes is truer than ever before.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 03-20-2021 at 12:29 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eat a d*ck white boys. We know NBA sucks is codeword for we hate minorities.
    0/10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nash Equilibrium.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The disparity is getting way too large for teams to care. Sure there has always been discrepancy but now there are really a few teams that can compete against each other and everyone else is fodder. Teams either have three superstars or none and the quality of the products show. The players know too.
    Meh it has always been like this. Look at the Showtime Lakers vs the trash Western Conference of the 1980s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me it's more about the NBA being the WWE where the outcome is manufactured for prime income vs any real compe ion. I'm burned out on Lebron James. He's been in the Finals what, 11 times or something stupid? Imagine how ty the NBA was when the Celtics or Lakers were winning every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh it has always been like this. Look at the Showtime Lakers vs the trash Western Conference of the 1980s.
    For me it's more about the NBA being the WWE where the outcome is manufactured for prime income vs any real compe ion. I'm burned out on Lebron James. He's been in the Finals what, 11 times or something stupid? Imagine how ty the NBA was when the Celtics or Lakers were winning every year.
    Parity has always been an issue in the NBA, unlike the NHL

I don’t why the nhl has so much parity, but maybe Stern Jr can take a page out of Bettman’s book

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don’t why the nhl has so much parity, but maybe Stern Jr can take a page out of Bettman’s book
    Hockey can’t be won by one player. You get lebron, you’re 50% to a championship and guaranteed a playoff spot (unless you’re the lakers). However, the oilers weren’t all that great even with Connor mcdavid and Leon dreisitel. It’s more about team building then superstar hoarding.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Because in hockey, you're as good as your goalie. If he gets hot, you can make a deep run in the postseason. If you don't have a goalie, you can be like the Buffalo Sabres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same with having a solid bullpen in MLB. Get a Glavine, Maddux or the like and you have something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They don't want parity. If they did they wouldn't coax these super teams into existence. When 2 of 30 teams have half the championships, that's pretty telling of a system that has funneled talent to large market franchises to maximize revenue. It's not a coincidence that max revenue happens to be where all these 1st tier players end up.

The NBA went through some real ratings slumps when the Spurs were going strong. They lost Kobe vs Lebron opportunities, and lots more matchups that would have been box office hits. Instead they got the beautiful game... yay.

Thread Information