Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it's obvious to anybody that's been paying attention. But anyway, here's the article:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021...in-nba-history

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way this team is structured he may have to wait quite a while for that record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real talk: Anybody who was within a hair's width of grabbing a record like that would be gunning for it. You don't run a marathon and then give up after 26.1 miles.

We're not talking about making the best chili in the office....or being the best at playing Mario Bros with your toes....or being the best troll on SpursTalk.

He has a chance to cement his legacy as the BEST REGULAR SEASON COACH OF ALL TIME, on top of already being the best overall coach of all time (regular season+playoffs), 5 championships, 3 COY, and now an Olympic gold.

I know people say Pop doesn't care about accolades and he tries to follow that act, but anybody with any sort of self-respect would feel the same way. You don't give up a chance to be the best at what you do at a high level.

You can call it ego or hubris or whatever...but he has a chance to achieve something that nobody in the NBA has ever accomplished. If you have that chance, you go for it.
    Last edited by Dex; 08-29-2021 at 01:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thought otherwise was just being naive.

25 games to tie? If they play a full season, he gets it easily and retires. Yeah, overall, they suck. But a lot of other teams suck as well and we do have some young guys that should improve again this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way this team is structured he may have to wait quite a while for that record.
    The number of wins he needs would have placed us in 9th draft position last year, and that was a 72 game season. With 82, even a bad team should hit 26 wins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop wanted to win enough games to break the record, then why did he insist on us signing Forbes? It looks more like he is tanking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting the record adds a little more shine to the Golden Age of Spurs basketball. The last on-court accomplishment related to the Spurs Dynasty. Go get it Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can call it ego or hubris or whatever..
    Spurs coach Popovich: I'll retire when Duncan does | FOX Sports

“When he doesn’t think he can, he’ll stop. It might be in the middle of a game. I can see him walking of the court saying ‘Nah, I’m not pulling my weight anymore, I’m gone.’ And he’ll walk. And I’ll be right behind him, like this. No pride, no nothing.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think Pop will be coaching the next two seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs coach Popovich: I'll retire when Duncan does | FOX Sports

“When he doesn’t think he can, he’ll stop. It might be in the middle of a game. I can see him walking of the court saying ‘Nah, I’m not pulling my weight anymore, I’m gone.’ And he’ll walk. And I’ll be right behind him, like this. No pride, no nothing.”
    Keep chasing that dream, buddy. The train left 5 years ago.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so he never said it -

just ty reporting inserting their own opinion...

While he may never say it out loud, according to New York Times reporter Marc Stein via his subscription-based Substack, he has heard “whispers” that Pop really hopes to pass his friend and mentor Don Nelson as the winningest coach in NBA history.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real talk: Anybody who was within a hair's width of grabbing a record like that would be gunning for it. You don't run a marathon and then give up after 26.1 miles.

We're not talking about making the best chili in the office....or being the best at playing Mario Bros with your toes....or being the best troll on SpursTalk.

He has a chance to cement his legacy as the BEST REGULAR SEASON COACH OF ALL TIME, on top of already being the best overall coach of all time (regular season+playoffs), 5 championships, 2 COY, and now an Olympic gold.

I know people say Pop doesn't care about accolades and he tries to follow that act, but anybody with any sort of self-respect would feel the same way. You don't give up a chance to be the best at what you do at a high level.

You can call it ego or hubris or whatever...but he has a chance to achieve something that nobody in the NBA has ever accomplished. If you have that chance, you go for it.
    Not true. Malone clearly could have had the (mostly meaningless, save for the longevity it indicates) all time scoring record.

Winning the most games doesn't automatically = being the best.

Of course I want him to get it for the obvious but also because it'll hopefully expidite his retiring. The thing is, he's went above and beyond to pretend that he doesn't care about those sorts of things, so his whole schtick rings hollow.
    Last edited by TD 21; 08-28-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop needs to get this record for the sake of the franchise and to cement duncan/manu/parkers legacy

go get it gregg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whats the point if u got cucks like rivers/kerr going to catch upto him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol he needs two seasons with this roster to get there. Pop will probably retire one game before to draw more attention to himself.
    Last edited by KingKev; 08-29-2021 at 06:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst kept secret,and retiring after the olympics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I think Pop has earned the right to keep coaching to and beyond the record. In effect, as long as he wants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I think Pop has earned the right to keep coaching to and beyond the record. In effect, as long as he wants.
    He does but if it was for the the BK Nets I wouldn't be mad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it so funny that the posters who have been asking the Spurs to tank for years are suddenly upset that we have built a great tank squad and want to blame PATFO for it.

Having Pop at the helm doesn't change anything...let him get his record and we can still get a top 5 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it so funny that the posters who have been asking the Spurs to tank for years are suddenly upset that we have built a great tank squad and want to blame PATFO for it.

Having Pop at the helm doesn't change anything...let him get his record and we can still get a top 5 pick.
    Just better for all involved if it takes two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be disappointed if Pop wouldn’t do it. I like him to cement the GOAT legacy, as much as I don’t want it to be that opportunistic Phil Jackson. Go Pop Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My dream scenario all along was for Pop to retire this summer and Bud to take the reins. But now that Bud has been extended in Milwaukee, this might be the second best option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever is best for the Spurs.
    Is pop the one best for the young squad development?
    I guess it depends on your viewpoint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And that top pic in your sig is perfection.

Thread Information