Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAlpha doing charity work

PATFO is on pace to start auctioning 2nd round draft picks for cash at this pace..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He left 7,5 mil. That's a lot
    If I remember clearly, Griffin left 13M$

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - how concerned are you about this front office and Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - how concerned are you about this front office and Pop?
    I'm not timvp, but I play one on TV.

The Chriss trade was still bad; there's no other way to slice it. Selling salary space for pure cash is something that usually only bad FO's do. The only way one could be okay with it is if the Spurs are going to use all of their remaining salary space on some acquisition. If they just sit on this salary space, the Chriss trade goes from bad to downright alarming.

However, if the Spurs do use the new-found MLE availability to play the international free-agent market early, it could restore a lot of my faith in PATFO's general competence. Folks might not remember that this year is going to have a later start to free agency than normal, but overseas (especially Europe) will still be on a normal schedule. This could create timing issues for many clubs who want to sign guys who are overseas and might be looking for new deals while the season is still going on here. The Spurs are one of the few teams with legit buying power that doesn't depend on the new year rolling around. If there is someone they like over there, they could face significantly less compe ion to sign them. As I said, there are prospects I've seen folks talking about. If that's the goal, then trying to Baynes them would be true 4D chess.

Likely, they don't sign anyone big and fill the last spots with vets or prospects who don't play while the Holts save even more money. That will be very bad. But there's hope again at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Chriss trade was still bad; there's no other way to slice it. Selling salary space for pure cash is something that usually only bad FO's do. The only way one could be okay with it is if the Spurs are going to use all of their remaining salary space on some acquisition. If they just sit on this salary space, the Chriss trade goes from bad to downright alarming.

However, if the Spurs do use the new-found MLE availability to play the international free-agent market early, it could restore a lot of my faith in PATFO's general competence. Folks might not remember that this year is going to have a later start to free agency than normal, but overseas (especially Europe) will still be on a normal schedule. This could create timing issues for many clubs who want to sign guys who are overseas and might be looking for new deals while the season is still going on here. The Spurs are one of the few teams with legit buying power that doesn't depend on the new year rolling around. If there is someone they like over there, they could face significantly less compe ion to sign them. As I said, there are prospects I've seen folks talking about. If that's the goal, then trying to Baynes them would be true 4D chess.

Likely, they don't sign anyone big and fill the last spots with vets or prospects who don't play while the Holts save even more money. That will be very bad. But there's hope again at least.
    Makes sense but that still doesn’t explain Carroll or getting nothing for any vets and losing them all for nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I remember clearly, Griffin left 13M$
    7,5/24 vs 13/60+ or something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes sense but that still doesn’t explain Carroll or getting nothing for any vets and losing them all for nothing.
    Carroll was the worst thing the FO had done until the Chriss trade. It doesn't need to be lumped with everything. We all agree it's bad.

The Spurs want to make the playoffs this year. That's why they haven't traded their vets. They are using their value to go for the post-season. Any team that trade "something" for them would be trading for the exact same reason. Back when we all thought SA was a likely lottery team, your "lose them for nothing" at ude was a lot stronger. Now, it'd be pretty hard for them to miss the play-in at least. Clearly Gay, Mills and especially DeRozan have given value to the Spurs. Whether that's what you personally wanted is one thing. But by and large, that PATFO wanted (to competed for the playoffs while giving minutes to their youngsters) has been going off as well as they could've hoped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carroll was the worst thing the FO had done until the Chriss trade. It doesn't need to be lumped with everything. We all agree it's bad.

The Spurs want to make the playoffs this year. That's why they haven't traded their vets. They are using their value to go for the post-season. Any team that trade "something" for them would be trading for the exact same reason. Back when we all thought SA was a likely lottery team, your "lose them for nothing" at ude was a lot stronger. Now, it'd be pretty hard for them to miss the play-in at least. Clearly Gay, Mills and especially DeRozan have given value to the Spurs. Whether that's what you personally wanted is one thing. But by and large, that PATFO wanted (to competed for the playoffs while giving minutes to their youngsters) has been going off as well as they could've hoped.

It won't be hard for them to miss the play-in game at all tbh. Pelicans will be right behind the Spurs in a few weeks and they still have a H2H match up in NO that'll basically count as two games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that‘s a great point and would be a huge positive. This team needs some euro players. Are there any interesting players who could have an instant impact?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I‘m not so confident about this team making the playoffs. No 3-point shooters in the starting line up will be a big issue from here on. Teams have figured us out and Pop will have to change the starting line up if he wants to win games

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    It won't be hard for them to miss the play-in game at all tbh. Pelicans will be right behind the Spurs in a few weeks and they still have a H2H match up in NO that'll basically count as two games.
    Yeah, seriously. We have the second hardest remaining schedule and currently on a three game losing streak(soon to be four after tonight)

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything was going according to plan until that Morris twin started one of the worst domino effects we’ve ever seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expected. Thanks for sharing all the tweets folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You’ve made your stance known. I just disagree. The youth got enough good mileage from these guys. Sa wasted every single asset and at a minimum they could have hedged some and still been just as compe ive. Not like Derozan been a +

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’ve made your stance known. I just disagree. The youth got enough good mileage from these guys. Sa wasted every single asset and at a minimum they could have hedged some and still been just as compe ive. Not like Derozan been a +
    But this is the issue -- what you (or I) want doesn't really determine how well the Spurs doing at extracting value. You want the Spurs to "pick a direction". The Spurs want to ride out a gentle transition between their vets and young players. So when you're judging if they're succeeding or not, you have to use their standard instead of yours. That they're still in position to make the playoffs while so many of the young players have gotten minutes shows that they are executing their plan well enough to reach their goals. So they are getting value for their vets by playing them. They are using the value to accomplish the goal they set out before the season. It would be like saying that someone who uses a timeshare (if those still exist) rather than holding onto it or selling it is letting it go "for nothing". Like sure, if you can't accept that that week spent that the resort had value to the people who went, then they wasted it. But if you ask them why they did it and they're like, "Because we needed a vacation", they don't have to keep explaining themselves.

You "agree to disagree" with PATFO, not me. I REALLY don't feel like defending them right now. They've done some awful things recently, but of all the terrible plans they've had, this one is working out as well as they could've expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doing nothing is not a plan. They simply exist and let chips fall where they may with no extra work or attention to detail. And what they say doesn’t jive with what they do. It’s clear they are stuck in two worlds. That’s not a plan imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs plan was to play it year by year and try to stay compe ive for pop and his ego. It didnt work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs plan was to play it year by year and try to stay compe ive for pop and his ego. It didnt work
    That’s fine. I’m not reconciled with how trading would have hurt that plan at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s fine. I’m not reconciled with how trading would have hurt that plan at all.

Have to ask pop& co tbh. Everything since kawhai has been one huge cluster fck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to believe the Spurs sank the value of Aldridge so much that they couldn't even flip him for a young promising player. Obviously Aldridge can't play a lick of D at this point, but the man can still average 15 ppg and heat up from time to time. He should have been traded months ago. What the is going on?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to believe the Spurs sank the value of Aldridge so much that they couldn't even flip him for a young promising player. Obviously Aldridge can't play a lick of D at this point, but the man can still average 15 ppg and heat up from time to time. He should have been traded months ago. What the is going on?
    Agreed he's still a player that can get you 15-7 and like you said occasionally dominate a game. Aldridge will look a lot better once he signs with whatever team he agrees to sign with.

Thread Information