Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I asked you before, aren't there rules against getting injured players?
    There aren't, at least not anything that would affect a deal like this.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Traded for rights to Lady Calanne

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably a move for next year as he is out for this season. But still not a bad get, he's only 23, and was finally starting to turn a corner last year with the Warriors. He'll never be all-start but has the potential to be a solid bench player.
    The Spurs have cap space, and Chriss doesn’t come with bird rights. If they cared about next season, they could just sign him outright then. This was purely cash grab by Holts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Woj.

how much cash are these types of deals for? you send the spurs money so you can save money on the tax?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. New ownership is needed to fix what's looking to become (if not already) systemic problems in approach.
    Yeah, basically if the Holts can't afford to have a team anymore, they need to give it up. There's no way a modern club can't at least budget to the tax. I get this was a bad year and that next year won't be much better. But it's going to just become easier and easier to cheap out. It doesn't help that they're already selling off pieces to the team. Makes me think they're eventually going to be taken fast by someone who could move the team, and all of that trolling will end up becoming true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I asked you before, aren't there rules against getting injured players?
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There aren't, at least not anything that would affect a deal like this.
    Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, basically if the Holts can't afford to have a team anymore, they need to give it up. There's no way a modern club can't at least budget to the tax. I get this was a bad year and that next year won't be much better. But it's going to just become easier and easier to cheap out. It doesn't help that they're already selling off pieces to the team. Makes me think they're eventually going to be taken fast by someone who could move the team, and all of that trolling will end up becoming true.
    I sure wasn't trolling with my comments. I don't think the Spurs will be in SA by the end of the decade.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    So like this is the nadir for the franchise from an PatFO perspective. Making a deal that does nothing but saves the owners money feels about as bad as it could get. Makes you wonder how cash-poor the Holts are now and if the team is going to basically be the new Suns.
    Every article I've read seems to indicate the rich have gotten richer during the pandemic. Holtcat was already the 5th most wealthy family owned business in the Dallas/FtWorth metroplex back in 2016.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how much cash are these types of deals for? you send the spurs money so you can save money on the tax?
    My guess is probably Chriss' remain money plus a couple hundred thousand bucks. Maybe SA drove a hard bargain and get a million or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every article I've read seems to indicate the rich have gotten richer during the pandemic. Holtcat was already the 5th most wealthy family owned business in the Dallas/FtWorth metroplex back in 2016.
    The billionaires on the whole, and those who own businesses in logistics and fast food and the like got richer. Those like Tillman whose money is in hospitality lost their shirts. You're right that construction probably didn't take that big of a hit. But I'm not sure if the pandemic helped it on the whole.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to see how much cash they saved on moving out Lyles + the Aldridge buyout, compared with what they took on for Chriss. That will dictate if they can go sign someone they actually need.

Look at the bright side - more playing time for Luka, if nothing else.
    Is it tho? Lyles is still here and LMA has been gone forever. Even Lyles hasn’t been getting mine. Trading Rudy would have gotten luka mins

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a great look, to be sure.
    So classy of us to help the team that intentionally injured Kawhi in the playoffs in 2017, which eventually led to the falling out between Nephew and the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice to see us helping GSW out. When are they going to return the favor?
    Sipping wine and speaking woke politics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To use round numbers for example purposes, the Warriors would owe $3 million in taxes if they kept Criss so instead they traded him to the Spurs along with $1 million. The Spurs use that $1 million to buyout the $900,000 Criss has left. Holts profit $100,000.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sure wasn't trolling with my comments. I don't think the Spurs will be in SA by the end of the decade.
    Multiple posters have said a move to Austin makes too much sense. Tech, PE, Elon, etc... make it a rich city. They could keep the brand and move the team to South Austin/Kyle/Buda (I don't think the distance from SA would be materially different than Auburn Hills-Detroit). But with several data points over the past few years, we're seeing a negative trend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So classy of us to help the team that intentionally injured Kawhi in the playoffs in 2017, which eventually led to the falling out between Nephew and the Spurs.
    Eh, helping GS wasn't the bad look. Helping them for something that can't be used for basketball at all, which is seriously just something to go into the Holts' pockets, is the bad look. For the first time in a long time (Red McCombs?) we saw the Spurs unambiguously not prioritize basketball with their moves. It's scary, because now we have less confidence that any subsequent move they make will be to improve the product. Like SA might not sign anyone and hang out near the cap, not to be flexible, but to be cheap. They might make a habit of selling off assets like second-rounders for money. It's potentially really bad, because fans won't stand for it, and that could easily be enough to force a sale and move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beyond ty deadline where spurs couldnt find anyway to help a team that just got blasted by 30 points

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is probably Chriss' remain money plus a couple hundred thousand bucks. Maybe SA drove a hard bargain and get a million or so.
    To use round numbers for example purposes, the Warriors would owe $3 million in taxes if they kept Criss so instead they traded him to the Spurs along with $1 million. The Spurs use that $1 million to buyout the $900,000 Criss has left. Holts profit $100,000.
    thanks fellas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The billionaires on the whole, and those who own businesses in logistics and fast food and the like got richer. Those like Tillman whose money is in hospitality lost their shirts. You're right that construction probably didn't take that big of a hit. But I'm not sure if the pandemic helped it on the whole.
    Well there is a big infrastructure stimulus coming so construction will be doing okay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, helping GS wasn't the bad look. Helping them for something that can't be used for basketball at all, which is seriously just something to go into the Holts' pockets, is the bad look. For the first time in a long time (Red McCombs?) we saw the Spurs unambiguously not prioritize basketball with their moves. It's scary, because now we have less confidence that any subsequent move they make will be to improve the product. Like SA might not sign anyone and hang out near the cap, not to be flexible, but to be cheap. They might make a habit of selling off assets like second-rounders for money. It's potentially really bad, because fans won't stand for it, and that could easily be enough to force a sale and move.
    vegas, baby

the silver and black franchises belong together. my username needs to start making sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So like this is the nadir for the franchise from an PatFO perspective. Making a deal that does nothing but saves the owners money feels about as bad as it could get. Makes you wonder how cash-poor the Holts are now and if the team is going to basically be the new Suns.
    Yeah, this has been my concern all season. Not sure how the team can get an infusion of "cash rich" ownership without losing some integrity in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are multiple teams who could have done the same trade so it was a race to the bottom to see which team would do it for the cheapest amount. The Spurs won that race

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have extracted a 2nd on something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vegas, baby

the silver and black franchises belong together. my username needs to start making sense
    Man, a few years ago, it looked like the Spurs and Raiders might have united in SA. Now it could be the other way?

#XMasLives

Thread Information