Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, absolutely, hearing that the ownership overrode the FO to make a business-only decision would be a big blow to the FO's (little current) credibility in terms of getting the team back on the map in the near future. It'll be interesting to see whether Pop makes any comments before or after tonight's game regarding the trade deadline, tbh. Also, I don't really see the Chriss trade as much of a trust deal-breaker or something, it's surprising that you're so preoccupied with it. For sure something to keep an eye on though, regarding future moves by the FO, but a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things IMO. We'll see what happens the next few weeks I guess
    The Spurs have for the longest time had the mandate to build the best team possible with the understanding that they couldn't go over the tax. With a couple of notable exceptions that budget has held. They only went over when it was clearly warranted. Now, they were under and just needed to sign a final player. Then they use that space instead to cut the owner a $100k or so check. That's bad. They needed to sign someone, and they've watched decent d-leaguers get snatched up while they sat on their 15th spot. Now, it turns out they have even more salary space than anticipated. If they turn around and again don't make the team better, it will be a huge blow, and it will make me at least wonder if the savings was the most important part of the trade(s) PATFO didn't make. Did they not take back salary in an Aldridge trade to save the owners cash? Did the Lyles deal fall apart because the Mavs wouldn't pay the Holts (not the Spurs) to make it happen? Is the team not making moves because their new budget is going to be way lower than the tax? We don't know. Before, we could trust that outside of the initial budget constraints, PATFO would do whatever they thought was best to make the team win. Now, we know for a fact that they aren't always going to do that, and we'll have to read every subsequent move with that new understanding in mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will this go down another 2 million in an hour or two?!

In all seriousness, I'm not going to boo LMA the next time he plays the Spurs. The "my touches" annoyed me and I wish he had been a better leader but he definitely had his moments and cir stances beyond his control ed the franchise good. We'd be lucky to get another star free agent of his caliber at the time to want to play for the team and choose us over bigger markets. Maybe now, he'd rather get "my ring" instead of "my touches" though. Maybe he'll get his first taste of the Finals at least? Good luck, LMA.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    It keeps getting worse
    just wait tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wait a second, did Aldridge only give back $2.7 million???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wait a second, did Aldridge only give back $1.7 million???
    $2.7 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You caught my ninja edit.

But, yeah, starting to sound like $7.25 million ----> $5.8 million -----> $2.7 million

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so in the end LMA took every penny he could after all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now it’s all starting to make sense PATFO is getting worse every minute

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that enough for Milutinov? Who can Spurs get for 7.25 mil?
    Probably couldn't happen no matter the number of the buyout.

Milutinov's last deal had specific dates where he was allowed to do a buyout. His current deal with CSKA is probably the same.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even enough to cover the Demare Carroll dead money...so disgusting...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow... all right, so I think PATFO was playing 1D chess and still lost.

How to salvage... okay so they should have enough salary space to fill out their roster, even if they waive Chriss. Folks shouldn't forget that his whole contract goes against the Spurs' tax line, not just the remaining bit covered by cash. So the Spurs probably only have like $1.7 Million to use. That's enough for 10-days and to sign guys long-term with the MLE. But obviously, it has nothing to do with Europe or anything cool.

Pure doodoo. Doodoo squared, to be honest.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

How to salvage... okay so they should have enough salary space to fill out their roster, even if they waive Chriss. Folks shouldn't forget that his whole contract goes against the Spurs' tax line, not just the remaining bit covered by cash. So the Spurs probably only have like $1.7 Million to use. That's enough for 10-days and to sign guys long-term with the MLE. But obviously, it has nothing to do with Europe or anything cool.

Timvp mentioned in another thread that they might not even be able to waive Chriss for insurance purposes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *deep breath *

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, by my quick math, the Spurs have $1.8 million and change to spend.

I need log out before that number goes any lower, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp mentioned in another thread that they might not even be able to waive Chriss for insurance purposes.
    Eh, I can't imagine PATFO would be that cheap. Like, even with all this, I straight cannot imagine it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now it's 2.8?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge / Pop slurpers already swallowed.

Let us know if you're ready to be deprogrammed.
    Operators are standing by.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I've heard some spin trying to paint this as a typical cap maneuver. But it's not. It's a straight cash grab, tbh. Even the terrible Scola trade was done to legitimately duck under the luxury tax. This trade was done to profit.

It may become a moot point if the Spurs have someone in mind who costs ~$4 million but, otherwise, it's at the very least worrisome going forward.
    Bingo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA’s 10+ year veteran minimum is
    2,564,753. So I’m guessing that part is prorated and he gets about a 1/3 of that from his new team. So he gave up less than 2.7M

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, by my quick math, the Spurs have $1.8 million and change to spend.

I need log out before that number goes any lower, tbh.

Time to exhale timvp. Join us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I can't imagine PATFO would be that cheap. Like, even with all this, I straight cannot imagine it.

bruh, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to exhale timvp. Join us.
    Yeah, he’s one of us now. It took a while, but he’s seen the light.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yes, this should do a lot toward securing LMA's legacy as a Spur. He basically took a straight contract termination in order to move on. That's a far cry from Leonard getting paid to sit. Really, even if he hated it in SA, LMA had the leverage to give back way less. This shows why SA didn't jump on just any trade for him and why they were willing to announce he was leaving no matter what so early. This probably isn't (just) a "touches" thing. He seems to want his ring if he's willing to give up about $6 Million to get it. It's like a David West-esque sacrifice.

God speed, Aldridge. Classy move at the end. Hopefully PATFO can do something with the money besides line the owners' pockets.
    Too soon, Jr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that SA is actually sending the money to his new team so that he can be properly compensated. This is really bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it me, but did Shams have a bad day today?

Thread Information