Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it me, but did Shams have a bad day today?
    No doubt....he's gonna really have to up his game by the draft to remain relevant..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that SA is actually sending the money to his new team so that he can be properly compensated. This is really bad.
    We’re still paying Carroll and Gasol I think, might as well add more to the checkbooks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that SA is actually sending the money to his new team so that he can be properly compensated. This is really bad.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick thoughts:

-Yeah, if the Spurs knew this was an option, it's no wonder they didn't trade him. Unless they got back a first rounder for him, this was a superior move.

-The Spurs did Aldridge a solid by guaranteeing his final season even though they didn't need to. Aldridge returned the favor by giving back a lot more than he needed to.

-The Spurs still have their MLE and at least one roster spot.

-After this move, they could become buyers on the buyout market.

-The Spurs could also look to Europe/China now with quite a bit of money to spend.

Interesting turn of events
    So much for that. This is the same piece of that demanded a trade from two different teams because he wasn't satisfied with being the second option to both Lillard and Nephew. Spurs show him loyalty by guaranteeing him 25 mil when he's only owed 7 mil and he proceeds to piss on their faces on the way out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call it informed speculation, but I think what happened is Aldridge had agreed to the large buyout, but once his agent realized the Spurs had committed to get Chriss deal and no other deals to lessen the tax burden, he knew he could squeeze the Spurs into paying a lot more.

Threatening to take zero pay cut and forcing the Spurs into the tax made the Spurs fold like cheap sheets.

Spurs got wrecked AGAIN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it me, but did Shams have a bad day today?
    Not any worse than Spurs fans, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re still paying Carroll and Gasol I think, might as well add more to the checkbooks.

haha not gasol but caroll 6 M this year and 1.2 M next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, is it down to $7.25 yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been a rough day for the Sniff Crew tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's true that Chriss can't be waived. Pop just released a statement saying how much of a high character guy Chriss is. He's covering for ownership. Disastrous trade deadline when you combine this with LMA giving back practically nothing.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep expecting to come in this thread an hour later and see the Spurs guaranteed Aldridge 2021-22 money too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep expecting to come in this thread an hour later and see the Spurs guaranteed Aldridge 2021-22 money too.
    For all we know they did to get ownership even more money.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rofl it gets worse in Spurs FO is a joke now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's true that Chriss can't be waived. Pop just released a statement saying how much of a high character guy Chriss is. He's covering for ownership. Disastrous trade deadline when you combine this with LMA giving back practically nothing.
    Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me.

I was 99% sure the source was BSing about the insurance angle ... but it looks legit. I can't even remember a time a team traded for a player and kept him around for insurance purposes. I hold out some hope that it's not true because that's unprecedented, AFAIK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone explain the insurance angle and how it helps ownership save money?

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Ownership has signaled that they have no faith in this team and they will look to make money wherever they can(I partially don't blame them after three consecutive years of buyouts). Only hope at this point would be to tank the rest of the season and nab someone in the lottery that can make a difference to change the ownership's mind. We desperately need a franchise player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The insurance covers his contract as long as he remains on the roster, since he was ruled out for the season way back in the start of the season. The Spurs front office took money from the Warriors to take him, so it clears a roster spot for the Warriors as well as less cap space hit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The insurance covers his contract as long as he remains on the roster, since he was ruled out for the season way back in the start of the season. The Spurs front office took money from the Warriors to take him.
    Thanks. So if they waive him spurs are on hook for his money and not insurance, correct?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, we sold a roster spot that's now unusable...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to exhale timvp. Join us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. So if they waive him spurs are on hook for his money and not insurance, correct?
    Correct. Waiving him nulls the insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I'm hearing ... although I don't know if that's accurate, tbh. NBA contracts and insurance is a murky world. Insurance companies have limits of how many players they cover and can omit certain players from coverage, etc. But it's safe to say if the Spurs don't release a player who they got paid to take who is out for the season, the reason he's not waived is 100% insurance related.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Basically, we sold a roster spot that's now unusable...
    it's like having a second trey lyles.

Thread Information