View Poll Results: Do you want the Spurs to keep DeRozan after this season?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

88 48.89%
  • No

92 51.11%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs can get a PF that can consistently stretch the floor then yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No excuses, brah. You're either a ride or die or not!
    haha i like it. I vote nah. Respect him but time to move on. Byeeee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say let’s roll w/DD. After that I think were one piece away from being top tier. Surely we can add someone this summer. I don’t see any of our young guys becoming a go to guy any time soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of talk about whether or not we want the DeRozan back, but does he want the Spurs back? I will laugh my ass off if we don't trade him and he signs anywhere else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a no from me dawg...or is that die?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team has a higher ceiling with a natural stretch 4 and they need to pursue that instead of keeping Demar.

You know how many teams have won a le with a 2 guard playing power forward ? Me neither

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs can get a PF that can consistently stretch the floor then yes.
    I don't think we do. I think the choice is to overpay deroz, pray for Collins, or overpay rudy gay and mills to short deals and punt to next year. I don't like praying for players without attaching names. Half the teams in the league want the super athletic , tall, curry shooting big. They aren't common.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of talk about whether or not we want the DeRozan back, but does he want the Spurs back? I will laugh my ass off if we don't trade him and he signs anywhere else.
    Very good point. He might not want to remain in SA. And the FA class is bad this summer. So he should have a decent number of teams talking to him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Demar is not going to sign with us he will either end up on West Coast or East Coast - At this point Spurs should now if they going to want to keep him or go in another direction which is fine but for Gods sake if you don’t have plans for him then get a damn trade done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a way to see who's voting what? I wanna know who are my fellow No-Derozanites. I thought there was only like 5 or 6 of us lol count's up to 22 now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s impossible to let him decline and buy him out if we don’t re-sign him. It’s the Spurs way. Gotta give him that partial guaranteed fourth year!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks have space... OKC has space... Chicago could have space but will have Lauri’s RFA to contend with.

then there’s a few a teams that have close to max but not quite max space like Miami and Dallas. Miami has a better player with a similar skillset in Jimmy butler, I suppose I could see Dallas making a run at him but would need to clear space to do so.

Good chance Spurs can offer over 2 years what most teams can offer over 3 or 4 with their available space. Knicks are a factor to be sure, as is Chicago if they see a pairing with Lavine that makes sense. Outside of that- there’s not a whole lot of contenders to offer Demar the 4 year max dollar commitment he might be looking for. A lotta moving parts to this.

for the spurs- a 2 year ~70 million dollar deal locks in a solid leader without long term dollars and makes sense in the timeframe of their youth development. Dallas for example with its ~23 million available without making cap clearing moves could only offer 70 million over the course of 3 years. So while there’s teams who might really want derozan, the money probably isn’t liquid enough to do so here.

Enter for me Danny Ainge and his TPE that he desperately needs to do something with in order to not look like he’s caught holding the Gordon Hayward bag with nothing to show for it. The pressure is on from the Celtic fanbase, and with it looking like the TPE won’t be a factor this deadline- it stands to reason its in play to chase the best FA on the market this summer, Demar. Use that pressure on Ainge to take him to the cleaners and set this franchise up with a young backup center and some picks. Everyone happy until Celtic fans realize they are paying 70 million a year to kemba Walker and Demar derozan.

If the Knicks throw 4 year max money at him you let him ride. There’s your nuanced, long answer. I’m gonna say it’s a no to keeping him overall unless a very specific set of cir stances presents itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mainly bc I’m off team Lonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ayes have it. Derozan stays

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldnt mind seeing him back on a friendly contract, but rather get a pick or prospect for him, even with his flaws losing him in FA would hurt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's Keldon, Lonnie, Vassell, and Luka with contract years in the coming seasons that will be immediately impacted by the decisions that are made this summer

You can see a scenario where if Demar walks money can be afforded to keep most or all 4 of them

If Demar is retained at a 4 year deal not only do you lose the chance of having compe ive money in a giant 2023 FA class, but one or more of that young group of players is going to have to be shipped out or walk. Keep in mind max dollars for a long term veteran like Demar coming off a large contract is going to take up a larger % of the cap in coming seasons than a (worst case scenario financially) max or close to max deal for players like Keldon, Vassell, Lonnie, or whoever else looks to be worthy near decision time.

Sign and trade to Boston is the ideal outcome. Walking to New York or Chicago is the likely outcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's Keldon, Lonnie, Vassell, and Luka with contract years in the coming seasons that will be immediately impacted by the decisions that are made this summer

You can see a scenario where if Demar walks money can be afforded to keep most or all 4 of them

If Demar is retained at a 4 year deal not only do you lose the chance of having compe ive money in a giant 2023 FA class, but one or more of that young group of players is going to have to be shipped out or walk. Keep in mind max dollars for a long term veteran like Demar coming off a large contract is going to take up a larger % of the cap in coming seasons than a (worst case scenario financially) max or close to max deal for players like Keldon, Vassell, Lonnie, or whoever else looks to be worthy near decision time.

Sign and trade to Boston is the ideal outcome. Walking to New York or Chicago is the likely outcome.
    If you keep DeMar on a four year deal, as you described here, it'll be a very similar situation to what the Hawks have now with John Collins (with Lonnie or Keldon being John). The Hawks have an opportunity to get assets for him, and they have enough depth to replace him should he walk. It's not exactly a bad place to be in.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-18-2021 at 10:00 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a DeRozan fan but I say no. Like some have mentioned the kids need playing time. Vassell is a better defender and shooter. KJ is a better defender. I’d rather have Luka playing the 4. It’s a tough decision but he’s taking minutes from the future and the Spurs might as well use that money to sign Lonnie and KJ. I’ll still be rooting for DeRozan until then and even if he re-signs I’m good. One thing I am tired of is DeRozan being the exclusive closer and watching him dribble down killing the clock. Just run the damn offense. That’s on Pop though. Murray or White should have the ball down the stretch it’s been past that time already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The poll results...

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    voted yes because he's due for that game 7 OT buzzer beater

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am shocked that half want this guy around. What do you think you're getting out of it? SMH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm staying true to my original thoughts, and go with NO. In a scenario where none of the young players turn out to be centerpieces/stars, DeMar's just delaying the inevitable (and maybe needed) real tank. And in a scenario where one of the youngings is poised to break out, IMO, DeRozan isn't there - he takes away too many touches and especially 4th quarter opportunities for the youngings to develop. People say the Spurs wouldn't have gone down 23 against the Bulls last game (bull , they've lost worse with him), but the real thing is that they wouldn't have come back to win it with him. Or rather, DD might've hard-carried them to a close game that they might've won, but none of the youngings would've learnt a thing from it. Having them do the struggling, and also the figuring out and winning, is of utmost importance to their development, and DD's presence hinders it.

It's true that no one on the Spurs currently demands as much defensive attention as DeMar, and that he makes the game easier for his teammates. But the way I see it, he's not gonna be around by the time this core of players is ready to contend - so they might as well get to experience "full pressure" of having to carry the team on their shoulders as soon as possible. Along this way, we'll also have an easier time seeing who should stick, and who shouldn't, since we're unlikely to keep all of these players on the team + all of our draft picks to come.

Bye Felicia... Hopefully that Boston S&T materializes for us. Makes too much sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if they sign him at an absolute steal.

If resigned at 2 years @ 15 mil per. Otherwise, I'm good with him walking.

He's still a beta and ineffective once playoff time rolls around. That's not changing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is a good player who, when he’s on, makes the team better. That said, I’m all in on the youth movement going forward. That means saying adios to Rudy Gay, Patty Mills, and all the rest of them too in the off-season.

Thread Information